DAC Comments in $1-2,000 Range

datahut

DAC Comments in $1-2,000 Range
« on: 25 Jan 2016, 03:45 am »
I'm new to the technology and offerings.  Tested the water buying a Musical Fidelity V90 ($300) to stream music files and Sirius radio from
PC to Presonus computer monitors.  But, to port to my Naim pre-amp/amp based system looking for suggestions, comments on
something in the $1-2,000 price range as a next step up.  Thanks!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: DAC Comments in $1-2,000 Range
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2016, 04:34 am »
Hi. I've been researching DACs recently and have pretty much narrowed my list down to three models. They may or may not suit your needs, but go ahead and take a look at them. I guess my budget limit was $2k, but I really wanted to stay below $1500.

Nuprime DAC-10         $1495.......DAC-10H (headphone amp included) $1795
Schiit Gungir Multibit   $1249
Gustard X20               $866

It seems to me all three models use the Sabre ESS9018 chip. The major difference is the DAC-10 has just one while the other two models utilize two of the chips. There must be differences in how each company optimizes their DAC as well. I have yet to actually place any of these in my system, but I will rectify that upon my return to the States. [I'm in Taiwan currently.]

In my research, I have not found any reviews of all three by the same person, so it is very difficult to determine which is the best DAC for me without auditioning them. Nonetheless, here's what swims around in my head:

I like Nuprime products. They give a lot of bang for my buck. The DAC-10 has two optical inputs and a pair of analog inputs. The other two have a single optical input and no analog inputs. I keep reading that DACs with two chips sound better than one. Schiit has a stellar reputation and many reviews can be found. The Gustard is made by a Chinese company. I believe there is no US distributor, so one must order from overseas(?). Shipping might be over a $100, but check for yourself. You can read up on the Gustard on Head-fi.org. Here's the thread:   http://www.head-fi.org/t/780385/gustard-x20-dac

Certainly, there are many others to choose from. Good luck with your search and have fun along the way.

Michael

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2016, 04:56 am »
When you reference inputs do you mean coaxial and optical SPDIF inputs? A DAC doesn't have analog inputs.

Hi. I've been researching DACs recently and have pretty much narrowed my list down to three models. They may or may not suit your needs, but go ahead and take a look at them. I guess my budget limit was $2k, but I really wanted to stay below $1500.

It seems to me all three models use the Sabre ESS9018 chip. The major difference is the DAC-10 has just one while the other two models utilize two of the chips. There must be differences in how each company optimizes their DAC as well. I have yet to actually place any of these in my system, but I will rectify that upon my return to the States. [I'm in Taiwan currently.]

In my research, I have not found any reviews of all three by the same person, so it is very difficult to determine which is the best DAC for me without auditioning them. Nonetheless, here's what swims around in my head:

I like Nuprime products. They give a lot of bang for my buck. The DAC-10 has two optical inputs and a pair of analog inputs. The other two have a single optical input and no analog inputs. I keep reading that DACs with two chips sound better than one. Schiit has a stellar reputation and many reviews can be found. The Gustard is made by a Chinese company. I believe there is no US distributor, so one must order from overseas(?). Shipping might be over a $100, but check for yourself. You can read up on the Gustard on Head-fi.org. Here's the thread:   http://www.head-fi.org/t/780385/gustard-x20-dac

Certainly, there are many others to choose from. Good luck with your search and have fun along the way.

Michael

vonnie123

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2016, 05:18 am »
I've had a Wyred4Sound DAC-2 for about four years.  Middle of last year I sent it in and they upgraded the clock to a femto based clock.  I am very happy with the DAC and it's flexibility.  Lots of inputs to choose from.   Give Wyred4Sound a look.  Lots of reviews out there on them. 

Edit:  HT bypass analog inputs only.  Useable as a digital preamp.  Remote.

inputs:  I2s, AES/EBU, 2 digital coax, 2 digital toslink, USB
outputs:  XLR and RCA
« Last Edit: 2 Feb 2016, 06:40 pm by vonnie123 »

mresseguie

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2016, 05:32 am »
When you reference inputs do you mean coaxial and optical SPDIF inputs? A DAC doesn't have analog inputs.

Hi. Hmm. Well, I used the words that John Casler used in an email to me recently. Lemme check that email...."That said, the immediate thing that sticks out is that the two DACs still in the running have no analog input capability, so for some that would take them out.  They are DAC only."

Take a look at the backside of the DAC-10 photo on the Nuprime website.

http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/index.php/products/dacs-and-headphone-amps/home-audio-dacs/dac-10h.html

"Unique dual gain settings for RCA with 2V or 4V outputs, XLR with 4V or 8V outputs; and each of the balanced and unbalanced headphone outputs with four different high power output settings."

Michael

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2016, 06:09 am »
My vote goes for the Chord 2Qute which is basically the Hugo Chord without the headphone amp.  Very analog sounding, musical and smooth.  It is not sabre based and it sounds great.

http://www.whathifi.com/chord/2qute/review

http://shop.sightandsoundgallery.com/Chord-2Qute-USB-p/38EE-CHO2QUTE.htm?gclid=CjwKEAiAiZK1BRD509nPsYiUk2YSJAAMoAwCGQqVt4RGMBbxIYP6GdCmyt0v1ctdTuiJZKOEMg4_bhoCBa7w_wcB

Whoops, just saw that you need analog inputs,  skip the Chord

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2016, 01:04 pm »
I've been in these waters a lot in the past year, but still don't know much.  Anyway here's my 2 cents:

DAC technology has been changing quickly for years.  Almost anything that was released 3 or 4 years ago is pretty much obsolete now.  This year's darling will probably be hard to give away in a couple of years, so invest carefully.  Frankly that is one of the huge attractions for me to Schiit DACs.  Their BiFrost, Gungnir, and Yggdrasil models are all upgradeable (the BiFrost has had 5 upgrades since introduction that I can recall) and they've done a good job of not requiring you to buy each one to still remain upgradeable.

Check out Stereophile latest list (2015) of recommended components, Audiostream.com (their desktop sister site) to get a start, and Computer Audiophile (some of our own Audio Circle members contribute there).  All these sites offer better than average reviews (readable/useful).  Sorting through reviews is tough.  Except for the Auralec Vega, few reviewers have sampled the same DAC.  I try finding a reviewer I can relate to (similar tastes/gear or that doesn't get wound up in excessive language - thinking 6moons).  Most reviewers use 3,000 syllables when 100 would get to the same point IMO.

Many of the DACs in this price range are bundled with preamp, headphone amp, etc., (like the NuPrime DAC-10) primarily to address the desktop market.  Bundling saves money initially if you need those other components but inevitably one component will be the limiting factor and you can give up a degree of flexibility so make sure preamp/whatever component can function as a stand alone when you're ready to move on.  For instance most built-in preamps have only one or zero analog inputs.

The Auralic Vega has been a very successful DAC, reigning as a recognized top performer for a couple of years now, but unfortunately is beyond your stated price range at $3500 MSRP.  However it can be used as a standard to measure somewhat lower priced pieces against.

The chip is the heart of a DAC but hardly the whole story.  The Sabre chips have been very popular in this price range but viable options do exist.  For instance Schiit uses 5 different chips in their top 3 DAC models and the Chord DACs use their own FPGA chips.  How the DAC is natively wired (balanced or single ended) makes a difference too.  Many offer both outputs but using balanced is of no advantage in some or using single ended may degrade the performance in others.  Output circuitry, digital filters, etc. can all make a difference as well.

For a DAC only I'd buy $600 Schiit BiFrost Multi-Bit if your Naim gear is have singled ended (RCA) or $1250 Schiit Gungnir Multi-Bit if you have native balanced (XLR) gear.  Their Multi-Bit technology moves from typical delta-sigma (easy to design with) technology back to R2R technology (that top end gear uses today and way back near the beginning of digital).  They use good digital filtering.  Their stuff is made in America, designed by guys who have known their stuff for decades.  And of course it's upgradeable.
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2016, 03:57 pm by JLM »

mav52

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jan 2016, 02:25 pm »
Teac UD501 - You can find these used for $800
Metrum Acoustic Musette $1400
Mytek Stereo DSD DAC $1600
Ayre Codex $1800
Mytek Brooklyn $1995

Brad

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2016, 05:09 pm »
Teac UD501 - You can find these used for $800
Metrum Acoustic Musette $1400
Mytek Stereo DSD DAC $1600
Ayre Codex $1800
Mytek Brooklyn $1995

There's a newer Teac UD503 under $1k that is supposed to be a nice step up from the 501.

Brad

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jan 2016, 05:10 pm »
Also, there is now a US importer for the Gustard X20.  You can find them on Amazon.

orientalexpress

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jan 2016, 05:27 pm »
I'm been a Gustard fan since X10 been out,i been listening to the X20 since Xmas ,I'm very impress with them. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

mav52

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jan 2016, 05:33 pm »
There's a newer Teac UD503 under $1k that is supposed to be a nice step up from the 501.

And it shares the same DAC chip that Bryston uses in the BCD-3

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jan 2016, 06:42 pm »
And it shares the same DAC chip that Bryston uses in the BCD-3

Yes it does and I'll probably sell my 501 soon and get it (the 503) for my secondary system.  The 501 is an excellent DAC to buy used.

JackD

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jan 2016, 04:24 am »
The AK 4490 chip is also used in the new Nuprime DAC-9

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #15 on: 26 Jan 2016, 05:13 am »
My vote goes for the Chord 2Qute which is basically the Hugo Chord without the headphone amp.  Very analog sounding, musical and smooth.  It is not sabre based and it sounds great.

http://www.whathifi.com/chord/2qute/review

http://shop.sightandsoundgallery.com/Chord-2Qute-USB-p/38EE-CHO2QUTE.htm?gclid=CjwKEAiAiZK1BRD509nPsYiUk2YSJAAMoAwCGQqVt4RGMBbxIYP6GdCmyt0v1ctdTuiJZKOEMg4_bhoCBa7w_wcB

+1 I'd also vote for the 2qute. Don't be fooled by the name or packing - this is a seriously good dac with an incredible amount of design behind it, not just a run of the mill off the shelf parts assemblage like many dacs.

srb

« Reply #16 on: 26 Jan 2016, 05:42 am »
And it [Teac UD-503] shares the same DAC chip that Bryston uses in the BCD-3

The AK 4490 chip is also used in the new Nuprime DAC-9

The AKM AK4490 chip is also used in eBay $70 Chinese USB DACs.  The AK4490 is a $2.50 / $5.00 chip (qty. 1000 / single), but as everyone knows the total circuit design, analog output stage, power supply and ancillary parts quality are what combine to make a good, average (or even bad) component DAC all using the same chip.

Steve

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
« Reply #17 on: 26 Jan 2016, 06:01 am »

It seems to me all three models use the Sabre ESS9018 chip.

Michael

The Gungnir Multibit does not use the ESS 9018 which is a delta sigma chip.  It uses chips produced by Analog Devices and is a r2r ladder dac.  It is a very good dac that's difficult to beat in its price range.  You can read up on the Gungnir MB on Headfi.org as well.  Some on Headfi have suggested that the sound quality of the $600 Bifrost multibit is close to the Gungnir.  I can't speak to that but I can tell you that the Gungnir is a very natural sounding dac, with great bass.  It is very resolving yet not bright or etchy (not digital sounding).  I listen to mine for hours every day with out fatigue.  Needless to say, I'm a very satisfied customer.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/603219/schiit-gungnir-dac/3210

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #18 on: 26 Jan 2016, 06:14 am »
+1 I'd also vote for the 2qute. Don't be fooled by the name or packing - this is a seriously good dac with an incredible amount of design behind it, not just a run of the mill off the shelf parts assemblage like many dacs.

The Chord DAC's don't sound like the typical sabre based dacs.  Some say the the 2Qute sounds better than the hugo.  The Hugo clearly out classed a Wyred 4 sound dsdse with the femto clock upgrade in my system and a friends that owned both.  He ended up keeping the Hugo.

SRB hit the nail on the head in his post.  The chip does not matter, it is more of how it is implemented.  Many DAC's sound similar and many sound completely different.   I went through a Marantz 11s1 ( excellent texture in Piano and vocals, probably the best I have heard but too much bass and forward sound in my system otherwise I would have loved to keep it), Cary 200ts, and auditioned the Exogal Comet (which was the most transparent, 3d and holographic sound that I have heard), Hugo Chord ( slightly,warm, musical and very analog), Auralic Vega (bright and thin sounding) and PSA DSD before settling in with a Luxman DA-06.  My favorites were the Lux, Hugo and PS Audio DSD. 

The 2Qute is a steal at its price and it occasionally shows up on Audigon for a great price.

mresseguie

« Reply #19 on: 26 Jan 2016, 09:03 am »
Sorry about that misinformation concerning the Gungnir. I pulled that from my faulty memory. Why can't I just buy a new brain after 50+ years?

Thank you for catching that.