Plaquenil

avahifi

Plaquenil
« on: 19 Mar 2020, 12:09 pm »
Some reports from foreign medical sources suggest this drug, commonly used to treat rheumatism, is very effective in treating the Coronavirus.

I have been on it for the past two years with no side effects.

Google “Plaquenil and Coronavirus” and check with your doctor if necessary.

Keep healthy.

Frank

avahifi

Re: Plaquenil
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2020, 06:06 pm »
FDA just approved it thanks to President Trump.  Totally bypassed trials process because foreign labs reports were so good (100 percent cure in 40 out of 40 patients).

Also reported that those already taking Plaquenil for other reasons are not getting sick at all.

We can win this war.

Frank

Stu Pitt

« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2020, 09:37 pm »
Regeneron’s Kevzara, which is a biological RA drug is also being tested.

orthobiz

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2020, 10:05 pm »
It's just a bit more complicated. I am guessing you are quoting the French study of 36 patients, all 36 had the virus, 20 patients were treated and 16 patients served as controls. Six of the 20 treated patients also received a Z-pak and were virus-negative by day 6. Of the remaining 14 (out of 20), 70 percent of them were negative at day 6. Not quite 100 percent, not quite 40 out of 40.

Unless of course you are quoting a different study, I would love to see the link.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marybethpfeiffer/2020/03/18/science-works-to-use-old-cheap-drugs-to-attack-coronavirus--it-might-just-work/#500ad2345c49

https://www.mediterranee-infection.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Hydroxychloroquine_final_DOI_IJAA.pdf

Paul (a bone doctor, but nonetheless I did go to medical school! :))

FDA just approved it thanks to President Trump.  Totally bypassed trials process because foreign labs reports were so good (100 percent cure in 40 out of 40 patients).

Also reported that those already taking Plaquenil for other reasons are not getting sick at all.

We can win this war.

Frank

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2020, 10:09 pm »
orthibiz and I seem to be sharing the same links but slightly different format, a good read anyway.

Read the original open data clinical trial report by Didier Raoult M.D/Ph.D, et. al in France that includes a link to the controlled clinical study with 100% cure rate with the remaining subjects (a few dropped out):
https://www.covidtrial.io/

Controlled Clinical Study:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/186Bel9RqfsmEx55FDum4xY_IlWSHnGbj/view?usp=sharing

"When comparing the effect of hydroxychloroquine treatment as a single drug and the effect of
hydroxychloroquine and azithromyc in combination, the proportion of patients that had
negative PCR results in nasopharyngeal samples was significantly different between the two
groups at days 3-4-5 and 6 post-inclusion (Table 3). At day6 post-inclusion, 100% of patients
treated with hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin combination were virologicaly cured

comparing with 57.1% in patients treated with hydroxychloroquine only, and 12.5% in the
control group"

jmc207

« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2020, 11:21 pm »
According to this doctor's video, Chloroquine doesn't target the virus by itself, it works as a zinc ionophore to shuttle more zinc into the cytosol and it's the zinc that disrupts the replication of the virus. Really good video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7F1cnWup9M

kmmd

• 5 mos.= My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2020, 11:24 pm »
Really?  The study has such a low N.  Of the treated patients, 3 worsened and 1 died out of 26.  That’s 15%. Only 15 of the 42 are male.  Women infected have a lower mortality.  Do any of them smoke?  Any pre existing conditions?  There was a mother and son.  What were the ages of all in the study?  Need a lot more info to validate, a much larger cohort, patients with similar medical problems, smokers versus non, equal distribution of gender and age groups that are not 14 years apart between control vs treated.  Adding 6 patients of the treated given a Z pack muddies the water more.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/16/opinions/south-korea-italy-coronavirus-survivability-sepkowitz/index.html
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2020, 12:38 am by kmmd »

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2020, 11:38 pm »
I certainly won't be self-medicating based on the above information except for a little Irish whiskey after a long day of reading. I'll re-access after 6 - 18 months of clinical trials.

kmmd

• Systems
« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2020, 11:57 pm »
It’s also not a randomized trial and isn’t blinded.  Gee, you look ok and can take an oral tablet, since you’re not intubated, have an NG tube in place or have a propofol drip.  Therefore you can take a pill of Plaquenil.  Gee let’s sprinkle a little z pack on top too.  By golly, you look great now!!!

kmmd

• Systems
« Reply #9 on: 20 Mar 2020, 12:25 am »
My apologies to all and especially Frank.  I respect your circle and your products.  Please feel free to delete my posts as you see fit.

