Announcing the new Transcendence Eight Vacuum Tube Preamp.

avahifi

Full three year parts and labor warranty, 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

AVA announces the brand new Transcendence Eight pure vacuum tube preamplifier. It is priced the same as the now discontinued Transcendence Six SLR hybrid preamplifier but significantly outperforms the current Transcendence Seven premium hybrid preamplifier.

Base price $949, phono option $249, remote control option $299. Shipping $15 anywhere in the continental USA.

We had to build this astonishing little preamp to keep up with our new Ultimate 70 vacuum tube power amplifier. The phono section is simply amazing.

Complete with six sets of line level inputs, two sets tape outputs, two sets audio outputs, hybrid buffered headphone amplifier, output mute circuit protection. Circuits use a high speed analog high voltage regulator for the B+ supplies and plus and minus 12V regulated supplies for the tube heaters and headphone buffers.

This is the vacuum tube preamp you have been hoping for but never found before. No limitations, just music. Shipping now, as is a just upgraded Transcendence Seven series hybrid preamp.

Note that all Transcendence Seven series preamps and Fet Valve amplifiers shipped since May 1, 2005 incorporate major circuit improvements too.  There will be nice faceplate restyling features coming soon on these upgraded models, but until they are ready, the prices have not increased. Prices will go up to cover the extensive extra costs when the new styling bits are ready to ship.

For the time being, you can get the new circuits without any price increases.

Call me at 651-330-9871 for more details.

Frank Van Alstine

skrivis

Re: Announcing the new Transcendence Eight Vacuum Tube Pream
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2005, 02:29 pm »
Quote from: avahifi
Full three year parts and labor warranty, 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

AVA announces the brand new Transcendence Eight pure vacuum tube preamplifier. It is priced the same as the now discontinued Transcendence Six SLR hybrid preamplifier but significantly outperforms the current Transcendence Seven premium hybrid preamplifier.

Base price $949, phono option $249, remote control option $299. Shipping $15 anywhere in the continental USA.

We had to build this astonishing little preamp to keep up with ...

What about the T-5?

Where do the OmegaStar preamps now fit into the line-up in terms of performance?

MarkM

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2005, 02:59 pm »
Will this be offered in kit form :D  as the previous Six was available as a kit?  Was considering the 7 this fall, but the Eight might be the best value with the phono, remote and plain Jane faceplate.

NealH

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2005, 03:50 pm »
What is the tube complement in this preamp?

Zheeeem

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2005, 04:12 pm »
Frank,  For those of us who have recently purchased a T-7, what would the cost and benefit of upgrading be?  Jim Willis

avahifi_lj

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jul 2005, 05:44 pm »
Quote from: skrivis
What about the T-5?

Where do the OmegaStar preamps now fit into the line-up in terms of performance?

Hello:

The T5 has also been discontinued in both the kit and assembled version.

The OmegaStar preamp has not been changed -- it is still one of the flagship products (and one of the most popular products) in our line.  Note that the OmegaStar SL preamp is available in kit form.

Larry

avahifi_lj

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jul 2005, 05:51 pm »
Quote from: MarkM
Will this be offered in kit form :D  as the previous Six was available as a kit?  Was considering the 7 this fall, but the Eight might be the best value with the phono, remote and plain Jane faceplate.

Hi Mark:

No we won't be offering the T8 as a kit.  Our most popular preamp kits have been the solid state preamps.  The OmegaStar kits are much easier to build because of the open design of the chassis and smaller board needed in the OmegaStar preamp.

Thanks for the question!

Larry

avahifi_lj

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jul 2005, 06:04 pm »
Quote from: rnhood
What is the tube complement in this preamp?

Hello:

The line section uses two 12AT7 tubes and the phone section, if equiped, uses two 12AXT tubes.

Thanks

Larry

skrivis

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jul 2005, 08:12 pm »
Quote from: avahifi_lj
What about the T-5?

Hello:

The T5 has also been discontinued in both the kit and assembled version.

The OmegaStar preamp has not been changed -- it is still one of the flagship products (and one of the most popular products) in our line.  Note that the OmegaStar SL preamp is available in kit form.

Larry

No, I wasn't asking whether the OS preamp had been changed, but where it now fits in the entire lineup in terms of performance.

Now that I know that both the T-5 and T-6 are gone, it's obvious where the OS preamp fits in. :-)

What I'm really wondering now is who would buy a T-7 when the T-8 is cheaper and better? :-)

skrivis

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jul 2005, 08:15 pm »
Quote from: avahifi_lj
Quote from: MarkM

Hi Mark:

No we won't be offering the T8 as a kit.  Our most popular preamp kits have been the solid state preamps.  The OmegaStar kits are much easier to build because of the open design of the chassis and smaller board needed in the OmegaStar preamp.

Thanks for the question!

Larry

That's a shame. I had been toying with the idea of a T-5 kit to replace my old SuperPAS, and a T-8 kit would be better yet.

I can understand not wanting to do the extra work for an item with limited appeal though...

skrivis

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jul 2005, 08:35 pm »
Another interesting thing about all this...

It seemed to be originally indicated that tubes could possibly perform better than SS as voltage amps - except that they're not so good at driving real world loads.

So the T-6, with current buffers (like maybe the TI xDSL line drivers?) performed better than the T-5, and the T-7 was better yet because it's all discrete and can be fully optimized.

I assume that the switch from 12AX7 to 12AT7 gave a bit more current drive, and changed things around. (Or I guess you could say that Mithat has changed everything. :-)

If the T-8 is all tube and performs better than the T-7, then it looks like tubes are just fine for driving real world loads after all.

What might the future hold? Are the MOSFETs in the T-7 the limiting factor? Or will more work push the hybrid concept back into the lead?

Will this development change the AVA DACs too? How does it effect the FV amps?

Just a-wonderin' here. hehe

avahifi_lj

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jul 2005, 09:04 pm »
What I'm really wondering now is who would buy a T-7 when the T-8 is cheaper and better? :-)

Very valid question regarding the T7 and T8.

Here are a couple of clarifications:

The new T8 is a better performer than the older T7 series of preamps.  The T8 adds more detail and depth without adding any harshness.  The line section and phono section are 100% tube, with no solid state devices (unlike the T5 that had solid state components in the phone section).  The power supply in the T8 also uses an active regulator circuit that was not in either the T5 or T6.  Note that the phono section in this preamp is pretty amazing!

The T7R series is also being replaced with (a yet to be named as far as I know) preamp that has some significant audio circuit changes along with changes in the power supply.  The new preamp is due out shortly in a new redesigned chassis.  The new preamp takes the patented Fet-Valve circuit and greatly enhances it, both in the line stage and the phono stage.  During our prototype sessions we were all blown away with the sound from the "first" prototype.  What we finally ended up with in a production unit is much better yet.  When I compare it to the Fet-Valve preamp design I originally purchased in 1997, it's night and day different.

We pretty much finished up the electronics back in late April, and started on the chassis rework.  Knowing that the new preamp was a big improvement over the T7R we didn't want to continue sending out the T7R models, but because of the lead time in getting sheet metal and face plates we (Frank) decided to incorporate the new circuit changes in the existing T7R product line that is still in the existing SL and EC chassis; therefore, all of the T7 preamps that have shipped since May 1, 2005 have had the new circuit designs incorporated into the preamp at no additional charge.  

So those that purchased the T7SLR and T7ECR actually got a FANTASTIC deal on the new preamp.  The new preamp will be higher priced when it is "officially" released in the new chassis.  So for now, if you order a T7SLR or a T7ECR you will get the new preamp design in the existing SL or EC chassis at the existing T7 price!!

So in summary, while the T8 outperforms the T7R series, we are talking about the T7R preamps prior to May 1.  The newer preamps that yet to have an official name are a CONSIDERABLE jump the old T7 and naturally all of the other Transcendence models.  It's been a busy spring!!!

Let me know if you have questions...

Thanks

Larry

WEEZ

« Reply #12 on: 7 Jul 2005, 10:17 pm »
Wow. Two new preamps!   :D

My question(s) relate to compatibility. It has been previously stated that the output impedence of the AVA pre-amps is (was) around 560 ohms. It has also been stated previously that AVA pre-amps will drive a 10k/1000pf load.

1) Any problems with the T-8 driving a solid state amp with an input z of 24k thru cables long enough to have around 300pf- give or take?

2) Does the T-8 invert phase?

3) Will the tape output buffer still be available on the T-8?

Thanks in advance. Oh, will the chassis size change with the 'new look'?

WEEZ

Charles Calkins

« Reply #13 on: 7 Jul 2005, 11:07 pm »
Frank and Larry:
 I'm chomping at the bit waiting for my T7ECR to get here. Hope it's very soon.

Cheers
                              Charlie

WEEZ

« Reply #14 on: 8 Jul 2005, 01:21 am »
skrivis,

In my limited understanding, the small tubes in a pre-amp do not see anywhere near as difficult a load as the power tube(s) driving a loudspeaker. An output transformer is common on tube amps.

The pre-amp will see a relatively constant load (i.e., the input of the amplifier). Provided there is no (or minimal) capacitance at the amp input; and the input impedence is high enough- there shouldn't be too much of a drive problem. (Frank, correct me if I'm wrong!).

