5 Channel Amp

StevenACNJ

5 Channel Amp
« on: 2 Sep 2004, 07:54 pm »
Budget $5,000 - Doesnt have to be new

What would you buy to drive a 5 channel HT system and why?

Thanks in advance.

dogberry

5 Channel Amp
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2004, 08:41 pm »
I love my Anthem MCA50.  The new Anthem Statement P5 is even better!

Balanced from end to end, gobs of power, nicely neutral.

http://statement.anthemav.com/HTML/Products/P_Series/P_Series.html

tvyankee

5 Channel Amp
« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2004, 09:02 pm »
5 mono blocs.

i think you would get the most out of them.

mono blocs always sound better to me them multi ch amps.

they don't have to share the same transformer and they release their own heat from their own chassis.too much heat build up from multi ch amps. they never seem to sound that great when they are playing loud and never sound that great in two ch.

also monos sound great in two ch as well.

hope that helps.

Dan Driscoll

Re: 5 Channel Amp
« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2004, 09:13 pm »
Quote from: StevenACNJ

Thanks in advance.

Some questions first:

1. What's the rest of your equipment, especially speakers and processor?

2. Is this system strictly for home theater, or will it also be used for multi-channel and/or stereo music listening?

3. How big is the room?

4. Is this a dedicated HT/music room, or a living room/den?

Levi

« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2004, 09:30 pm »

Thanks in advance.

Hi Steven,

You could add a few more money and you could get the new Classe Audio 5200 5 ch amp.  Check their website for specs.  I think it is @$7.5K.

Another one that I have auditioned are Lexicon, PassLab X5 or Bryston SST amps which is right in your budget $5K.  Those companies only use high quality parts.  They are all fast, clean and neutral sounding.  My post experiences with them are nothing but excellent!  This is one of the most important part since you might be stuck with the amp for awhile. :D

Bryston is a company that I know that offers 20 years transferable warranty. :D

Levi

jimmyp58

5 Channel Amp
« Reply #5 on: 2 Sep 2004, 10:33 pm »
Without question, Earthquake CineNova Grande 5.  Some others mentioned are very, very nice but this is an incredible amp.  This is a 5 monoblock design encased in one unit.  I am a huge Bryston fan too; their 9B SST is an awesome amp in it's own right.  But if you want power, the CineNova's the ticket.  It's dead quiet and runs tepid.  Bryston has a 20 year transferable warranty and the Grande 5 is a 10 year transferable (but you have to get Earthquake's permission first).

Jim

Levi

5 Channel Amp
« Reply #6 on: 2 Sep 2004, 10:52 pm »
I have a Monstercable 3chx250watt amp I can sell you cheap :D

rbrb

5 Channel Amp
« Reply #7 on: 2 Sep 2004, 10:53 pm »
My suggestion would be the Blue Circle BC32. One of the more musical multi channel amps out there. No need to spend 5 grand in my opinion.

Check out this review

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/bluecircle_bc32_amplifier.htm

jermmd

5 Channel Amp
« Reply #8 on: 2 Sep 2004, 11:25 pm »
I love these questions.  There are so many great amps to fantasize about.  I went to Audiogon to see the present offerings and there must have been 15 in your price range that I would love to own.  There is also the new Emotiva amps from av123 and the Gemstone Audio Blue Diamond multichannel amps.  I think a better question is "which ones wouldn't you recommend?" because they're all good in this price range.  Maybe some are overpriced though?

Joe M.

Bingenito

5 Channel amps
« Reply #9 on: 2 Sep 2004, 11:48 pm »
I agree for $5K you can choose from several great amps. I own the Sim Titan and love it.

GemStone is nice as well. Sherbourn makes some lower cost amps that are nice.

StevenACNJ

« Reply #10 on: 3 Sep 2004, 10:39 am »
Quote from: Dan Driscoll

Thanks in advance.

Some questions first:

1. What's the rest of your equipment, especially speakers and processor?

2. Is this system strictly for home theater, or will it also be used for multi-channel and/or stereo music listening?

3. How big is the room?

4. Is this a dedicated HT/music room, or a living room/den?

Equipment:
1. Lex MC12 Pre/Pro Ver 3
2. Bpt 3.5 Signature
3. Tyler Acoustics Taylo's - 7U fronts, Center, Ref Monitors rears
4. Stryke Audio Thunder 12 subwoofer
4. Pioneer Elite DV-59AVI - ModWright creation
5. Music Hall CD-25 - Highly modified
6. Motorolla 6200 digital cable box
7. VH Audio PC's
8. Soon moving to VH Audio cryo Pulsar digital cables (on order)
7. DIY cryo speaker cables with Kimber PostMaster spades
9. Soon moving to VH Audio cryo Pulsar analog cables (on order)
10. Sony HD RPTV
11. Dedicated 20 amp mains

Room is 15X20 - Is a living room / den  not a dedicated theater

50 / 50 HT & music - I listen to everything in multichannel.

bubba966

5 Channel Amp
« Reply #11 on: 3 Sep 2004, 11:10 am »
I've been looking at Theta Dreadnaught's myself.

They seem to usually be configured for 5 channel use when I see them used (they can be 2-10 channel amps). Can't get a new 5X225w model for $5K, but a used 5X225w can be found for $3,500-$4,000.

