Outlaw Partial Open Baffle

ClefChef

Re: Outlaw Partial Open Baffle
« Reply #100 on: 4 Sep 2014, 12:20 am »
My understanding is that the 1.5's don't use a crossover per se.  Just an inductor on the bass driver which serves as low pass at 500Hz.  The main driver runs full range and gets signal straight from amp as with the single driver speakers.

My question about the design is in the balance of frequencies.  I don't understand electronics enough to know what changes in the FR curve there might be.  The second driver increases sensitivity substantially and reduces impedance to 4 ohm.  That will alter the sound of the main driver compared to a single driver version.  But does the second driver just augment everything below 500 or is the balance now shifted so that range, particularly 300 or so to 500 isn't too strong?  (I'm think in terms of the ported box design, not the OB, but don't know if that's relevant).

.....Peter

And that's what requires an actual audition. There may be some theoretical problems with OB+box design running in overlapping frequencies on the same axis pole, but I am not very well versed in all that phase-refraction-frequency stuff.
Tekton's solution was to put the second driver in phase at 90 degree angle behind the OB driver working in low-mid region, which was "sucking" lower frequency back wave from the OB driver, allowing higher dipole frequencies to disperse behind the baffle and directing lower frequencies out the front facing port. That design resulted in very wide and accurate soundstage with believable bass response from 4" driver.
Louis' design puts full range into OB and "augments" lower frequencies with additional driver. If there is no crossover for the OB driver there may be some phase problems affecting low frequency response, especially with the port facing back and speaker closer to the back wall. Who knows, maybe I don't really know what I'm talking about  :scratch:

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #101 on: 4 Sep 2014, 01:33 am »
And that's what requires an actual audition. There may be some theoretical problems with OB+box design running in overlapping frequencies on the same axis pole, but I am not very well versed in all that phase-refraction-frequency stuff.
Tekton's solution was to put the second driver in phase at 90 degree angle behind the OB driver working in low-mid region, which was "sucking" lower frequency back wave from the OB driver, allowing higher dipole frequencies to disperse behind the baffle and directing lower frequencies out the front facing port. That design resulted in very wide and accurate soundstage with believable bass response from 4" driver.
Louis' design puts full range into OB and "augments" lower frequencies with additional driver. If there is no crossover for the OB driver there may be some phase problems affecting low frequency response, especially with the port facing back and speaker closer to the back wall. Who knows, maybe I don't really know what I'm talking about  :scratch:

I think it just reflects what you said first.  It is difficult to know how it will sound without listening to it.  We can go by reviews, but that's second hand info.  It worked for me the first time.  I have his newer Super 7 XRS Alnico which is quite nice.  Nice enough that I want to move up Louis' line.  But, again, have to go on recommendations and opinions, this time about the improvement with his original Alnico instead of the RS7A and, to an even greater extent, with the 1.5 design. 

.....Peter

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #102 on: 4 Sep 2014, 04:02 am »
Hello ClefChef,

I checked out your gallery and if the system you are currently running is the one with the Wright Monos and OB4.5s, my guess is it would be very sweet sounding indeed.  Now all you'll have to do is try a set of Omega 1.5 Partial Open Backs so we can all know the differences.   :D

ClefChef

« Reply #103 on: 4 Sep 2014, 04:18 am »
Hello ClefChef,

I checked out your gallery and if the system you are currently running is the one with the Wright Monos and OB4.5s, my guess is it would be very sweet sounding indeed.  Now all you'll have to do is try a set of Omega 1.5 Partial Open Backs so we can all know the differences.   :D

Maybe if those are in the area and available for audition. I auditioned (bought and sold) a lot of speakers (Tekton and Omega) and always came back to OB4.5 as nothing sounded better in that particular setup. I just wish somebody would resurrect this wonderful design with better drivers and cabinetry. I spoke with Eric at Tekton about it and the answer was NO citing high cost and low interest (read - little profit). I hope the design is not proprietary and Omega could borrow some ideas  :roll:

As for the Outlaw - let's see what the current owners are saying, and if they hold on to them or try to "upgrade" those speakers soon  :wink:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #104 on: 4 Sep 2014, 05:55 am »
If there is no crossover for the OB driver there may be some phase problems affecting low frequency response, especially with the port facing back and speaker closer to the back wall. Who knows, maybe I don't really know what I'm talking about  :scratch:

There is a crossover, it's just a single inductor that rolls the driver off at 6 dB/oct from the xo point. Issues with interference depend on distance between the drivers and frequency, since they are crossed over low there won't be any issues in the overlap area. This is reasonably popular configuration to run, usually in 2.5 way instead of 1.5 way as slim tower speakers can't use large woofers so they use 2 of the same woofers, often with different crossover points. IMO, the "purity" and coherence single driver speakers offer isn't going to be taken away with this design. Happyrabbit owned both so you could check out his comparison too.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #105 on: 4 Sep 2014, 04:02 pm »
There is a crossover, it's just a single inductor that rolls the driver off at 6 dB/oct from the xo point. Issues with interference depend on distance between the drivers and frequency, since they are crossed over low there won't be any issues in the overlap area. This is reasonably popular configuration to run, usually in 2.5 way instead of 1.5 way as slim tower speakers can't use large woofers so they use 2 of the same woofers, often with different crossover points. IMO, the "purity" and coherence single driver speakers offer isn't going to be taken away with this design. Happyrabbit owned both so you could check out his comparison too.

I think we are dealing with semantics around terms like crossover and low pass filter, etc.  But saying the same thing.

Happyrabbit, I lost track, sorry.  You have the 1.5 OB.  What is the single driver model have or had?  Care to compare/contrast the two in sound?

Thanks.....

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #106 on: 4 Sep 2014, 04:34 pm »
I think we are dealing with semantics around terms like crossover and low pass filter, etc.  But saying the same thing.

Thanks.....

Yes! Most people think of a collection of parts that make up a crossover or filter, but it's not that, it's just a single component, an inductor. It is a crossover and a low pass filter, the simplest one possible.

ClefChef

« Reply #107 on: 4 Sep 2014, 05:54 pm »
Yes! Most people think of a collection of parts that make up a crossover or filter, but it's not that, it's just a single component, an inductor. It is a crossover and a low pass filter, the simplest one possible.

It's not a crossover - it's just a low pass filter. Crossover splits frequencies into bands insuring that there is little or no overlap in frequencies between drivers.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #108 on: 4 Sep 2014, 06:35 pm »
I hope the design is not proprietary and Omega could borrow some ideas.

It appears you are assuming by looking at the designs of the two speakers without hearing the Omega, that the Omega is inferior and in need of some of Tekton's technology.  What press I have read on the Tektons has been all positive, so I don't doubt it is (was) a good speaker, but to seriously compare the two, they need to go head to head...but then, why bother, the OB4.5 is discontinued.  :duh:

seikosha

« Reply #109 on: 4 Sep 2014, 07:17 pm »
What press I have read on the Tektons has been all positive, so I don't doubt it is (was) a good speaker, but to seriously compare the two, they need to go head to head...but then, why bother, the OB4.5 is discontinued.

Looking at the Tekton Website, it appears that the OB4.5 might be resurrected.  It's says that there is a model 4.5 V2 that's presently in the design phase.  Maybe sometime in the near future, we can get a relevant comparison.

ClefChef

« Reply #110 on: 4 Sep 2014, 08:24 pm »
Looking at the Tekton Website, it appears that the OB4.5 might be resurrected.  It's says that there is a model 4.5 V2 that's presently in the design phase.  Maybe sometime in the near future, we can get a relevant comparison.

They refer to the regular boxed and ported 4.5 monitor, similar to xr3

kirch

• "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"
    • http://www.vo-pro.com
« Reply #111 on: 1 Oct 2014, 03:00 pm »
Outlaw Partial Open Baffle (revised)

NOTE: PERSONAL EXPERIENCE TELLS ME THE OUTLAWS NEED AT LEAST 400 HOURS OF BREAK IN TIME.  STILL NOT BROKEN IN FOR THIS REVIEW.

Appearance wise, they're a gorgeous speaker, I have the level two finish in cherry (see my earlier post with pic).    The comments I get from everyone is typically "cool!"  I agree.  Price was around $1700 plus shipping.

I currently listen through an Audio Note OTO Sig 10 WPC  EL 34 integrated and an Audio Note 3.1 dac with a bunch of tubes, the sizes of which I can't recall.  I use an unmodded Squeezebox Touch to stream 44,100, 16 bit or better wav and aif's, no mp3's.  Vinyl is through a Music Hall 9.1 with a Linn Klyde low output moving coil.  Phono pre is Nova Phenomena II.  The room is 13' x 25' with 10' ceilings.  I'd call it somewhat acoustically lively, which I prefer.

During the past two or three months, I put in a couple hundred hours listening to Jazz, Blues, Rock, Classical, Bluegrass and some of my usual weird stuff (Terje Rypdal, Brian Eno, Jon Hassel, etc.).  Here are my thoughts.

IF you love jazz, acoustic guitar, piano, classical, and any sort of music that doesn’t rock out, you will be in love with the Outlaw Partial Open Baffle 1.5s. 

