Dezorel Audition Sign-up Sheet

nathanm

« Reply #20 on: 3 Jan 2003, 03:58 pm »
The G2 has been plugged in and two full power strips loaded onto it, and I heard no buzzes or smelled any magic smoke, so I think we're all right. 8)  I'll probably need the address of the next person on the list who's getting it.

I think it does look better than the old model. The old one had sort of a "project box" feel, the aluminum here gives a more substantial impression.

I listened very briefly to the Hevia tracks this morning and already my old zine editor gears started to churn... *muwhahaha*

Nathan's dry sense of humor is quite evident in his posts.

If I had a nickel for everytime someone said that, I'd have 5 cents.  :|  The bane of internet communication for me has always been the inability of many readers to interpret tone.  It's good to know the message is getting through to at least a few. :) In fact I've already been "facilitated" on one occasion on this very message board.  Wow, censorship - it's just like being at work! :P

DVV

« Reply #21 on: 3 Jan 2003, 06:45 pm »
Quote from: nathanm
The G2 has been plugged in and two full power strips loaded onto it, and I heard no buzzes or smelled any magic smoke, so I think we're all right. 8)  I'll probably need the address of the next person on the list who's getting it.

I think it does look better than the old model. The old one had sort of a "project box" feel, the aluminum here gives a more substantial impression.

I listened very briefly to the Hevia tracks this morning and already my old zine editor gears started to churn... *muwhahaha*

Nathan's dry sense of humor is quite evident in his posts.

If I had a nickel for everytime someone said that, I'd have 5 cents.  :|  The bane of internet communication for me has always been the inability of many readers to interpret tone.  It's good to know the message is getting through to at least a few. :) In fact I've already been "facilitated" on one occasion on this very message board.  Wow, censorship - it's just like being at work! :P

For the love of God, Nate, DON'T plug in that neutron accelerator from the last time! :P I know it makes great pancakes, but it also burns down the neighborhood.

Ciao,
DVV

P.S. BTW Nate, how about some impressions on Hevia? Your style,. interesting, what?

audiojerry

« Reply #22 on: 3 Jan 2003, 07:19 pm »
I guess Nathan needs to be prodded. You said that it works, but said nothing about how it sounds or doesn't. Are you being diplomatic or mysterious?

The next guy on the list lives in San Rafael with the initials of SC. Now I'm being mysterious, but I can't get to his HD moniker, so I don't know what to call him. I will send him an email, and I will email his address to you, Nathan.

Beezer

SC
« Reply #23 on: 3 Jan 2003, 07:41 pm »
SC is Beezer, and I eagerly await the Dezorel!  I believe SJD and JohnR will also be coming by my place for a listen.  At least that was the plan a couple months ago.

Beez

nathanm

« Reply #24 on: 3 Jan 2003, 07:50 pm »
I was going to do a serious evaluation last night but then I had an emergency come-and-fix-my-Mac call from my mom.  I did however, listen to part of a song with and without the unit.  My impression was that the G2 made the sound tighter and more focused, with less bass.  (is this what they call "taut" perhaps?)  The stereo spread seemed narrower and the vocals seemed more centered. I stared at a lightbulb a bit this morning but didn't notice much difference.  No, that wasn't my formal review, but just the overall impression I got.  It seems to be the same effect I remembered from the first unit actually.  I was glad that I was able to perceive what I thought was a difference and\or improvement, but I would not be inclined to purchase this item unless I made upgrades elsewhere.

What I really really really want to audition is the Furman IT-1220.  I was going to rent one from Mars Music last time if they had one, but they went out of business the day I visited!  Bad timing, aina?  I am not willing to spend 1200 bucks on something unless I know it can kill my ground loops and filter out the grunge caused by other electronics in the house.  I determined the hum induced in my Mackie HR-824's amp is caused by a humidifer running on the Low setting.  If I switch it to High the hum on the Mackie is less, but still there.  When I think of power conditioning it's those kind of problems I hope they will fix.  But patching the DeZorel between either the Mackie or the humidifer did nothing.  I dunno, maybe there is no cure for having cheap electronics running on the same line as your hifi gear.

How come there isn't more interest in battery powered stuff I wonder?  I remember reading about some phono preamp that was battery powered, but the cool thing was that you didn't have to charge the batteries in some kind of separate thing, it just plugged into the wall and charged when necessary.  Cool.  From an ecological view I am not fond of non-rechargeable batteries (careless waste is a pet peeve of mine), but if they are self-sustaining that seems more logical.

DVV

« Reply #25 on: 3 Jan 2003, 10:06 pm »
I was going to do a serious evaluation last night but then I had an emergency come-and-fix-my-Mac call from my mom.  I did however, listen to part of a song with and without the unit.  My impression was that the G2 made the sound tighter and more focused, with less bass.  (is this what they call "taut" perhaps?)  The stereo spread seemed narrower and the vocals seemed more centered. I stared at a lightbulb a bit this morning but didn't notice much difference. ... .

That's odd. Exactly the opposite of what I keep getting whenever I move my own unit, in addition to three systems in my home.

Not arguing, Nate, but I got tighter and subjectively deeper bass, cleaned up spectrum and above all, the sound stage all but exploded in my face in all directions, with an abundance of newly found details. Agreed on better focused, though.

Just my 2 cents' worth.

Cheers,
DVV

audiojerry

« Reply #26 on: 3 Jan 2003, 10:12 pm »
So Nathan, how bright was this light bulb you were staring at?
How long did you stare at it?
How is your vision now?  :wink:

nathanm

« Reply #27 on: 3 Jan 2003, 11:11 pm »
It was the kind they use in supermarkets or baseball fields.  I can't see too well now but people keep commenting that I have a nice tan.

nathanm

« Reply #28 on: 3 Jan 2003, 11:25 pm »
Here's a visual metaphor for what thought I heard:

DVV

« Reply #29 on: 4 Jan 2003, 08:37 am »
Here's a visual metaphor for what thought I heard:

So your black got blacker, your visual and auditory definition improved, and as a result, you have been blinded by The Light? :P

Wow! The Coke you are drinking, is that original Columbian? :lol:

Cheers,
DVV

nathanm

« Reply #30 on: 5 Jan 2003, 05:59 am »
My review has been posted in the Critic's Circle

DVV

« Reply #31 on: 5 Jan 2003, 10:27 pm »
So who's next?

Cheers,
DVV

nathanm

« Reply #32 on: 7 Jan 2003, 06:25 am »
The unit has been shipped to whatshisface in California.  Steve Clapp or something I believe.  By tomorrow it will finally leave the frosty wastes of Wisconsin and be whisked off to sunny California with an achin' in its heart.

markC

« Reply #33 on: 7 Jan 2003, 06:41 am »
When does it come to frosty Canada? I believe that I am probably last on the list. Hey, at least Nathan didn't blow it up! :)

DVV

« Reply #34 on: 7 Jan 2003, 10:47 am »
I just got off the phone to Miki, I called him up to wish him a Merry Christmas (to us Orthodox Christians, Christmas is today), and he said that if any of you guys were off to Vegas for the CES, you may want to go to Alexis Park Hotel, room 2010, and talk to one Bob Williams, who will be exhibiting the DeZorel line there.

Anybody going to CES?

Cheers,
DVV

mamsterla

Phono stage - battery powered
« Reply #35 on: 7 Jan 2003, 06:40 pm »
I built the Thorsten Loesch Analogue Addicts phono based on battery power.  I added in a relay and charger circuit so I can trickle charge the gel cells from the wall when not listening - I did not want the AC on when playing and still need to remove some noise introduced through the relay (only audible on high volume settings).

I figure the gel cell batteries will last years - definitely not the same as throwing out all those AA batteries in remotes and the like.

I really like the battery power - this is a good sounding phono stage - much better than the Radio Shack Little Rat and the Rotel that I was using previously.  I have note compared it to something like a Lehmann Black Cube yet.

-MA

JoshK

« Reply #36 on: 7 Jan 2003, 07:52 pm »
Ummm....is there still a way to get on the audition list?  I really need a power filter and I think this one might be the one I am looking for, would be great to audition before buying.

audiojerry

« Reply #37 on: 7 Jan 2003, 08:26 pm »
Joshk, I don't see why not. To sign up, just go to paypal and deposit $20 to my paypal account. If I can get 1000 guys to sign up, I'll be able to buy those Amati Homages.  :wink: Otherwise, you would be number 11, so it's more likely you will get part or all of your $20 bucks back. At the end of auditions, we are either going to sell or auction off the audition unit and divide the profit or loss between us. Make payment to audiojerry@yahoo.com and provide purpose as 'Dezorel audition deposit'.

JoshK

« Reply #38 on: 7 Jan 2003, 09:02 pm »
done!

audiojerry

« Reply #39 on: 7 Jan 2003, 09:50 pm »
Ok, Josh, I got you. At this point, you will be getting it 11th, after Briley in NC.