Driven, Cadillac ATS-V

ctviggen

Re: Driven, Cadillac ATS-V
« Reply #40 on: 2 Apr 2016, 01:51 pm »
I have no problem if people enjoy their cars.  For me, I find I can't really enjoy a car when I can't drive it anywhere its limits 99.99% of the time.  In fact, it's illegal to do so pretty much 100% of the time.  When you find yourself doing 50+ mph in a 25, it might be tremendous fun, but it's illegal and dangerous.  George, you obviously know New England and know the roads.  They're narrow and windy, which can be fun to drive in a nice car.  When I first got my Viggen, I used to drive a fun, windy road all the time.  I could easily triple the speed on that road.  Then I realized one day that people walked their dogs on that road, lived on that road, etc.  And I realized as I had to cross the road where I lived to get my mail or went jogging on my roads or had people tailgate me as I tried to keep within 15mph over the speed limit that people driving two to three times the speed limit were dangerous. I then tried to slow down, but then realized I had a car that was pretty much wasted.

Now, I'm thinking about going back to a higher power car, and a hatchback again.  But at the same time, I wonder why I would do this.  When can I use the capabilities of the car without speeding?  Entering a highway?  Passing people?  That's about it.  Otherwise, I'm doing something illegal.  If I don't take the car to a track and want to keep speeds to within 15 mph above the speed limit, my diesel VW wagon can handle that.  Why do I need 300+ horsepower to do that?  I don't. 

That's my personal opinion.  If you feel differently, that's fine.  Ask yourself, though, when you have fun in your car.  What's your speed?  It's my guess it's much faster than the posted speed limit.  It's your choice.  I've been choosing lower power cars for this reason.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #41 on: 2 Apr 2016, 02:31 pm »
One of the best things in life is a fully throttle romp (up to the posted speed limit, of course) while your young daughter is in the back seat screaming, "Faster Daddy, Faster"!!!!!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #42 on: 2 Apr 2016, 03:29 pm »
I have no problem if people enjoy their cars.  For me, I find I can't really enjoy a car when I can't drive it anywhere its limits 99.99% of the time.  In fact, it's illegal to do so pretty much 100% of the time.  When you find yourself doing 50+ mph in a 25, it might be tremendous fun, but it's illegal and dangerous. 

That's my middle name, Ryan Dangerous and Illegal Scott.  I derive pleasure from finding the limits of a car, and trying to hold it right there as long as possible.  The ability to manipulate a car effortlessly has extricated me from numerous accidents over the years.  I got not problem pushing it on public roads, nor do I have a problem teaching my daughter that's ok.  A passionate and engaged driver is a driver that's paying attention, and that equals a safe driver. 

I did get my first speeding ticket in 10+ years in the Camaro last weekend, 86 in a 45.  But there was nobody around, and I was super polite to the cop, who did me a huge favor and wrote it for 60 in a 45.  My daughter was in the car with me and I got to teach her a lesson about how being polite to police is always the smart thing to do.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #43 on: 2 Apr 2016, 03:32 pm »
Ohhh dude...you're gunna get blasted for that one.  Let the flames begin.  :lol:

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #44 on: 2 Apr 2016, 03:37 pm »
Ohhh dude...you're gunna get blasted for that one.  Let the flames begin.  :lol:

Oh I know, but care not I do.  25 years of pushing cars to their limit, and not one accident that was my doing. 

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a 2016 Miata here that I have to see if I can get up onto 2 wheels. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #45 on: 2 Apr 2016, 04:14 pm »
Roger that.  :thumb:
I've seen three pretty neat cars in your driveway, in almost as many days.
All with one common trait..... They have no tops.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #46 on: 2 Apr 2016, 04:37 pm »
I have no problem if people enjoy their cars.  For me, I find I can't really enjoy a car when I can't drive it anywhere its limits 99.99% of the time.  In fact, it's illegal to do so pretty much 100% of the time.  When you find yourself doing 50+ mph in a 25, it might be tremendous fun, but it's illegal and dangerous.  George, you obviously know New England and know the roads.  They're narrow and windy, which can be fun to drive in a nice car.  When I first got my Viggen, I used to drive a fun, windy road all the time.  I could easily triple the speed on that road.  Then I realized one day that people walked their dogs on that road, lived on that road, etc.  And I realized as I had to cross the road where I lived to get my mail or went jogging on my roads or had people tailgate me as I tried to keep within 15mph over the speed limit that people driving two to three times the speed limit were dangerous. I then tried to slow down, but then realized I had a car that was pretty much wasted.

