Just ordered a pair of Super Alnico Monitors

Bigtom

Just ordered a pair of Super Alnico Monitors
« on: 1 Mar 2016, 08:21 pm »
I finallly ordereda a pair of Super Alnico Monitors in ebony veneer. Now the waiting begins.

MarkR7

Re: Just ordered a pair of Super Alnico Monitors
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2016, 08:35 pm »
Congrats, and welcome to the family!! You won't be disappointed!

seikosha

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2016, 08:37 pm »
Congrats.  I just received my SAM's last week.  I've owned the Super 3xrs for a few years now and just loved them.  I honestly wondered if the Alnicos could make me happier.  I think they will, they are wonderful speakers.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2016, 10:04 pm »
Welcome to the Omega AudioCircle Bigtom, and congratulations on a great choice.  :thumb:

SSM

• formerly 'conrad-Jin'
« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2016, 12:39 pm »
Get the partnering equipment right and the Alnico Monitors will sing and sing! :)

Congratulations. :D

SS

Bigtom

« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2016, 07:44 pm »
Get the partnering equipment right and the Alnico Monitors will sing and sing! :)

I think I will have a great system once I get the Omega's home, my system consists of a Finale Audio F7189 integrated and a Schiit audio Gungnir dac the non gigabit version, using a Sonos connect to stream to and I have a Marantz CD 6005 cd player, with some good cables from Unity audio and Take five audio

SSM

• formerly 'conrad-Jin'
« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2016, 04:26 am »
wow, a Finale amp! :icon_surprised:
This company makes nice-looking amps with clean minimalist looks, as does sister company Triode Lab. Their design specs are impressive. I am seriously considering the power amps from both of them.

Hope to read a bit about how your Finale F7189 and Super Alnicos get along together. Till then, happy waiting! :thumb:

SS

jcake5

« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2016, 01:52 pm »
Hi Guys,

I too am waiting for my first Omegas to arrive in a few weeks.  Super 3XRS with an extra RS5 up front in a 1.5 way to compensate for baffle step in zebra wood veneer.  I use a Cambridge Azur 640 V2 and a CD player that uses a PCM1791A DAC a very very old not fancy turntable that meets my needs.  The Omegas are replacing my own design open baffle two way that uses a Seas woofer and North D25 tweeter.

I cannot wait.

Kind regards,
Eric

milford3

« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2016, 02:20 pm »
Send pics when they arrive.  Welcome to the Omega family.

Bayreuth

« Reply #9 on: 4 Mar 2016, 03:32 pm »
I also ordered the Super Alnico Monitors in Ebony wood veneer with the addition of R compound in the cabinets.  I'm planning to use these with 300B single ended triode monoblock amplifiers.
« Last Edit: 5 Mar 2016, 07:13 pm by Bayreuth »

MarkR7

« Reply #10 on: 4 Mar 2016, 04:50 pm »
I also ordered the Super Alnico Monitors in Ebony wood veneer with the addition of R compound in the cabinets.  I'm planning to use these with 300B single ended triode monoblock amplifiers.  I should be receiving the speakers later this month.

.....And a "welcome the family" to you too Bay!  So, I'm curious, what is the 300b amp that you will be using?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 4 Mar 2016, 08:33 pm »
Welcome to the club jcake5 and Bayreuth!  :thumb:

Bigtom

« Reply #12 on: 4 Mar 2016, 10:18 pm »
Looks like i am not the only person waiting patiently.

Welcome all !!!

Bayreuth

« Reply #13 on: 5 Mar 2016, 02:03 am »
.....And a "welcome the family" to you too Bay!  So, I'm curious, what is the 300b amp that you will be using?

I'm using Manley Neo-Classic 300B amplifiers
« Last Edit: 5 Mar 2016, 07:12 pm by Bayreuth »

vinagunner

« Reply #14 on: 5 Mar 2016, 09:30 pm »
v
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2016, 03:26 am by vinagunner »

roscoe65

« Reply #15 on: 6 Mar 2016, 12:28 am »
Nice to see someone use proper gear with Omega. I'm getting bored with all the "how cheap can I do it/good enough" mentality. :P

There are a number of us using "proper gear" with Omega's.  Given the comparatively low price of all Omega speakers, they are a natural match with budget equipment for listeners just getting into high end sound.  They will also allow other components to be upgraded along with way without being a bottleneck.  We should encourage high value components with these speakers, as they get more people into the hobby and help keep Louis in business.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #16 on: 6 Mar 2016, 12:37 am »
There are a number of us using "proper gear" with Omega's.  Given the comparatively low price of all Omega speakers, they are a natural match with budget equipment for listeners just getting into high end sound.  They will also allow other components to be upgraded along with way without being a bottleneck.  We should encourage high value components with these speakers, as they get more people into the hobby and help keep Louis in business.

Nice post!   :beer:

vinagunner

« Reply #17 on: 6 Mar 2016, 09:01 am »
Double post.

vinagunner

« Reply #18 on: 6 Mar 2016, 09:53 am »
v
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2016, 03:26 am by vinagunner »

roscoe65

« Reply #19 on: 6 Mar 2016, 12:53 pm »
I understand, and agree that I would like to see more exotic gear with Omega speakers.

I currently have two Omega rigs:

1.  Super 3 wide baffle (RS5), Inspire KT88 HO amp, Inspire LP 27a line stage, Schiit Bifrost Multibit.  DIY Swarm subwoofers in production (Crown Xls 1500 + 4x Peerless SLS sealed subwoofers, sort of a nicer version of bucket sub).  Signal is fed through Airplay via SPDIF from Airport Express.

2.  Super Alnico Monitor, Custom 421A SE amp based on Fi 421a circuit using Hashimoto outputs), DB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC, USB from tweaked Mac Mini.  Vintage Kenwood system can be switched in (KA-7100, KT-7500, KD-550) and I can use the tape monitoring signal to directly feed the 421a amp (the amp has high gain with a 6SL7 and a built-in volume pot).

Cables are a combination of Zenwave interconnects, a couple of very old (>20 years) custom Discovery cables, 14ga Western Electric speaker cables and Belden 9497 speaker cables.  Stands are Lovan Jazz 18", Isoacoustics, and Skylan stands.

I have a couple of projects in the works:  I have a pair of Alnico magnet Goodmans 212 Triaxioms that sound great just sitting on the floor with no box.  I would like to use them in a factory spec (4.5 cu ft with aperiodic vent) enclosure - the bass is alleged to be prodigious.  I anticipate this to be a $1,000 plus project.  I would then move the swarm to the room with the Super Alnico's.  I would also like to get up to the level of having a statement DAC, preferably one with high (>3v) output so I can stop obsessing about that.  My speaker cables could get better, but the length of cables makes it an expensive proposition.  Finally, I want to get a full Roon integration among three systems:  listening room, living room, and living room HT.
« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2016, 10:16 pm by roscoe65 »