REW

mkane

Re: REW
« Reply #160 on: 15 Nov 2021, 10:49 pm »
 In my instance it's the room. If I move the mic off axis of move further back that rise goes away

mkane

« Reply #161 on: 15 Nov 2021, 10:51 pm »
 Take a look at post #100 in this thread. Mic placement is different when that measurement was taken.

BGA

« Reply #162 on: 15 Nov 2021, 10:59 pm »
Ahh ok, I've been measuring from the seated location and it hasn't changed much from axis and off axis. They sound great I was just wondering about the bump.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #163 on: 15 Nov 2021, 11:16 pm »
Is the bump between around 10k to 20K normal in the NX line? I have the same bump when I measure my NX-Otica's and thought I may have messed up the crossover somewhere.

Yes, that's a natural part of the GR Neo3 tweeter's response and extends across all 3 speakers in the NX-line.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #164 on: 15 Nov 2021, 11:29 pm »
It does sound very nice. Full, imaging spot on. Low end is the best it's ever been and there's been lot's of speakers through this house.
  What's causing the dip @ 160Hz?.

that 160Hz dip is most likely the room.  You see it happen when you only measure your main speakers.  It's hard to tell if that dip is also in the subs since they are already rolling off at that point.  You could try raising the frequency of the subwoofer low pass filter but I think that's already all of the way up.  I also wouldn't worry about that dip at 160Hz.  It's not bad and it's probably just a room artifact.  If you measure your speakers from different spots in the room you will likely get different modes and dips like that.  It's unavoidable without extensive room treatment and a room designed without 90 degree corners.
I would say that the next step would be to measure this from your listening position:
Left side with sub, then measure right side with sub, then measure all of them together.  See what that shows and post it.  Otherwise, you have a really good frequency response going and I wouldn't mess with it further.

mkane

« Reply #165 on: 16 Nov 2021, 12:12 am »
 I'll get on it tomorrow thanks. Should prove interesting.

mkane

« Reply #166 on: 17 Nov 2021, 02:12 am »
Well for heavens sake. I had some down time, took a few measurements. It was a bit frustrating but kept at it.

Went back down to the barn to finish stacking wood.  Then I roasted coffee for a few hours. It's almost like taking speaker measurements, trying to taste the coffee while tracking heat & environmental temps. the difference is you can use sight, sound and smell when roasting coffee.

Long story short. Something sounded off and it confirms my wonky measurements. I used different speaker wires for the top hats and had the right side wire out of phase.

It's going to be a few days to get back on this. Family's coming over for a few days with the grandson.  He's just a year old but you should see him dance. He just loves music.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #167 on: 17 Nov 2021, 04:30 am »
This process is great.  You want left and right to be the same thing.  I'm glad you're getting it all worked out.

mkane

« Reply #168 on: 18 Nov 2021, 05:44 pm »
SPL both L&R from seated position. Seems to fall apart in some places.
'

DannyBadorine

« Reply #169 on: 18 Nov 2021, 07:34 pm »
So, this graph is only going up to 1K.  Or I can only see up to 1k because of the menu on the right. You want 20Hz to 20K.  And you no longer need to measure the sub and main speakers separately.  Measure them all together:
Left side (sub and main)
Right side (sub and main)
Then Everything all at once. 

This is to make sure that left and right are operating the same (the graph should be almost identical for them).
The you see what happens with everything summing together. 

mkane

« Reply #170 on: 19 Nov 2021, 12:29 am »
 I'm on it in the morning. The graph is in the way sorry.

mkane

« Reply #171 on: 19 Nov 2021, 10:05 pm »
  I've been messing with this all morning. Need to get outside and get something done. Measurements from the listening position.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #172 on: 20 Nov 2021, 12:52 am »
Cool.  No worries on this but it still looks as though you're measuring the sub separate from the speakers.  Just measure the whole Left side (main and sub), the whole right side (main and sub) then measure it all together and overlay that on a graph. 

mkane

« Reply #173 on: 20 Nov 2021, 06:22 pm »
 Both, left then right.

mkane

« Reply #174 on: 20 Nov 2021, 07:16 pm »
 Here's the Wedgies,

DannyBadorine

« Reply #175 on: 20 Nov 2021, 07:24 pm »
Both, left then right.

Which color corresponds to which measurement?  I'm guessing that green is both.

mkane

« Reply #176 on: 20 Nov 2021, 08:11 pm »
Gr. Both

Blue left

I would like to stay and chat but my wife needs my attention.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #177 on: 21 Nov 2021, 02:02 am »
Gr. Both

Blue left

I would like to stay and chat but my wife needs my attention.

OK.  Those graphs look pretty good.  Left and right are almost all the same except for in the sub region.  Make sure that the settings on both of the sub amplifiers are the same.  Make sure all switches and knobs are exactly the same.  It might just be that the left side is turned up louder a bit.  You can see that on the graph.
Next, pay attention to where the green line is lower than the left or right measurements.  That is an area where you are getting phase cancellation between the two speakers.  2.6kHz-4.5KHz is cancelling a bit and that is an important spot for intelligibility.  It's not terrible there but it's not great and we might be able to fix it by changing your listening position or turning the speakers in towards the listening position.
So, first.  fix the sub settings then make sure that your mic is equal distance from each main speaker.  Try to measure right in the middle of them, which should be a good listening spot.  I would use a tape measure to make sure that the distance is within an inch or less from the tweeter on the main speaker.  Then show me those measurements and we can go from there.

mkane

« Reply #178 on: 21 Nov 2021, 03:38 pm »
 I'll use a laser measuring device and get the mic spot on smack dab in the middle.

Probably be a bit later in the day. I have more wood to split.   Thanks

mkane

« Reply #179 on: 21 Nov 2021, 09:09 pm »
Both sides top
Left middle
Rt. bottom

I tightened up my triangle.

A bit less energy down low would be good?