SST2 owners - Do you plan on upgrading your amps to the new Cubed series?

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
I am just trying to get a sense of how many of you plan on either upgrading your amps or selling and replacing.

My 28BSST2's sound so good, I am not sure that I need to do anything. Sure, I feel a little compulsion to upgrade, but it's really not necessary.

What to do......

audio.bill

Hey Joe - This is a bit off topic, but I'm curious to know how your new Nord nCore monos are sounding. How would you compare them to the 28Bs, although I realize they're in a different price category. Back on topic regarding the potential upgrade of your 28Bs to the Cubed version, as I'm sure you realize Bryston wouldn't come out with a change like this unless there is a significant gain in performance. They're not like some other companies that come out with continuous 'upgrades' sometimes of questionable value. Even though you're so impressed with the 28Bs there's always room for further improvements as they advance their technology. TIA, and happy listening Joe!

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
Thanks for the response and yes, that's my thinking too. But my one concern is that the 28's can not be upgraded 100%. The transformers will not be replaced with the new ones and I suspect, performance will not be identical to the Cubed amps. That kind of stinks, but what can I do.

The Nord Ncore amps are pretty amazing. They will have been running 2 weeks straight this coming Monday 2-22-16. They were pretty great out of the box but, for my taste, the treble/highs had a bit of a bite. Now, very smooth and sweet. Very powerful and they are dead quiet, so quiet it's wonderful. Details come out of nowhere. I listen a lot late at night and at low volume, they are clear and clean. For the roughly $2300 delivered, a bargain. I like them better than the Devialet that I had. They have more tone/density/body. Just wonderful.

audio.bill

Thanks for the update Joe, and great point about the upgrade path for the 28B amps. I think you'd be better served in the long run especially regarding resale value, by selling your 28Bs and then buying the new Cubed amps if that's what you really want. Partial upgrades are usually not very well received by potential buyers when the time comes to resell them.

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
I agree.

RandyH

I'm going to let others test the waters first and I will rely on their reports to influence my opinion to upgrade. If reviews are consistently positive and observations about the improvements in sound seem to match the kinds of things I would like to hear then I will probably do the upgrade. 
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2016, 01:49 am by RandyH »

Robert D

Sorry to break the News
From what I  have herd from the Owner of Bryston
It seems that there are to many parts to be Changed

From an engineering point of view .... Does not seem to be feasible
I own 2 x 4bsst2's I would have liked to have them up graded to sst3's

I'm very Happy with my 4Bsst's2

Maybe James Can spread some light
I was disappointed to hear the News but bottom line ... The SST2'S  are simply amazing  :thumb:

Best Regards Robert

Rod_S

This is a new development then as James had already confirmed the parts that would and would not be updated.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Hi Folks,

Yes we will be offering upgrades once we figure out exactly what changes we can make.

So far it looks like we will be able to replace the complete input stage (which is what we got the Patent on). The softstart power board and some small circuit changes.

james

1ZIP

I am just trying to get a sense of how many of you plan on either upgrading your amps or selling and replacing.

My 28BSST2's sound so good, I am not sure that I need to do anything. Sure, I feel a little compulsion to upgrade, but it's really not necessary.

What to do......

The SST2's sound very, very nice.  My ear and wallet would have to be convinced that the sonic improvements were enough to justify the added expense.  There is, for many, a point of diminishing returns.  Having the newest and greatest is nice but with the 12% price increase the wallet will out vote the ear.

G E

I, too, acquired a pair of 28bsst2,s in the past 6-7 months.

No plans to upgrade to the Cube.

I have a synergistic system that absolutely delights me.  Last month I upgraded from a Grado Reference Sonata to the Reference Master. That will hold me for the foreseeable future.

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
What preamp are you using?

I absolutely love the 28BSST2 amps, but I guess the "audiophile" in me wants the latest.

I, too, acquired a pair of 28bsst2,s in the past 6-7 months.

No plans to upgrade to the Cube.

