bicycles

SET Man

Re: bicycles
« Reply #180 on: 15 Jul 2006, 02:14 am »

My 700Cx23's at 150-160 PSI area are still the best ride I have ever had... They just will not stay on my rim. I need a guage... Oh well.

If your talking clinchers at that pressure, there's a risk of the rim failing.  Most clincher wheels are only rated to around 130 psi max.  Also, the tires themselves are mostly rated to around 120 psi or less with the few exceptions to 145 or so.  Regardless, unless you ride on some glass-like smooth roads less pressure will actually reduce the rolling resistance and increase forward speed.  Just my experience, but I think you should be careful with using lots of air pressure.

Andy

Destroyer, I agreed with Andy. First you need a decent PSI gauge and If the tires are not staying on the rims than there is something wrong there. 160psi is very high make sure that your rim could take that.

Also, how old is your bike? And how old are your wheelset? Are they came with the bike? I'm saying that because older road bike will have wheelset with older tire sizing and they are not compatible with the current 700 or 650 wheelset standard.

Here is the link about tire sizing

I'm currently have Michelin Pro2 Race 700x25c link... http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=2092004115326&codePage=2092004115326_10092004141805&lang=EN

...on my 2004 Klein Aura V link... http://www.kleinbikes.com/us/road_bikes/archives/2004/2004_aura/2004_aura_v/index.html

And the recommended psi are from 73psi-102psi, a bit higher with the 23c. Acorrding to Michelin the Correct PSI  link..http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=8092004154733&codePage=8092004154733_17092004111118&lang=EN for my wieght of which about 140lbs or 64kgs is about 95psi to 100psi. I'm using 100psi and they perfrom excellent with great cornering. :D

Anyway, still this psi thing is just guide line.... you have to find your own comfort zone but should still be within the recommended psi for your tire. :D

Take care and ride safely,
Buddy :thumb:

Folsom

« Reply #181 on: 15 Jul 2006, 08:30 am »
I have no idea what my rims are rated for...

The tires are 175 PSI. I would not say they were 175 PSI unless they where.

I 100% disagree with your pressure and rolling resistance thoughts. If I flatten my tires out (almost all tires for me) it becomes a ride uphill on flatland, it sucks nuts, and hence I like high as possible PSI.

According to the one website my wheels (steel) are good for 18-36 area.

The correct pressure graph is useless, but at a guesstimation 160psi would not even be enough for me.

Folsom

« Reply #182 on: 8 Aug 2006, 04:36 am »
Fixie!

Levi

« Reply #183 on: 8 Aug 2006, 12:29 pm »
Nice bike.  What size frame is that?  It looks like you are over 6foot or simply have very long legs! :o

Folsom

« Reply #184 on: 11 Aug 2006, 05:37 am »
I am 6'2" so 60-63cm seem to fit me quiet well.

PhilNYC

« Reply #185 on: 3 Oct 2006, 03:27 pm »
Just posted a few pics of my bikes to my gallery...

Fat Chance Yo Eddy!

Cinelli Supercorsa

SET Man

« Reply #186 on: 3 Oct 2006, 08:51 pm »
Just posted a few pics of my bikes to my gallery...

Fat Chance Yo Eddy!

Cinelli Supercorsa

Hey!

Very nice Phil. :D I like your Cinelli road bike with it classic look and geometry :D

Much be fun riding that along the road (9W?) in NJ. :D

Take care,

Bemopti123

« Reply #187 on: 3 Oct 2006, 11:20 pm »
Fixie!

there is something indelibly simple and yummie about fixies!  that is the new SET in cycling people!
I love to have a nice, steel frame with a fixie gear.

PhilNYC

« Reply #188 on: 3 Oct 2006, 11:59 pm »

Hey!

Very nice Phil. :D I like your Cinelli road bike with it classic look and geometry :D

Take care,

9W is a great ride!  My home is only about a mile off, so maybe all of you Rave cyclists should come by on your bikes one day... :thumb:

Did you notice the down-tube shifters on my Cinelli?  Those are non-indexed...!  And my mtn bike has thumb-shifters.  Both bikes are steel...

SET Man

« Reply #189 on: 5 Oct 2006, 04:11 am »

Hey!

Take care,

9W is a great ride!  My home is only about a mile off, so maybe all of you Rave cyclists should come by on your bikes one day... :thumb:

Did you notice the down-tube shifters on my Cinelli?  Those are non-indexed...!  And my mtn bike has thumb-shifters.  Both bikes are steel...

Hey!

Phil, that sound like a plan. It would be fun to for me to ride my Klein road bike on the 9W :D It would be fun to have other Ravers joining... than you could be the team leader since you know your way around there.

But that would mean that I have to ride my bike all the way from NYC all to your place than ride back to NYC. Man! how many miles that will be? I hope I won't bottom out before I get to your place :lol:

Hey! will there be a BBQ after the ride? :drool: :lol:

Take care,

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #190 on: 5 Oct 2006, 04:18 am »
Buddy....Its about 23 miles one way from your place to Phil's....good exercise... :thumb:

GHM

« Reply #191 on: 5 Oct 2006, 04:32 am »
Wish I was closer...I normally ride by myself along a riverwalk nearby. Lately I've been lazy..doing only 20 mile rides. I'll have to work back up to 40 miles.I gotta break my butt cheeks in again! :lol:

PhilNYC

« Reply #192 on: 5 Oct 2006, 11:43 am »
Phil, that sound like a plan. It would be fun to for me to ride my Klein road bike on the 9W :D It would be fun to have other Ravers joining... than you could be the team leader since you know your way around there.

But that would mean that I have to ride my bike all the way from NYC all to your place than ride back to NYC. Man! how many miles that will be? I hope I won't bottom out before I get to your place :lol:

Hey! will there be a BBQ after the ride? :drool: :lol:

My house is a 20 mile drive to Times Square, so you can figure out how long a ride that is from wherever you're starting.  The main killer is that if you come across the George Washington Bridge and go into Palisades Park (instead of right onto the busy part of 9W), there's a pretty tough climb coming out of the park.  Luckily, I only live about 1.5 miles from this climb, so you could take a break then.

If you guys let me know when you're coming, I'll fire up the grill!  :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #193 on: 5 Oct 2006, 03:24 pm »
I have toured across Manhattan towards 9W and then back towards GWB.  The view is breathless!  There are granny gear section along the way but it is manageable. If not, it will be walkable.  Dedicate a whole day, plan your route and you will be rewarded with the best cycling experience.

SET Man

« Reply #194 on: 5 Oct 2006, 03:45 pm »
I have toured across Manhattan towards 9W and then back towards GWB.  The view is breathless!  There are granny gear section along the way but it is manageable. If not, it will be walkable.  Dedicate a whole day, plan your route and you will be rewarded with the best cycling experience.

Hey!

Levi, how about you and I take a day and going for a ride up there to Phil's :D

We could call this "NY Rave Bike Tour" :wink: Any Ravers want to do this? Let's me know :D

Take care,

Levi

« Reply #195 on: 5 Oct 2006, 03:48 pm »
Try to get one more person to go.  Then we will map the route.

SET Man

« Reply #196 on: 5 Oct 2006, 03:55 pm »
Try to get one more person to go.  Then we will map the route.

Hey!

Good idea :D But that would be tough :? ....so anyone want to go for a ride up there to Phil's? :D

Take care,

Levi

« Reply #197 on: 16 Nov 2006, 05:37 am »
Here is a picture of my bike in action.

SET Man

« Reply #198 on: 16 Nov 2006, 05:53 am »
Here is a picture of my bike in action.

Hey!

Nice. :D From NY 5 Boros Tour. That was a great fun ride. :D

Take care,

Levi

« Reply #199 on: 16 Nov 2006, 03:02 pm »
Yeah.  I love that picture!  I ordered a copy costed $40bucks.