I need a new table saw.

Folsom

Re: I need a new table saw.
« Reply #40 on: 4 Jan 2015, 08:42 pm »
The university here has one in the painting studio. It's $500 a pop because of the blade and cartridge it uses.

grimace

« Reply #41 on: 4 Jan 2015, 09:28 pm »
Beautiful old 66, grimace. I'm  a little envious.

Thanks. It is a great saw. They just don't make them like they used to...

steve f

« Reply #42 on: 4 Jan 2015, 09:29 pm »
Either take a piece of no res to a saw stop dealer for a demo or email the company and ask.

jdbrian

« Reply #43 on: 4 Jan 2015, 10:03 pm »
I have one of those big cast iron craftsman table saws from the 1980s. One accessory that I would never be without is a crosscut box. I built one that will take 24" wide sheet goods and cut it with high accuracy.  The saw I own is large and heavy enough to support the box and the work. A smaller, lighter saw will not be stable or safe to cut material that large.  I usually buy the 24 x 48 panels of MDF or Baltic Birch etc. at HD and build enclosures from that. It's a bit more than buying full sheets but is so much easier to transport and use. HD will also cut full sheets on a panel saw for you for a nominal fee.
  The crosscut box cuts no res like butter. Maybe because it's like having a zero clearance insert and there is very little gap between the blade and the surface of the box, I'm not sure.

NeilT

« Reply #44 on: 5 Jan 2015, 02:08 am »
I have one of those big cast iron craftsman table saws from the 1980s. One accessory that I would never be without is a crosscut box. I built one that will take 24" wide sheet goods and cut it with high accuracy.  The saw I own is large and heavy enough to support the box and the work. A smaller, lighter saw will not be stable or safe to cut material that large.

If your saw is staying in your shop, get the biggest and heaviest that you can afford, the foot print between a portable contractor style table saw and a cabinet style is minimal, but the difference in confidence and quality of work is huge.

I am using a 1930's General. I found it in a recycler ad and paid 400 for it.
The guy that I bought it from, got it from an old high school wood shop.
It has a very nice Vega fence, that can be dialed in to half a nat's ass.

I have never seen a new saw for under 2000.00 that even comes close to quality of this cast iron oldie.

The track saws have their purpose, but will never replace a decent table saw.

Don't rule out finding a decent used saw.

To Quote Peter
I'm completely confident in my ability to keep my hands out of the saw and it's not the only potentially dangerous machine in the shop. I'll leave it at that.

I would rather spend the extra money on a good saw, the Saw Stop can't even cut a hot dog.  :lol:

Happy hunting Danny
Neil

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #45 on: 5 Jan 2015, 05:33 pm »
Danny,  you've seen my Jet contractor table saw that I bought several years ago.  I aligned it and replaced the factory belt with a link belt and vibration is minimal and accuracy is great.  I've built lots of speakers with it, including your original monster line source.

grimace

« Reply #46 on: 5 Jan 2015, 05:50 pm »
Danny, I'd you do buy a Tablesaw, definitely check out Wood Whisperer's video on Tablesaw setup / alignment.  Saved me a lot of headaches. Most decent contractor saws allow for the types of adjustments needed to get square and true cuts (fence parallel to blade, blade perpendicular to top, top flat, etc.), so you should be set if you go that route.

Danny Richie

« Reply #47 on: 5 Jan 2015, 06:04 pm »
Danny,  you've seen my Jet contractor table saw that I bought several years ago.  I aligned it and replaced the factory belt with a link belt and vibration is minimal and accuracy is great.  I've built lots of speakers with it, including your original monster line source.

That's a nice saw.

BobC

« Reply #48 on: 5 Jan 2015, 08:47 pm »

Danny Richie

« Reply #49 on: 5 Jan 2015, 09:35 pm »
The manager of the tool department just made me a deal on the Delta for $539. and I just brought it home. The last Delta lasted me 19 years. Maybe this one will do the same.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_510897-52010-36-725_0__?productId=50081568&Ntt=table+saws&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dtable%2Bsaws&facetInfo=

Folsom

« Reply #50 on: 5 Jan 2015, 09:47 pm »
I'm sure you'll be producing some great speakers with it.

Danny Richie

« Reply #51 on: 5 Jan 2015, 09:50 pm »
I'm sure you'll be producing some great speakers with it.

Yeah, I need to get it assembled now. I have a bunch of No Rez to cut and some prototype Wedgie bases to cut....

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #52 on: 5 Jan 2015, 10:30 pm »
For the price, I think you got a good saw. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Here's the wood guy with the fine tuning advise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxRSarTJLMU

grimace

« Reply #53 on: 6 Jan 2015, 01:50 am »
The manager of the tool department just made me a deal on the Delta for $539. and I just brought it home. The last Delta lasted me 19 years. Maybe this one will do the same.

Nice looking saw.  Congrats!  In addition to the setup/tuning video, here's a link to a very simple but accurate cross-cut sled that you can make. http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/39002/build-a-super-precise-tablesaw-crosscut-sled

jcotner

« Reply #54 on: 6 Jan 2015, 03:40 am »
Nice looking saw you bought Danny. These little saws have
a few more compromises than a full Cabinet Saw.
I did a little reading and looks like you will need to thoroughly tune
the saw up, courtesy of two section Fence Rail.
The riving knife they included with the saw may limit the blades you
can use. Check the allowed kerf with the manual.
The insert looks to no longer be cast but stamped and some
complained about accuracy due to the insert.
Delta may have some new accessories out by now for this saw,
which may help with things like using a dado set on this saw.
I used to have a BT-3000 which is a very similar type of saw.
Very nice to have the portability and I did love the saw but
moved onto a Jet cabinet saw 15 years ago and never looked back.
Mine is on a movable base which does help but due to dust
collection I don't move mine much.
Best of luck with the new saw and here's to many years of speakers
from it.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #55 on: 6 Jan 2015, 11:47 am »
grimace wrote:
Most decent contractor saws allow for the types of adjustments needed to get square and true cuts (fence parallel to blade, blade perpendicular to top, top flat, etc.), so you should be set if you go that route.
+1 on that - it's basically what I did and it resulted in the accuracy of a cabinet saw in my contractor saw.

mojave

« Reply #56 on: 6 Jan 2015, 04:33 pm »
I use a Makita Track Saw, Bosch router, and Bosch compound miter saw. With these three tools I haven't had a need for table saw. The track saw seems so much safer than a table saw. For subwoofer cabinets, I slightly oversize the top/bottom and front/back. Then I flush cut with the router for perfect seams.

I cut all my No Rez on the compound miter saw. It is easy to flip the No Rez and cut all the way through.

Folsom

« Reply #57 on: 6 Jan 2015, 07:47 pm »
Bandsaw, very useful for no rez circles etc. Otherwise table saw was easiest for me. A guide for bandsaw would make it just as good probably.

Voncarlos

• OB5s in Stripes
« Reply #58 on: 6 Jan 2015, 08:09 pm »

Hi Danny,
You did good on the saw you bought. There are several choices in that price category, including the Jet brand (very nice stuff).
+1 on doing a complete alignment and replacing the belt. I've replaced all my belt driven tools with the Link-V-belts.
Replacing the pulleys or having them trued is also good. You can really feel the difference !
If you don't have a dedicated dust collection system, put a large-flat box under the saw, on top of the wheel frame and it will make throwing out the sawdust easier.     
Happy cutting ! :thumb:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #59 on: 6 Jan 2015, 08:41 pm »
Bandsaw, very useful for no rez circles etc. Otherwise table saw was easiest for me. A guide for bandsaw would make it just as good probably.

I never thought about using my bandsaw to cut NoRez. I wonder which would make a bigger mess, the bandsaw or the table saw.