The design is certainly reminiscent of the Tekton OB 4.5, except the Tekton has the bass reflex port facing forward, and the bass driver is facing the ceiling - perhaps providing some of the benefits of Duke LeJeune and James Romeyn's recent LCS effects models.
They were well received by Enjoythemusic.com 5 years ago:
The Tekton OB 4.5 and the Omega OpenBack 1.5 are, other than in (very) general appearance, completely different speakers. With few exceptions, all cars have four wheels, but they can vary greatly in many ways.
Louis developed his 1.5 way concept around seven years ago, and the RS5 driver is the result of many painstaking hours of development, not just bought off the shelf or modded with some paint or compound in order to call it his own.
The Omega OpenBack features the following:
1) True single driver, single point source, with one driver (low frequency) cutting off at a frequency where it is no longer a point source.
2) Perfect driver integration with both drivers being mounted on the same plane (the front baffle) shooting in the same direction in phase with each other (of course the open driver operates as a dipole, but high frequencies are cut back due to the magnet structure being in the way, which is good.
3) Both drivers are the proprietary U.S. made RS5 OmegaCone 4.5" driver, not a Chinese off the shelf Fostex etc.
4) The 1-1/4 inch thick front baffle is made of birch multiply sandwiched between two layers of MDF, then veneered the hard (and best) way - wet and then into a veneer press; the same goes for the cabinet portion.
5) Where the baffle and the cabinet join, the fasteners are hidden and the baffle at that point is two inches thick. It is also relieved in the back to allow the driver to breathe.
6) The cabinet portion is built the same way his speaker cabinets are built. They can withstand a one story drop onto pavement and don't break.
7) Rear ported for excellent room coupling.
If one peruses some of the European speaker websites, the OpenBack 1.5 is equivalent to speakers in the $5000 - $10000 range.