Andrew Jones / Elac

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Andrew Jones / Elac
« Reply #60 on: 17 Oct 2015, 10:39 pm »
Now you need to get some IsoAcoustic stands for those B5's. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #61 on: 17 Oct 2015, 11:06 pm »
Now you need to get some IsoAcoustic stands for those B5's.

+1, they make a big difference.

I finally got my ANdrew Jones speakers... not ELAC, Pioneer S-1EX.  :green:

Doublej

« Reply #62 on: 18 Oct 2015, 01:50 pm »
+1, they make a big difference.

I finally got my ANdrew Jones speakers... not ELAC, Pioneer S-1EX.  :green:

How would you describe the difference with the IsoAcoustics stands under the speakers?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #63 on: 18 Oct 2015, 02:21 pm »
How would you describe the difference with the IsoAcoustics stands under the speakers?

A lot less energy is transmitted to the floor, reducing sympathetic resonance of random things around the house... there is more a sense of the music floating in space. They also result in cleaner sounding bass, and that effect extends up into the midrange. Try it and you'll never spike a speaker to the floor ever again..  :green:

Whitestix

« Reply #64 on: 18 Oct 2015, 08:29 pm »
I got the B6's this week and after about 25 hours on them, they are sounding very good.  ELAC was generous enough to ship them at their expense. I have them a couple inches from the back wall on the stand behind my bed (not the best position, admittedly) and am driving them with a Music Fidelity M3i int. amp  which is a breeze.  The bass is increasingly better defined as they burn in and is deep enough that I feel no need for a sub with them.  My impression is that they are very detailed and extended and have a mid-range that allows vocals to sound very natural.  Recalling my time with the KEF LS50's, these are more laid-back and neutral sounding....  and far far easier to drive than the KEF's.  If the price was equal to that of the KEF's, I would still prefer these speakers, but the fact is they are less than 25% of the cost of the KEF's.  I do think these will improve with another 100-200 hours on them, but I am loving what I am hearing right now.  In comparison to my budget reference monitors, the Dali Zensor 1's, these have a much "bigger" sound and deeper bass.   Hats off to Andrew Jones and ELAC for setting a new bar for great budget speakers!  I heard Danny at GR Research is designing a new x-over for them that will likely even improve their performance. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #65 on: 18 Oct 2015, 08:32 pm »
I heard Danny at GR Research is designing a new x-over for them that will likely even improve their performance.
Doubtful at best.  In fact, I'd stick with the AJ designed crossover. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #66 on: 18 Oct 2015, 10:22 pm »
Doubtful at best.  In fact, I'd stick with the AJ designed crossover.

I emphatically disagree. The stock crossover is built at a very low price point. Cheap miracles are no match for uncompromising quality.

2bigears

« Reply #67 on: 18 Oct 2015, 10:50 pm »
 :D  hummmm, I absolutely LOVE a 'cheap miracle' ....  :D  wish they happened more often. I also Love people shooting holes it stupid overpricing and marketing tactics.  :D

Wind Chaser

« Reply #68 on: 18 Oct 2015, 11:24 pm »
Well the AJ BS22 were sort of considered a cheap miracle. However cheap miracles are rarely miraculous. The only miracle is that people are allured by pretense and hysteria. :oops:

OTOH modifications by Dennis Murphy (which were not profitable for him) doubled the price of the AJ BS22... and these modifications were widely, if not universally regarded as more than well worth it.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #69 on: 19 Oct 2015, 12:03 am »
Well the AJ BS22 were sort of considered a cheap miracle. However cheap miracles are rarely miraculous. The only miracle is that people are allured by pretense and hysteria. :oops:

OTOH modifications by Dennis Murphy (which were not profitable for him) doubled the price of the AJ BS22... and these modifications were widely, if not universally regarded as more than well worth it.
You obviously haven't heard the ELAC line.  Further, anybody can do what Andrew has done.  Oh, that's right, no they can't!  If they could they would have done it.  Any kit that is a 3 way is even more than those speakers and they walk all over them.  Sorry but changing parts isn't "designing" nor is saying that it's all wrong.   :duh: 

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #70 on: 19 Oct 2015, 02:02 am »
You obviously haven't heard the ELAC line.  Further, anybody can do what Andrew has done.  Oh, that's right, no they can't!  If they could they would have done it.  Any kit that is a 3 way is even more than those speakers and they walk all over them.  Sorry but changing parts isn't "designing" nor is saying that it's all wrong.   :duh:

Ok, can't take it anymore.  If those exact same speakers were in the Cambridge room, people would have had good things to say, but the Andrew Jones aura is IMO just as responsible for the interweb gushing as the performance to price is.  They're nothing more than a $600 pair of speakers that sound like a $1000 pair.  At RMAF I thought the Cambridge towers at $1200 were better sounding overall and built to a much higher standard.  Wharfedale makes some towers at near the same price that would better the Elac's in most ways, Focal and Dynaudio make make some monitors that will beat the Elac monitors.  That's just off the top of my head, there are all sorts of other brands I'd look at as well like Chane and Swans.  Bottom line is these Elac's are not any sort of revelation.  It's just that the audiophiles have been so focused on the higher end for so long, they have no realization that all these other values lines even exist.

