Tube connector idea

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Tube connector idea
« on: 12 Aug 2020, 07:27 pm »
I don't recall this being suggested before but I just thought it would be cool if a tube connector could be integrated into a XLR jack.  Might make things easier to implement for lots of projects.  I realize this would probably increase the price but it also might mean more sales.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Tube connector idea
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2020, 08:03 pm »
That could be an interesting idea.. I'm guessing you mean like using  XLR out from your amp and adapted to a pair of tube connector pins?

But seeing as XLR is a 3-pin balanced connector, i suppose it could work, so long as you only use 2 of the necessary pins.

corndog71

« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2020, 09:26 pm »
No, what I mean is take the frame of the XLR jack, drill it out and mount a tube connector.

Kind of like you can have RCAs, USB, etc in the same XLR frame.

Like this
https://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nf2d-b-2-rca-jack-d-series-red-black--092-232

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2020, 09:55 pm »
Ohh! That makes sense.

Tho maybe an option that contains both +/- leads would be a better option? Since XLR is kind of a bulky connection and having both within the same socket would make it easier to modify both L&R outputs on an amp without also having to take up 2 pairs of XLR connections.  Then you can also use another double ended port on the speaker as well.

corndog71

« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2020, 10:18 pm »
Ohh! That makes sense.

Tho maybe an option that contains both +/- leads would be a better option? Since XLR is kind of a bulky connection and having both within the same socket would make it easier to modify both L&R outputs on an amp without also having to take up 2 pairs of XLR connections.  Then you can also use another double ended port on the speaker as well.

That’s not a bad idea but it limits your choice of speaker wire.  I doubt you would get wire bigger than 16awg for each polarity.  Also, it wouldn’t be as good as tube connectors.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 13 Aug 2020, 12:18 am »
Im not quite sure what you mean? Wouldn't the wire gauge limit be determined by the inner diameter of the male end of the tube connector?

It would probably require a special built plastic housing on the female end to fit both female ends into a single unit, but that should be all that's necessary imo.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2020, 12:31 am »
Tubés require isolation due DC hi voltage and heat resistence.

corndog71

« Reply #7 on: 13 Aug 2020, 01:25 am »
Ok, I misunderstood what you wrote.  You mean one plastic piece with both + and -.

srb

« Reply #8 on: 13 Aug 2020, 01:50 am »
Tubés require isolation due DC hi voltage and heat resistence.

This topic refers to Electra Cable Tube Connectors for speakers, not vacuum tube sockets.
http://gr-research.com/electracabletubeconnectors.aspx

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 13 Aug 2020, 04:07 am »
This topic refers to Electra Cable Tube Connectors for speakers, not vacuum tube sockets.
http://gr-research.com/electracabletubeconnectors.aspx

Thanks for inform.
Its usual all connectors rca/xlr/speakers be ''tube'' or cylinder shape not only these.

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 13 Aug 2020, 04:22 am »
I think one of the better merits is that it isn't encased in metal so when you want to eliminate the electrical turn you don't have to make them super ugly in the process like you do with XLR/similar metal mounted stuff.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #11 on: 13 Aug 2020, 03:43 pm »
How do you get all the cable, amplifier and speaker manufacturers to convert to tube connecters let alone all the audiophiles that own cables?

diyman

« Reply #12 on: 13 Aug 2020, 05:16 pm »
How do you get all the cable, amplifier and speaker manufacturers to convert to tube connecters let alone all the audiophiles that own cables?

Well, first you would have to prove to them that there really is a sound quality improvement with tube connectors.  But since that has never been proven I doubt that these various manufacturers will have any interest in converting to tube connectors.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #13 on: 13 Aug 2020, 05:41 pm »
Just build your own cables.  It's simple enough.

diyman

« Reply #14 on: 13 Aug 2020, 09:57 pm »
Just build your own cables.  It's simple enough.

What's that got to do with the proposed idea to have manufacturers build tube connectors into their equipment?

corndog71

« Reply #15 on: 13 Aug 2020, 10:21 pm »
I only suggested it as an easier alternative for adding to electronics in metal boxes.  The regular tube connectors are made for speaker cabinets.

I'm a DIY kinda guy and like building my own tube amps, so I could put them to use.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #16 on: 13 Aug 2020, 10:40 pm »
What's that got to do with the proposed idea to have manufacturers build tube connectors into their equipment?

GR Research is a DIY focused company and so is this circle.  It's easy enough to drill holes in a speaker to fit a tube connector.  And it's also easy to DIY speaker wire using tube connectors instead of bananas or spades.  Re: an amp, that's more tricky but it can be done. 

Personally I only ever use the tube connectors on the speaker end.   On the amp end I usually install WBT low mass silver binding posts and use Eichman low mass silver bananas.  Sounds really good.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 13 Aug 2020, 11:23 pm »
I second What Tyson said.

The only way we will ever see tube connectors becoming a industry standard is if people demand it. But with how many "standards" there are, (clamp, spade, RCA, XLR, banana, etc) 5-way binding posts and other legacy standards are going to remain ubiquitous.

It's the same reason we still see ancient standards like Coaxial, PCI, VGA/DVI & other similar connections on many modern devices like TVs, laptops & desktop PCs. People & businesses demand still demand its inclusion. Cuz like they saying goes, "if it ain't broke don't fix it." No business want to have to replace 95% of their tools/hardware because one new standard has arrived.
Many small businesses are still running Windows 95/2000/XP machines despite being 20+ years old or even older, cuz changing anything, means changing EVERYTHING..

It sucks, but if we want to see change, we have to make that change.

Jaytor

« Reply #18 on: 14 Aug 2020, 12:07 am »
It's not that hard to install tube connectors in a metal chassis. You just need something on the inside to hold the tube connectors in place. I used a couple of these.

https://www.mcmaster.com/60475k71

diyman

« Reply #19 on: 14 Aug 2020, 03:32 am »
The only way we will ever see tube connectors becoming a industry standard is if people demand it. But with how many "standards" there are, (clamp, spade, RCA, XLR, banana, etc) 5-way binding posts and other legacy standards are going to remain ubiquitous.

As I said up above, the first thing you would have to do is prove to the manufacturers that there really is a sound quality improvement with tube connectors.   So it's not just about existing standards and retooling costs.  It's about whether there is really an improvement or not.  If that could be proven, then there are likely to be at least a few manufacturers that would jump on it as a clear product and marketing advantage. But since that has never been proven, I doubt that any manufacturers will have a interest in offering tube connectors on their products.