Omega Curious

jupiterboy

Omega Curious
« on: 16 Jun 2014, 12:43 pm »
Hi Louis and Omega Circle,

I am very much a coherent speaker guy, and have recently had a failure of my old Vandys. Although the driver has been repaired, I am left wondering how much more life they have, as the caps are 20 years old and probably have 40 years of use on them in hours.

Anyway, I am beginning the process of listening to any and all coherent speakers that I can hear, building a short list. The only real contender for replacement is the Reference 3A Veena BE.

I would really like to hear some Omegas, however it seems these are generally made to order. Are there ever shows, or ways to have a test listen first? I am in no particular hurry.

Also, I currently use an Eastern Electric M88, which is a reasonable valve amp, but one that may not have the finesse for these speakers. I have an odd shaped room with 13ft between the front and back wall.

Any suggestions for getting a listen, or, as to which model whould be best are appreciated.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Omega Curious
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2014, 01:39 pm »
If you're in Colorado you are welcome to stop by.  :green:

jupiterboy

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2014, 01:55 pm »
If you're in Colorado you are welcome to stop by.  :green:

Half joking, but it is a kind offer, and there is another speaker manufactured in CO that would be on my list. What city are you in? What Omega model do you have?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2014, 02:22 pm »
I have the Super 3 XRS w a 10" sealed sub, EL34 SET amp... in Lafayette, a few miles east of Boulder.

You are welcome to stop by and hear my system, just send me a PM. What other speakers are you looking at here in CO? I heard PranaFidelity's fifty90 at last year's RMAF, they are worth checking out.... http://www.pranafidelity.com/   Sanders, Avalon, PS Audio and lots of other audio companies are in the Denver area too.

jupiterboy

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2014, 02:54 pm »
Green Mountain, specifically. I’ll read up on the others you mention.

jupiterboy

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2014, 08:01 pm »
Spoke with Louis. My best guess is that the Super 7 Alnico XRS is going to me the one for my space. Anyone have these? I would love to know how you have them set up and what you are driving them with.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2014, 09:15 pm »
Spoke with Louis. My best guess is that the Super 7 Alnico XRS is going to me the one for my space. Anyone have these? I would love to know how you have them set up and what you are driving them with.

That's what I'm running.  Check my thread "Just saying hi => Omega questions => Super 7 XRS on the way! => Now Here!!" for way too much info, my experiences etc.  Currently running with single ended pentode 5wpc Dennis Had Inspire amp with 6V6 power tubes.

Guy 13

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2014, 02:12 am »
That's what I'm running.  Check my thread "Just saying hi => Omega questions => Super 7 XRS on the way! => Now Here!!" for way too much info, my experiences etc.  Currently running with single ended pentode 5wpc Dennis Had Inspire amp with 6V6 power tubes.

Hi pstrisik.
I was wondering how come a 6V6 pentode connected tube can sound better
(According to what you wrote) than a EL34 triode connected ? ? ?
The EL34 as the reputation of the best sounding triode connected tube.

Guy 13

pstrisik

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2014, 04:22 am »
Hi pstrisik.
I was wondering how come a 6V6 pentode connected tube can sound better
(According to what you wrote) than a EL34 triode connected ? ? ?
The EL34 as the reputation of the best sounding triode connected tube.

Guy 13

Guy......   The EL34 is a pentode also, not a triode.  So no triode mode.  Dennis is currently a strong believer in designing single ended pentode amps that run Pentodes "the way they were designed to be run".  I'm new to both tubes, so I don't have much preconception.  I will go back to listen with the EL34 (and the KT150's) again, no doubt.  The 6V6's just hit me hard the none of the other tubes did, so I'm drawn to listen to them for a while.  But all this audio perception is very fluid.  So I will likely contradict myself in short order!  :)

...........Peter

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jun 2014, 04:41 am »
Guy......   The EL34 is a pentode also, not a triode.  So no triode mode.  Dennis is currently a strong believer in designing single ended pentode amps that run Pentodes "the way they were designed to be run".  I'm new to both tubes, so I don't have much preconception.  I will go back to listen with the EL34 (and the KT150's) again, no doubt.  The 6V6's just hit me hard the none of the other tubes did, so I'm drawn to listen to them for a while.  But all this audio perception is very fluid.  So I will likely contradict myself in short order!  :)

...........Peter

pentode can be wired as power triodes...

Guy 13

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jun 2014, 05:37 am »

...........Peter

Hi Peter.
I have been in audio stuff, mainly tubes, for the past 45 years,
therefore I know quite well that an EL34 is not a triode
and that a EL84 is a pentode.
However, I can give you two examples of manufacturers who wire
pentode into triode.
Decware SE84C+ (EL84) and Wright Audio Lolita (EL34).
A pentode wired into a triode give surprising results.
I am not saying that pentode cannot sound as good as a triode,
but up to now,
I did not hear pentodes sounding as good as triode
or pentode wired as triode.
I have a Niteshade Audio NS10 with 6L6 wired as pentode
and it's far from sounding as good as my Decware EL84 SET.
That's my opinion based on my experience,
results and opinions can vary with different pair of ears.

Guy 13
The guy with 66 years old ears.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jun 2014, 11:22 am »
Decware also have a EL34 Triode amp (SE34).

Guy 13

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jun 2014, 11:30 am »
Decware also have a EL34 Triode amp (SE34).

Thanks FULLRANGEMAN.
I forgot about that one.
Now that I think about it,
are you sure that the Decware with the EL34
is connected in triode mode ?

Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 17 Jun 2014, 11:35 am »
Thanks FULLRANGEMAN.
I forgot about that one.
Now that I think about it,
are you sure that the Decware with the EL34
is connected in triode mode ?

Guy 13
Yes, Decware sign it with the ''Hazen Grid Mod'' (triode mode for 6W).
http://www.decware.com/newsite/SE34I.htm

Guy 13

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jun 2014, 11:46 am »
Yes, Decware sign it with the ''Hazen Grid Mod'' (triode mode for 6W).
http://www.decware.com/newsite/SE34I.htm
Hi FULLRANGEMAN.
Thanks for the link,
you are a good man
and I am a lazy man for not looking it up all by myself.

Guy 13

pstrisik

« Reply #15 on: 17 Jun 2014, 02:08 pm »
Yes, but.......   The amp that I listened to the EL34's and 6V6's in is a SEP.  Your original question was how I could evaluate the EL34 as better than a 6V6.  The EL34 was designed as a pentode and I am running it in a SEP amp.  I would need a different amp to run it as a triode and then not sure if it could be compared to the 6V6 with all else equal.

jupiterboy

« Reply #16 on: 17 Jun 2014, 02:18 pm »
OK thread jackers…  :lol:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #17 on: 17 Jun 2014, 02:52 pm »
OK thread jackers…  :lol:

Not only that but it's a close duplicate of the same thing in another thread...   :lol:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=122752.120

jupiterboy

« Reply #18 on: 17 Jun 2014, 02:57 pm »
Let’a see some in-room pink noise measurements on some of these speakers!

pstrisik

« Reply #19 on: 17 Jun 2014, 03:03 pm »
Ok thread police...  :lol: