5 Channel Amp

rbrb

Re: 5 Channel Amp
« Reply #20 on: 4 Sep 2004, 05:14 am »
Quote from: StevenACNJ
Budget $5,000 - Doesnt have to be new

What would you buy to drive a 5 channel HT system and why?

Thanks in advance.

Steven I will answer the why?

I use a six channel BC amp to run a 4.1 system. Rather than add more cables to bi-amp the front channels with the extra two amps I e-mailed Blue Circle and talked to the fellow that designed my amp and discussed a mod to bridge four of the channels internally. Reason #1 is because I really like dealing with companies like that. The ability to make a simple inquiry and end up talking to the founder and owner of the company.

Reason #2 is that it never fails to delight me everytime I listen to it. Blue Circle amps make music!. It can even make Dolby Digital and DTS sound musical, no small feat in my opinion. It also comes dressed for the party when it's movie time.

Their range is everthing from stereo tube amps to solid state monsters. Don't take my word for it though check them out for yourself. Take a look at what the professional audio press has to say about their products. There are some good deals used aswell. The thing that I have noticed  is guys sell in order to buy further up the line, not another brand.

Double Ugly

5 Channel Amp
« Reply #21 on: 4 Sep 2004, 03:56 pm »
Anyone know much about the Butler 5150? I have read a bit at Audio Asylum & Audio Circles  but really not much info out there.

I haven't personally heard it, but have read the same glowing reviews.  I believe the 5150 is the model Joe Jurzec (JAM'n Audio: 847-356-5161) has available for demo.  If I'm right, Joe is very, very high on the amp, especially at the price point.

Worth checking into, IMHO.

DU

levesque

5 Channel Amp
« Reply #22 on: 4 Sep 2004, 04:52 pm »
Anthem Statement P5.

2 power cords (needs 2 dedicated circuits to work), 5X325W, 140 pounds. A real monster... Crystal clear sound, no noise floor at all (totally silent in soft parts), almost always at room temperature, and build quality that is second-to-none (thick and heavy metal plates).

My 230 pounds electrician didn't notice it was an amp on the floor and did stand on the P5 for 30 minutes to do some wiring!  :mrgreen:

I'm using one since 4 months and it's one of the best buy I've made in a long time. Just to think that in Canada it did cost me LESS then a Bryston 9BSSt for 2X the power!  :o

Should definitely be on your list. My P5 can go head-to-head with my Bryston 4BSST w/o any problems.

Highly and totally recommend.

mca

5 Channel Amp
« Reply #23 on: 4 Sep 2004, 05:03 pm »
I have a Cinenova Grande powering my system now. I also have a Butler 5150 on order that is due to arrive on the 8th. I will be glad to compare the two after the Butler arrives and is broken in  :D

StevenACNJ

5 Channel Amp
« Reply #24 on: 4 Sep 2004, 05:25 pm »
Quote from: mca
I have a Cinenova Grande powering my system now. I also have a Butler 5150 on order that is due to arrive on the 8th. I will be glad to compare the two after the Butler arrives and is broken in  :D

MCA

I will be most interested in that comparison. What kind of audio system do you have. Why did you decide to try the Butler 5150?

mca

5 Channel Amp
« Reply #25 on: 4 Sep 2004, 07:36 pm »
I will be most interested in that comparison. What kind of audio system do you have. Why did you decide to try the Butler 5150?

I want to try my Gallos in my home theater room. Right now the setup consists of an Anthem AVM20, Cinenova Grande and a  Denon DVD2900.
The Gallos did not mate up well with the Cinenova amp as it was too bright up top. I have heard good things about the Butler and got a great deal on it, so I figured what the heck :D

If the system sounds good, I will take the next step and have my DVD2900 modded and hopefully have an all Gallo setup when they release the center and surround speakers.

StevenACNJ

5 Channel Amp
« Reply #26 on: 4 Sep 2004, 07:40 pm »
mca,

Talk to Dan @ ModWright about tweaking out your Denon player. Money well spent.

