CD-PRO2M Builder's questions and comments

bambadoo

« Reply #20 on: 24 Jan 2005, 10:15 pm »
I checked the VFD power supply module. The D7 is shorted. I followed the instruction manual and it should be shorted according to it.
Another thing:
I have an audio note dac. When using the cdpro2 kit as a transport I get very strange noices from the dac before the stand by switch is turned on. Almost like the valves in the dac is getting beated up or something. I have never experienced that before. My former transport is a Copland CDA288x cd player.
I am using the digital pulse transformers. An I assume that this has to do with the digital out module.  Since I have innstalled the pulse transformers, I also innstalled C5 (0.1uf) on the digital out module.

Best Regards

bambadoo

« Reply #21 on: 25 Jan 2005, 07:41 pm »
I have been all over the vfd display now. Everything is "by the book". Still just a little glare of numbers. And only the track numbers. The "time" numbers won't show at all.
All that I noticed was the values of R2-R6 which shoud be (49R9F), and in the package was (51R1F)

SteveSun

« Reply #22 on: 25 Jan 2005, 09:05 pm »
Hi bambadoo: can you measure the voltage at the following points for me:

4 output terminals on the VFD Power Supply board (relative to the left-most terminal (with black wires)), and I will help you debug this situation.

bambadoo

« Reply #23 on: 25 Jan 2005, 11:02 pm »
Yes of course I will. No problem.

bambadoo

« Reply #24 on: 26 Jan 2005, 12:06 am »
Ok here are the values (relative to black)
Black-Red - 5V
Black-Grey - 0.45 V
Black-Purple  - 0.45V
Black-Green   -  3V
i don't know what the values should be.

Best Regards

bkloos

« Reply #25 on: 26 Jan 2005, 02:44 pm »
Hey Bombadoo,

I have an AN dac and I have the same clicking sounds you observe.  These sounds are the input relay trying to determine which input to switch to.  When the signal is identified, the relay locks on to that input.  The clicking is just a confused relay.  I am thinking about modding the AN Dac to maintain its relay position to avoid these sounds.  It wouldn't be a problem, but after several minutes on non-use, the CDPRO shuts down to standbye, and then the clilcking of the relay...

I just turn off the power switch on the CDPRO2 after I am finished, and leave the dac on constantly.  I imagine it takes tubes longer to warm up than the CDPRO2.

Bryan

bambadoo

« Reply #26 on: 26 Jan 2005, 03:14 pm »
Great, thanks for the information . very helpful indeed.
I can relax then. I will also try to bypass the relay then, since I only use RCA outputs.  I will email Peter Q. regarding this issue.

Best Regards

SteveSun

« Reply #27 on: 26 Jan 2005, 06:30 pm »
Hi Bambadoo: it seems that your VFD Power Supply Module is not working correctly! Please check all components are correctly installed on VFD Power Module. You should be able to get +5V and -24V for VFD module! Please let me know, if you found anything.

bambadoo

« Reply #28 on: 26 Jan 2005, 06:55 pm »
Well, maybe it's time to be embarrassed. I it seems I have swapped the R1 and R2.
Will reswapping them make the trick?
We'll se in about 30 minutes.

Best Regards
Thanks for the advice.

bambadoo

« Reply #29 on: 26 Jan 2005, 07:57 pm »
And  :o  :o  :o
It is working. Beautiful.
Will be listening tonight.

SteveSun

« Reply #30 on: 26 Jan 2005, 07:58 pm »
Congratulations!

JoshK

« Reply #31 on: 28 Jan 2005, 11:26 pm »
simple question but in the manual, for the VFD power supply module, it says R1 is a 2211F, whereas the one I have in my baggy is a 2201F.  This means 2.20 vs 2.21, does this variance matter?

ken_diyzone.net

• http://www.DigitalAnalogueDIY.com
« Reply #32 on: 29 Jan 2005, 04:31 am »
Hi Josh,

No.  Does not matter in this case.

Thanks
Ken

JoshK

« Reply #33 on: 29 Jan 2005, 05:00 am »
OK, first of probably many stupid human errors on my part....

I soldered in the big U2 40pin IC socket backwards.  It fell out when I flipped it over and when I put it back I was careless.   But does this matter if the IC is put in the correct direction whether the socket is backwards?

ken_diyzone.net

« Reply #34 on: 29 Jan 2005, 09:10 pm »
Josh,

Does not matter if the socket is in right in this case, but the IC need to be CORRECTLY positioned, according to the PCB print.

Regards,
Ken

JoshK

« Reply #35 on: 29 Jan 2005, 09:12 pm »
thanks that is what I assumed but wasn't 100% sure.  Since it isn't mine I didn't want to assume.

JoshK

« Reply #36 on: 30 Jan 2005, 08:41 pm »
One question I'll throw out there.   (I haven't yet printed off the entire installation manual yet, so it could be in the part I haven't read yet)  

Is there a way to test that the individual PCBs are all working correctly before assembling the entire kit?  For the PSUs, I would say yes since I can hook up the transformer to the PSU and measure the output, although this isn't ideal (I wish I had a bench PSU).  For the others I don't know.  I have a sneaking suspicion I ruined the A970 transistor when stuffing. I can always order another, but wonder if there are generally good means of testing these sort of things.

ken_diyzone.net

« Reply #37 on: 31 Jan 2005, 03:03 am »
Hi Josh,

Great idea.  I am going to let Steve get back to you on this one, he has the specs in his place.  Let you know by tomorrow.

Thanks
Ken

bambadoo

« Reply #38 on: 31 Jan 2005, 01:06 pm »
Hello all cdpro2 owners.
I have a question regarding "stand by" mode. Is it possible to disable this feature? I am asking because my Dac doesn't seem to be so happy about it. When the cdpro2 goes into stand by mode (after some minutes of inactivity), a relay starts to switch between the 2 inputs on my dac. That doesn't sound good.

Best Regards

Levi

LCD forward
« Reply #39 on: 31 Jan 2005, 03:19 pm »
Gents,

May I suggest the LCD display be moved forward.  It is extremely difficult to see the display when it is not  in the eye-level.  The buttons may need to be labeled or engraved based on it's functions. >, <<, >>.   :idea:

Levi