Plaquenil

jhm731

WGH

Re: Plaquenil
« Reply #41 on: 24 Mar 2020, 03:09 am »
Be safe out there, get your chloroquine with a prescription at a pharmacy and not a pet store:

A Man Died After Self-Medicating With A Drug Promoted As A Potential Treatment For The Coronavirus
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/briannasacks/man-died-chloroquine-phosphate-coronavirus

Brett Buck

« Reply #42 on: 24 Mar 2020, 04:49 am »
Be safe out there, get your chloroquine with a prescription at a pharmacy and not a pet store:

A Man Died After Self-Medicating With A Drug Promoted As A Potential Treatment For The Coronavirus
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/briannasacks/man-died-chloroquine-phosphate-coronavirus

Darwin has a theory about this guy.

Brett

genjamon

« Reply #43 on: 24 Mar 2020, 05:44 am »
What about gin and tonic? :popcorn:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #44 on: 24 Mar 2020, 06:31 am »
What about gin and tonic? :popcorn:

I wondered that, too—whether the synthetic quinine which modern tonic water contains has the same health effect as the real thing.
edit: I just looked it up and the amount of quinine in a glass of tonic water is around 20 mg whereas 200-300 mg is a typical theraputic dose for the likes of leg cramps.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #45 on: 24 Mar 2020, 01:13 pm »
My father lived in Congo in the early-mid 60s. He was told by the locals that a glass of scotch a day keeps malaria away. He despised the taste of scotch and didn’t listen to their old wives tale advice.

Then he contracted malaria. He said it was the absolute worst experience of his life.

He quickly became a scotch drinker after that ordeal, drinking many glasses every day :) And he never contracted it again*.

*A few years after he left Congo, he had a malaria relapse (don’t know exactly what to call it). Malaria stays dormant in your liver for several years; how long depends on the strain apparently. He called his physician and asked him to prescribe the meds over the phone, and his doc thought he was crazy. Who the hell gets malaria in Albany, NY? My father argued with him and told him to look up malaria information. The doc prescribed it after some quick research, and all was well. My father attributed the relapse to being overworked, over stressed (starting a business and simultaneously going through a divorce), and not drinking a glass of scotch every day.

kingdeezie

« Reply #46 on: 24 Mar 2020, 02:06 pm »

Here is a perfect example of mainstream media sensationalizing and editorializing the truth.

The man didn't take the antiviral medication being talked about as a potential treatment for Coronavirus.

He ingested fishbowl cleaner.

Completely dishonest, intentionally misleading title.

Its like, the U.S administration recommends staying well hydrated if ill with Coronavirus.

Mainstream Media, "Following U.S Administration Recommendations, Man Dies After Ingesting Dihydrogen Monoxide."

Ridiculous.

sarora9

« Reply #47 on: 24 Mar 2020, 02:09 pm »
Frank,  your comparison of death rates between US and Italy doesn't account for the load on the medical system. US population is 5x of Italy's, and so covid hasn't yet overwhelmed the  US medical system.  A fairer comparison might be when US cases are 5x of Italy's. Actually most Italian cases are in the crowded Lombardy region in the north.

Also Italy has a hugging/kissing tradition, as well as high population density, which may have caused many Italians to be infected with a higher viral load.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #48 on: 24 Mar 2020, 02:34 pm »
Here is a perfect example of mainstream media sensationalizing and editorializing the truth.

The man didn't take the antiviral medication being talked about as a potential treatment for Coronavirus.

He ingested fishbowl cleaner.

Completely dishonest, intentionally misleading title.

Its like, the U.S administration recommends staying well hydrated if ill with Coronavirus.

Mainstream Media, "Following U.S Administration Recommendations, Man Dies After Ingesting Dihydrogen Monoxide."

Ridiculous.
Don't make the mistake of confusing crap media with mainstream news. 
Something called "Buzzfeednews.com" is not my idea of legitimate media.  Reuters, Associated Press, any of the mainstream newspapers ( WSJ, NYT, WaPo, LA Times, Ch Trib, old school networks ABC, NBC, CBS)   all have real standards and don't make stuff up.  Each may have an editorial slant--- WSJ right, Wa Post left, but they don't just pull stuff out of thin air.  They also don't lead with editorials dressed up as news. 

smargo

« Reply #49 on: 24 Mar 2020, 02:37 pm »
FDA just approved it thanks to President Trump. 
Frank

your the person who kind of began the politicking

S Clark

« Reply #50 on: 24 Mar 2020, 02:49 pm »
FDA just approved it thanks to President Trump. 