Would you PM me with the dealer & price for your Butler 5150.

Thanks

StevenACNJ

5 Channel Amp
« Reply #27 on: 5 Sep 2004, 03:30 pm »
MCA thanks for the PM.

Will be looking forward to your listening impression of the Butler 5150 amp.

mca

5 Channel Amp
« Reply #28 on: 5 Sep 2004, 03:35 pm »
Dan is the Man I Plan to use  :D

StevenACNJ

5 Channel Amp
« Reply #29 on: 10 Sep 2004, 10:20 am »
MCA,

Did you get your Butler? Initial thoughts?

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
5 Channel Amp
« Reply #30 on: 10 Sep 2004, 04:01 pm »
I have a Proceed BPA-3 in my system and love it.  My diddeebopping goodbuddy has an HPA-3 in his (driving new B&W 803s) and loves it and the ear-bleeding levels his system will attain.  

The BPA- and HPA- series poweramps were designed in the late '90s and sound QUITE nice.  Both are available in 2- and 3-channel versions, are direct, not capacitively, coupled, and have balanced inputs, too, if that matters.  Each is a multiple-channel mono amp, with separate toroidal power transformers for each channel.  The channels share only AC cable, (heavy) chassis, and turn-on circuitry.  The BPA ('B' means 'Basic') series is 125WPC into 8 and 250 into 4 while the HPA ('H' = High, as in High power) series is 250WPC into 8 and (I believe) 500 into 4.

Madrigal Audio Labs (now a part of Harmon Int'l Specialty Group) discontinued the Proceed line last year and as a result the amps, whether new, demo, or used, are HIGHLY affordable.  I don't know the sensitivity of your speakers and your preferred listening levels, but probably one of the power levels will be more than adequate.  If 125 watts per channel are enough, you could build a 2 + 3 system for under $3K.  I've seen several on Audiogon.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
5 Channel Amp
« Reply #31 on: 11 Sep 2004, 06:55 am »
Over at AVS forums there was back in June 04 a big thread about the MN amp shootout:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=405527&highlight=gemstone

Amps in attendance:
1. Plinius Odeon
2. Theata Dread II
3. Gemstone
4. Carver ZR Digital (stock)
5. ATI 1502
6. Lexicon LX-7
7. Sherbourn 72100A
8. Bryston 9BSST

General top pics were: Plinius Odeon, Gemstome, Lexicon LX-7

Anyone know much about the Butler 5150? I have read a bit at Audio Asylum & Audio Circles  but really not much info out there.
                                                                                                        I have 2 Butler 3150 tube hybrid amps and they are truely dynamic while at the same time being crystal clear,,,, quality's that lend themselves to both music and home theater. I've had Witchdoctor from NYC listen to my system and he verified my opinions (which is good as I have limited component experience) Still, everytime someone comes back staing the same opinions of these amps totally dynamic sonics, I smile. I have no doubts that MCA will too. :D  Regards, Robin

mca

5 Channel Amp
« Reply #32 on: 11 Sep 2004, 04:17 pm »
With only three days playing time on the Butler, here are my notes so far:

The amp does not get any hotter that a typical solid state unit
The metal case work is a bit flimsy, but the amp is very nice looking
The blue tube glow is cool!
It sounds more powerful than the 300wpc Cinenova Grande
Bass sounds deeper and tighter than the Grande
I hear better separation of instruments, like it does a better job of uncovering the layers of the music
The top end is very nicely detailed, but a bit bright
Midrange sounds great, makes Norah, Holly and Diana sound even sexier

Butler says the amp needs about two weeks of break-in. I don't believe the Gallo's are fully broken in either; they have maybe 200 hours on them. They are being fed a healthy diet of satellite blues and I plan to just let them play for a week or so.

Am I happy with the purchase? I keep looking at this amp that is half the size of the Grande and wondering how it can outperform it  :o

Anyone want a good deal on a brand new Cinenova Grande?

