I need a new table saw.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
Re: I need a new table saw.
« Reply #60 on: 6 Jan 2015, 08:45 pm »
The manager of the tool department just made me a deal on the Delta for $539. and I just brought it home. The last Delta lasted me 19 years. Maybe this one will do the same.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_510897-52010-36-725_0__?productId=50081568&Ntt=table+saws&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dtable%2Bsaws&facetInfo=

Sweet....!

NeilT

« Reply #61 on: 6 Jan 2015, 09:40 pm »
Very nice.

Neil

Bizarroterl

« Reply #62 on: 9 Jan 2015, 12:26 am »
I didn't have the room (at the time) for a table saw.  I ended up buying a track saw it has become my go to for cutting sheets.  Very accurate and easy to use.  Setup is simple.  I don't need a table saw.  However if I ever decide I do need one -Sawstop for sure.  One accident and the additional cost of purchase would be money well spent.     

That said, I also have a radial arm saw.    Every time I go to turn it on I imagine my fingers lying there cut off, the blood, and the shock that I just cut my fingers and part of my hand off.  Then I make sure I'm not doing any stupid (other than turning that monster on) before I hit the switch.   :nono:

bdp24

« Reply #63 on: 9 Jan 2015, 08:15 pm »
I worked in a small furniture shop years ago. The young guys (early 20's) would often come back from lunch half-baked, and one day one of them let his fingers hang over the end of the board he was pushing through a jointer. I heard one short scream, and turned around to see him gripping the wrist of his upturned right arm as he bound up the stairs to the medical station. Another employee started poking through the sawdust on the shop floor, looking for the kid's fingertips. Never saw (heh) the kid again.

mcgsxr

« Reply #64 on: 9 Jan 2015, 08:17 pm »
I bought a new sliding mitre saw over the holidays.  I had one too many moments of fear using a hand held radial over the years.

Nice piece you bought Danny!

jonwb

« Reply #65 on: 11 Jan 2015, 01:26 am »
Like many, I also can't accommodate a table saw the size of a kitchen table. 

Way back when I was making my Alpha LS speaker enclosures, I used my little Porter Cable benchtop table saw.  I found it really tricky to keep the (large) pieces of MDF square against the short fence.  To me, that's the biggest issue with the smaller saws.  The fences are too short, providing very little lead-in.  Basically you have maybe 8-12" of material (length) against the fence when your wood gets to the blade. 

Now when I use it to rip anything much longer than a couple feet, I clamp a cheap 4' level to the side of the fence.  Its crude, but it does make it easier to keep things square.