I know of one tubed pre-amp that uses 12AT7 gain tubes; then the voume pot; then an output stage using 7044 triodes (as a buffer) providing an output impedence of around 50 ohms. The output stage uses 30uf coupling capacitors so it would seemingly drive even 600-1000 ohm headphones direct!

I'm pretty sure that tubes in a pre-amp can drive most amplifiers- hence, my questions above.

:|

WEEZ

skrivis

« Reply #15 on: 8 Jul 2005, 10:39 am »
Quote from: WEEZ
skrivis,

In my limited understanding, the small tubes in a pre-amp do not see anywhere near as difficult a load as the power tube(s) driving a loudspeaker. An output transformer is common on tube amps.

The pre-amp will see a relatively constant load (i.e., the input of the amplifier). Provided there is no (or minimal) capacitance at the amp input; and the input impedence is high enough- there shouldn't be too much of a drive problem. (Frank, correct me if I'm wrong!).

I know of one tubed pre-amp th ...

Loudspeakers do tend to be a difficult load to drive. And small-signal tubes in a preamp don't push anywhere near the current required of a power amp.

However, a preamp needs to be able to handle all kinds of exotic cables, some of which may not be optimal. Not all amps have gentle input parameters either. There are also people who use passive crossovers between the preamp and power amps for biamping or triamping or whatever. Then there are tape recorders, and they can present a nasty load. (In the AVA preamps I've seen, tape recorders are mainly only a problem for the phono stage, since the tape out is before the line stage.)

The stated purpose for the FV circuits was to use tubes for the front end, where they excel, and then use MOSFETs to isolate the tubes from real world loads. That's why the T-8 makes me curious. :)

avahifi_lj

« Reply #16 on: 8 Jul 2005, 01:26 pm »
Quote from: WEEZ
Wow. Two new preamps!   :D

My question(s) relate to compatibility. It has been previously stated that the output impedence of the AVA pre-amps is (was) around 560 ohms. It has also been stated previously that AVA pre-amps will drive a 10k/1000pf load.

1) Any problems with the T-8 driving a solid state amp with an input z of 24k thru cables long enough to have around 300pf- give or take?

2) Does the T-8 invert phase?

3) Will the tape output buffer still be available on the T-8?

Thanks in advance. Oh, will the chassis size change with the 'new look'?

WEEZ

Hi:

The new preamps have the same drive capabilities as the older versions, including the output impedance.  The T8 does not invert the phase at the output.  We will continue to offer the OmegaStar tape buffers in both the T8 and the new T7 replacement.  As for the case details:  I have been sworn to secrecy on the new design.....

Thanks for your interest in AVA products!

Larry

drystream

« Reply #17 on: 8 Jul 2005, 01:34 pm »
It's kind of a bummer that a T7ECR that was supposed to be leading edge gear in January is now old hat, a few months later.

I can understand you not wanting to cut off the revenue flow while new product is introduced, but what about the guy who got the last 'old' unit off the bench? :cry:

avahifi_lj

« Reply #18 on: 8 Jul 2005, 02:54 pm »
Quote from: drystream
It's kind of a bummer that a T7ECR that was supposed to be leading edge gear in January is now old hat, a few months later.

I can understand you not wanting to cut off the revenue flow while new product is introduced, but what about the guy who got the last 'old' unit off the bench? :cry:

Hi:

I completely understand your concern.  I, for example, recently purchased an iPod MP3 player.  Two months later Apple came out with a new and upgraded version (color screen and photo capabilities) for the same price I paid.  If I had "only waited two months" I could have gotten the new one, but I didn't.  I based my decision on what was available at the time even though I fully anticipated that a new version would some day replace what I was purchasing.  The good thing is that I have had a ball playing with the iPod for two months.

Technology is constantly changing and we have to keep up with it.  If we don't try and improve our products we run the risk of going out of business because we slip way behind the competition.  One way we try an lessen the impact of changing technology is to try and offer upgrades to previous systems.  This allows the customer to enjoy their system, yet keep up with the latest changes if they want to.  We have many customers purchase a system and enjoy it for decades.  We have others who upgrade frequently because the want the latest in technology.

Give Frank a call at 651-330-9871 and he can give you details on upgrade options.

Thanks!

Larry

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #19 on: 30 Jul 2005, 12:37 pm »
So how does the T8 compare to other $500 - $1000 tube preamps (outside the AVA realm)?

I may be in the market for a pre-amp and was looking at the Juicy Music Merlin ($600) or Decware SE84CSP ($640) as I only need two line level inputs.  I'm not really interested in a $300 mute/volume control remote, but I appreciate the AVA practical approaches to add-ons, upgrade paths, etc.  The additional $300 or so above the cost of the others listed is an issue with me.