Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer

Testsystems

Re: Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer
« Reply #420 on: 7 Feb 2022, 04:58 pm »
Three straight forward solutions that I am using while waiting for Roon Certification. 
1. USB input from a PC running Roon Server
2. Bryston Digital Player feeding a digital input.  All are Roon Certified.
3. BluOS Node feeding a digital input.  Also Roon Certified and has IR remote capabilities as well.

I also run an Apple TV with an app TV Roon Remote that gives full remote control and video of the music playing. 

All great solutions as we wait for the Bryston Certification.  The BR-20 is still worth the purchase today, because I prefer it’s DAC over the BDA-3.  I know they are “the same” but based on listening tests I would beg to differ.   Do others agree with me? Curious. 

Drew

spartana

« Reply #421 on: 8 Feb 2022, 11:14 pm »
Hi,
Can anybody share their experience with the built in headphone amp?
Thanks,
Holger

viz

« Reply #422 on: 9 Feb 2022, 11:55 pm »
Help, and please be gentle to a Luddite! How do I watch youtube on my phone and have the sound through my BR20? Is there some sort of usb bluetooth thing that can plug into the back of the br20?

viz

« Reply #423 on: 11 Feb 2022, 02:59 pm »
And as a follow up to my last question, is it possible for me to run a normal charging cable from my iphone to one of the USB inputs on the BR20?

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #424 on: 11 Feb 2022, 07:06 pm »
Help, and please be gentle to a Luddite! How do I watch youtube on my phone and have the sound through my BR20? Is there some sort of usb bluetooth thing that can plug into the back of the br20?

If you have turned on Shairpoint-Sync as the "Playback Method" on your BR-20, in the web interface, and also selected the streamer input (SRC1 button) then you should be able to use AirPlay on you iPhone to send only the audio to the BR-20 while watching YouTube. There may be a noticeable audio delay though, relative to the video.

And as a follow up to my last question, is it possible for me to run a normal charging cable from my iphone to one of the USB inputs on the BR20?

If you want to output audio on your iPhone through USB, you need to use one of the Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter or Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter dongles and then a USB cable.

viz

« Reply #425 on: 12 Feb 2022, 07:16 am »
Thank you very much, and I got some help on your first suggestion from the very great Adam Tanner, and will be ordering the adapter today, that’s fantastic, cheers.

Incidentally I didn’t get any lag to speak of through wifi.
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2022, 09:18 am by viz »

SoundGame

« Reply #426 on: 14 Feb 2022, 03:14 pm »
Chris,

Acknowledging your comment below about resolution from TIDAL, I've seen it stated in a number of cases that the BR20 will do 16-b/44.1kHz from TIDAL however, though I do see a Sample Rate = 44.1 the highest bitrate on any file I get from TIDAL is showing as 320 kbps - is this in fact 16-bit or am I hearing an upsampling done by the BR20?  Very curious as to the reason for limitation on any TIDAL file to 320kbps???  :scratch: :duh:

44khz 16bit is the highest lossless resolution provided by TIDAL and we don't support the lossy MQA format.

Chris

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #427 on: 14 Feb 2022, 04:09 pm »
Make sure in "Settings" you have it set to Lossless.

SoundGame

« Reply #428 on: 14 Feb 2022, 04:59 pm »
Thanks James,

I've made this change i.e. from High to Lossless but what I'm seeing now if very curious.  Playing this same track, I have:

A variable Bitrate that is fluctuating as the track plays....ranging from about 500kbps and going up as high as 1000kbps;
While the Sample Rate is: 44100:16:2

I guess its the Sample Rate that is now 44.1 kHz /16.2-bit that indicates I'm now getting CD quality.  Good to be reassured...now to listen some more to this player vs. the Bluesound NODE (v3)

Make sure in "Settings" you have it set to Lossless.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #429 on: 14 Feb 2022, 06:10 pm »
Hi - Yes the bitrate will change as it streams.

james

drtimhill

« Reply #430 on: 15 Feb 2022, 09:05 pm »

If you have an iPhone, you could use this: https://www.belkin.com/us/speakers-headphones/speakers/soundform-connect-audio-adapter-with-airplay-2/p/p-auz002/

SoundGame

« Reply #431 on: 16 Feb 2022, 06:21 pm »
Hi James,

Regarding the use of 1. BCON Web User Interface (BR20BCN) vs. the 2. On-board Streamer (BR-20), my understanding is the two can't be enabled at the same time with a single Ethernet connection.  It appears from the explanation in the manual that for the former (1), you need to hook up the Network cable to the SVC ETHERNET port, while for the latter (2), the ETHERNET port must be used.  Hence, when I am using the Streamer (2), I can't use the BCON to remote control the BR-20. Let me know if I've misunderstood the manual.

My question is, did Bryston envision the use of a Network Switch/Hub with two separate Network cables connecting to the BR-20 in a full installation?  Is that the only way - other than un-hooking and hooking the Network cable, to get both BCON and STREAMER to work concurrently?

How is yours setup in your own installation?  Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #432 on: 16 Feb 2022, 07:39 pm »
Hi - sounds like an Adam question - atanner@bryston.com

james

SoundGame

« Reply #433 on: 16 Feb 2022, 07:49 pm »
Thanks James - I'll do that.

Hi - sounds like an Adam question - atanner@bryston.com

james

Clive197

« Reply #434 on: 17 Feb 2022, 01:49 pm »
Hi Guys
I’ve just done a firmware upgrade to S2.44 2022-02-02 on my BR-20.

I’ve only noticed that the display seems to have been greatly improved and complete track titles now display. I also think SQ has been improved but that could be my imagination.

I think it may be a good idea for us all to be advised that a upgrade is available via these pages. I’m not interested in Roon but I did the upgrade anyway as you never know what else shows up (display).

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #435 on: 17 Feb 2022, 06:25 pm »
Hi Folks - Looks like we got part of the front cover (BR-20) on the Absolute Sound Magazine - Best Audio Gear of 2022

Usually this means they say nice things

james

clpetersen

« Reply #436 on: 18 Feb 2022, 12:42 pm »
Congratulations on the cover!

Question: will the DAC card from the BR-20 work in the BP-17 cubed? and/or are there any plans to add a USB interface to the DAC card for the BP-17 cubed?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #437 on: 18 Feb 2022, 12:59 pm »
Congratulations on the cover!

Question: will the DAC card from the BR-20 work in the BP-17 cubed? and/or are there any plans to add a USB interface to the DAC card for the BP-17 cubed?

Hi

No plans currently for that but once things settle down possibly.  I would have to ask engineering if it was doable

james

GeAllan70

« Reply #438 on: 4 Mar 2022, 08:04 pm »
the hardest button to button...   :lol:

Clive197

« Reply #439 on: 16 Mar 2022, 01:33 pm »
Please can someone tell me what’s going on. Ever since I did a software update to S2.44 I have to power recycle daily. This can’t be right!
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2022, 02:55 pm by Clive197 »