IF you need to play anything else, then you may want to look elsewhere in the Omega line, because for me the Outlaws fall a little short with rock.  And it’s not just because they’re a bit bass light - I have a decent quality sub hooked up to supplement the lows - there’s just something about their presentation of heavier stuff, and I don’t mean Metallica (although oddly enough, Black Sabbath's first album sounds great on these - go figure).  I mean Genesis, (older), Yes, Dire Straits, Roxy Music.  Maybe it's their more forward presentation than I'm accustomed to, I can't quite put my finger on it.  Swapping different speaker and interconnect cables does make a noticeable difference, and I tried numerous varieties, from the cheap to the not so cheap.  I can say working often with the sub crossover and volume helps a lot.  Seems obvious but when I found heavier tunes to be a big too forward or thin, I felt the need to bump sub volume and crossover up.  I have yet to find that perfect setting for it though.

What really worked for me?  Anything acoustic - John Abercrombie solo acoustic guitar was stunning, as was John McLaughlin, also Hope Sandoval, Miles Davis Seven Steps to Heaven, Muddy Waters Folk Singer, most Pat Metheny.  Chick Coreas Trio Music Live in Europe - especially the first three tunes - which really can get pretty “up”, are nothing less than breathtaking.  Absolutely perfect.  Right now I’m listening to Hope Sandoval’s “Lose Me On The Way” and it’s blowing me away. The Outlaws shine when presenting ethereal type tunes like these, this also applies to most of the ECM label library of which I have a ton.  Imaging, presentation, multidimensionality, all stellar.  The more relaxed stuff from Jeff Beck’s two mid ’70’s fusion albums - Blow by Blow and Wired were terrific too.  Some of the heavier stuff like Blue Wind and Scatterbrain was actually pretty good too, but not as nice as the mellower cuts. (Side Note - re the Jeff Beck stuff - isn't it cool to hear that 70's stuff you pretty much only heard in your car on your Pioneer SuperTuner 8-track player, on a good home system?)

These things present delicate and nuanced music with as much fun and accuracy as I can ever recall hearing.  As in “wow, they’re playing right in front of me”.  Want to hear Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong perform live, in person in you own living room?  Listen to the hi-res version of "Ella and Louis" through the Outlaw partial open backs.  Totally cool.  My wife even commented on how great it was.  Violins too.  The Stephane Grappelli - Oscar Peterson in Paris album was a borderline religious experience.  So depending on your music preferences, the Outlaw Partial Open Baffle speaker could very well be the last speakers you ever buy, they're that good.  Spend more time rocking' out?  Talk to Louis and ask about which speakers better handle the beefier tunes.

Finally, I’m fortunate to have another pair of nice speakers that I can slide in and out when I feel the need to play heavier stuff.  Is this the optimal setup for me?  Of course not.  But for now, I’m happy with it. 
« Last Edit: 5 Dec 2014, 09:02 pm by kirch »

seikosha

« Reply #112 on: 1 Oct 2014, 04:33 pm »
Thanks for posting that Kirch.  I really appreciated you taking the time to share your thoughts, which incidentally pretty much match how I feel about my RS5 based Omegas and basically, single driver speakers in general.

kirch

« Reply #113 on: 1 Oct 2014, 04:41 pm »
Something I'm not sure I presented strongly enough, is these must be accompanied by a sub woofer.  And the more you fiddle with your sub settings, the happier you'll be with rock.  I had supplemented "regular" speakers with a sub in the past, but with just enough volume and crossover to fill in the lows that my speakers didn't cover.  These need a much higher crossover point where the sub also interacts with the midrange.  In my opinion it helps with the natural forwardness of this type speaker while rounding out the presentation.

FireGuy

« Reply #114 on: 1 Oct 2014, 06:13 pm »
Something I'm not sure I presented strongly enough, is these must be accompanied by a sub woofer.  And the more you fiddle with your sub settings, the happier you'll be with rock.  I had supplemented "regular" speakers with a sub in the past, but with just enough volume and crossover to fill in the lows that my speakers didn't cover.  These need a much higher crossover point where the sub also interacts with the midrange.  In my opinion it helps with the natural forwardness of this type speaker while rounding out the presentation.

I'll have to generally endorse what is being said here.   After living with my Super 3U's for some months I finally decided to re-examine my sub settings.  As it turns out I now get a more "fleshed" out presentation when I set the speakers to large instead of small in the AVR and when I slightly increased the volume on the sub.  My plan is to add another Boston sub in December.  Too many nulls in the room and this should correct it... easy enough.  Xover I found at 60Hz to still be optimum.  That may change however when sub 2 is placed in room.  And yes, acoustic pieces are absolutely STUNNING with the speakers, high or low volume.

kirch

« Reply #115 on: 6 Oct 2014, 06:18 pm »

At the risk of wearing out my welcome in this string, a couple additional observations.

Initially Louis had told me that the Outlaw Open Backs sound great right outta the box, but that 50 hours of break in should be sufficient.  My guess is closer to 150-200 hours, possibly even more.  I've read many arguments regarding break-in period vs. ears simply growing accustomed to each speaker's personality.  I buy into the combination of the two.  That being said, the Open Backs are now better handling a bigger variety of music with more authority and clarity - rock specifically.  I'm enjoying heavier music than just a week ago when I posted my long-winded review in which I identified this as a shortcoming. 

