Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer
« Reply #340 on: 9 Dec 2021, 10:05 pm »
James, I received my BR-20 yesterday--very exiting! I love it. My question has to do with upsampling. At a very basic level I understand its advantages. I do not understand its disadvantages.  Do I read the manual correctly that upsampling is not possible via USB input? I assume this was by choice given many DACs do this. My specific question is would you recommend upsamping with upstream software (Roon or HQ Player etc) or leave the incoming USB sampling rate alone? Thanks!

Correct - no up-sampling on USB.

I have always felt that you should play the file the way it was recorded - so up-sampling is not something I use personally.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #341 on: 11 Dec 2021, 12:53 am »

The Absolute Sound’s 2021 PRODUCT OF THE YEAR AWARDS 2021
Welcome to The Absolute Sound’s 2021 Product of the Year Awards, the most exclusive and prestigious of our honors. Here we celebrate the very best components we’ve heard in the previous year. In many categories we’ve chosen more than one winner: one that represents the greatest value for the dollar and another that represents the best we’ve reviewed regardless of price. We’ve also selected Budget Components of the Year to recognize the gear we believe offers the biggest bang for the buck, as well as a Technology Breakthrough of the Year.
Finally, our Overall Product of the Year honors the products that stand above all others as the most impressive achievements of the past 12 months.

* Bryston BR-20 Preamplifier with Streaming DAC:
   A Preamplifier for Our Times

* James Tanner, Bryston CEO, on the BR-20
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2021, 09:13 pm by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #342 on: 13 Dec 2021, 04:18 pm »
James,

Just wanted to let you know that JJ’s BR-20 review has just gone live on our site:

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/amplifier/preamplifier/bryston-br-20-stereo-preamplifier-review/

jbuzas

« Reply #343 on: 15 Dec 2021, 04:24 pm »
I was listening to music last night using Roon through my BR-20.  The lock light was flashing red.  What does this mean?   I'd used the BR-20 with Roon several times before and the lock light was green.  The BR-20 is connected to my router via ethernet. 

rcarlbe

« Reply #344 on: 17 Dec 2021, 05:09 am »
I can't answer directly, but since I haven't seen a reply, check post #306 in this thread and see what they found. They seem to have had a similar issue and perhaps resolved it. Also there is a Bryston BR-20 thread in Roon Community. See if you can get an answer there. I use Roon solely and connect USB from laptop to BR-20 and haven't had a issue. Good luck. Ryan

jbuzas

« Reply #345 on: 17 Dec 2021, 01:57 pm »
Thanks, the issue described in post #306 is exactly what was happening to me.  I unplugged the unit, and upon plugging back in the problem is resolved.  I hope it doesn't happen every 6 days like the other poster.

I also have to enable the BR-20 in Roon every time I use the BR-20, which is a hassle.  I hope Roon Ready happens soon.

Clive197

« Reply #346 on: 17 Dec 2021, 03:13 pm »
I posted 306. I am still having the same issue with red light flashing very 6-7 days showing the streamer is not locked on. Not difficult doing a hard reset but that’s not really the point.

jbuzas

« Reply #347 on: 17 Dec 2021, 04:29 pm »
Clive,

My BR-20 still streams from Roon when the red light is on.  Does your unit continue to work when the red light is flashing?

Clive197

« Reply #348 on: 17 Dec 2021, 07:04 pm »
Good question, next time it goes n the blink, I will leave it.

jbuzas

« Reply #349 on: 21 Dec 2021, 03:36 pm »
Is it possible to connect the BR-20 to two 7b3's so that when I turn on the BR-20 it signals both 7b3's to power up? 

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #350 on: 21 Dec 2021, 03:41 pm »
Is it possible to connect the BR-20 to two 7b3's so that when I turn on the BR-20 it signals both 7b3's to power up?

Yes see p.6 of user manual.
Connect Trigger Out to one 7B.
Then trigger out from 7B to the other 7B.

jbuzas

« Reply #351 on: 21 Dec 2021, 03:54 pm »
Thank you!  I didn't understand that I could have one 7b3 power up the other.  Awesome!

rcarlbe

« Reply #352 on: 25 Dec 2021, 11:29 pm »
I asked a related question in the Bryston MM forum so I apologize for redundancy.
All external variables aside, what digital input on the BR-20 offers the best SQ? I am familiar with how external constraints could shift the answer, but within the design of the BR-20 itself what is the best/least distortion? What "horse" does one back based solely on how the BR-20 is designed? Surely Bryston measured each input to achieve an optimal overall design given each inputs cost/potential to reach a certain performance.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #353 on: 28 Dec 2021, 02:59 pm »
I was listening to music last night using Roon through my BR-20.  The lock light was flashing red.  What does this mean?   I'd used the BR-20 with Roon several times before and the lock light was green.  The BR-20 is connected to my router via ethernet.

The flashing red light represents the streamer/digital player starting up and takes about a minute.

Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #354 on: 28 Dec 2021, 03:09 pm »
I asked a related question in the Bryston MM forum so I apologize for redundancy.
All external variables aside, what digital input on the BR-20 offers the best SQ? I am familiar with how external constraints could shift the answer, but within the design of the BR-20 itself what is the best/least distortion? What "horse" does one back based solely on how the BR-20 is designed? Surely Bryston measured each input to achieve an optimal overall design given each inputs cost/potential to reach a certain performance.

using the built in digital playe , USB or SPDIF (digital coax/digital AESEBU) each have the lowest jitter otherwise the digital interfaces perform roughly the same.  HDMI has the highest jitter, but is the only interface that will accept DSD from an SACD player or HDMI signal for those that want/need HDMI.

Chris

spartana

« Reply #355 on: 28 Dec 2021, 03:43 pm »
Good morning,
I would like to switch off the display on my BR20. Ideally when changing channel or volume the display would briefly switch on, show the changes, then turn dark again. So far it seems only possible to dim the brightness. Is it planned to have an update?
Thanks,
Holger

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #356 on: 28 Dec 2021, 03:55 pm »
Good morning,
I would like to switch off the display on my BR20. Ideally when changing channel or volume the display would briefly switch on, show the changes, then turn dark again. So far it seems only possible to dim the brightness. Is it planned to have an update?
Thanks,
Holger

Hi Holger

Nothing planned immediately but something to look at going forward.

james

emcallaway

« Reply #357 on: 3 Jan 2022, 11:40 pm »
The flashing red light represents the streamer/digital player starting up and takes about a minute.

Chris

Chris, I'm curious what it means if the flashing continues indefinitely.  Several folks on here have experienced it, using Roon and Manic Moose.  Music is playing, but the lock LED continues to flash red.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #358 on: 4 Jan 2022, 01:19 am »
Hi Folks,

Tyr rebooting or re-plugging the power.

james

Clive197

« Reply #359 on: 4 Jan 2022, 10:26 am »
I need to unplug and then re plug my BR20 every 7-8 days for it to lock. I don’t think asking customers who have spent thousands of Dollars, Pounds, Euro’s and Shekels to do this to stop the lock led from flashing is a good idea. Please may we have a permanent fix.