Now, I'm thinking about going back to a higher power car, and a hatchback again.  But at the same time, I wonder why I would do this.  When can I use the capabilities of the car without speeding?  Entering a highway?  Passing people?  That's about it.  Otherwise, I'm doing something illegal.  If I don't take the car to a track and want to keep speeds to within 15 mph above the speed limit, my diesel VW wagon can handle that.  Why do I need 300+ horsepower to do that?  I don't. 

That's my personal opinion.  If you feel differently, that's fine.  Ask yourself, though, when you have fun in your car.  What's your speed?  It's my guess it's much faster than the posted speed limit.  It's your choice.  I've been choosing lower power cars for this reason.

I agree fully.

I have owned an auto and welding shop before I got my engineering degree and have built and driven some very fast cars including an AWD turbo rally car and a 3/4 ton pickup with a blown 496 Chevy big block V8.

While fun, it's only so much fun on public roads and the fact is going fast costs a ton of extra cash. The idea of a $50-100k road car that you take to the track on weekends is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of unless you have so much money it just doesn't matter and even then it's stupid because you could afford a real race car.

My opinion is decide how much extra you want to pay for performance and luxury for your road car and be honest about how much extra you're spending on a toy. If you want to go fast buy a second car to take to the track, it doesn't have to be super expensive either.

Personally, after owning and building custom 4x4s, awd turbo cars, etc. I'm through spending the money and time to work on them for a car I'm driving on public roads. My '14 WRX hatch is costing me about $7k more than a base Impreza and that's as far as I'm willing to go. With some simple mods it does 0-60 in the low 4 second range, this is plenty fast. Faster and more luxurious does NOTHING for me at this point in my life. You get used to how much power your car makes and you always want more, always spend more, are never satisfied with what you have. Rather than spending money on a car you'll never be able to push to the limits on the street responsibly, maybe just learn to be happy with what you've got because you can always spend more and you can always make more power. If you're really into it get into racing cars instead of spending money on your street car. IMHO, FWIW, etc ..

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #47 on: 2 Apr 2016, 04:42 pm »
Roger that.  :thumb:
I've seen three pretty neat cars in your driveway, in almost as many days.
All with one common trait..... They have no tops.

A couple things to epoxy, throw something in the vacuum bagger, and spray a coat of primer on some parts.  Then I won't feel so bad about spending the weekend scrubbing off rubber, gotta let everything dry afterall. 

I've been doing my best to convince Trev he needs a convertible, it's a life changing thing.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #48 on: 2 Apr 2016, 04:49 pm »
Faster and more luxurious does NOTHING for me at this point in my life. You get used to how much power your XXXXX makes and you always want more, always spend more, are never satisfied with what you have. Rather than spending money on a XXXXX you'll never be able to push to the limits on the street responsibly, maybe just learn to be happy with what you've got because you can always spend more and you can always make more power.
You talking about cars, or audio equipment?  :lol:

I've been doing my best to convince Trev he needs a convertible, it's a life changing thing.
You're a bad influence on my son.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #49 on: 2 Apr 2016, 04:55 pm »
You talking about cars, or audio equipment?  :lol:

Audio is a little safer, limits can be pushed without the risk of vehicular homicide.  :wink:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #50 on: 2 Apr 2016, 05:12 pm »
Yes, but there's still "death by capacitor".  :lol:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #51 on: 2 Apr 2016, 05:33 pm »
Yes, but there's still "death by capacitor".  :lol:

So true... I better knock on wood! With my luck I'll electrocute myself right after saying that!  :green:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #52 on: 2 Apr 2016, 05:38 pm »
 :lol: One hand behind your back.  :wink: