Announcing the new Transcendence Eight Vacuum Tube Preamp.

MarkM

« Reply #40 on: 30 Aug 2005, 02:02 am »
Had a T-8 preamp show up at work today, perfect excuse in my book to leave early, hey its Monday.

This is my early initial impression only.  I need this thing for a couple of weeks to get into it, burn in time etc.   There has been some anticipation in the AVA circle, so I thought I would throw out a bone.  I easliy put a good 4+hrs listening in today.  

I immediately noticed the dynamics of this preamp.  My Adcom GFP-750 preamp sounds a bit vieled compared to the T-8.  I thought the 750 was pretty darn good for the $$$, but the T-8 at least is initially superior.   Extension at both ends is excellent on the T-8.    My wife noticed an immediate difference, commenting that the music sounded clearer.  Not an audiophile term, but at least I did not have to give her a hint as to what to listen for to convince her this is an upgrade:wink:

Too early to get all excited, but a good start imho.

WEEZ

« Reply #41 on: 30 Aug 2005, 11:11 pm »
MarkM,

You're right, you did indeed throw us a bone.. :lol:

Tell us more when you're ready...

regards,

WEEZ

plaf26

T-8 & Longhorn Grado
« Reply #42 on: 31 Aug 2005, 03:59 am »
OK, guys, I've only had the T-8 in my system for a couple of hours, but on the basis of what I've heard so far, this is a copy of the letter I just e-mailed to Frank--

Dear Frank et al:

Wow!

First, the new Longhorn.  I had all but given up on some of the older records that had belonged to my late brother and me.  The electric organ on my old Mancini mono "Mr. Lucky" used to sound like shattering glass.  Ditto the loud brasses and strings on my brother's mono Morton Gould "Wagon Wheels."  I concluded years ago that it was because we had ruined them with the rusty nails and thumb tacks we used to play them with.  With my new Longhorn the only way I could tell they weren't brand new was the occasional tick, pop, or scuff they had acquired over the last 40-45 years.

Now to the T-8.  I know that "Wagon Wheels" record so well, I can play much of it in my head from memory.  Tonight I heard things on it I'd never heard before.  Ambience and studio sounds, a buzzy string on the bass viol, the difference between the harp and the banjo.  I haven't had time to try all my sources yet, but I'm looking forward to many hours going through everything in our collections.

God bless you and thank you, thank you, thank you!

:D OK for starters?

WEEZ

« Reply #43 on: 31 Aug 2005, 10:17 pm »
Hi plaf,

Tell me more about the general character of the T-8. Would you say it is forward? i.e.- 1st or 2nd row?- or further back in the hall sound.

I keep using the term 'relaxed' as a goal of mine. By that I mean 'whole', 'deep', 'full'- but still neutral. (not syrupy or tooby), just smooth and natural.

Thanks, and congratulations on your new AVA gear  :mrgreen:

WEEZ

plaf26

« Reply #44 on: 2 Sep 2005, 05:05 am »
Geez, WEEZ, I dunno.  I'm not used to listening for those things.  (Do I have to turn in my audiophile credentials?) :oops: I've always thought a lot of that depends on how the recording session was miked, speaker placement, listening position, cartridge choice (in the case of LPs), etc.  I don't have my Omega III Pat-5 anymore to A-B things, but I will say I don't have to turn up the gain as much as I used to, if that's any help.  Have been listening mostly to my old LPs (whatta phono section!), so still have a lot of other listening to do yet.

plaf26

« Reply #45 on: 9 Oct 2005, 04:44 am »
Continue to be amazed at the T8's phono section.  Spent today listening to 78's with the help of a brand new Tech 12 (modified by KABUSA, but that's another story).  Some years ago was trying to decide between one of Frank's Super Pas models and the Omega I ended up with.  The detail of the SS compared to the rounded corners of the tuber made me literally do this:  :o .  But the T8 has 'em both beat by a country mile.   :thumb: Take it from an old ham radio operator: :nono: never underestimate the importance of the power supply.  Frank demonstrated this over 20 years ago and he only gets better at it.  I'm convinced it's much of what's behind the success of the T8.

WEEZ

« Reply #46 on: 9 Oct 2005, 01:31 pm »
8)

You're wetting my appetite...

WEEZ

guest1632

« Reply #47 on: 14 Oct 2005, 08:33 pm »
Quote from: WEEZ
8)

You're wetting my appetite...

WEEZ

Hey Weez, You still should go for the T7, because Frank says it's better than the T8. He's probably one of the few people out there that says if this is so, then take his word on it.

Ray

Charles Calkins

« Reply #48 on: 14 Oct 2005, 09:17 pm »
If Frank says it's so then you can bet your sweet bippy that it is so.
I wouldn't trade my T7ECR for anything that's out there these days. I'm one very happy camper.

Cheers
                                                 Charlie

Dan Kolton

« Reply #49 on: 14 Oct 2005, 10:39 pm »
I'll second that emotion, Charles.

guest1632

« Reply #50 on: 14 Oct 2005, 11:02 pm »
Quote from: Dan Kolton
I'll second that emotion, Charles.

Well, there you go Weez. Thanks Charles and Dan for the seconds.

WEEZ

« Reply #51 on: 15 Oct 2005, 05:10 pm »
:mrgreen:

Charles Calkins

« Reply #52 on: 15 Oct 2005, 05:17 pm »
Yo Weez!!!!

Now do you get it????

Cheers
                     Dad

WEEZ

« Reply #53 on: 15 Oct 2005, 09:14 pm »
:wave: