Wedge Base Build

Keithh

Re: Wedge Base Build
« Reply #20 on: 28 Dec 2015, 08:57 pm »
After 3 weeks of bad weather that I could not put the final coat of lacquer on, I finally finished the bases. Pictures can't show how
good Rosewood looks with a lacquer finish. Even the black spray painted parts look nice.

Having never heard a servo sub before and posts that seem to quickly want to dump them for 12" drivers, I was wondering if I had made the right decision going
with the 3-8"s. Well I am quite happy with them. They are incredible! Coming from a single 15" Hawthorne Augie per side the Wedge base is a HUGE step up in
performance. The only area the Augie outperforms the 3-8"s is in volume levels. The 3-8"s have a little more depth and impact than the Augies and everything else,
speed, detail, there is no comparison. The output levels of the 3-8"s has not once been an issue during the last 3 weeks of listening. They do have problems if
pushed but that is far louder than I ever listen to music.

These are quite small floor standing speakers and the amount and quality of sound they put out is incredible.
Since these are here to stay, next step is the matching Wedge top.

revg1952

« Reply #21 on: 28 Dec 2015, 09:00 pm »
fantastic build and beautiful finish
RevG

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 28 Dec 2015, 09:01 pm »
Wow, those look great.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #23 on: 28 Dec 2015, 09:44 pm »
Those look amazing! Very nice contrast and design. Could you tell me how tall they are finished?

Thanks,

Greg

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #24 on: 29 Dec 2015, 12:55 am »
Geez, Keith. Those are stunning.  :thumb: I personally prefer the triple eights (based solely on viewing photos) over the 12s, but I hope to actually experience the wedgies at LSAF 2016 before deciding what is best for my situation (and my WAF, of course).

What size is your listening room?
and...
How far are the backs of the triple eights from the front wall/curtains (appears to be 2.5 ft)?

Merry Christmas, indeed!  8)

Edit: I just noticed the chair and round table in the background. That really demonstrates their compact size.

ebag4

« Reply #25 on: 29 Dec 2015, 01:31 am »
Beautiful work, I am anxious to see what you do with the wedgies although the black looks great with the servo bases.

Best,
Ed

londonbarn

« Reply #26 on: 29 Dec 2015, 01:46 am »
Yeah, wow those look great!!!

Phil A

« Reply #27 on: 29 Dec 2015, 02:13 am »
Really wonderful work!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 29 Dec 2015, 03:35 am »
Beautiful! Glad you like them.

Keithh

« Reply #29 on: 29 Dec 2015, 05:28 pm »
What size is your listening room?
and...
How far are the backs of the triple eights from the front wall/curtains (appears to be 2.5 ft)?
The room is about 14x21x8 and your estimate of 2.5 feet is right. At Christmas time my speakers always get moved closer to the
wall and closer together just to be safe with company and kids coming over.

Could you tell me how tall they are finished?
With spikes the bases are 29-3/4" tall and the total height of the speaker is 50-1/2" tall.

I am anxious to see what you do with the wedgies although the black looks great with the servo bases.
I really like the black too and was thinking of just painting them with the same textured paint as the front panel of the base and
putting on a solid Rosewood top.
My original plan was to have the 3" black section matching the base and wrapping the veneer around each wing. Most likely
will veneer it because everyone that has seen it thinks that would look better.

Also waiting until I am finished to decide on what to do with the grooves, painting or leaving as is.

Each day I listen to these I become more impressed.

Captainhemo

« Reply #30 on: 29 Dec 2015, 07:37 pm »
I agree with all lthe comments Keith, they turned out gorgeous, very nicely done :thumb:

Geez, Keith. Those are stunning.  :thumb: I personally prefer the triple eights (based solely on viewing photos) over the 12s, but I hope to actually experience the wedgies at LSAF 2016 before deciding what is best for my situation (and my WAF, of course).

Michael, if you can,  hold off on any decisions until after your visit , there will be some pieces well worth listening to

jay

Keithh

« Reply #31 on: 4 Jan 2016, 04:56 pm »
Christmas is over and tree is gone so I have the room back. At 2-1/2' between the back of the Wedge and the wall, The Wedge is the best speaker
I have ever heard so they could have been left there and I would have been happy. But I keep seeing the 3 or more feet figure, so they were moved out
to 3-1/2' from the wall. I was not expecting how big a change to the sound it would make. They are now at a completely different level!
The biggest change  was a completely 3 dimensional soundstage where the speakers just totally disappear and instruments are placed with pinpoint accuracy.
After the initial shock of incredible soundstage the Wedgies were producing, I then noticed they were putting out quite a bit more output. It not just loudness but also a great deal more weight given to the music. There is much more fullness and body to instruments now. When a piano key is struck you can feel it too as opposed to just hearing it.

My Tortuga preamp shows volume levels with a numerical display and I normally listen to music at about 45. Now the same volume is 38. Also while having no problems with the output levels before they now reach much higher volume levels. The Wedgies with good recordings now are getting pretty close to lifelike.

Experiment with the position of your OB speakers, even though they might sound great now, one foot more from the wall may totally transform them.

To bad the Wedgies are on hold for now, but at least now some lucky people will be getting the NX series.

bdp24

« Reply #32 on: 4 Jan 2016, 05:44 pm »
Yup Keith, the further from the wall behind the speakers the better, which is why a deep room is preferred for OB's and dipoles. I have my panels five to six feet away from that wall, which is even better than three. One thing that must be avoided is positioning the speakers at a distance from the wall such that the wave reflecting off that rear wall meets with the wave from the back of the speaker itself (or the front) in such a way as to cause phase/cancellation effects. Loudspeaker positioning is always a compromise between competing parameters!
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2016, 08:33 pm by bdp24 »

Guy 13

« Reply #33 on: 4 Jan 2016, 05:58 pm »
I agree 100% with bdp24.

Guy 13

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #34 on: 4 Jan 2016, 06:04 pm »
Christmas is over and tree is gone so I have the room back. At 2-1/2' between the back of the Wedge and the wall, The Wedge is the best speaker
I have ever heard so they could have been left there and I would have been happy. But I keep seeing the 3 or more feet figure, so they were moved out
to 3-1/2' from the wall. I was not expecting how big a change to the sound it would make. They are now at a completely different level!
The biggest change  was a completely 3 dimensional soundstage where the speakers just totally disappear and instruments are placed with pinpoint accuracy.
After the initial shock of incredible soundstage the Wedgies were producing, I then noticed they were putting out quite a bit more output. It not just loudness but also a great deal more weight given to the music. There is much more fullness and body to instruments now. When a piano key is struck you can feel it too as opposed to just hearing it.

My Tortuga preamp shows volume levels with a numerical display and I normally listen to music at about 45. Now the same volume is 38. Also while having no problems with the output levels before they now reach much higher volume levels. The Wedgies with good recordings now are getting pretty close to lifelike.

Experiment with the position of your OB speakers, even though they might sound great now, one foot more from the wall may totally transform them.

To bad the Wedgies are on hold for now, but at least now some lucky people will be getting the NX series.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Amazing little speakers, aren't they? Who would've thought such a huge sound could come from such a tiny package and compared to most full range speakers, these really are tiny.

Keep smiling, I know I do every time I listen :green:

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #35 on: 18 Jan 2016, 12:34 am »
Keithh,

Would you mind sharing the dimensions you used for the outrigger portions of your base? I finally got around to bolting on the two tiered rectangular plinth I built for my wedge bass units and I don't like the looks.

Mike

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #36 on: 18 Jan 2016, 03:03 am »
Yup Keith, the further from the wall behind the speakers the better, which is why a deep room is preferred for OB's and dipoles. I have my panels five to six feet away from that wall, which is even better than three. One thing that must be avoided is positioning the speakers at a distance from the wall such that the wave reflecting off that rear wall meets with the wave from the back of the speaker itself (or the front) in such a way as to cause phase/cancellation effects. Loudspeaker positioning is always a compromise between competing parameters!

I've got a question:

If someone cannot pull the speakers/subs three feet into the room (or even less!), and let's say this person placed triangular-shaped objects against the wall directly behind the speakers. The objects are the same height as the subs (and/or speakers) and they're made of the same material as corner bass absorbers. Let's say each side is approx. 2' long X height of the sub.

Would something like this help to cancel out the phase/cancellation effects talked about above?  [The back wave is now split in two and it moves off to the sides (and some is absorbed by the triangle) instead of bouncing off the back wall.]

Thanks, anyone, for your thoughts on this.

Michael

Danny Richie

« Reply #37 on: 18 Jan 2016, 03:11 pm »
I've got a question:

If someone cannot pull the speakers/subs three feet into the room (or even less!), and let's say this person placed triangular-shaped objects against the wall directly behind the speakers. The objects are the same height as the subs (and/or speakers) and they're made of the same material as corner bass absorbers. Let's say each side is approx. 2' long X height of the sub.

Would something like this help to cancel out the phase/cancellation effects talked about above?  [The back wave is now split in two and it moves off to the sides (and some is absorbed by the triangle) instead of bouncing off the back wall.]

Thanks, anyone, for your thoughts on this.

Michael

It would definitely help.

Keithh

« Reply #38 on: 18 Jan 2016, 04:09 pm »
Would you mind sharing the dimensions you used for the outrigger portions of your base?

This is the template used to cut out the base.
The overall dimensions are 14-1/4" deep, 11-1/8" wide at the front and 12-3/4" wide in the back.
Hope you can read everything on the picture. I didn't really have any dimensions at first, I just traced the outline of the Wedge base
on a sheet of plywood and started cutting pieces on the miter saw and screwing them down to the plywood until I liked the shape.
The sides and the center point of the front are recessed about 1/4" in from the Wedge base. There is a 5" or 6" radius in front and the front
legs come out at 30 degrees. The legs are 2-1/4" wide tapering to 1-1/4" at the end. I see one dimension I forgot is where the 30 degree
line intersects with the centerline. It is 10-1/2".

londonbarn

« Reply #39 on: 18 Jan 2016, 05:36 pm »
Damn, those are some nice looking speakers... I will have to think about something like those for me someday...