Dolby Atmos speakers and recommendations

WGH

Dolby Atmos speakers and recommendations
« on: 22 Aug 2019, 02:39 am »
My Outlaw 975 won't turn on, it's permanently on standby :cry:

So I just got an Anthem AVM 60  :dance:
The sound quality obliterates the Outlaw, dialog and soundtrack is super clear without being analytical, and the ARC Genisis really works. The before and after results just kills anything that can be achieved with a sound meter.

I got 5.1 covered:

Salk HT2-TL front speakers - Van Alstine Vision Set 400 amp (225w/channel)
Salk HT2C center speaker - Van Alstine Insight 3 channel amp (125w/channel)
REL Gibraltar G2 sub
Custom Vifa bipole rear surround speakers - Van Alstine Insight 3 channel amp

I have an extra Anthem PVA 2 amp so I'm thinking, why not set up an 5.1.2 Atmos system? All I need are a couple of ceiling speakers. Yea, I know: "Not supposed to use bipole speakers for Atmos, blah, blah, blah". It works with big localized sound behind the couch. And I made these speakers so they are staying.

I'm looking at ceiling speakers with an integral back box.
#1. There may not be room to build a box because of roof slope
#2. Attic has 15" blown fiberglass insulation, even with a Tyvek suit I'm not planning to spend much time up there.
#3. Dynabox too small

So what are my options for in-ceiling speakers? I have unlimited clean power and excellent speakers that can handle it so I need something bullet proof. So far the Blu-ray's of 'Blade Runner 2049' and 'Godzilla: King of Monsters' sound f*****g amazing in 5.1.

Candidates include:

Triad InCeiling Silver SealedRound: https://www.triadspeakers.com/products/everywhere-audio/inceiling-everywhere-audio/rounds/sealed_rounds/ic-silver-sealedround/

Monitor Audio CP-CT260: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_893CPCT260/Monitor-Audio-CP-CT260.html

Thought and opinions welcome, I'm leaning toward the Triad if I can get it through their dealer/installer network.

TomS

Re: Dolby Atmos speakers and recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2019, 01:31 pm »
I have 5.1.4 setup with 4 GoldenEar Invisa HTR7000's in the 8' flat ceiling. I use an Anthem AVR720 (7 amp channels) plus a Hypex 4 channel 250wpc amp (2 x Hypex NC252MO) for the 4 ceiling speakers. I also have a Nord 5 channel 500wpc Hypex amp (2 x Hypex NC502MP, 1 x NC500MP) available, but the Anthem seems to work fine for the 5 internal amp channels. Sounds quite good as it is.

witchdoctor

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2019, 09:16 pm »
I was looking at Triads for LCR duty recently. They seem to be very high quality, well engineered speakers. Luckily I have a good dealer in my town. But auditioning still not easy as he doesn't have each model installed at the store.

Sorry about your Outlaw!  :cry:   
When that happened to my Onkyo a few times, unplugging it for a couple hours would allow it to come back to life, but it has not happened since using surge protector.

PeteG

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2019, 09:17 pm »
 I have four of these in my ceiling and love them.

Polk

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2019, 10:10 pm »
I feel like I have been living under a rock, a search for ceiling speakers results in 100's of options. I didn't know this was such a huge market with prices ranging from $40 - $999 each and trying to find any consensus or reliable reviews is difficult.

A few brands have uniformly good reviews, the Golden Ear Invisa series is one. The RSL C34E is well liked and performs well above it's $125 price but it is big at almost 12". Triad Speakers are a Canadian company with manufacturing in Portland, OR and has been around since 1980, I like their philosophy and dedication to quality. I have read KEF ceiling speakers have a wide dispersion pattern if you need to fill up a big space. Even with 1000's of pages, AVS Forum has very few posts by true experts, everyone seems to like what they bought.

An interesting product I found is a nylon bag to protect ceiling speakers from blown in insulation and dust, no need to build a back box which can lead to attenuated bass or boxy sound if not designed properly.

