Dezorel Audition Sign-up Sheet

audiojerry

« on: 30 Dec 2002, 06:18 pm »
The new Dezorel unit has just arrived. I will be taking it home today and hopefully will report on my audition quickly and pass it on to the next person in line.

Everyone who is signed on for an audition on HD, please switch over to this new website for all further correspondence on this.  

Nathanm, do you want another shot at a properly functioning unit?
Otherwise I think it would be fair to refund your payment.

nathanm

« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2002, 07:19 pm »
Cool, we're back on track again.  Just a minor delay...  :P

Of course I want another try!  How else will I be able to blow the capacitor in this one otherwise? :jester:

DVV

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2002, 08:54 pm »
Quote from: nathanm
Cool, we're back on track again.  Just a minor delay...  :P

Of course I want another try!  How else will I be able to blow the capacitor in this one otherwise? :jester:

Of course Nate wants another go! He never got the chance at his nuclear accelerator with the first one. :P:

Brother Theodore strikes again!

Cheers,
DVV

markC

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2002, 03:30 am »
Not that I really care, but it seems to me  that I am forced to switch sights to track a product that owes me an audition and have paid for said audition in advance. Although I am not dumping HD, I must admit a lot of heavy contributers to HD have migrated.

DiNo

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2002, 04:50 pm »
I'm in and looking forward to check out this beast :-)

DiNo

audiojerry

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2003, 02:18 am »
Well finally, we are back in business. I had a chance to evaluate the new Dezorel, and my position is the same as the first time I used it, with on caveat. I now have the privelege of using a pair of Odyssey Stratos Monoblocks with the latest cap and Plitron upgrade for about 6 months, so I was able to evaluate the effects of the Dezorel with solid state amplification to go along with those on my ARC tube amp. For those who forgot or never read my previous review, I believe the Dezorel is a most worthwhile asset; even more so with solid state. I'm not up to writing another review, so here is the link to it on HD:    
http://www.harmonicdiscord.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8483&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75

Another relevent point: I have also had use of a Tice Powerblock III with high current upgrade. It has enough juice to allow all my components and more to be plugged into it. I was using it for the week prior to the Dezorel's arrival. I noticed a significant increase in contrast between background and music, so the noise floor must have dropped with the Tice. This immediate effect was stunning, and I was very impressed, but over time I found myself not liking what it was doing to the music. When I took the Tice out, my music seemed to be revitalized again, and there were richer textures to instruments. The Tice seemed to  affect dynamics and harmonics. I did not notice this negative effect with the Dezorel.  

And now for a special surprise: DVV packed a copy of music from Hevia, some dude who plays electronic bagpipes. I'm a pretty open minded guy when it comes to music, and I always enjoy the chance to hear something new, but I have to admit that I was pretty skeptical about the prospect of electronic bagpipes. Well, DVV, I have been converted. This music is awesome! It may be normal in Belgrade, but I'd have to classify this music as very eclectic. There is a little bit of everything: some Aboriginal instruments, some Enya type sound, some smooth jazz, some rock, some Celtic - all woven into an amazing musical fabric. Huge soundstage, and beautifully recorded. This will be passed along with the Dezorel. Thanks DVV!  

Beez, unless we hear from Nathan, you are next up for the audition. I will ship to you on Thursday or Friday, unless I can get it to Nathan. Hey Nathan, are you there?

DVV

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2003, 03:44 pm »
Quote from: audiojerry

And now for a special surprise: DVV packed a copy of music from Hevia, some dude who plays electronic bagpipes. I'm a pretty open minded guy when it comes to music, and I always enjoy the chance to hear something new, but I have to admit that I was pretty skeptical about the prospect of electronic bagpipes. Well, DVV, I have been converted. This music is awesome! It may be normal in Belgrade, but I'd have to classify this music as very eclectic. There is a little bit of everything: some Aboriginal instruments, some Enya type sound, some smooth jazz, some rock, some Celtic - all woven into an amazing musical fabric. Huge soundstage, and beautifully recorded. This will be passed along with the Dezorel. Thanks DVV!  

Beez, unless we hear from Nathan, you are next up for the audition. I will ship to you on Thursday or Friday, unless I can get it to Nathan. Hey Nathan, are you there?

Yes, I asked Miki to include it in your package - why not, since they were shipping you the new unit anyway, seemed practical.

As for Hevia, he was MUCH listened to around here about a year and a half ago, but I couldn't find any CDs of his left over anywhere - hence the copy. I used one of his songs for my radio show, as well as Blue Man Group, and everybody was asking me what was that music? :P

Anyway, I'm willing to produce more copies if anynone's interested. To set matters straight, Jerry, he plays a mixture of Basque, Spanish and Arab music, quite in accordance with his place of residence, which is Spain.

No comment on the looks, Jerry? You had the old version, which was, well, below par, let's be honest about that, and now you have the new version, which is in my view incomparably better looking. Also far more sturdy.

Cheers,
DVV

nathanm

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jan 2003, 05:51 pm »
Over here! Over here! :hyper:

audiojerry

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jan 2003, 06:55 pm »
DVV, to be honest, it still looks rather utiliitarian to me, but I don't care. I'm not going to be displaying it anywhere anyway.