I have a synergistic system that absolutely delights me.  Last month I upgraded from a Grado Reference Sonata to the Reference Master. That will hold me for the foreseeable future.

larevoj

With these feedback its down to how much to justify the upgrade.  :thumb:

•    More spacious and airy
•    The high end frequencies are more softer
•    Better image
•    More depth
•    A low bass even stronger and faster

G E

What preamp are you using?

I absolutely love the 28BSST2 amps, but I guess the "audiophile" in me wants the latest.

Bel Canto Pre 6 which provides high quality analog inputs for music *and* surround channels.

Absolutely no digital or video processing or switching.

Not many digital sources have analog outs these days.

Phono preamp is Hagerman Cornet2 that I built and tubed with NOS amperex bugle boys and Bendix 6106 rectifier. The Bendix tubes were part of missile guidance systems from the 1950's. Nice to be able to repurpose them for peaceful purposes.

I also have ancient RCAs but they don't sound as fast as the amperex. Still fun to pop them in for a change once in a while.

Watched The third Christopher Nolan Batman movie tonight and The 28s were in complete control.

I understand the quest for better.  The balance I have now combines speed, macro/micro dynamics and voicing.  Things really fell into place with the addition of the 28s and the new Grado.  Don't want to disturb a good thing. 

And I do wonder sometimes what all tube amplification would sound like. Tubes are rewarding but ultimately a pain in the @55. I have been reminded once or twice by a hissing tube.

G E

I kinda wonder if the Cube sweet spot is the 4 and 7?

When I ran my 4bsst2 I felt it was a bit dryer than ideal *in my system* which is highly resolving and neutral.

It would be instructive to hear the Cubes and the 2's in a shoot out.

Grit

• - Garrett
If/when they offer an upgrade path for the 4B-SST2 *AND* the 6B-SST2, I'll upgrade both.

I can't afford to replace both, and I KNOW I can't tolerate any difference between L/R (4B-SST2) and C (6B-SST2).

/FingersCrossed !

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
Yes!

That is exactly my thinking and why I've listed mine for sale. If they don't sell, I upgrade. But I'd love to have the new, full blown 28 Cubed amps and go quietly into the night and live happily ever after.  :D

With these feedback its down to how much to justify the upgrade.  :thumb:

•    More spacious and airy
•    The high end frequencies are more softer
•    Better image
•    More depth
•    A low bass even stronger and faster

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
Thank you for your thoughts.

I am weening myself off of tubes. My system is on way too much to deal with the hassle of tubes.

Sometimes a tube preamp as a sweetener is a great alternative, but overall, I can not believe how great the 28BSST2's actually sound. They just don't get the respect they honestly deserve.

If James and the gang were able to truly improve the sound of their line, holy cr@p! they will be outstanding.

You can have all those boutique amps and uber expensive gear. The 28's are amazing. I am excited by the thought of the new Cubed gear.

Go Bryston!

Bel Canto Pre 6 which provides high quality analog inputs for music *and* surround channels.

EDIT ......

I understand the quest for better.  The balance I have now combines speed, macro/micro dynamics and voicing.  Things really fell into place with the addition of the 28s and the new Grado.  Don't want to disturb a good thing. 

And I do wonder sometimes what all tube amplification would sound like. Tubes are rewarding but ultimately a pain in the @55. I have been reminded once or twice by a hissing tube.

srb

You can have all those boutique amps and uber expensive gear. The 28's are amazing.
Many would consider a US$19,200 stereo power amplifier uber-expensive gear.  ;) :scratch:
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2016, 03:46 pm by srb »

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Many would consider a US$19,200 stereo power amplifer uber-expensive gear.  ;) :scratch:

Yah not all lot of people can just drop $20k on a pair of mono blocks, but thats really not much if you look at what else is out there.  My first thought after reading this was about a review that another Bryston engineer pointed out to me (the same guy working on the 28B3), it was a thousand watt mono block, had higher (worse) THD+N figures and retailed for around $50k. My second thought goes back to a show that a attended and one of the exhibits was a work of a someone who a knew and respected from the industry.  In his setup he used mono blocks and the two things I remember was the official $100k (each) price tag and how disappointed he was with the end result (not that it was the amps necessarily).