Andrew Jones / Elac

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Andrew Jones / Elac
« Reply #40 on: 4 Jun 2015, 02:47 am »
Great vid, thanks.  I'm going to have to find a local dealer for these.

Ultralight

« Reply #41 on: 4 Jun 2015, 03:02 am »
Wow on the sub calibration at the end.  As he was talking, I wasn't sure how that could be done until he actually articulated their technique.  Very impressive out of the box thinking.

Some of Andrews thoughts, a great video:

https://youtu.be/QK5fKs1-Abg

Thanks to jtwrace for finding this video!

Best,
Anand.

goskers

« Reply #42 on: 4 Jun 2015, 03:36 am »
Really like what they are doing with sub calibration.  Wonder how this would work with multiple subs?

Great video find!

wagnju

« Reply #43 on: 4 Jun 2015, 06:33 am »
here is an article (PDF ) as news from the Elac website
http://www.elac.de/en/tests_and_news/News/2015/06/Andrew_Jones.php

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #44 on: 4 Jun 2015, 02:58 pm »
Great info on the video... I'm looking forward to hearing these speakers some day as I'm now in a bookshelf speaker mode of life.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #45 on: 14 Jul 2015, 09:12 pm »
« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2015, 10:36 pm by Tomy2Tone »

bummrush

« Reply #46 on: 14 Jul 2015, 10:26 pm »
Makes a big difference the electronics used also.

stlrman

« Reply #47 on: 14 Jul 2015, 11:50 pm »
I own his Pioneer Floorstanders in my "reference " system , lol.... Along with his 8inch sub. I will say that this man is a genius at creating speakers. He gets some pretty stunning sound out of inexpensive speakers. Put on a great recording , close you eyes, you probably would think the sound is coming out of speakers costing thousands.  I use this set up mostly for hometheater use, but if I play, " Keith Don't Go," you would be stunned.   :thumb:  I would like to add a second sub or a larger sub for movies , although this little eight inch may be  enough for most people .

Doublej

« Reply #48 on: 15 Jul 2015, 12:14 am »
$300 speakers being driven by a $3000 source targeting the younger generation to get them interested... :scratch:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #49 on: 15 Jul 2015, 12:25 am »
$300 speakers being driven by a $3000 source targeting the younger generation to get them interested... :scratch:

I remember Andrew saying he wanted to show what was possible with these speakers when he "debuted" them at Newport.

I had a pair of the Pioneer BS22's and at one time put them in my main system at home and they sounded just as good as my $2300 speakers I had at the time. Then I took them to work and used a Lepai amp and they still sounded great.

I think the point was they respond to what's being fed which isn't always the case with $300 speakers.

JackD201

« Reply #50 on: 16 Jul 2015, 09:15 am »
It was announced last year that Pioneer was leaving the home audio and video market in order to concentrate on car audio and telematics. It was announced that Pioneer home AV would go to Onkyo whiile the DJ line was to go to a US based holding company. TAD was not mentioned in the Asia Nikkei article but TAD may have been affected as well.

I'm very happy that Andrew has found a new home. I'm sure he doesn't remember me but we met a couple of years ago in Tokyo. He left an excellent impression on me. Hard not to like a guy who, you can obviously see, really loves his work.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #51 on: 16 Jul 2015, 07:49 pm »
It was announced last year that Pioneer was leaving the home audio and video market in order to concentrate on car audio and telematics. It was announced that Pioneer home AV would go to Onkyo whiile the DJ line was to go to a US based holding company. TAD was not mentioned in the Asia Nikkei article but TAD may have been affected as well.
I believe TAD is an independent entity and was not bought by Onkyo, according to Andrew in that (too) long Scott Wilkinson interview for Home Theater Geeks.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #52 on: 16 Jul 2015, 10:17 pm »

I'm very happy that Andrew has found a new home. I'm sure he doesn't remember me but we met a couple of years ago in Tokyo. He left an excellent impression on me. Hard not to like a guy who, you can obviously see, really loves his work.

I read the same article and am surprised that Pioneer is still putting out new home AV receiver & blu ray models even into 2015.  They still have their own independent website as well.  Wonder what gives.  Prefer to see Pioneer carry on than Onkyo.....

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #53 on: 1 Oct 2015, 06:07 pm »
http://elac.us/speakers/

My HT mains blew out and I placed an order for a pair of F5 as replacement.   Just to keep the voices even I also ordered the C5. 

I got an email today which informs me that most goods have arrived at the designated US port but clearing custom is taking time because it's a first time importing process for the company.  Won't be too long before they start shipping.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #54 on: 1 Oct 2015, 06:36 pm »
http://elac.us/speakers/

My HT mains blew out and I placed an order for a pair of F5 as replacement.   Just to keep the voices even I also ordered the C5. 

I got an email today which informs me that most goods have arrived at the designated US port but clearing custom is taking time because it's a first time importing process for the company.  Won't be too long before they start shipping.
I hope to hear them tomorrow!

Meicheng

« Reply #55 on: 1 Oct 2015, 06:55 pm »
Well Jason, I suggest you go early because the Elac room has been really crowded/packed at other shows.  I heard them at the San Francisco show and was quite impressed for the money.  I kind of get the feeling that there is only one working pair and that Andrew was using these for all the shows.  I hope with the actual release in about a week, the speakers that are shipped sound as good as the ones Andrew has been showing at the shows. 

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #56 on: 1 Oct 2015, 07:10 pm »
Andrew did a great job with those.

rdyapo

« Reply #57 on: 15 Oct 2015, 07:54 am »

I got my B5's today, just a little review, so I'm making it simple. I am a simple man, so I play a simple tune.... Okay, I got into the Hi Res thing in the beginning of the year, I have a little bit of money I listen to Leo Leporte and he reviewed the Fii0 X1, I got interested and bought the little dac player and a pair of headphones (Audio-technia ATH-M50x), I bought music from HDTracks.com and got blown away, couldn't believe the sound I was missing. Then, I listened to Andrew Jones on Twit with Scott Wilkerson (Home Theater Geeks) and when I had the chance, I pre-ordered the B5s. I couldn't afford a Dac receiver, so I bought Lapai LP2020A+ with a 12v5a power adapter. The difference I could hear between the B5 and my ATH-M50X headphones is big too me. It is easily detailed by me listening to the Beach Boys album (Pet Sounds) that I purchased via HDTracks. When I purchased this album last week, I wasn't very happy with the sound, I mean you could hear the difference but it wasn't what I was expecting. Well, when I got the B5s, I wanted to go directly to this Beach Boy album..... Much Better!!! It's close to feeling like your in the studio. Maybe next year I can figure out what Dac receiver to buy and I'd really like to change my whole surround sound system, so we'll see. Thanks Andrew Jones, Chris Walker and the entire Elac Team. Now I'm into Real HD-Audio. :D

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #58 on: 16 Oct 2015, 02:16 am »
Nice review, clear and concise.  Welcome to AC and the Cheap & Cheerful circle.  I do not need any new speakers, but these have got me interested in a way the Pioneer BS22's didn't.  I think I remember that they have a couple of dealers listed not too far from me, but can't find the site that listed that.  Anyway, I might could go for a pair, we'll see.

JLG440

« Reply #59 on: 17 Oct 2015, 10:24 pm »
Glad to see that you got  your pair of Elac, I'm going crazy waiting and waiting .... for my pair of 6.5 Elac that I ordered on Amazon, but still unavailable there. Just order them after reading the comment from Jeff Bagby here, let me tell you if they sound better than the Pioneer ( and the Pioneer sound incredible ) we have a winer!!!!