StevenACNJ

5 Channel Amp
« Reply #33 on: 11 Sep 2004, 06:04 pm »
Satfrat/mca

Do either of you have a pic of the inside of the Butler amp you could post or email me?

Thanks

satfrat

• Restricted
5 Channel Amp
« Reply #34 on: 11 Sep 2004, 06:49 pm »
Satfrat/mca

Do either of you have a pic of the inside of the Butler amp you could post or email me?

Thanks
                                                                                                        I personally don't but I went inside before I even hooked them up to install Herbies Halo's on the tubes(BK stated that there's very little internal vibration in these tubes as there's very little charge going thru them) and I was surprise at the simplicity of this design. There is 1 main torridal transfromer located to the left that's shielded from the channel panels(I further shielded the chamber with ERS). One of the reasons I like the 3150's is there's only 3 channels being drawn from this transformer instead of 5,,,, less drain, more power in reserve. ARGGG! :)  Everything in this design is modular and is easily replacable w/o having to sent the whole amp back(even tho BK Butler assured me that this design is bulletproof). Each channel is on 1 circuit board panel with at least 2 fuses that I can remember(maybe 3). There is a solid rubber gasket connecting each panel to the casing for vibration isolation. There is a  single tube per channel panel that is the ouput stage. There is very little room betwen the panels in the 5 channel 5150(another reason why I like the 3 channel 3150) but this doesn't seem to be of much concern cuz of what MCA alluded to,,, very little heat from these amps. :D The casing is the same between all these Butler models(5150,3150,2250) with only the front/rear plate being different. Personally, I replaced the large rubber feet with stainless steel cones,, my preference for all my components as I feel these babies really tighten things up plus my rack is dampened as it is. Hope some of these descriptions are helpful. Not being  circuit savy, that's about all I got. :roll:   Regards, Robin :D

StevenACNJ

5 Channel Amp
« Reply #35 on: 11 Sep 2004, 07:22 pm »
Satfrat

Thanks for that info

Do you have the dimensions and weight? - I cant seem to find that info.

Thanks

satfrat

• Restricted
5 Channel Amp
« Reply #36 on: 11 Sep 2004, 07:47 pm »
Satfrat

Thanks for that info

Do you have the dimensions and weight? - I cant seem to find that info.

Thanks
                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Dimensions are 17"w x 16"d x 8.5" h (7" w/o feet) and the 5150 weights in at 48lbs. 5150's power consumption is 1200w@ 8ohms, 1200w@ 4 ohms nominal; current draw 10/15A @ 8/4ohms respeectfully. Idle pwer consumption is 120watts and tthe s/n RATIO is >110db with <.1% @8ohms distortion. wer rating is 150wpc @ 8ohms & 225wpc @ 4 ohms (all 5 channels simultaneously) :D  Regards, Robin

mca

5 Channel Amp
« Reply #37 on: 12 Sep 2004, 12:14 am »
I don't have a pic of the inside either, I was tempted to have a peek under the hood, but could not find my allen wrenches  :?

Satfrat, have you experemented with power cords on the amps?

satfrat

• Restricted
5 Channel Amp
« Reply #38 on: 12 Sep 2004, 12:25 am »
Quote from: mca
I don't have a pic of the inside either, I was tempted to have a peek under the hood, but could not find my allen wrenches  :?

Satfrat, have you experemented with power cords on the amps?
                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Not really all tho I refused to use those stock IEC cords. :roll: I threw on VenHaus flavor 4  PC's right off the bat so I didn't do any comparisons. I found early on that I just LOVE Chris VeHaus's cable designs and have all 4 flavors in my system. It all just works for me and w/o those biting highs that your experiencing. Must be all them Bybee's,,,, :lol: Regards, Robin

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
5 Channel Amp
« Reply #39 on: 12 Sep 2004, 11:34 am »
Picture and info link for Butler 5150...click on home selection.....I see the blue glow.... :lol:
    (wow!! that mono amp looks really nice !!)[/list:u]