Pro Wire ISF-147 Insu-Flate Ceiling Speaker Protector for $4.96 
https://www.parts-express.com/pro-wire-isf-147-insu-flate-ceiling-speaker-protector--300-265

AV Science is a Triad dealer that will sell individual speakers to the public, otherwise you have to go through an professional installer. The Silver SealedRound is $360 each delivered.
https://avscience.com/

elbret

« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2019, 04:05 pm »
Def Tech. Relatively efficient and wide frequency response.

bdub149

« Reply #7 on: 3 Dec 2019, 07:49 pm »
I'm curiuos...I'm piecing together my home theater with some JBL 590s and possible 530s for surrounds. Anybody have any advice on speakers to use for atmos with Jbls. The 530s seem extreme for surrounds.  :scratch:

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 3 Dec 2019, 09:09 pm »
My first thought would be to stay in the JBL family, that way if you get into surround sound music the timbre will be similar. The JBL Studio 210 is a more stylish on the wall speaker. Don't worry about low end, surround sound processors roll off the bass of surrounds and Atmos speakers at 80 Hz to 100 Hz, redirecting all the low stuff to the sub.

The JBL ceiling speakers in witchdoctor's post would work for Atmos.

I like bipole speakers for surrounds for a more spacious sound plus people at each end of the couch don't get blasted. You probably can find something similar for less money than the Triad Onwall Bronze Surrounds ($990 retail) that I use, but I found mine on eBay for $325.

WC

« Reply #9 on: 3 Dec 2019, 09:26 pm »
I have JBL530's for fronts and surrounds. I like them for surrounds. I won't use them for Atmos speakers though. For Atmos, just about any reasonable will be fine. I was looking at the JBL Control 1's or some JBL ceiling speakers, but Atmos Speakers are at least a few years away for me.

witchdoctor

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jan 2020, 10:01 pm »
WGH what did you end up getting for Atmos?

WGH

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jan 2020, 07:11 pm »
WGH what did you end up getting for Atmos?

The fabulous Triad Bronze Inwall 4/Surround speakers flush mounted in the ceiling
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=163696.msg1762772#msg1762772

It has been 3 months since the install and I wouldn't change a thing, Atmos is totally immersive without any speaker beaming. The sound is very natural, the Triad speakers are not a bright, in-your-face design but they can still easily reproduce sharp, quick sounds if required. The more common Atmos ambient soundtrack is seamless and does not call attention to itself, just as it should be.

A note about the Anthem ARC Genesis room calibration: Anthem has chosen to roll off the high frequency's starting at 2 KHz, probably a good idea based on the small, screaming speakers I have seen advertised. A more balanced surround and ceiling speaker with a fabric tweeter like the Triad's sound better with a flatter frequency profile. The Genesis software has a tilt adjustment that can raise just the mid and high levels to make the surround and Atmos effects come alive.

witchdoctor

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jan 2020, 07:42 pm »
The fabulous Triad Bronze Inwall 4/Surround speakers flush mounted in the ceiling
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=163696.msg1762772#msg1762772

It has been 3 months since the install and I wouldn't change a thing, Atmos is totally immersive without any speaker beaming. The sound is very natural, the Triad speakers are not a bright, in-your-face design but they can still easily reproduce sharp, quick sounds if required. The more common Atmos ambient soundtrack is seamless and does not call attention to itself, just as it should be.

A note about the Anthem ARC Genesis room calibration: Anthem has chosen to roll off the high frequency's starting at 2 KHz, probably a good idea based on the small, screaming speakers I have seen advertised. A more balanced surround and ceiling speaker with a fabric tweeter like the Triad's sound better with a flatter frequency profile. The Genesis software has a tilt adjustment that can raise just the mid and high levels to make the surround and Atmos effects come alive.

Congratulations!! Have you tried Atmos music yet? I think Fandango and Vudu have more Atmos content for streaming than Amazon.

https://music.dolby.com/