DAC Comments in $1-2,000 Range

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
Re: DAC Comments in $1-2,000 Range
« Reply #20 on: 26 Jan 2016, 12:25 pm »
Sorry about that misinformation concerning the Gungnir. I pulled that from my faulty memory. Why can't I just buy a new brain after 50+ years?

Thank you for catching that.

At our age, we need all the help we can get.

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
« Reply #21 on: 26 Jan 2016, 12:34 pm »
You can read a review of the Gungnir multibit at Digital Audio Review here.

Tubeburner

« Reply #22 on: 26 Jan 2016, 01:04 pm »
Exogal Comet Plus used and never go back to a regular dac. Nothing better at $2000 or under. Worth full price any day.

ACHiPo

« Reply #23 on: 26 Jan 2016, 10:42 pm »
Exogal Comet Plus used and never go back to a regular dac. Nothing better at $2000 or under. Worth full price any day.
Funny I was just going to ask if anyone's compared an Exogal to an Aries Vega, as they are comparatively priced (with the Exogal power supply), and both get glowing reviews AND they both do DSD!

Of course I'm wondering whether I'll hear much difference compared to my Oppo 105, which actually sounds pretty darned good.

ebag4

« Reply #24 on: 26 Jan 2016, 11:45 pm »
Funny I was just going to ask if anyone's compared an Exogal to an Aries Vega, as they are comparatively priced (with the Exogal power supply), and both get glowing reviews AND they both do DSD!

Of course I'm wondering whether I'll hear much difference compared to my Oppo 105, which actually sounds pretty darned good.
I didn't have them here at the same time but IMHO there is no comparison between the sound of the 105 and the Vega.  I didn't think the 105 sounded as good as my LH Labs Geek DAC which is what I was using at the time, so I returned the 105.  The Auralic was/is simply the best DAC I have heard by a significant margin.

BTW, I love my Oppo 103 in my HT system.

YMMV.
Best,
Ed

OzarkTom

« Reply #25 on: 27 Jan 2016, 12:58 am »
The SOny HAP-Z1ES music server has had me spoiled for the last 12 months. Several of the audio reviewers also owns one of these. These retail for $2k, but there is a new one on Audiogon for $1350 with free shipping. If I had a second system, this would be mine. :thumb:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/media-servers-sony-hap-z1es-media-server-2016-01-17-computer-audio-14226-amherst-ny

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #26 on: 27 Jan 2016, 05:43 pm »

I did a review for Exogal on the Comet Plus with one of the prototypes.  It is an excellent DAC.  It has a very holographic 3d sound, almost like surround sound as one of my friends commented about it.  It has extreme air and transparency, excellent detail and very deep and wide sound stage.   I also heard it at Axpona with Atma-Sphere gear and Audio Kenesis  Zephrin speakers and it sounded awesome. 

ACHiPo

« Reply #27 on: 27 Jan 2016, 09:52 pm »
I did a review for Exogal on the Comet Plus with one of the prototypes.  It is an excellent DAC.  It has a very holographic 3d sound, almost like surround sound as one of my friends commented about it.  It has extreme air and transparency, excellent detail and very deep and wide sound stage.   I also heard it at Axpona with Atma-Sphere gear and Audio Kenesis  Zephrin speakers and it sounded awesome.
Given my set up of AtmaSphere amps you have my attention, not to mention me being a big fan of Duke's work  :wink:

Can you comment on how it compares to the Vega?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #28 on: 27 Jan 2016, 10:05 pm »
Peachtree or Schitt. Chord as well.

charles

AKLegal

« Reply #29 on: 27 Jan 2016, 10:44 pm »
Schitt multibit Gungnir - probably the best dac under $2000.  If you can swing it get the Yggdrasil though.

ACHiPo

« Reply #30 on: 27 Jan 2016, 11:04 pm »
Schitt multibit Gungnir - probably the best dac under $2000.  If you can swing it get the Yggdrasil though.
I don't think Schiit DACs do DSD?

jseymour

« Reply #31 on: 27 Jan 2016, 11:45 pm »
You are right, Schitt does not support DSD.  They don't have a favorable opinion of it.  For them  is a small niche format with technical drawbacks.  But many of the music players support DoP (DSD over PCM). I have used MusicBee to play DSD files and it automatically/transparently uses DoP to send the data to my Yggdrasil.

wushuliu

« Reply #32 on: 28 Jan 2016, 01:16 am »
The chip does not matter, it is more of how it is implemented. 

