vr33 review

stereo5

• Current System
Re: vr33 review
« Reply #40 on: 8 Jan 2015, 12:01 am »
I will post a preliminary review on Saturday evening and then a full review once the speakers have broken in.

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #41 on: 8 Jan 2015, 03:02 am »
If you want to try putting a panel behind the VR33's woofer, I'd suggest a pair of large, heavy butcher block cutting boards instead of plywood, MDF, etc.  That stuff will resonate where the cutting boards will be inert.  You can always pick up a pair of them and return them if they don't work out.

You are of course correct that plywood is not the way to go. My experiment was only that, and tonight I took them out. Like many things in audio, sometimes change seems better for a bit, then you realize it may not be...I like mine better without the reinforcement. Still like to try a proper reinforcement someday, but then again, I don't really need it.

Stereo5, good luck with the Triton's. I will be reading your findings with interest!

stereo5

• Current System
« Reply #42 on: 8 Jan 2015, 04:51 am »
Thanks very much to everyone. I can't hardly wait until Saturday.  I hope work is busy the next 2 days so the time will go by quick.   I don't usually buy new so this is exciting for me.

JackD201

« Reply #43 on: 8 Jan 2015, 12:13 pm »
Hope everything works out Stereo. Life is too short not to live and love it!  :thumb:

daveaux419

« Reply #44 on: 8 Jan 2015, 03:40 pm »
You are going to love these, especially if your into Home Theater! The HT system I heard with these in was absolutely stunning.   :thumb:
These seem to be one of the best set ups for HT to come out in years!

stereo5

• Current System
« Reply #45 on: 8 Jan 2015, 09:28 pm »
I hope they are as good for 2 channel audio as they are for home theater.  I don't do home theater, only watch 3 hours of TV weekly.  I haven't heard or read one negative thing about the Triton ones, I am keeping my fingers crossed my equipment and room will be a good match.

daveaux419

« Reply #46 on: 8 Jan 2015, 09:31 pm »
For sure it will sound good for 2 channel as well. I was just giving my experience with them. These speakers to me show the true value that can be had in this hobby.

Delacroix

« Reply #47 on: 8 Jan 2015, 11:39 pm »
Folks

might be time to split this off from the Von S circle -- reviews of other manufacturer's speakers should probably have their own thread.

Best

Patrick

stereo5

• Current System
« Reply #48 on: 8 Jan 2015, 11:59 pm »
I wholeheartedly agree.

douglesc

« Reply #49 on: 13 Jan 2015, 02:42 am »
My VR33's are on an outside wall.  I bought these speakers ONLY because they were advertised that they were made to go close to the wall in a typical living room.  I have a typical living room that 2 lesser pairs of speakers (Vandersteen 2ci and Odyssey Kismet Reference floorstanding speakers) sounded much better in the bass department with exactly all the same equipment.   If you look at the picture on the left side you will see the Kismet speakers and where they were placed and the size in relation to the VSA speaker.  On the right is the VR33 in place on it's spikes.  You can clearly see the Odyssey speaker blocking part of the TV which was what I was trying to alleviate with the VSA.  The bass from the Odyssey speaker was and is spectacular and goes as deep and is much more full and defined compared to the VSA speaker.

I'm out of ideas.

this is just a thought, but I would double and triple check to make sure that these VS speakers are in phase, maybe including the woofers in the cabinets as well......IMO they just should not be lacking to the degree you say,,,,one other thing, between these and the tritons,, which ones have the better midrange and highs??? ....subwoofers are cheap and many are not big at all and really could change the picture you now have..........just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

stereo5

• Current System
« Reply #50 on: 14 Jan 2015, 02:11 pm »
Since the moderators would rather me not discuss other speaker brands other than VSA on their forum, I have posted my experiences with the Tritons in the speaker section of the Audio Asylum.  Hope to see you there.  Thanks again for all the great ideas and help as well.  I will say I am EXTREMELY happy right now.

Bob

BigDaddy51

« Reply #51 on: 16 Jan 2015, 10:52 pm »
To answer your question about my system. I have Mcintosh vintage gear. A c26 preamp and a Mac 2125 Power amp 125 watts per channel. The pre amp has a bass and treble control on it. Believe me, when I hit the bass up a notch or two I can rattle the windows if I crank it up. I also have an 80's Bang and Olufsen turntable. The only thing I have to do with it is to upgrade my cartridge to the best one for that model. I found one at the Sound Company in San Diego. I get a real warm sound from this stuff playing the Beatles, and kickass sounds from ACDC. I hear every single note from every single instrument on these vr33's.  It doesn't matter if I play yoyo ma or frank sinatra, chet atkins or boston these speakers are amazing.  However, above and beyond all this; Albert let me borrow some speaker cables from Delphi Aerospace, for a month.  Blew me away! The clarity doubled. It was absolutely encroyable!!!!!incredible. I only use about 12 watts to fill a huge living room and annoy my wife. I never realized how amazingly talented John Entwistle , and McCartney really were until I hooked these baby's up. I heard extra rifts from Pete Townsend that I never heard or paid attention to before. Queens Bohemian Rhapsody became monumental. I can't express enough what an impact cables had on my system and speakers, which up to that point I was thoroughly happy with. When I took them off, I had to crank the volume up about one and a half notches to hear what I was hearing before. I don't know an ohms from a watt, a hertz to a smertz, but I do know what sounds amazing.  The sound staging, the separation is awesome. Everything this man does is superior in quality. I love music but I never realized the absolute joy of music until I met and got involved with Albert Von Schweikert. Not only is he leaps and bounds ahead of the field, he is one of the most accomodating nice people you will ever meet. His staff is equally nice as well. Oh yes, I have placed these speakers 10 to 12 inches from the wall and because of the design the bass travels down the back of both corners and shoots out into the room. No dead spots with these speakers. :thumb: