vr33 review

BigDaddy51

vr33 review
« on: 23 Dec 2014, 03:54 pm »
When I brought my 33's home and hooked them up, it was an Awakening. Its like I never heard all the music in my collection before. The sound staging, the clarity, the sheer power from front and back! I heard complete bass runs from John Entwistle,the "hugeness" of the 1812 Overture,the purity of classical guitar solos,the beauty of little bells traveling through the air in my living room, it is AWESOME! Willie Nelson singing What a wonderful World was like enjoying a personal concert at home. Albert hit the home run ball with these speakers, thank God I met him. What an experience. I feel the music now, not just hear it. These 33's take anything I throw at them with ease, and a brilliance that "POPS" out at you. Close your eyes, and you'll swear you just felt the bow hit the cello strings.I'm so glad I took the plunge. If you can, go hear them in person.

BigSwede

Re: vr33 review
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2014, 02:11 pm »
These 33's take anything I throw at them with ease
Agreed, these aren't specialty niche speakers, they just sound "right" with everything.

Delacroix

« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2014, 02:23 pm »
Welcome BigDaddy51

What other gear are you using in your rig?

Patrick

stereo5

• Current System
« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2015, 04:52 pm »
I own the VR-33 speakers as well and I am quite pleased with them.  I wonder how the Golden Ear Triton 1 speakers would compare against the VR-33 speakers?

Wolfpack85

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2015, 02:42 am »
I own the VR-33 speakers as well and I am quite pleased with them.  I wonder how the Golden Ear Triton 1 speakers would compare against the VR-33 speakers?

I think the VR33 would walk all over them. Let me know if you get the chance to compare.

stereo5

• Current System
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2015, 10:32 pm »
"I think the VR33 would walk all over them."

I'm not so sure about that.  Although I am pleased with the VR33 speakers, there are certain aspects of the sound that keeps me being totally in love with them and my wife dislikes their large size..  The Triton ones are much narrower and will probably disappear in the living room (aesthetically speaking).  A local dealer is going to let me borrow his demo pair for a long weekend (Martin Luther King Day) so I will be able to get a grasp on the difference in sound.  Since I listen to 90% rock, I think they may be just the ticket.  I'll keep you guys posted.

mr_bill

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2015, 11:00 pm »
Stereo5
I agree with you - the GE Triton 1 is supposed to be a huge overachiever and fight even with reference speakers at its low price.
Please keep us posted on your thoughts after you demo them.

daveaux419

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2015, 02:10 am »
Hi everyone, I thought would chime in hear with my two cents.  I have the VR-33 with upgrades (crossover, internal wiring and biwire).  I am about 150 hours into burn in so  I still have a ways to go to get the true potential of the speakers. I have listened to the triton one in a HT and 2 channel set up and was very impressed. Without making this a long and drawn out reply I would say it does all of audiophile stuff effortlessly. I was so impressed that I almost got them over the 33's. The one thing that I would say makes this speaker such a tour de force is is bottom end. It is powerful and accurate. A joy to listen to. On the HT side it has that wow factor that puts you right in the theater. Compared to the upgraded 33's it goes head to head and IMO does very well. The one thing I think the Triton one does is a little better is bottom end. Thats kind of expected due to the design. The one thing that the big 2 channel listeners are going to favor with the 33's is its refinement. With the upgraded crossover, the amount of detail in the sound stage is amazing. I found the sound staging of the 33's to be better, instruments seem to extend well out into the room with true space in between each one.  The Triton's did this but not as well. What ever one somebody chooses they are going to be pleased with both. Two speakers that are a welcome addition to this crazy hobby.

kernelbob

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2015, 03:54 pm »
Re the VR33 bass, it will continue to improve with more playing time.  After 150 hours, there's more break-in to be had.  Not only will the surrounds continue to loosen up as they settle into their design point, but the crossover and wiring will also improve in speed, detail, and frequency extension.  Also, the bass will be tighter and faster once they're spiked (not sure if you've spiked them yet).  The upgraded wiring in your speakers will improve for several hundred hours.  Are you biwiring them in your system?  That will give you a cleaner, more relaxed mid/treble.

Best,
Robert

daveaux419

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jan 2015, 03:59 pm »
I am biwiring them. I do not know if I have spiked them yet. Real newbie here :thumb:

kernelbob

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jan 2015, 05:00 pm »
By 'spiked', I mean have you attached the spikes to the bottom of the speakers?  Leaving them off facilitates moving the speakers around as you zero-in on their placement, then adding the spikes will tighten up the bass.

To speed up the break-in process, try music with lots of intense transient music.  Albert suggested track 10 ("Night Train") from the CD "Gettin' to It" by Christian McBride.  Set the CD on repeat and let it play at a reasonable listening level (mid 70's dB is what I used).

For bi-wiring, you want to remove the jumpers from the speaker terminals and use separate cables from the amps.

