CD-PRO2M Builder's questions and comments

ken_diyzone.net

• http://www.DigitalAnalogueDIY.com
« on: 7 Jan 2005, 04:17 pm »
Please post any questions and comments that you have about the building process of the cd-pro2m kit.  It is a lot of parts, we did our best in putting all the information into the installation manual, but I am sure some little things might have been missed.

Steve and I will always monitor this thread and try to answer your question as soon as we can

Regards,
Ken

ken_diyzone.net

Correction to the manual
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2005, 07:41 pm »
Hi,

Please note that R10 and R11 should follow the part list, not the installation manual.  

We have corrected the on-line version of the manual, just want to let people who downloaded and printed the manual know.

Thanks
Ken

bkloos

Need Assistance with build
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2005, 08:32 pm »
Hey guys,

So everything is together and I have a couple problems....

The 5 volt regulator was not working, but then I realized the error in the manual vs. the parts list.  I swapped the components, and voila!  

Now for the more serious and puzzling question.  My display is not working.  When I power on, the lower LED on the VFD illuminates, and when the standby switch is flipped this LED flashes , while the other LEDs illuminate.  If a CD is in when I turn the standby switch, it spins up, and the controls will allow me to stop/play/ff/rev the disk, but still no display.  I have output on th RCA's and at the digital out.

I did originally have U7 (LM555) in backwards on the CD sensor, but changed the orientation, and still no luck.  The remote works as well.  So, any suggestions as to the best way to troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks for any assistance.

Bryan

ken_diyzone.net

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2005, 08:52 pm »
Looking for answers, get back to you soon..

bkloos

Update
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2005, 09:17 pm »
Ken,

I determined the problem to be Q1 on the VFD board with a backwards orrientation.  I changed its orrientation and now I have the display working.  

The only problem now is the CD sensor does not seem to recognize when a disk is inserted.  If I have a CD on the transport when I turn hit the standby switch, it works just fine, but if there is no disk present when I flip the standby switch it reads no disk.  Then when I insert a disk, it is not recognized.  I assume this is a problem with the sensor board???

I will double check things, but any advice would again be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan

ken_diyzone.net

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2005, 09:31 pm »
Hi Bryan,

This is for CD sensor does not seem to recognize when a disk is inserted problem.

Please check few things:

1. Make sure that on VFD Module, the jumpers are set properly: especially JUMP2, please refer to the picture on assembly manual page 25, and please note that the jumper needs to connect 2 pins closer the the edge of that PCB.

If JMP2 is set up correctly, then the problem is on the CD-detection module:

2. Make sure the slotted side of the MOLEX socket is facing the edge of PCB not facing the transistor right next to it, like the picture on page 17 of the assembly manual. (The printing on the PCB about this Socket and the orientation of the transistor is NOT correct!)

If all the above 2 parts are properly installed, then the problem is on the CD sensor itself:

3. Make sure the Sensor is PERPENDICULAR to the CD-disk and the distance from the sensor to CD should be 5 mm to 10 mm (no more than 10 mm). You may need to try few times to fix this problem.

bkloos

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2005, 11:10 pm »
Just wanted to let everyone know the problems are fixed.  I had the sensor in backwards.  Everything is working fine, and she is breaking in as I type.

I will report on my listening imoressions in the near future.

Thanks,

Bryan

LIMIN

• http://www.diyzone.net
« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2005, 04:28 am »
Congratulations!

bambadoo

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2005, 09:48 pm »
The kits have arrived and everything looks beautiful.
However: I got into a problem during the assembly of the VFD display (main control Module pcb. In the assembly manual it says that
R1 is a 10k*f - 7 pin resistor network  and R7 is a 10k*7 - 8 pin resistor network.
During my assembly I couldnt find the 8 pin resistor network (R7), Just another 7 pin resistor network.
I assumed that either the assembly manual was wrong, or was out of date, or that It wouldn't matter.  Therefore I used the 7 pin resistor network on (R7) also, and soldered it to the pcb.
After assembly of all the pcbs I found the 8-pin resistor network in the other box, and in a small plastic bag with 2 small pcbs, and the "disk puck".
Great! I now had to desolder the 7 pin resistor network.
But  that is easier said than done. I have big problems desoldering it.
It is very tight between the the different parts there.  And I don't want to damage the pcb.
What will happen if I only leave the pcb as it is? Do I have to change the 7 pin resistor (R7) to the 8 pin resistor?

Best Regards

SteveSun

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jan 2005, 08:40 pm »
Yes bambadoo: you need to desolder R7. R7 needs to be 8-pin network.

bambadoo

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jan 2005, 11:02 pm »
Thanks for the information. Ken emailed me with the same information.
Great customer service this.
I did it, but it was difficult with my solder skils. I have ordered some more solder/un-solder equipment so that I will be prepared.
Now I think I got it all right. I'll start assemble the Chassis tomorrow. This is a great produkt.
Now is this how the resistor networks is supposed to be?

All of the pcb's is ok now I think.

Looks nice right  :wink:

Best Regards
Greetings from Norway

LIMIN

• http://www.diyzone.net
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2005, 12:44 pm »
Good Job!

bkloos

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jan 2005, 08:32 pm »
So, I have what may be a very stupid question....

There are two brown acrylic pieces in the CDPRO2 kit.  One is obviously the for the front plate, but what is the other L shapped piece for?

Thanks,

Bryan

ken_diyzone.net

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jan 2005, 09:52 pm »
The L shape one suppose to cover the display PCB, to have a cleaner look.

Ken

RRE

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jan 2005, 06:32 pm »
Quote from: ken_diyzone.net
The L shape one suppose to cover the display PCB, to have a cleaner look.

Ken

Hi Ken

I also can not see where and how to place the L shape. May you please explain. A picture maybe?

RRE

bambadoo

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jan 2005, 09:06 pm »
Ok I finished it todat. Looks beautiful. I came across one problem.
Everything works fine. It reads the cds, but the display is very weak.
I can sense that it says track "14" if I look very close, but it is extremely difficult.
Seems that the display itself doesn't get enough power or something. Or maybe is broken.
I really don't know what is the problem.

bambadoo

« Reply #16 on: 24 Jan 2005, 09:14 pm »
Maybe it is the same problem that the other fellow had? I will check.

Best Regards

ken_diyzone.net

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jan 2005, 09:19 pm »
RRE,

I'll find a picture tonight to explain the L shape cover.

Mr. Bambadoo,

There is a way to short RL205 to brighten up the display, I'll write back later.

Regards,
Ken

ken_diyzone.net

« Reply #18 on: 24 Jan 2005, 09:28 pm »
Mr. Bambadoo,

On the VFD Display Power Supply Module Circuit Board, you can short D7, by taking out the RL205 and replace with a wire, the display will lite up more.

Please make sure you take the board out of the chassis and disconnect all power when you do this mod.  I was able to zap my board when I did this mod with the power connected. :-(

Regards,
Ken

bambadoo

« Reply #19 on: 24 Jan 2005, 09:48 pm »
Thanks for the tip. I will try that tomorrow. Everything else looks fine.
However I have a feeling that this will only help a little. The display is almost black, just shades of light -   :wink:

Best Regards