This is completely misleading--- or a bald faced lie.
Trump The current president had nothing to do with it, regardless of what he might have claimed.  FDA approved it for medical use under Eisenhower in 1955. 

avahifi

« Reply #51 on: 24 Mar 2020, 02:53 pm »
OK, let’s just keep the words Trump and Hoax out of the discourse and we are good to go, hopefully,

Note that first hospital reporting treating 150 patients with Plaquenil so far is reporting good results.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #52 on: 24 Mar 2020, 03:02 pm »
Something called "Buzzfeednews.com" is not my idea of legitimate media.  Reuters, Associated Press, any of the mainstream newspapers ( WSJ, NYT, WaPo, LA Times, Ch Trib, old school networks ABC, NBC, CBS)   all have real standards and don't make stuff up....they don't just pull stuff out of thin air.  They also don't lead with editorials dressed up as news.

A big +1

Speaking of crap media, FOX news sets the standard. They are famous for making stuff up, pulling shit out of thin air and poisoning the minds of their gullible audience. They are largely to blame for things being as bad as they are now.

And unbelievable as it may seem, Tucker Carlson was the only rational voice of reason on FOX news when it came to the outbreak. All the others were bat shit crazy as per usual until the declaration of the state of emergency was made.

S Clark

« Reply #53 on: 24 Mar 2020, 03:04 pm »
"Note that first hospital reporting treating 150 patients with Plaquenil so far is reporting good results."

That is good news.  We all hope that something can be found quickly to help.  Since my daughter is an RN that spends most her time in ICU, she has Covid 19 patients nearly every shift.  I hope treatments will be found and provided to our health care workers before they are given to politicians or pro basketball players. 

WGH

« Reply #54 on: 24 Mar 2020, 03:18 pm »
Something called "Buzzfeednews.com" is not my idea of legitimate media.  Reuters, Associated Press, any of the mainstream newspapers ( WSJ, NYT, WaPo, LA Times, Ch Trib, old school networks ABC, NBC, CBS)   all have real standards and don't make stuff up.  Each may have an editorial slant--- WSJ right, Wa Post left, but they don't just pull stuff out of thin air.  They also don't lead with editorials dressed up as news.

A little research goes a long way before ranting about what media you may or may not think is legitimate. The Google search has many links about the poisioning including FoxNews, CNN, NBCNews, NPR, CBSNews, etc.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=man+dies+chloroquine

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/health/arizona-coronavirus-chloroquine-death/index.html
"A Phoenix-area man is dead and his wife is under critical care after the two took chloroquine phosphate in an apparent attempt to self-medicate for the novel coronavirus, according to hospital system Banner Health.

"It does not appear they took the pharmaceutical version of the drug, but rather "an additive commonly used at aquariums to clean fish tanks," Banner Health said in a statement.
Though Banner did not provide additional details, NBC News spoke to the wife, who said they learned of chloroquine's connection to coronavirus during a President Donald Trump news conference, which "was on a lot actually." They took it because they "were afraid of getting sick," she said."
"I had (the substance) in the house because I used to have koi fish," she told the network. "I saw it sitting on the back shelf and thought, 'Hey, isn't that the stuff they're talking about on TV?'"

There are probably 1000's of bottles of chloroquine phosphate fish tank cleaner sitting by aquariums and unfortunately not everyone are as smart as we are.

S Clark

« Reply #55 on: 24 Mar 2020, 03:26 pm »
The particular story isn't really the issue. There is never a shortage of idiots doing something stupid that hits the front page of yellow journalistic rags.  The point I was making is to know your source, and give more credence to those with a history of journalistic standards. 

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #56 on: 24 Mar 2020, 03:32 pm »
 :|
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2020, 08:04 pm by mresseguie »

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #57 on: 24 Mar 2020, 03:36 pm »
  The political bias is mind boggling. Cannot we come together instead of scoring points for your side. talk in Nov, not here. Thank you.

charles

avahifi

« Reply #58 on: 24 Mar 2020, 03:38 pm »
Get politics out of this this thread please!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #59 on: 24 Mar 2020, 03:43 pm »
The only one talking politics so far is you, Frank.

A discussion about the media, it’s abuse and the consequences there of isn’t politics.