How much power does a Larger sub need?

ctviggen

« Reply #20 on: 17 Dec 2004, 02:08 pm »
Thanks for all the replies.  I didn't think about getting a deal on two subs (and this would be better -- not only from a musical standpoint -- but because I could sell my SV sub).  As for subs, I like the SV sub but have never been able to integrate it into my stereo system; instead, I use it only for movies.  Every time I've tried to integrate it into my 2-channel system, it's been too "boomy" for me.  Additionally, because there's only one sub and it's typically in a corner a relatively far distance from the main speakers, I can localize it.  This was especially true when I had my system in my other house, on wood floors above a basement.  Now that the system is in a basement, it's a little harder to localize the sub.  

But localization is the main reason I'm thinking of going to two subs.  Another reason is that two subs would allow me to place my RM40s at the best location for imaging and detail, without worrying (too much) about bass.  Yet another option is to keep the SV sub for LFE only, which is where it does a really good job.  But then, that'd be three large subs in one room!  I could move the SV sub to the back of the room, though.

Too many options!

jpsartre

« Reply #21 on: 17 Dec 2004, 05:13 pm »
Quote from: woodsyi
Hello Jean Paul

I also have a larger and K2 but I am running it "stereo".  Do you find the mono path better? Or is it easier to EQ a mono input?

I had initially ran it stereo and ran some, admittedly extreme, tests on it and found it was easier to clip the K2 driving both ch. separately than bridged (more applicable to HT than music, really)

EQ could be simpler with the mono approach depending on how you wire it but in my case I am applying eq right off the source and before the pre-amp so it wasn't much of a factor. It just makes better theoretical sense to me (everything is theory after all) to throw maximum wattage at it and let the woofers duke it out for the juice!

Jean Paul :P

Adz523

« Reply #22 on: 18 Dec 2004, 12:51 am »
To elaborate on Jimmy's earlier post, I'm the one who ran the Larger Sub at first using two channels of my Cinenova Grande 5 - 300 wpc, so 600 watts in total.  At the same time, I was using the other 3 channels to power my surrounds.  This worked very well and the CineNova held its own doing a fine job.  Listening at my insanely reference level, I only clipped one time which wa during the opening battle scene in Master and Commander when the cannons fired.  In my inevitable quest for more power, I eventually purchased a K2.  Interestingly, I first bridged it and found the 2,500 watts to be way too overbearing (even for me) and now run each channel stereo mode (500wpc, 1,000 total).  I am very happy with the results.  Still clips for a split second though in that same Master and Commander scene when the cannons fire at times.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #23 on: 21 Dec 2004, 05:58 am »
Years ago Rosconey did a summer shootout/barbecue/beerfest with his LSW & another guy with his SVU.  Under moderate to loud conditions, it was generally agreed to be a draw.  When push came to shove, & a winner had to be chosen under the most extreme conditions, both acknowledged Brian's had more juice.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 21 Dec 2004, 06:08 am »
Was the test just HT, Jim?

rosconey

« Reply #25 on: 21 Dec 2004, 10:52 am »
i forgot about that :lol:
music not a ht test-
vmps wins :mrgreen:

ctviggen

« Reply #26 on: 21 Dec 2004, 02:05 pm »
Well, when I get my VMPS sub (which I will sooner or later), I can do a test between my PC+ SVS and the VMPS sub.  However, to me, the VMPS sub seems better designed and should move more air.

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #27 on: 21 Dec 2004, 06:07 pm »
ADZ523,

I have the Rm-30's(front three) and ribbon dipole surrounds and one larger sub(the other one is coming out of the box soon).

I use the CaryAudio premap 8 and Cary power amps cinema series and use some channels for the Larger sub. I also use Master and Commander and have not clipping at all even with unheard of volumes. This is approximately 350 (underated) per channel. I can play it "full" volume but the mice start to leave the walls at that point. :lol: It is very clear at that volume but very loud.

Larry
AudioandImage.com

lkosova

« Reply #28 on: 21 Dec 2004, 06:14 pm »
ctviggen,

The VMPS subs just work and work great and intergrate as good as it gets. If setup properly you will not be able to locate the subs location. I can't even locate my surrounds locations. This sub moves air and plenty of it. I did not have my screen bolted all the way on the bottom of my screen and the sub let me know it!!!

You will be very pleased with the sub. My only suggestion and I did not read the whole thread is get one larger sub and place yours in the back of the room,if that works and see if you can get them to blend. SVS is a nice sub but VMPS is just better with the VMPS speakers in my opinion. I don't think you will be sorry.

Larry

jgubman

« Reply #29 on: 12 Jan 2005, 07:40 am »
Anyone try these plate amps from Parts Express?

1024w RMS @ 4ohm, 1 channel para. eq, phase reversal, line and high level inputs and the literature that accompanies it looks pretty good:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-808

I'm getting a pair of Largers and thinking about picking up a pair of these amps to go with it.

My preamp (meridian g68) has room correction, so the EQ isn't that important to me, only thing holding me back is I don't know if anyone's heard it yet.

Would you guys recommend buying the plate amps or spending the money on a used K2?

gongos

« Reply #30 on: 12 Jan 2005, 08:44 am »
Quote from: jgubman
Anyone try these plate amps from Parts Express?

1024w RMS @ 4ohm, 1 channel para. eq, phase reversal, line and high level inputs and the literature that accompanies it looks pretty good:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-808

I'm getting a pair of Largers and thinking about picking up a pair of these amps to go with it.

My preamp (meridian g68) has room correction, so the EQ isn't that important to me, only thing holding me back is I don't know if anyone's heard i ...

I use one of those amps for my VMPS 215 sub and couldn't be any more pleased for the price.

ctviggen

« Reply #31 on: 12 Jan 2005, 01:34 pm »
Did you mount this in a box or just set it near the sub?

lkosova

« Reply #32 on: 12 Jan 2005, 09:53 pm »
Bob,

I just talked with the tech guy at Parts Express and I think that is a great amp choice. The price is extremely nice also and 1000 per larger , you will move your room!!! :D

Larry

ctviggen

« Reply #33 on: 12 Jan 2005, 10:10 pm »
It does look nice -- a good amount of power and a parametric eq.  I'm not sure what I'd do with it, though, in terms of putting it somewhere.  Maybe I could hide it near the sub.  (I have one Larger now, and an SVS sub too.)

gongos

« Reply #34 on: 12 Jan 2005, 10:12 pm »
I just have mine next to the sub and try to hide it the best I can.

jgubman

« Reply #35 on: 12 Jan 2005, 10:28 pm »
Gongos, did you just clip off the quick connect terminations and use a spade instead?

The wire looks pretty thin, any problems finding a spade to accomodate it?

gongos

« Reply #36 on: 12 Jan 2005, 11:37 pm »
I used the terminations on the amp. I just put the appropriate connectors on the 12 gauge wire I have running from the sub to the amp. I don't think you can use spades with these plate amps.

doug s.

• makin' music

ctviggen

« Reply #38 on: 13 Jan 2005, 07:49 pm »
That also looks like a good amp.  I'm leaning toward the plate amp, because it has an eq, doesn't have a fan, and is relatively inexpensive as these things go.  However, I can change my mind at any time!

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #39 on: 13 Jan 2005, 08:48 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
That also looks like a good amp.  I'm leaning toward the plate amp, because it has an eq, doesn't have a fan, and is relatively inexpensive as these things go.  However, I can change my mind at any time!

it's wery possible that qsc has updated their fan - i know wirtually silent fans have been used here to replace the older stock iterations.  posts to this forum have been made about it.  and, cheap eq modules for the qsc amps are awailable.  personally, i'd think one of these amps are a *lot* better than the plate amps, but i could be wrong.  and $400 seems a lot to pay for a mono plate amp...  

also, i would prefer the likely better quality of a true outboard x-over/eq; i personally wouldn't even bother w/the qsc's plug-in modules...

ymmv,

doug s.