bicycles

beat

bicycles
« Reply #100 on: 18 May 2005, 05:02 am »
Quote from: jermmd
I just bought a Fezzari Abajo....  I'm no bike expert so I really don't know how this bike compares to others but it sure beats my old KMart special.  Here's the link I posted earlier:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?prodid=11042400&whse=&topnav=&cat=&s=1

This looks like the killer deal unless you consider used....Bundee, If there are so many "used" bikes for sale in your hood, I'd go that route!!   :lol:

ctviggen

bicycles
« Reply #101 on: 18 May 2005, 02:11 pm »
Costco sells nice bikes?  Who'd've thunk it?

beat

bicycles
« Reply #102 on: 19 May 2005, 03:27 am »
Bundee,
In all seriousness, I think what might fit you best is not so much of a mountain bike but more of a hybrid or road bike. Used is the way to go for bang for the buck. Any bike will help get you in shape as long as you ride hard enough and your posture is correct which is why I say you might want to cosider a tried but true road bike...OR..get a decent old mt. bike and put thinner road tires on it. A friend of mine consistently sees older cannondales at pawn shops for 100-150 and all you'd have to do is update it and give it a tune up. If you go new you can get a decent tanker at best. If you go vintage, you can possibly score a nice hand made frame that needs some work but it will be worth it. The frame is where all the efficiency and good feel/springiness comes from. A good frame is worth alot more than good parts. You can sometimes find a killer italian vintage road frame at a thrift store for 20 bucks but you gotta know what to look for. Those are my favorite scores because you can throw money at them to fix em up and not feel bad 'cause they feel so sweet. How you ride makes more of a difference than what you ride. You might look at something like this if you want ready to go.

http://sporting-goods.listings.ebay.com/_Cycling_Road-Bikes-Parts_Klein_W0QQa14Z30326QQalistZa14QQfclZ3QQfromZR2QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ2QQgcsZ1516QQpagetypeZ2QQpfidZ1841QQpfmodeZ2QQreqtypeZ2QQsacatZ22680QQsocdpfcatZ98084QQsocmdZListingItemList

I hope that helps,
beat

bundee1

bicycles
« Reply #103 on: 19 May 2005, 03:48 am »
Thanks beat that does help. So a used Klein bike.

I have looked at used bikes in my neighborhood but I dont want the bad karma of buying a stolen bike in my hood. Plus I dont want an angry deliveryman chasing me down the block with a meat cleaver.

birdwizard

bicycles
« Reply #104 on: 19 May 2005, 03:49 am »
Quote from: bundee1
Hey guys maybe you can help me out as well. I live in a semi ghetto neighborhood where a lot of bikes get stole. I want a $300 mountain bike that I can paint black and ride around to get in shape. Any suggestions? Im 5'11 180lbs. Any good place to get them in NYC?

I got this bike 2 months ago for $329, and its been
sheer delight every since:

http://www2.trekbikes.com/Bikes/City_Bike_Path/Hybrid/FX/7200_FX/print.php

This bike is very fast for a low priced hybrid :)

Christof

bicycles
« Reply #106 on: 30 May 2005, 05:36 pm »
Anyone here want  to sell or trade one of their mtn bikes?  Time to retire my frankenstein Paramount R30 w/ vintage Lawwill Leader.

peace
c.

jackman

bicycles
« Reply #107 on: 30 May 2005, 10:37 pm »
I love bikes but would like to give a slightly different opinion.  I'd suggest checking out a bike shop in your area and make sure you get the right bike for your style of riding and size.  I used to ride a lot and could always tell the guys who bought a wrong sized bike because they got a "good deal".  It's kind've funny because the wrong size bike will not be fun to ride no matter how much it cost new and how good a deal you got.  

Make sure the geometry and riding position is comfortable to you.  Someone gave good advice on frame material.  Those fat tubed aluminum bikes might look cool but your ass might beg to differ on a long ride.  Well made bikes with steel frames (Reynolds, Columbus, etc., not standard cro-mo) are hard to find (most manufacturers switched to aluminum), they can potentially rust if you're not careful, are heavier than aluminum but they are much more fun to ride.

There are some aluminum bikes that offer a decent ride (Yeti, Ibis, etc.) but they are pretty expensive.  Well made steel just feel right.  Much more comfortable on long rides and more fun on twisty mountain trails.  

Titanium, carbon fiber, scandium, and other exotic materials have their strengths but they can be insanely expensive.  Also, full (rear) suspension bikes can be a waste of money unless you live in a part of the country where you can enjoy them.  Most have lots of moving parts that will wear out with time or require extensive maintainence as linkage loosens up or breaks over time.  Plus, there is a weight premium and efficiency premium with rear suspension systems (unless you are willing to spend big $'s).  

Some good bikes (IMO) to look for if you can find them used (in your size!) are:

Bontrager Race or Racelite (hard to find but cool)
Older Yeti steel framed hardtails
Fat Chance Bikes (now Independent Fabrication) from NY
Older Salsa Steel framed bikes
Older Ibis (out of business) bikes
Schwinn Homegrown (made in Durango by Yeti)
Rocky Mountain steel

I like USA Made steel frames but that pretty much means you have to buy used.  Buying a bike that is already put together (versus buying a frame and components later) is usually much less expensive.  My rule of thumb is to get the bike with the best frame (build quality, size, etc.) and upgrade components as you break them...or as you find them on sale.

Good luck!

