Andrew Jones / Elac

maty

Re: Andrew Jones / Elac
« Reply #120 on: 7 May 2016, 07:42 am »
[Deleted by maty]

Maybe, the next ELAC Uni-Fi UB5 coaxial speakers. The problem is that you need to wait a while to know their frequency, phase, impedance graphs... and reviews.

-> http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=140079.msg1515795#msg1515795
« Last Edit: 9 May 2016, 12:34 pm by maty »

maty

« Reply #121 on: 7 May 2016, 09:36 am »
[Deleted by maty]
« Last Edit: 9 May 2016, 12:35 pm by maty »

JohnR

« Reply #122 on: 9 May 2016, 10:37 am »
Hi maty, it's hard to understand from your link what exactly you did to your Q100's. I have a pair, but could I suggest that perhaps you start a new thread to discuss mods to it? I wouldn't mind knowing what you did more specifically, but I don't think it belongs in this thread.

maty

« Reply #123 on: 9 May 2016, 12:37 pm »
I cleaned what bothered you.

JohnR

« Reply #124 on: 9 May 2016, 01:09 pm »
Actually what bothered me was the lack of a dedicated thread to discuss the Q100 (and/or mods to it).., Anyway, never mind :)

roscoeiii

« Reply #125 on: 9 May 2016, 01:15 pm »
Really looking forward to trying out the UniFi in my home.

wushuliu

« Reply #126 on: 9 May 2016, 01:42 pm »
[Deleted by maty]

Maybe, the next ELAC Uni-Fi UB5 coaxial speakers. The problem is that you need to wait a while to know their frequency, phase, impedance graphs... and reviews.

-> http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=140079.msg1515795#msg1515795

Thats to a danny richie thread not a new one. Might want to mention that....

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #127 on: 9 May 2016, 03:39 pm »
Didn't know about tapping them, thanks for sharing that bit of knowledge. I'll stick with the measurement mic though and give it a shot soon.

Hell, if you have a measuring mic, why even bother listening to the speakers?  The data should tell you everything you need to know. /sarcasm
« Last Edit: 7 Jun 2016, 02:38 am by Tyson »

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #128 on: 4 Jun 2016, 12:21 am »
Music Direct is selling the Uni-Fi speakers with small 'blemishes' for a nice discount, scroll to the bottom of the linked page:

http://www.musicdirect.com/m-2094-elac.aspx

Best,
Anand.

ddafoe

« Reply #129 on: 3 Jul 2016, 08:01 pm »
I just purchased the ELAC Uni-fi UB5 blemished (i.e. greenish tint on the mid-range driver) from Amazon for $399 and it is amazing!!
I can't believe the sound quality for the $$   :thumb:

wushuliu

« Reply #130 on: 3 Jul 2016, 10:45 pm »
I just purchased the ELAC Uni-fi UB5 blemished (i.e. greenish tint on the mid-range driver) from Amazon for $399 and it is amazing!!
I can't believe the sound quality for the $$   :thumb:

What stands out about them in particular

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #131 on: 4 Jul 2016, 10:52 am »
Heard them ever so briefly at Axpona last April (reportedly the room was crowded the entire weekend).  They had way more bass and mid-bass body than the B6.  But at the Munich show he introduced the active version for $750/pair.  That should be another step up. 

ddafoe

« Reply #132 on: 4 Jul 2016, 03:37 pm »
What stands out about them in particular

I have mine beside my TV up against side and back walls.   So their bass and imaging is not something I can really speak on, although they definitely disappear now even though they are setup horribly.    I find their mid range and highs to be very detailed and natural.   Good recordings just sound so nice I don't want to stop listening.

My 2-channel system uses Pass Labs+SimAudio+Magico S1s and I'm used to hearing what I like to think of as a detailed, refined, and natural sound through them. 
Folks who don't like the Magico sound may disagree... but it is hard to argue the Magico sound isn't at least detailed and very clean.

When I start listening to my favorite recordings through the Elacs (simply driven by a Logitech squeeze box analogue output and a Cambridge Audio Integrated) to me the songs sound similar to what I'm used to hearing in my main system.   The vocals sound and feel very familiar as does the higher frequencies.   

All in all, I was sitting on my couch in front of the TV listening to a something from Blue Coast Music thinking maybe all the money I sunk in my main system wasn't really needed  :o

Yes my big-rig is better, but for $499 MSRP along with a good sounding Integrated it is amazing the amount of big league sound you get from these at literally pennies on the dollar!

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #133 on: 4 Jul 2016, 03:47 pm »
Nice review.

The importance of controlled directivity cannot be emphasized enough in a poor room, like cement walled spaces in Far East Asia  :wink:. It's not about "active" or not "active" per se, it's about proper crossover design, driver design, along with controlled directivity. This is why ELAC's new designs by AJ, Clayton's new designs at Spatial, Tom Danley's Synergy design, Duke LeJeune's work and Earl Geddes' designs excel so much.

I know a good design by WHO designed it not by the drivers, box/cabinet, crossover parts, etc...the devil is in the details.

Just my $.02,

Anand.

aevans

« Reply #134 on: 4 Jul 2016, 07:42 pm »
Finished up a review of the ELAC UB5. Figured you guys might find the measurements interesting.

http://noaudiophile.com/ELAC_UB5/

JeffB

« Reply #135 on: 6 Jul 2016, 01:13 am »
I am curious how closely the response graphs reflect what I hear.
One of the highest peaks is at 2k and while it might only be about 3db above the low spot at 1.3k, I wonder if it is audibly annoying.
The peak at 2k is matched at about 120Hz and 720Hz, but the rest of the response is down about 2db from this.
I am very sensitive to anomalies in the 2k area.
I have heard this speaker and thought it sounded quite good, and excellent for the money.
The bass and lower mid-range seemed to me the best part of this speaker.
I just wasn't positive about that area around 2k.  I needed to hear different test tracks.
Most test tracks seem to avoid playing anything with a lot of energy in this area or they do the opposite and play horns with no energy anywhere else.
If just once someone would use some heavy metal you could figure it out rather quickly.  Everyone says it isn't recorded well, and I just don't buy it.  It all sounds amazing in my car.
I am surprised by the bass roll-off shown in the graphs.  I would not have guessed that given what I heard.
I also worry about distortion that seems inherit in coaxial designs.
I would have been happier with a non-coax design, without the grill over the tweeter being mandatory, and with a larger woofer.
I don't really get the point of a 3-way with a 5.25 inch woofer.
I really wonder though just how low the mains should go if one is going to employ sub-woofers anyway.
That dip and 1.3k followed by a rise to 2k seems like an extremely common pattern that I have seen in speakers.
I wonder if it is related to the baffle width.
I did like the unifi-b5 much better than the original b5.
The amp used was something like $3k though.

aevans

« Reply #136 on: 6 Jul 2016, 02:49 am »
That dip and 1.3k followed by a rise to 2k seems like an extremely common pattern that I have seen in speakers.

I've heard that this is an issue with diffraction from the surround on speakers.

cujobob

« Reply #137 on: 7 Sep 2016, 05:54 am »
They are nice sounding speakers for the price but not at the same level vs the LS50 imo. There's no getting around the fact the ELAC uses an inexpensive tweeter and good tweeters aren't cheap. Not that the ELAC tweeter sound bad, it's fine... probably very good for the price of the speaker but the LS50's concentric drivers are far better imo.

Actually, building a good inexpensive tweeter is quite easy. Danny Richie went into detail with this when the X-LS speaker was upgraded to encore. You don't need to spend a fortune or use exotic parts to create a good driver. The problem is all about budgeting. A $300 speaker pair you can buy off Amazon has how much Mark up? Then, Elac gets a cut. Then, with what's left, you have to build the speaker and purchase supplies/parts for TWO speakers. Money goes fast. In reality, to upgrade the tweeter would have likely been a few dollars per speaker. The entry level audiophile probably won't care so much about the slight improvements, but to the seasoned person who owns higher end products, it will sound lacking. This is designed as more of an entry level bang for buck product. Still, as AV123 learned, just put the better parts in and spend a few more dollars and it will pay off.

maty

« Reply #138 on: 11 Sep 2016, 09:21 am »
ELAC Uni-fi UB5 Part2: Listening Impressions

-> http://noaudiophile.com/ELAC_UB5_Listening_Impressions/

…Now for the down side. As soon as you try to really play music the speaker becomes a shout box. When turning them up past 92dB (measured near field) the speaker loses control, and starts sounding more like a PA system than HiFi audio.

I asked ELAC why the speaker shits the bed is such a unique way at 92dB, and did not get a response. My instinct here is that this limitation is because of driver design, maybe not enough magnet or copper on the midrange.

By the way:

-> http://www.doctorproaudio.com/doctor/calculadores_en.htm#calc_spl

-> https://elac.com/product/ub5/

Speaker type: 3-way, bass reflex
Tweeter: 1 x 1-inch soft dome, concentrically mounted
Midrange: 1 x 4-inch aluminum cone
Woofer: 1 x 5.25-inch aluminum cone
Crossover frequency: 270 / 2,700 Hz
Frequency response: 46 to 25,000 Hz
Sensitivity: 85 dB at 2.83 v/1m
Recommended amplifier power: 40 to 140 wpc
Peak power handling: 140 wpc
Nominal impedance: 4 Ω; minimum 3.4 Ω
Binding posts: 5-way custom
Magnetic shielding: No
Cabinet finishes: Black brushed vinyl
Accessories included: Magnetic fabric grille
Dimensions (WxHxD): 7.87″ x 12.75″ x 10.75″

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #139 on: 11 Sep 2016, 12:06 pm »
I do love NoAudiophile's reviews. They are humorous. I didn't expect the speaker to do well past 90dB as many small speakers have trouble there. NoAudiophile had similar conclusions on the substantially more expensive Selah Compatto's which I enjoyed last year at Richidoo. It was smooth as butter, but we kept the volumes at sane levels.

If you want to really laugh, check out his review on the Bose 901's! Comb filtering galore! Thanks for that review!

In all seriousness, NoAudiophile has the knowledge to build a really nice 2ch room so that his low end measurements can improve considerably.

But then again, he's doing a favor for all those fellas who are trying to squeeze their speakers designed for a free standing setup to a desktop setup. I don't think there are too many of them however.

Best,
Anand.