StevenACNJ

5 Channel Amp
« Reply #12 on: 3 Sep 2004, 01:54 pm »
Over at AVS forums there was back in June 04 a big thread about the MN amp shootout:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=405527&highlight=gemstone

Amps in attendance:
1. Plinius Odeon
2. Theata Dread II
3. Gemstone
4. Carver ZR Digital (stock)
5. ATI 1502
6. Lexicon LX-7
7. Sherbourn 72100A
8. Bryston 9BSST

General top pics were: Plinius Odeon, Gemstome, Lexicon LX-7

Anyone know much about the Butler 5150? I have read a bit at Audio Asylum & Audio Circles  but really not much info out there.

wineau

Panasonic Digital Amp SA-XR50
« Reply #13 on: 3 Sep 2004, 02:27 pm »
Buy two or three of these sonic wonders for $250 each (5 channels @100 W each), and have a wonderful time.  I use two to bi-amp my main speakers and they are killer.  Sold over $5000 worh of high and gear and haven't looked back.

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
    • TweekGeek.com
5 Channel Amp
« Reply #14 on: 3 Sep 2004, 02:58 pm »
I think digital amplification is the future.  Unfortunately the future is very expensive.  Save your money for another year. I think some affordable, quality 5-channel digital amps will emerge.

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #15 on: 3 Sep 2004, 05:10 pm »
Equipment:
2. Bpt 3.5 Signature
7. VH Audio PC's
10. Sony HD RP ...

Very nice. Which amp will work best for you depends on your personal preferences, but in the $5K and under range you have a lot of excellent options. Here are a few that I would be seriously considering in that price range:

Pass Labs X5, 125 wpx x 5, balanced inputs;
Theta Dreadnaught II, 225 wpc x 5
Theta Dreadnaught, 200 wpc x 5
Krell KAV-1500, 300 wpc x5;
Proceed AMP 5, 125 wpc x 5
Meridian 558, 200 wpc x 5

Some of these are only available used in your price range, but all are outstanding amps. You can also find some excellent performers in the sub-$3K range, especially on the used market.

StevenACNJ

5 Channel Amp
« Reply #16 on: 3 Sep 2004, 07:36 pm »
Quote from: jimmyp58
Without question, Earthquake CineNova Grande 5.  Some others mentioned are very, very nice but this is an incredible amp.  This is a 5 monoblock design encased in one unit.  I am a huge Bryston fan too; their 9B SST is an awesome amp in it's own right.  But if you want power, the CineNova's the ticket.  It's dead quiet and runs tepid.  Bryston has a 20 year transferable warranty and the Grande 5 is a 10 year transferable (but you have to get Earthquake's permission first).

Jim

Jim,

Are you currently using an Earthquake CineNova Grande 5? Can you tell me more about the sound quality and also what you have compared it too?

Thanks

jimmyp58

5 Channel Amp
« Reply #17 on: 3 Sep 2004, 08:05 pm »
I am using it.  It is my surround amplifier but don't let this fool you.  First and foremost, I am a huge Bryston fan.  I am also a huge CineNova fan.  I started off by upgrading my mains to a Bryston 4B SST (then upgraded that to the 14B SST).  For blending (and performance of course), I added the 7B SST to power my center.  I was using a Rotel RMB-1095 for surrounds/center.  The amp was fraught with problems.  I read some on-line publications about the Grande 5 and found some current owners.  Found the right dealer and the 1095 was gone and the Grande 5 in.  I have never regretted this move.

It is dead-quiet, runs tepid, and is crystal clear.  I had some fun with it as I was convinced it sounded every bit as good as my Brystons.  I had a friend over and he changed around the interconnects.  In some instances, I couldn't distinguish the Bryston from the Grande 5!  But for music in particular, the Bryston really shined through though if I never owned a Bryston and only had the Grande 5 I'd be like a pig in new slop.  I am a drummer so I know all the distinguishing sounds of the various percussion instruments.  The Bryston was more natural than the Grande but it was with the subtleties rather than the grand.

I have referred many a guy to this amp and they have all been delighted with it's performance.  Most use it for their main (entire) amp and they don't see themselves ever needing to upgrade this piece of equipment.  This company is a relative unknown in home audio and truly is a 'sleeping-giant'.

Hope this answers your question.

Jim

Levi

« Reply #18 on: 4 Sep 2004, 12:47 am »
Equipment:
2. Bpt 3.5 Signature
7. VH Audio PC's
10. Sony HD RP ...

Steven,

I have forgotten you have a Lexicon MC12.  You might aswell get a Lexicon amplifier (LX5).  I have auditioned them both along with Sony 999ES and Sonus Faber Cremona speakers.  You get, Synergy. :D

Levi

ctviggen

5 Channel Amp
« Reply #19 on: 4 Sep 2004, 01:29 am »
Here's a Lexicon amp that's basically the Bryston 9B (and it's $2,500):

http://show.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/shm.pl?ampsmult&1017190969&item&Avalonav&4&5&6&http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fs_srch.plQQANYAAAApurlsrchAAEXYAAst26AAAAAAlexicon

I own this amp, and I like it.  However, I use it power my surrounds and not my main speakers.  So, I can't speak to how it operates in stereo.