The Chane's especially, previously called Arx, are great speakers for the price.  If you're feeling yourself getting caught up in the Elac hoopla, you should check those out first.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #71 on: 19 Oct 2015, 02:20 am »
Since we were not at RMAF so I can't really comment on what they played there at all.

On the other hand, I did listen to the B5 at CAS and they are the real thing.

FYI, we are one of their competitors but I have to tip my hat to Andrew.

TomS

« Reply #72 on: 19 Oct 2015, 02:30 am »
Since we were not at RMAF so I can't really comment on what they played there at all.

On the other hand, I did listen to the B5 at CAS and they are the real thing.

FYI, we are one of their competitors but I have to tip my hat to Andrew.
Very classy, my friend  8)

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #73 on: 19 Oct 2015, 02:35 am »
« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2015, 10:38 pm by Tomy2Tone »

sts9fan

« Reply #74 on: 19 Oct 2015, 02:57 am »
Ok, can't take it anymore.  If those exact same speakers were in the Cambridge room, people would have had good things to say, but the Andrew Jones aura is IMO just as responsible for the interweb gushing as the performance to price is.  They're nothing more than a $600 pair of speakers that sound like a $1000 pair.  At RMAF I thought the Cambridge towers at $1200 were better sounding overall and built to a much higher standard.  Wharfedale makes some towers at near the same price that would better the Elac's in most ways, Focal and Dynaudio make make some monitors that will beat the Elac monitors.  That's just off the top of my head, there are all sorts of other brands I'd look at as well like Chane and Swans.  Bottom line is these Elac's are not any sort of revelation.  It's just that the audiophiles have been so focused on the higher end for so long, they have no realization that all these other values lines even exist.

The Chane's especially, previously called Arx, are great speakers for the price.  If you're feeling yourself getting caught up in the Elac hoopla, you should check those out first.

The butthurt is strong with this one.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #75 on: 19 Oct 2015, 03:13 am »
The butthurt is strong with this one.

Really, giving props to a laundry-list of other great speakers at the price-point is butthurt?  I really don't care who wins in the "Made in a Cambodian sweatshop" category.  But some of those other brands deserve just as much attention, even if they don't have the name attached.

roscoeiii

« Reply #76 on: 19 Oct 2015, 03:28 am »
Really, giving props to a laundry-list of other great speakers at the price-point is butthurt?  I really don't care who wins in the "Made in a Cambodian sweatshop" category.  But some of those other brands deserve just as much attention, even if they don't have the name attached.

Gotta agree with Ryan here. Part of the spirit at AC is members pointing folks to under the radar gear that sounds super.

And audition, audition, audition for speakers in particular

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #77 on: 19 Oct 2015, 03:34 am »
Lets get a handle on what is important.
 I only buy products made in my own country now. Virtue, Vapor, Omega, Tortuga, Magnepan and DAC. Read between the lines the sellout to china does not interest me.
Think about it.
This is all I am going to say about equipment manufactures who send the money over seas.
These discussions would not be important if we supported, Ryan, Louis, Seth etc.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #78 on: 19 Oct 2015, 03:50 am »
Lets get a handle on what is important.
 I only buy products made in my own country now. Virtue, Vapor, Omega, Tortuga, Magnepan and DAC. Read between the lines the sellout to china does not interest me.
Think about it.
This is all I am going to say about equipment manufactures who send the money over seas.
These discussions would not be important if we supported, Ryan, Louis, Seth etc.

If money is tight and you want killer sound, AND want to keep it in the US, write somebody like us (or Salk, Klaus, Duke, etc) and ask them if they can meet your budget by skipping pretty cabinet work.  RAAL has an inexpensive ribbon now, and there are no shortage of excellent woofers in the $50-$100/each range.  Put them together in a simple rectangular MDF or Birch Ply box with vinyl wrap as the finish, and you could get a large percentage of the performance for little cost. 

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #79 on: 19 Oct 2015, 04:11 am »
Get a handle here folks.  The butthurt comment was out of line and added nothing to the discussion.  Please don't post anything remotely like that again.

Ryan, I understand your point, just remember this is the C&C circle and some of the models mentioned would be over the pricing guidelines.  We want to compare the B5 and B6 to other speakers between $229 and $279, which several of your examples do.  And how could it not be a good thing to have another set of contenders in the budget champion sweepstakes?

The C&C circle will always be a place populated by products built overseas.  If you have a buy American only philosophy, I wish you good fortune, but a philosophy like that will never be supported on this circle.  That being said, we of course fully support all of the sponsors here that sell products meeting C&C guidelines.  You do know that the site is Australian, right?

Back to the topic, I'm wondering if the B5 is the sweetheart of the line, the larger driver in the B6 often muddies the sound in many inexpensive speakers.  The F5 is not receiving the same accolades as the B5, anyone compare the two bookshelves side by side?