Switched from Windows to Mac?

Bemopti123

« on: 7 Feb 2005, 10:32 pm »
I am wondering if there are members who have switched from regular Windows based PC to Macinstosh.  What was the set up before and what is it now?  Do you feel that your computer needs are more limited now than before?  What about the speed?

Any comments will be avidly read.

bmed

« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2005, 11:07 pm »
I switched to Apple products about 6 months ago and I'll never look back.     Don't imagine I'll ever own another PC.  In the entire 6 months, I haven't had my computer lock up, not once;  no blue death screen from Windows.  I had some trouble initially with my Airport Express set up.  I was never on hold one single time--unbelieveable!  

I've found little limitation (except I can't use my SPSS software now).  All of the standard MS Office apps are available and cross-platform compatible.   I find that the published processor speeds result in the Mac products being equal to twice as fast Pentium processors (1.5gHz = 3.0gHz pentium).  I think my Powerbook works significantly faster with >3 open apps than my previous Compaq of the same RAM and similar processor--all subjective, of course, no actual data to support that.  

Plus, Apple products just have that look that make them more aesthetically pleasing!  (Let's be honest, that matters too.)

HPower

« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2005, 11:30 pm »
Hi 123,

2-3 months ago I picked up one of the new 20" iMac's and love it.

• 1GB DDR400 SDRAM - 2 DIMMs
• 250GB Serial ATA drive
• AirPort Extreme Base
• Bluetooth Module + Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S. English
• 20-inch widescreen LCD
• 1.8GHz PowerPC G5
• SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
• NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra w/64MB video memory

Estimated Ship:
2-4 business days
Free Shipping

Subtotal $2,522.00

Up until last week it had been sharing the house with a 4.5 year old Pentium3 running XP with 512 mb of ram.
I say up until last week because the PC deceided to die.
Good bye, so long!

I find the mac OS-X easy to catch onto and runs Photoshop and Illustrator very nicely, much better than the old PC.
The absolute best thing about the mac to me is the absolute worst thing about the PC,
no hackers, virus and all the other internet pain in the a$$s

Mac vs PC, for me it is Apple all the way.
As a matter of fact I just ordered a new "mac mini" to replace the dearly departed.

I would reccomand hitting your nearest Apple Store and check one out in person.

Bemopti123

« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2005, 11:38 pm »
Keep on coming people.  I have been surfing the net for ideas about this possible switch...more possible than really reasonable.

My present set up is a Pentium 4 with a 128 Mb accelerator card and 512 Ram, as well as a regular tubed monitor and everything else that is at most 2 years old in May and a irregular failure with the USB devices is driving me insane.  Trying to connect my $800 digital camera to the computer, the XP system denies it works.  Even regular Flash memory reader, both fail.  The only USB things that work now are a laser printer and also an optical mouse.   Deinstalled a all in 1 scanner printer and copier software 3 times, installed it three times, it failed every single time and when I call DELL technical service, they simply blamed the devices and not their pathetic computer ahem, also the operating system.  It feel it is ridiculous that we cannot connect and expect things to work correctly all the time.  Then, I should have expected this from Windows and XP.  Liked XP better than the previous set ups, but now, who knows.  

I am toying with the idea of getting either a Mini Mac or a Mac Powerbook.  I wonder which is better.

nathanm

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2005, 12:01 am »
Complex question...What kind of stuff do you want to do with your computer?

One very noticeable difference between the two platforms is that the PC crowd tends to be engaged in a constant battle against viruses, spyware and such.  Their machines are always against them.  You install something at 15 different things show up in the tray.  Programs want to own every file type on the machine.  Software nowadays is violently anti-user if you ask me.  On the Mac you'll most likely have no need for Norton Utilities and that kind of garbage.

I would get the Mac Mini and keep your CRT monitor and peripherals (if they're USB that is).  Then you don't have to put up with Apple's one-button mouse.  Well, unless you want a portable machine in which case the Powerbook makes more sense.  

Also, device\driver headaches are usually very minimal on the Mac.  Not utopia, but better than messing with Windows IMO.

HPower

« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2005, 12:25 am »
Oh ya,
I am liking my new Apple so much that this may be my next audio purchase  :wink:

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=14&cat=Power+Amplifiers&prodid=1022&product=MC1201

I wish  :mrgreen:

SET Man

PC vs Mac... leeet's geeet readyyyy to rumbleee!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2005, 12:25 am »
Okay. So, here is my story. I have been using PC for many years and never thought about the Mac. Of cause I know some people that use Mac 2 or them are my photographer bosses. But than 2 years ago my brother starting to study graphic design and of cause his school use Mac. So he got the 2nd generation iMac. And that is how I got intruduced to Mac.

Than a year ago my PC the old Dell started to get really sick from all the stuff from the net. And I'm more invole in digital photography and PhotoShop of which I can't escape from and working on PC just didn't cut it. So I start to use my brother iMac more and more. Since the old Dell is as good as dead. Getting myself a mac was a natural move for me.