J

PhilNYC

bicycles
« Reply #108 on: 30 May 2005, 10:45 pm »
Quote from: jackman
Fat Chance Bikes (now Independent Fabrication) from NY

FYI - Independent Fabrications is based in Somerville, MA.  The founders used to be part of Fat Chance Bikes, also originally in Somerville.  But when Chris Chance (FC's founder) sold the company to Serotta, he moved to NY and left the people in his company hanging (Serotta basically bought Chris' name and his design skills, not his building skills).  Those people got irate, founded IF and vowed to stay in Somerville.  Here is their story:

http://www.ifbikes.com/who2/beginning.shtml

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm a proud owner of one of the last Fat Chance mountain bike frames to be built in Somerville by the talented folks who now make up IF Bikes....

jackman

bicycles
« Reply #109 on: 30 May 2005, 10:51 pm »
Quote from: PhilNYC
FYI - Independent Fabrications is based in Somerville, MA.  The founders used to be part of Fat Chance Bikes, also originally in Somerville.  But when Chris Chance (FC's founder) sold the company to Serotta, he moved to NY and left the people in his company hanging (Serotta basically bought Chris' name and his design skills, not his building skills).  Those people got irate, founded IF and vowed to stay in Somerville.  Here is their story:

http://www.ifbikes.com/who2/beginning.shtml

As ment ...

Sorry, my mistake.  Serotta, I believe, is based in NY.  I stand corrected.  I read the story about the IF people trying to buy another really great bike making company from MA, Merlin, which was owned by Saucany and eventually sold to Litespeed in TN.  It's too bad because the IF folks seem like my kind of people.  I love to buy from independent shops that hand make their stuff.  Kind've like the Phil Bamberg, Frank Van Alstine, Dave Ellis types of the bike world!

I always look for a used Moots or Merlin bike on Ebay but they are usually out of my price range.  I am still pissed about missing out on a perfect NOS Yo Eddy at a local shop two years ago.  The shop was going out of business and the bike was selling for less than the new ones I have seen on ebay.  You are lucky to have such a cool ride!

Cheers,

J

PS- I must be getting old because I still find this Yo very cool looking: http://www.fatcogs.com/

Christof

bicycles
« Reply #110 on: 31 May 2005, 09:55 pm »
Can a good American made hardtail be had on the used market for under $1K complete or are these days gone?

KJ

bicycles
« Reply #111 on: 31 May 2005, 10:32 pm »
Definitely.  If you know what layout and frame size you prefer I'd check out the classifieds at www.mtbr.com.  However, the quality of components and condition will significantly impact the price.  I'd advise that you try and find something local so you can take it for a test ride, but the above mentioned site will give you an idea of what you can get for your money.

-KJ

Christof

Lawwill Leader
« Reply #112 on: 4 Jun 2005, 09:20 pm »
Anyone have any interest in a Lawwill Leader front linkage shock?  I'm parting out my old KHS Team and will no longer be using it.

CornellAlum

bicycles
« Reply #113 on: 5 Jun 2005, 03:59 am »
If anyone has a cheap bike they want to unload, I need one...preferrably something less than say, 500 clams, mountain bike!

jackman

bicycles
« Reply #114 on: 5 Jun 2005, 05:41 am »
Quote from: Christof
Can a good American made hardtail be had on the used market for under $1K complete or are these days gone?

You can probably get a nice Cannondale, Klein, or Schwinn Homegrown hardtail for that price.  Aluminum but well built.  I'd keep my eyes open for a good steel bike.  

Good luck!

J

Levi

bicycles
« Reply #115 on: 18 Aug 2005, 03:06 am »
Quote from: Levi
I have a Litespeed Obed Ti frame w/White Industries Ti Hubs, Shimano XT groupo, custom wheels by Kovachi, [Ringle {moby post, Ti skewers, stem}], Paul components brakes and Chris King headset.   Total weight is sub >19lbs. 8)

I used to do lots of trail riding in GA.  It is now wearing a pair of road slicks :(   Nothing really beats spending hours in the woods :o

Levi

Updated Litespeed bike with complete XTR Groupo, Rock Shox SID, Thompson Elite seat post etc.  I managed to drop another pound! sub 18Lbs :mrgreen:  

XTR

Anyone has Mavic Crossmax SL wheels?  

Levi

KJ

bicycles
« Reply #116 on: 18 Aug 2005, 03:16 am »

Been using the Mavic CrossMax Enduro Disc with good success.  Can't speak to the SL wheel specifically.

-KJ

Levi

bicycles
« Reply #117 on: 18 Aug 2005, 04:00 am »
Quote from: KJ

Been using the Mavic CrossMax Enduro Disc with good success.  Can't speak to the SL wheel specifically.

-KJ

Thanks KJ.

I am wondering if the Crossmax SL cassette hub if they are any good.  That is if it is compared to DT, Hope, White Industries hubs etc.  Hmmm...

SET Man

bicycles
« Reply #118 on: 19 Aug 2005, 12:59 am »
Updated Litespeed bike with complete XTR Groupo, Rock Shox SID, Thompson Elite seat post etc.  I managed to drop another pound! sub 18Lbs :mrgreen:  

XTR

Levi

Levi,

Hey! That is very light for that type of bike! :D So, how about we go for a ride in the city sometime?

Hmmm... we should start an "Audio Circle Cycling Team"  :D If I had money I would get a custom skinsuit with AC logo on it. :lol: Anyone want to sponsor :wink:

Take care and ride safe,
Buddy :thumb:

BikeWNC

bicycles
« Reply #119 on: 19 Aug 2005, 01:08 am »
Very nice bike!  But it looks like it has never seen a trail (too clean and look at those tires).  Put some knobbies on it.  Let it have a little self respect.   :lol:   It's a mountainbike.