I just wanted to point out the flaws in a paper that was published 2 days ago. 

I am sorry.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #10 on: 20 Mar 2020, 12:37 am »
I just wanted to point out the flaws in a paper that was published 2 days ago. 

I am sorry.

As a physcian you have every right and obligation to tell the truth, especially at this time. We are in a crisis and ignorance isn't going to help anyone.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #11 on: 20 Mar 2020, 12:54 am »
As a physcian you have every right and obligation to tell the truth, especially at this time. We are in a crisis and ignorance isn't going to help anyone.
+1

morganc

« Reply #12 on: 20 Mar 2020, 03:02 am »

Agreed

kmmd

• Systems
« Reply #13 on: 20 Mar 2020, 06:06 am »
Thank you all.  I am trying to share my knowledge and experience.  I even brought some journal club experience from my residency days for this one.  Please feel free to whack me, send me a PM or whatever if I’m way off base.

Stay safe, keep your distance, and please don’t risk your health.  This is much larger than I could have ever imagined.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #14 on: 20 Mar 2020, 03:05 pm »
A Z PAK will not help.  It is an antibiotic not an antiviral.  They were probably placed on it because of pneumonia or improperly placed on it for a diagnosis of bronchitis for which a Z Pak has no effect because 95% of the time it is viral.  It is the most improperly prescribed drug in medicine and it pretty much worthless except for Chlamydia and even that is becoming resistant to it.

WGH

« Reply #15 on: 20 Mar 2020, 06:39 pm »
Wired has an updated article profiling the people involved in posting the Google doc based on the clinical study along with what other drugs are being tested.

Chloroquine May Fight Covid-19—and Silicon Valley’s Into It
https://www.wired.com/story/an-old-malaria-drug-may-fight-covid-19-and-silicon-valleys-into-it

"Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine aren’t the only candidates. There’s a protease inhibitor called camostat mesylate that a team of German scientists says works against the mechanism that SARS-CoV-2 uses to attach to the cells it infects. Virologists are pitching nucleoside analog inhibitors—remdesivir is one of these—that screw up the virus’ ability to replicate its RNA. Trials are actually going on—in China—on drugs like darunavir and cobicistat and interferon. And that doesn’t even get into the world of monoclonal antibodies that amp up a person’s own immune system to fight the virus."

"Physicians are already using chloroquine anyway, because there’s nothing else yet. President Donald Trump actually mentioned it in a press conference on Thursday, praising the fact that it’s already approved by the FDA, albeit, again, not specifically for Covid-19. “It’s show—encouraging, very, very encouraging early results,” Trump said. “And we’re going to be able to make that drug available almost immediately.”

"Not only is it already available, as it has been for almost a century, but Covid-19 patients are already getting it. Montefiore Medical Center in New York has already started seeing the surge of Covid-19 patients that public health experts have been warning about. The hospital is participating in the remdesivir trial and is giving Covid-19 patients chloroquine. “All of our patients get put on chloroquine, as well as on antiretrovirals. We’re using Kaletra. Different places are using different antiretrovirals,” says Liise-anne Pirofski, chief of infectious diseases at Albert Einstein College of Medicine and Montefiore. “Everybody gets that, unless they have some contraindication.”

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #16 on: 21 Mar 2020, 01:46 am »
We are not  allowed to prescribe either drug.  It is being saved for hospitalized patients.

avahifi

« Reply #17 on: 21 Mar 2020, 02:42 pm »
Good thing I have an adequate supply for my rheumatism issue.

Larry, if you had a large stockpile, could you prescribe it for coronavirus without further medical decrees from above?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #18 on: 21 Mar 2020, 02:50 pm »
That would be highly irresponsible. One fat clown’s gut feeling is not a substitute for science and due process.

kmmd

• Systems
« Reply #19 on: 21 Mar 2020, 03:57 pm »
Can we please drop this until results from appropriately controlled and unbiased study results come out?  It there are positive results, we will know in 2-3 months as phase 1 completes.  I’m sure that phases 2 and 3 will progress quickly after that, but we are looking at least half to one year before anything is approved.  Kinda useless for the next few weeks and definitely not something that I’d prescribe due to a gut feeling.  I’ll happily prescribe it when the studies and science support it.