Nathan, can you call me? I'll pm my phone number, since I lost your emails. I can try to get the Dezorel to you at work today, of you can come pick it up if you are interested in hearing the new GR Criterion speakers or the Odyssey mono's with the latest upgrades.

One more comment about why I liked it with the solid state Odyssey's: the Dezorel seems to take some of glare and bite away, giving it some of the smoothness that I like in my ARC, but that's just my preference.

DVV

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jan 2003, 09:02 pm »
DVV, to be honest, it still looks rather utiliitarian to me, but I don't care. I'm not going to be displaying it anywhere anyway.

Nathan, can you call me? I'll pm my phone number, since I lost your emails. I can try to get the Dezorel to you at work today, of you can come pick it up if you are interested in hearing the new GR Criterion speakers or the Odyssey mono's with the latest upgrades.

One more comment about why I liked it with the solid state Odyssey's: the Dezorel seems to take some of glare and bite away, giving it some of the smoothness that I like in my ARC, but that's just my preference.

Nathan can come pick it up? Nathan is that near?

Jerry, if Nathan comes around, please play him some Hevia, just so he can get a taste of it. For me, play track No.9. There seem to be some interested parties over there, so I might just make a few copies and send 'em over, in which case I'd love to know if Nate is in for one.

Cheers,
DVV

nathanm

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2003, 09:37 pm »
Doh!  Guess I should've read this earlier...

Anyway, for the record I don't listen to the type of stuff most audiophiles usually go for, but I'll be happy to give Hevia a spin.  Anyone here listened to Exhumed anytime recently?  Nope, didn't think so.  :P

nathanm

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jan 2003, 09:51 pm »
What's this?  I'm getting a strange tingling sensation...yes indeed, I can almost sense the capacitor breathing its last breath as Jerry puts the DeZorel in the portable smokehouse...  I just hope it survives long enough for me to plug in my TIG welder.

nathanm

The DeZorel G2 super gonzo cool thingy, Uncorrupted?
« Reply #12 on: 2 Jan 2003, 11:31 pm »
All I did was open the box and took these pictures.  I swear I didn't even plug it in yet!  This is the view fresh from audiojerry's mitts!  If anything's wrong with it now, it's not my fault!!!  :mrgreen:

Would anyone like to see a shot of me standing on it before I plug it in and blow it up?  :P  :P  :P

nathanm

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jan 2003, 11:34 pm »
Also, as an added bonus, this model comes in your choice of Menthol, Light or Regular flavor!

audiojerry

« Reply #14 on: 3 Jan 2003, 12:47 am »
I guess Nathan has no sense of humor - do you have to take everything so seriously, Nathan?
I see an outlet in the photo. Are you going to plug it in? How did you get this posted so fast? I just got home.

DVV, I packed Hevia in with the Dezorel, so everyone gets a chance to hear it.

DVV

« Reply #15 on: 3 Jan 2003, 08:38 am »
I guess Nathan has no sense of humor - do you have to take everything so seriously, Nathan?

Disagreed! Nate is off-beat, yes, but he surely does have a sense of humor. Brother Theodore is proof enough for any court.

Besides, I always freely admit to being quite mad - but I ain't stoopid.:P

I see an outlet in the photo. Are you going to plug it in? How did you get this posted so fast? I just got home.

DVV, I packed Hevia in with the Dezorel, so everyone gets a chance to hear it.

Great thinking, Jerry! Thank you.

For the newly found Hevia fans, in case they crop up, here's what's written on the CD:

Hevia - Best 2000
EMI - Traveller Records
07243 5 29407 4 1 above the bar code
7 24352 94072 1 below the bar code.

Try http://www.emimusic-spain.com

As I said, I'll make some copies, no problem, but let's be honest, copies are copies, they are the last resort, it's always best to have the original.

Cheers,
DVV

DVV

Re: The DeZorel G2 super gonzo cool thingy, Uncorrupted?
« Reply #16 on: 3 Jan 2003, 08:41 am »
Quote from: nathanm

Would anyone like to see a shot of me standing on it before I plug it in and blow it up?  :P  :P  :P

Yeah, sure, as long as it's not too sensual. :P

Cheers,
DVV

DVV

« Reply #18 on: 3 Jan 2003, 12:24 pm »
Quote from: cjr888
Is this the Hevia you speak of?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=music&field-keywords=hevia&search-type=ss&bq=1/104-6063654-7980757

Well done! It is indeed Jose Angel Hevia I am talking about. The copy I sent along is a compilation of the first two CDs, the third is a revelation for me too. Needless to say, I'm off to hunt for it as soon as everybody sobers up here, which will be January 9. As Orthodox Christians, our Christmas is on January 7 - couple it with the New Years holidays, which are a state holiday, and you have 10 million overstuffed, overdrunk people needing time off. :P

Jerry, if you liked him, buy the first two CDs on the list, and you have the originals of what you heard, plus a few tracks I would not have edited out.

Thank you, CJR.

Cheers,
DVV

audiojerry

« Reply #19 on: 3 Jan 2003, 03:37 pm »
DVV, I was trying to be sarcastic regarding Nathan's sense of humor; sarcasm seldom works, I guess. Nathan's dry sense of humor is quite evident in his posts.

I'm going to that website now to check out Mr. Hevia