BDP-1 problem

Spyman

BDP-1 problem
« on: 18 Apr 2020, 05:56 pm »
Hello, James/Chris. My BDP-1 is showing the Error 09 message in the display. I checked to see if it locks with my BDA-1 during initialization and it does, but after the display shows initializing for a while, the error 09 is displayed and the lock is lost. I took off the cover and checked the connections and all of them were tight. I then tried turning on the BDP-1 with the portable hard drives connected and with them not connected. No difference. Help! I don’t know what to do next. Any ideas?

As always, your help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Terry

zoom25

Re: BDP-1 problem
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2020, 06:50 pm »
Get a Torx T8 to take off the top case (which it looks like you already have) and then replace the cell battery (CR2032). That resolved my Error 09 issues on the BDP-1 which popped up this year.

Spyman

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2020, 10:25 pm »
Well, that did it! Thank you for the great advice. Funny thing. When I turned it on the first time after replacing the battery, it did the same exact thing. I was ready to climb the walls! But, I took a deep breath, turned it off and on again and this time it worked great! I remember advice before about replacing the battery, but in my frustration this morning, I completely forgot. I’m ju glad it worked!

Thanks again.

zoom25

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2020, 12:12 am »
Well, that did it! Thank you for the great advice. Funny thing. When I turned it on the first time after replacing the battery, it did the same exact thing. I was ready to climb the walls! But, I took a deep breath, turned it off and on again and this time it worked great! I remember advice before about replacing the battery, but in my frustration this morning, I completely forgot. I’m ju glad it worked!

Thanks again.

Hi Terry,

I'm glad that this fixed the issue for you. Go ahead and give the BDP-1 another restart or two just to confirm that it's still working fine. Since replacing the battery, I've had zero Error 09's. The unit has been shut down and restarted at least a dozen time (both with USB drives plugged in and not). No issues. I was worried about restarting the first time after replacement as I didn't want to break it, but needed the peace of mind to know things were 'perfect' and that I wouldn't have to start diagnosing things again later.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2020, 12:25 am »
I owned BDP-1 for years and did not know there was a battery inside. Don't recall having had an "Error 09"....Is this (battery) something unique to certain batches of BDP-1?

Spyman

« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2020, 01:20 am »
I’ve never heard anything about there being differences in BDP-1s. The battery is located in the upper right (when looking at it from above with the cover off.) It’s one of those button batteries. Maybe someone else can tell you if there are any units without one.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2020, 01:48 am »
It's a learning curve with mfrs. Later versions of some models (e.g. Bryston's BHA-1 headphone amp) can have modifications. Don't know about BDP-1.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2020, 04:49 am »
HI Folks,

There is a circuit board battery in all BDP's.

james

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 19 Apr 2020, 11:36 am »
^ Thanks, JT.  :thumb:

Spyman

« Reply #9 on: 19 Apr 2020, 01:45 pm »
Yes, thanks, James, for that information.

jbd

« Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2020, 11:11 pm »
Hi, I have the same issue with my bdp-1 - error code #9. I also believe it is the battery. My old battery measured 2.7 V so I replaced with a new 2032 battery but now I can't recall what was the positions of the two conducting gold prongs. Was one laying on the bottom horizontal and one oriented vertically, or were both horizontal? I'm guessing one should be vertical to get a voltage difference between the two prongs?

zoom25

« Reply #11 on: 22 Apr 2020, 03:49 am »
Hi, I have the same issue with my bdp-1 - error code #9. I also believe it is the battery. My old battery measured 2.7 V so I replaced with a new 2032 battery but now I can't recall what was the positions of the two conducting gold prongs. Was one laying on the bottom horizontal and one oriented vertically, or were both horizontal? I'm guessing one should be vertical to get a voltage difference between the two prongs?

Mentioned this in one of my older posts.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=118241.msg1784657#msg1784657

"A note to those changing the cell battery. Pay attention to the +/- sides of both the battery cell along with how the +/- flapper pins are located on the holster where the battery is inserted. One pair of pin makes contact with the bottom side, while the other set of pin makes contact from the top."

jbd

« Reply #12 on: 22 Apr 2020, 04:01 am »
Mentioned this in one of my older posts.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=118241.msg1784657#msg1784657

"A note to those changing the cell battery. Pay attention to the +/- sides of both the battery cell along with how the +/- flapper pins are located on the holster where the battery is inserted. One pair of pin makes contact with the bottom side, while the other set of pin makes contact from the top."

Thanks - I'm guessing it is the front side flapper pin that makes contact from the top and the battery has the writing on the top side, yes?

zoom25

« Reply #13 on: 22 Apr 2020, 06:57 pm »

Thanks - I'm guessing it is the front side flapper pin that makes contact from the top and the battery has the writing on the top side, yes?

Hi, I don't remember the details exactly as I haven't opened the BDP-1 since then. I do think the + side of the battery goes on top with the writing. If you haven't figured it out, let me know and I'll take a look at my unit.

Bryston team, since you guys are making videos during this lockdown, why not make some videos on common troubleshooting tips for your gear or FAQ? You can post it under a Knowledge/Resource section of your website. Things like changing cell battery, what do each error codes mean and what can you do to resolve them, changing fuses, or setting up a USB Wifi adapter with BDP. I KNOW for a fact if will be useful as I still receive PMs on different forums asking for clarification on which USB dongle to get or how to set it up.

Pundamilia

« Reply #14 on: 23 Apr 2020, 01:08 pm »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

+1

Great idea Zoom!

Marius

« Reply #15 on: 8 May 2020, 11:22 pm »
HI @james

Long time no speaks here. did keep an eye though...

before I open my BDP1, which too has all of a sudden stopped responding to either the update button, and won't load the MPD, checking for the battery, could I ask to have a distant look? will turn on service mode if ok?

Thanks if you would!
much appreciated

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #16 on: 9 May 2020, 12:21 am »
HI @james

before I open my BDP1, which too has all of a sudden stopped responding to either the update button, and won't load the MPD, checking for the battery, could I ask to have a distant look? will turn on service mode if ok?

Thanks if you would!
much appreciated

Hi Marius

Yes Chris would have to dial in - he checks this forum so he should let you know when to put the unit in Service.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #17 on: 9 May 2020, 01:55 am »
HI @james

Thanks if you would!
much appreciated

Absolutely, but best to email me the service id

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Chris

Marius

« Reply #18 on: 9 May 2020, 09:27 am »
great, and thanks for the immediate repsonse :thumb:

it seems the issue has disappeared automagically..
only thing I can think of (after having tried about 4 or 5 times to restart, click update, enable MPD etc) is that my external cd-player/burner was disconnected (but had the usb cable still in the BDP1).

This morning, prepping for the mail to Chris, I managed to find the cable (got lost and tangled between a great many others.....) and reconnected the player. After that, I could click the update button, heard the BDP restart and Ive got a live player again!

could this even be?

one question though:
was the dropdown alphabet taken out?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #19 on: 10 May 2020, 09:28 pm »
you need to hit a certain number of folders (20 i think) to trigger that menu.  The menu doesn't generate till the list is fully loaded as the menu configuration is the last bit of data sent.

Glad to hear the player is working

Chris