Driven, Cadillac ATS-V

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Driven, Cadillac ATS-V
« on: 2 Mar 2016, 03:21 am »
I've been driving and writing about cars for some time, for various publication.  Most recently drove a 2016 Cadillac ATS-V.  The goal for GM was an honest M3 beater, laudable but I wouldn't have thought they had it in them.  End result, I most likely would take this over an M3.  The 6500 rpm redline is intrusive, the wind screen on the sunroof creates an infuriating noise, and the gauges look like they were pulled from the Spark parts bin.  But that's where the negatives end, the chassis is sublime and the biggest surprise of the drive.  I would have never thought GM could create a 'big' car with that much grip, or that neutrally balanced.  We all know GM can make horsepower, but from a twin turbo V6?  It pulls smooth and hard, the car struggles for grip anywhere under 60mph.  Turn the traction control off and beware, things can get out of control in a hurry! 

This car is extremely capable, moreso than most will ever discover on public roads.  Having a long time anti-GM bias I find myself somewhat in disbelief of what I'm about to say, but Cadillac has created a legitimate M3/M4 beater. 

One of my pictures

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Driven, Cadillac ATS-V
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2016, 12:55 pm »
Nice sport car, only the headlights are unsightly.

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2016, 07:16 pm »
Though a Ford guy, I love, love, LOVE the CTS-V wagon. 

That car never fails to make me double take, and drool!   :icon_twisted:

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2016, 08:55 pm »
Love it
My next car and make it White Diamond

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2016, 09:14 pm »
Nice. A fun drive I'm sure, though I can't say after the racing efforts a few years ago with the CTS I'm surprised they expanded the lessons learned further in the chain.  8)

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2016, 11:30 pm »
The Corvette gets 29mpg on highway, this gets 23mpg? The M3 gets 26mpg....

I have expectations for the money spent and supposed advancements in technology. Squeezing out the same HP as cars have been capable for awhile, with a slightly more streetable performance isn't enough anymore.

I bet it drives nice but the idea behind a 4 door sports car to me is I can drive something fun daily, so even more so I'd expect it to do better.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2016, 01:31 am »
Nice photo Ryan, well done.  :thumb:

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2016, 02:20 am »
The Corvette gets 29mpg on highway, this gets 23mpg? The M3 gets 26mpg....

I have expectations for the money spent and supposed advancements in technology. Squeezing out the same HP as cars have been capable for awhile, with a slightly more streetable performance isn't enough anymore.

I bet it drives nice but the idea behind a 4 door sports car to me is I can drive something fun daily, so even more so I'd expect it to do better.

If you're comparing based on a mpg this way or that, you're not the target audience.  I've done my share of track time, getting to the SCCA Nationals Runoffs 3 years straight.  The ATS-V is aimed at people who want a truly track ready car they can live with every day.  I could see myself driving an ATS-V, although honestly it's a big bigger than I'd want.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2016, 02:28 am »
Nice photo Ryan, well done.  :thumb:

Thanks, I always enjoy using ultra-wides for auto shots too

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2016, 02:31 am »
Oh yea, that's cool. A bit of a 'caricature', but still very cool!

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 3 Mar 2016, 02:39 am »
I'm the target audience all car dealers will have to come to terms with before long. Yes I want a track ready (really weekend warrior track, it's not race spec, nor is an M3), and for it to be daily. I want to see some decent engineering. I can build my own engine/buy a kit and put it in a Miata if I want to dominate the track in a daily. It's not hard. But we're talking a luxury car so why shouldn't they put some thought in? Hell in even Land Rover came out with a diesel and came up with a way to turn the engine instantly on/off while waiting in traffic.

Horsepower is EASY and manufacturers need to stop pretending it's all they can do. And we need to ask them otherwise they're just stalling on progress.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #11 on: 3 Mar 2016, 02:56 am »
I'm the target audience all car dealers will have to come to terms with before long. Yes I want a track ready (really weekend warrior track, it's not race spec, nor is an M3), and for it to be daily. I want to see some decent engineering. I can build my own engine/buy a kit and put it in a Miata if I want to dominate the track in a daily. It's not hard. But we're talking a luxury car so why shouldn't they put some thought in? Hell in even Land Rover came out with a diesel and came up with a way to turn the engine instantly on/off while waiting in traffic.

Horsepower is EASY and manufacturers need to stop pretending it's all they can do. And we need to ask them otherwise they're just stalling on progress.

There's a lot more to engineering than just fuel economy.  Building a 3700lb 4 door sedan that can be quiet and luxurious one minute, then pulling 1.05g and low 12's in the 1/4 mile the next, also requires some serious engineering.  The chassis/magnetic suspension combo on this car is amazing.  And GM put it all together in about a quarter the time it normally takes for product development of this type. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 3 Mar 2016, 03:01 am »

Have you driven an ATS-V?

Folsom

« Reply #13 on: 3 Mar 2016, 03:56 am »
Have you driven an ATS-V?

No, what's the point in asking? An amazing driving car doesn't erase the mpg.

It's a nice car in many areas. Maybe future models will be improved; maybe they'll use the cylinder turn off tech like the Vette.

Mikeinsacramento

« Reply #14 on: 3 Mar 2016, 04:37 am »

It's a nice car in many areas. Maybe future models will be improved; maybe they'll use the cylinder turn off tech like the Vette.

Buy a prius.

I can't get 20 mpg idling downhill in my Mustang GT but I don't care.

It sounds Glorious.

Folsom

« Reply #15 on: 3 Mar 2016, 04:42 am »
You're missing the point. I'd buy the M3 since it's showing some effort.

BTW I enjoy muscle cars and such, but 4-door track fun cars are special to me as a daily possibility. There's numerous things I wouldn't drive daily.

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #16 on: 3 Mar 2016, 04:48 am »

I am holding my tongue.
Give me a break.
What planet are you from.
How far left are you?
You are being politically way far left  right? 

Folsom

« Reply #17 on: 3 Mar 2016, 05:14 am »
No. Are you?

In my opinion numerous manufacturers are dropping the ball by redesigning their grill when their engine is from yesterday. MPG is what's left in engine performance that should be attained.

This is all ironic given that Ryan doesn't build his speakers going, "I bet I can make them real good but it's ok if they sorta suck in this one area not everyone cares about."

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #18 on: 3 Mar 2016, 11:04 am »
Great pics Vapor.

Was that sedan manual? It is beautiful but the coupe is hideous.  :?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #19 on: 3 Mar 2016, 12:45 pm »
Great pics Ryan.

I own a 2009 M3 sedan and absolutely love it.  Depending on how I drive it, it can be a good or a GREAT driving experience.  I love the sound of the engine (real sound, nothing piped in) and there is definitely something to be said for a big V8 that revs over 8k RPM's!!   :thumb:

Outside of the winter, I drive it a lot (I have put on 32k miles in 2 years) and have only a few complaints:

-  Gas mileage stinks (depending on how I drive I average between 15-19 mpg)
-  The cup holders suck (they rattle and are not big or deep enough)
-  There are too many little noises for a car this expensive

That said, the Cadillac ATS-V is on my list to try this Spring (along with the newest Jag) as a possible alternative to the M3.

What did you think about the following?

-  How was the interior?
-  How much room is in the back seat?
-  How are the sight lines?

George