I went to Apple.com and got a refurbrished 12" PowerBook with 1Ghz G4 256mb ram and superdriver! Cost me about $1400 with shipping, than I when to the Apple store down in SoHo and got the Airport card. Now I connected to wirless DSL (Verizon)  :D Now I could go anywhere with it and I will get digital SLR cam in the future I could use my Mac onlocation.

Yes, I'm very happy and I don't feel limited at all! Actually I feel much better. The PhotoShop work better on Mac. And the Safari net serfer blew the Microsoft's Interexpoler away in speed and pop up blocker and etc. The included iPhoto, iTune and iMovie are great and fun to use. Everything just much better intergrated than PC. I remember when I got this PowerBook I want to move some of the photos I have on my old PC. So, I got the little USB driver (Dane 256mb) when I plug it in to PC it won't reconized it. I ended up online with my Mac at Dane's site, downloaded the program than put is on cdrw than installed on my old PC :lol: Of cause when I plug it in to my Mac it work the first time!

Anyway, okay as you can see I'm very happy with Mac now. It is true that Mac OS architecture is more robust than PC's. With that in mind, to compare speed of Mac and PC is useless. They run differently and believe me the new Mac with what seem like slower PCU than PC could be as fast or even faster than PC multi gig PCU.... something like the new Mac G5 is out of this world. And sinc now most comment programs like Word are easily tranfer to PC and there even some Microsoft programs for Mac that promised the compatibility between them I can't see why you can't swicth to Mac. And about the internet. Mac is just more robust than PC. Mac won't let any (so far) sneaky stuff on the net to install itself on Mac like PC.

Okay I think you get the idea. Oh! here is something for all of the PC users to ponder about.  :mrgreen: s an article by a columist of SF gate.com that is featured on Apple.com page.

http://sfgate.com/columnists/morford/http://

Goodluck,
Buddy :thumb:

My gallery,

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=215

SET Man

« Reply #7 on: 8 Feb 2005, 12:36 am »
Hey! nathanm. There is no need to put up with Apple's one button mouse!You could get after market mouse. Right now I'm using Logitech USB wireless optical mouse with 2 button and scroll wheel :D I just plug it in the USB port on the side of my PowerBook and it work great the first time no need to intall any program :o And the thing use 2 AA batts (I use rechargable)

Yes, I agreed that the PowerBook would be great choice. Seem like a better machine and go any where portability is a puls.Perfect for apartment people like us New Yorker. But it will cost somewhat more.

Buddy :thumb:

My gallery,
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=215http://

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 8 Feb 2005, 01:47 am »
Great thread :thumb: I've been thinking about "switching" for a while now. You can get three MiniMacs for the price of one 12" Powerbook, and I'm actually thinking about it: home web-server, home desktop, office desktop/server. And it's more portable than a laptop, assuming there's a keyboard and screen where you take it - !

...waiting until they actually show up here (Australia) before making a decision...

Jay S

« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2005, 01:55 am »
I am thinking hard about getting a Mac Mini and a large LCD tv.  I'd use the Mac as a dvd player (it has DVI video output).  Having a 32" or larger LCD tv as a monitor would be awesome.

Bemopti123

« Reply #10 on: 8 Feb 2005, 02:21 am »
Jay S, I second your idea.  It would look very impressive with a Sharp Aquos monitor, which price have been going down a lot lately.  Now the 30" is less than 2K in the US.

RichardS

« Reply #11 on: 8 Feb 2005, 02:35 am »
I have a dual 1-gig G4 and have had nothing but problems with it.
Bought it to use with a DIGI 001 for doing audio restoration and recording.

Had trouble interfacing it with protools, took it to the self-described 'geniuses' at the Apple store for repair again and again and yet again--they kept telling me nothing was wrong, that it was the DIGI. Got a new DIGI and card--same problems.

To make a long and painful story short--they eventually (and only through threats) had to replace the motherboard TWICE, and also the processor TWICE.

And the fan is so noisy (lousy internal design) I had to drill a hole through my wall and put the G4 in the closet (and take the superdrive out and put it on my desk) and yes I've tried other fans.

That said, when it's working it's great, and I do prefer OS-X and Safari, etc. But would I buy one again for the premium price you pay...maybe, maybe not.
The G5s do look really nice (and they're quiet). I must be a glutton for punishment.

Bemopti123

« Reply #12 on: 8 Feb 2005, 03:24 am »
Wow, sorry to hear Richard about your ordeal with the G5.  There is always a bad apple in the basket.  Would like to think that my USB case with the Win Xp is also one of these apples, but I wonder.

mgalusha

« Reply #13 on: 8 Feb 2005, 04:12 am »
Nice thread. Apple sent us a 20" widescreen iMac with 1gb of ram to use for compatibility testing with Safari. This is about the coolest industrial design I have ever seen. It was love at first sight (or was that touch...). I didn't get to use it a lot (spend more time writing code that testing it, go figure) but I enjoyed my time with it a lot.

I love the near zero footprint, not much bigger than my existing LCD display, no noise, no heat and beautiful to look at. Now since I write M$ .Net code for a living, it's not much of an option for me but I really lusted after the iMac they sent us.

I had to ship it back to Apple last Friday, I was sad to see it go.  :bawl:

Levi

« Reply #14 on: 8 Feb 2005, 04:30 am »
Hey Paul,

If internet browsing and graphics matters to you most, Mac would be a good alternative for you.  They are user friendly. :D Mac also works great with graphics applications and USB or Firewire hardware. They also look great! 8) Keep your PC just in case you find a software that's not Mac friendly.

Levi

Jay S

« Reply #15 on: 8 Feb 2005, 06:00 am »
I am hoping that LCD prices will take another step decrease soon.  I read there is a new next gen plant that is opening in 1Q 2004 which is yet again more cost efficient since it can produce larger sheets of glass.  While current plants are optimized for 32" and small LCD screens which are hot in Japan, this new one will be optimized for 37".   :D   Here's hoping that 37" will be under $2k soon!  

I got a 20" Sharp LCD a year and a half ago.  It works great in my bedroom.  I only wish it had a digital video input...  Any future large screen LCD (or plasma) TV would have to have DVI input.  

And, here's a big thumbs-up to Apple's industrial design!  Up to this day, I still fondly remember my first encounters with the Mac 128k back in 1985 and the Mac LC (the first "affordable" color Mac) that I had when I was in college.  I have been without an Apple for some time until I bought my 3G iPod last year.  Now, Apple seems to be back and I'd love to get a Mac Mini and maybe even an iPod Shuffle (or maybe some future iTunes compatible mobile phone).  When my wife's IBM Thinkpad reaches the end of its life, who knows, we may get an iBook or a Powerbook, esp since Office for Mac uses the exact same file format as Office for Windows.

jgubman

« Reply #16 on: 8 Feb 2005, 06:33 am »
Been using Macs for years. OS X is really a nice OS, I find it much easier to deal with than NT or XP.

Only problems I have as a mac owner is lack of software. I have to borrow laptops every time I need to reprogram my remote control or configure my preamp, which is a bummer...

viggen

« Reply #17 on: 8 Feb 2005, 09:18 am »
Besides the lame win updates, I have no problem with PC at all.  Is it just me?  Mac OS is just funky to me.

PhilNYC

« Reply #18 on: 8 Feb 2005, 01:34 pm »
I actually have both a Windows XP machine and a Mac (eMac).

For things like video editing, music, photos, etc., there's no question to me that the Mac is superior.  iDVD, iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto...these are all just great programs, very easy to use and all the functionality you'd hope for.

For web surfing, I prefer my Windows machine.  For the most part, using the Mac for web is ok (if using Safari...Explorer does lock up sometimes), and its particularly nice to to really worry much about spyware and such.  But occassionally you run into the website here and there that doesn't quite work right on the Mac browsers.  Sometimes it comes from format errors in html table definitions, other times you get some weirdness with Flash-based menu systems, etc.  

For things like email, spreadsheets, word processing, etc., it's pretty much the same.

Overall, I feel like there's less maintenance with my Mac.  With my Windows machine, I feel like I'm always doing something with it...cleaning spyware, doing Windows updates, etc.  With the Mac, there's the occassional deleting of browser cookies, but that's about it...

Carlman

« Reply #19 on: 8 Feb 2005, 02:28 pm »
It's funny how nothing's really changed in the PC vs. Mac decision in the past 10+ years.  I've had a few Mac's and a few more PC's over the years and came to the same conclusions as most... With Apple, you spend more time working instead of learning to work on your PC (to fix it).  I think that was an ad they had years ago... where people were more productive with Mac's.  

I had a lot of problems with the Apple 'Power PC' when they first changed their processor... lots of lockups, bombs, etc. but that was in '96.  On the others I had absolutely no problems.  

On the newest Mac I setup (forget which one, it looks like a monitor sitting on an upside down white plastic bowl) I have had no real problems but did acknowledge they need maintenance on occasion to continue running properly.  I forget all the 'MacSpeak' but you have to do some tasks now and again to keep a Mac healthy.  I've supported it for about 6 months and the user has never had a major problem.  

I will likely buy a Mac as my next computer but it'll be a while.  I have automated all the maintenance for my PC and it runs like a top.  I've had tremendous luck with Toshiba laptops.  However, I do get tired of the weekly updates from Microsoft.  I don't like the 'big brother is watching' feeling I get from Microsoft.  I also don't like the constant threat of viruses, spyware, and other things.

The Mac has its own set of issues.  From a useability standpoint, I get annoyed with dragging things to the trash, holding down the mouse button, etc.. but you get used to whatever you use....

Best of luck...

-C