Robert

stereo5

• Current System
« Reply #11 on: 4 Jan 2015, 06:03 pm »
For break in, I used the Isotek burn in cd.  I ran it for a week at a good volume level.  I had the speakers facing each other with one speaker wired out of phase.  I noticed a BIG difference from the before and after sound.

My problem is I am still not getting the bass I had with my previous floor standing speakers which used a Scanspeak 7 inch woofer.  Although the bass goes deep, it isn't as pronounced.  The max distance I can place the speaker from the wall behind it is 8 inches because it is in our living room and if I move the speakers further out into the room then it blocks a portion of the TV screen.  I tried every position from 2-8 inches from the wall and I am still not satisfied.  My only reason for buying these speakers was because they could go very close to the wall.  Since installing these speakers, I listen to the system less and less.  I use my secondary system every day but the living room system goes idle for weeks at a time.  I have close to 40 grand invested in that system and the fact that I listen to it less and less bothers me.

Before everyone tells me to re-arrange the room, change speaker wires, cables, add room tuning devices, etc.  The answer is NO.  I already have very expensive cables and I won't get sucked in again to try and put a band aid on my bass problem and the layout of the room makes it impossible to change the speaker location.  Since I listen to mostly rock, this is a BIG problem for me.  The Triton Ones have a bass level control on the back of the speakers so that may help a bit.

If anyone has a suggestion, you can check out my reference system in the Gallery and make some recommendations or give your thoughts on it.

kernelbob

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jan 2015, 06:43 pm »
I looked at your system pics.  It's hard to tell from the photo, but if you haven't installed the spikes that came with your VR33's, they will tighten up the bass.  Also, 20 feet speaker cables are pretty long.  As you requested, I won't suggest any other changes.

Best,
Robert

stereo5

• Current System
« Reply #13 on: 4 Jan 2015, 07:35 pm »
I am using the spikes that VSA supplied with the speakers.  Yeah, 20 feet of speaker cables are long but necessary as the rack is on the other side of the room in an alcove near the entryway.  I have been using the Groneberg Quattro reference speaker cables for 5 years and I am very satisfied with them.  Since my amp is wired with the same cable it made sense.  My previous speakers which are now in my secondary system were also wired with the same cables.  I am told the gauge of the cable is 9 gauge which is plenty for the 20 foot run. 

mdconnelly

« Reply #14 on: 4 Jan 2015, 11:28 pm »
I've got a pair of VR35s and also wrestled with bass response.   The problem/feature with this speaker design is that you have to throw out everything you thought you knew about speaker  placement.  These speakers do best when very close to the front wall.   In my 12' wide room, bass was tightest and best defined with the speakers just 3 inches from the wall - essentially as close as I could place them.   Obviously everyone has a different room and different experiences, but try pushing those speakers right up next to the wall and see what it does to your bass.   I was astounded, but then, that is exactly how Albert designed these so I shouldn't be all that surprised.

Wolfpack85

« Reply #15 on: 4 Jan 2015, 11:31 pm »
I'am surprised that the bass impact is lacking with the amp you are using. That sucks!

mdconnelly

« Reply #16 on: 4 Jan 2015, 11:32 pm »
I've got a pair of VR35s and also wrestled with bass response.   The problem/feature with this speaker design is that you have to throw out everything you thought you knew about speaker  placement.  These speakers do best when very close to the front wall.   In my 12' wide room, bass was tightest and best defined with the speakers just 3 inches from the wall - essentially as close as I could place them.   Obviously everyone has a different room and different experiences, but try pushing those speakers right up next to the wall and see what it does to your bass. ...

I should have added, once you push them against the wall, try moving them out in half-inch increments.   I think you'll be as surprised as I was at how much better the bass sounds with the speakers up close to that front wall.

Wolfpack85

« Reply #17 on: 4 Jan 2015, 11:43 pm »
He has moved them from 2" to 8" from the wall with no luck. I'm guessing there is a dip in the 60-40hz region.

stereo5

• Current System
« Reply #18 on: 5 Jan 2015, 12:55 am »
He has moved them from 2" to 8" from the wall with no luck. I'm guessing there is a dip in the 60-40hz region.

You are correct.  If it is a dip in that region of say 40-80hz, what can be done to fix it other than using a graphic EQ?

Wolfpack85

« Reply #19 on: 5 Jan 2015, 02:34 am »
If there is a suckout at your seating position then you may have to sit closer or further away. If the speakers have a large dip at those frequencies then eq would help. If the speakers are the culprit then I would be wrong saying they would walk all over the Trtiion 1's. Reading about the VR33 and hearing what others have said I would have thought this speaker is very full with a wide dispersion. Very good for rock but yet you are not getting that dynamic energy in the frequency that can hit you in the chest. What does it sound like when you stand in a far corner of the room? Does the whole room have this suck out?