Also, something I forgot to mention last week.  If your amp allows for 4 or 8 ohm speaker connections, try the 8 ohm.  In my system 8 sounds better than 4.  Soundstage broadened with more definition.  This is something I've tried with other speakers over the years with little or no difference between the two.  Was surprised at how this change from 4 to 8 made such a noticeable improvement.  I'm not saying it's perfect now, just better with time.

Lastly, the deep Omega 8 shown on the Omega site is now in my living room.  Stylish match to the cherry speakers.  Took a couple hours to find just the right spot for it, as I was unfamiliar with down-firing subs.  It's now about 8" from the side wall and 1.5' from the rear wall.   

happyrabbit

« Reply #116 on: 7 Oct 2014, 02:18 am »
Kirch,

Thanks for the update.   Would you consider louis's new 12 inch sub  ??   kongos  lunatic / disclosure settle sound absolutely amazing on my setup.   Your review is well written, thoughtful and way less rambling than a 6moons review  :thumb:

pstrisik,

See page 4.  I have owned the following :  super 7xrs,  3xrs,  1.5 OB, and the h1 from holistic audio.

http://www.holisticaudio.com/HolisticAudio/H1_(Discontinued).html

UPDATE

i recently moved to oregon last week.   I have attached pics of my setup with a new preamp.   I sold my tap-x for a ecc99 based preamp from Elliott Studio Arts.  Magnetic coupled in / out.   I am lovin this pre with my 2a3 amp.   I find myself listening to cd's I don't even like.   

Dwight

« Last Edit: 7 Oct 2014, 01:50 pm by happyrabbit »

kirch

« Reply #117 on: 7 Oct 2014, 01:41 pm »

... I sold my tap-x for a ecc99 based preamp from Elliott Studio Arts.  Magnetic coupled in / out.   I am lovin this pre with my 2a3 amp.  I find myself listening to cd's I don't even like.

Dwight

That's when you know the system is perfect!  And yeah, I'd consider the 12" sub, but since I just added the 8" a couple days back, don't think I'm going there. 

happyrabbit

« Reply #118 on: 3 Nov 2014, 06:56 am »
A shameless plug for these speakers.... a pair is available !

http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/omegaoutlawopen1.html

You will have no regrets.  Awesome Speakers if you have the room.

Dwight

11/15/19 - no longer available !!

« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2014, 05:21 am by happyrabbit »

Audiophile58

« Reply #119 on: 26 Nov 2014, 03:09 am »
Hello guys ,I was a little skeptical when I first bought these outlaw 1.5 open baffle .with just a 5 inch driver
How accurate can this be or even with the ported woofer will it give any Bass.i was just running a  small
Amplifier the Excellent Red wine Signature 15 which is 30 wpc into 4 ohms .The speakers are 98 db efficient
My wife likes concerts .and opera not so much for me but we put on Pavorotti live in Central Park .
What a performance the dipole speakers soared.the ambiance is like a Much much bigger speaker.and
Sound incredible.i have had several $5k plus speakers in the past couple of years the revel f208 comes to mind
.i am using a 12 inch powered sub for the last octave or so .the voices were in the room no BS it sounded real
As in live my brother popped in and he too was very impressed..i then put on a queen live in Montreal
Excellent rock brian May kicks ass a great guitarist very under rated as is the bassist and Freddie Mercury
Let me tell you these speakers being time and phase coherent and these 2 nd generation drivers I was getting consistent db levels over 100 db with 104 peaks and it sounded Excellent .this is too loud for average listening
This is ear damage level .we did play this at about 95 db on average .i then played the piano guys excellent
Piano Cello  composers with a jazz twist the yamaha piano  had quickness and snap and you can hear and feel the petals of the Yamaha grand ,and the Cello the horse hair strings you can feel them sliding off the bow.
Just changing a digital cable to a new one and power cord to my dac with these speakers I could hear every
Change .these speakers let you hear what is on the recording .i will recommend if you want this to be a speaker  For all rooms up yo 20 ft a sub woofer or two is highly recommended if you want to use these speakers for home theatre or music found into the last octave.. On their own they will do roughly mid 40 hz without any problem. A powered sub is allways a plus it eases up the low end to play even more at ease at higher volumes i Xover around 70-80 hz
It is all up to your room . Highly recommended.one more thing my friends Harbeths at $4k  these Outlaws speakers picked up a lot of low level information barely there on the Harbeths or as clear sounding.so much for advertisements and their complex
Xovers. I think not having a Xover gives a sonic purity  you don't realize you are missing untill you experience it .this Outlaw 1.5 is Highly Recommended   .Paul L.