Disagree, I think the chips are important and potential buyers should be aware of the general sound signatures of the different types. Sabre do not sound the same as BB, BB does not sound the same as AK. Implementation is crucial but IMO can't make one chip sound more like another chip. It's like with analog photography, Fuji had a certain look vs. Kodak vs. etc, etc. Some stocks were objectively better, but they still had the house 'look'.

*Scotty*

« Reply #33 on: 28 Jan 2016, 02:27 am »
This begs the question, what does the Sabre chipset sound like? The Wired4 Sound DAC doesn't sound like the OPPO 105 which in turn doesn't sound like the Auralic Vega. Which device could be said to be representative of the sound of the Sabre DAC?
Scotty

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #34 on: 28 Jan 2016, 03:38 am »
Given my set up of AtmaSphere amps you have my attention, not to mention me being a big fan of Duke's work  :wink:

Can you comment on how it compares to the Vega?

I got to hear a Vega in a $100K system with VTL 450wpc tube mono block amps and Rockport speakers.  I brought my old AVA hybrid tube DAC to compare to it in that system.  The Vega sounded bright and thin with just a little more detail than my old AVA DAC.  I was not impressed as it did not seem like a big step up from the AVA DAC.  I would have liked to hear it in my system though.  I did hear the Vega at Axpona and it sounded a little better but I was not blown away.  I much prefer the PSA DSD DAC which has some similarities to the Comet. 

I had the Comet in my system ( Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Magnepan 1.6 speakers) and heard it at Axpona.  I had a friend with me and we both thought that the AK, Atma-Sphere, Comet room was one of the better sounding rooms at Axpona along with the Bricasti-Tidal Room and Vinni Rossi-Harbeth room.  By the way, I am familiar with Atma Sphere gear as I almost bought the MP-3 preamp before settling for the BAT.

The Comet certainly has a totally transparent, huge, deep, tall enveloping sound and sound stage with excellent detail and resolution.  There was excellent spacing between instruments.  It has just a hint of lower midrange or upper bass bloom (just right IMO).  Pacing was excellent and the sound was not too forward or pushed back.  It was very neutral.  I considered buying it but I wanted a little warmer sound because my listening area is all windows and wood floors so I went with the Luxman.  The Vega's sound is not as 3D or holographic as the Comet and the Comet sounded more natural and musical.

jhm731

« Reply #35 on: 28 Jan 2016, 03:58 am »

datahut

« Reply #36 on: 28 Jan 2016, 10:19 pm »
Wow, I'm thoroughly impressed by the response to my orginal post.  There's a bit to sift through, but I think it's managable. Half the fun is figuring out what to buy, but eventually have to make a decision and get to the real pleasure of listening.  Like what's said about the Gungnir, but will give more time to the other posts here.

Also, not knowing a lot about where to go for reviews, I started with Stereophile which gave good reviews on the Benchmark (DAC2 HGC and DAC1 HDR), Cambridge Azur 851D and Mytek 190-DSD.  None of these have shown up in this thread so am wondering if they are too new or the review source is limited in some people's minds.  Either way, are these good choices to consider in folk's opinion or should they be ruled out? 

Thanks for all the input!

johsti

« Reply #37 on: 28 Jan 2016, 10:41 pm »
Well within your budget, a used PS Audio PWD mkII is tough to beat if DSD is not a requirement.  It still holds its own compared to some newer offerings, at least according to this reviewer. 

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/the-darko-dac-index/

karmanfamily

• Restricted
« Reply #38 on: 28 Jan 2016, 10:56 pm »
Without DSD I would go for (in that order):
NAD M51, detail KING and easy to listen to
PS Audio PWD MkI or MkII, detailed, but a little 'digital' sounding
Bryston BDA-1 and BDA-2, Not as detailed as the 2 above, but definitely the most fun to listen to and the most musical

I have owned all 3, would buy any of them again, but for now I am using the M51

OzarkTom

« Reply #39 on: 28 Jan 2016, 11:04 pm »
It seems if a person's budget is unlimited, the Aqua dacs is the way o go.  There are rave reviews from all the reviewers.