AURALiC ARIES

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: AURALiC ARIES
« Reply #80 on: 2 Apr 2015, 10:48 am »
Thanks for the tip Anand.  Well, I went ahead and ordered an Aries today  :D :duh: :green: - gulp.  Are you also saying, Anand, that it sounds better wirelessly compared to wired ethernet?

Yes.

Best,
Anand.

ebag4

« Reply #81 on: 2 Apr 2015, 12:44 pm »
What I use: http://www.amazon.com/QNAP-HS-210-Fanless-Storage-Supported/dp/B00H3VBKBM

Look at my systems page. I found that a direct USB connected HDD to the Aries was sonically worse than having the Aries wirelessly receive the audio data from your router. The router itself is directly connected via Ethernet to my QNAP NAS which holds 2 SSD's formatted in JBOS. I also installed Minimserver on the QNAP, so the Aries can "see" the audio data. The SSD's aren't necessary since costs can be prohibitive with larger SSD's. I have found that the Aries can receive firmware updates wirelessly but it is slower. If too slow then I just connect an Ethernet cable when needed directly to my router/LAN.

Best,
Anand.
Thanks Anand.  I am not familiar with JBOS, what format is that?

Best,
Ed

toddbagwell

« Reply #82 on: 2 Apr 2015, 01:30 pm »

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #83 on: 2 Apr 2015, 02:36 pm »
Yep. JBOD. Just A Bunch Of Drives. This makes for example, two drives act as one larger drive. No backup with this, so you will need another solution for that.

ebag4

« Reply #84 on: 2 Apr 2015, 06:14 pm »
Thanks guys.  I thought it was likely something like that, but when I googled JBOS I didn't come up with anything useful.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #85 on: 2 Apr 2015, 06:48 pm »
Thanks guys.  I thought it was likely something like that, but when I googled JBOS I didn't come up with anything useful.

JBOS is a result of the poor autocorrect feature on my iPhone, LOL :green:

Best,
Anand.

ebag4

« Reply #86 on: 4 Apr 2015, 12:48 am »
I received my Aries, decided to reset it and now I can't get it to do anything (are there any real instructions for this thing?).  I could see it from the Lightning ds app before I reset but now i can't get past this:

I can't even find what this symbol means, help!

BTW, I have it connected via Ethernet cable.

Thanks,
Ed

srb

« Reply #87 on: 4 Apr 2015, 01:16 am »
I received my Aries, decided to reset it and now I can't get it to do anything (are there any real instructions for this thing?).

Although the Aries Quick Start Guide is available for computer download, it appears the detailed operation manual is only found in the Lightning DS app under User's Guide section.

Steve

ebag4

« Reply #88 on: 4 Apr 2015, 01:23 am »
Thanks Steve, yes, I have already read that. Unfortunately it covers only the app functions and not the Aries setup.  I am concerned that resetting the unit has created an issue with the unit.  It could be seen and controlled before I reset but did not output and sound to the vega via USB, that is why I reset it in the first place.

groovybassist

« Reply #89 on: 4 Apr 2015, 01:46 am »
ebag4:

That symbol means it's in AP mode and acting as it's own access point. On your iPad, you should see a network called Aries-Lightning; connect your iPad to that network and it will see the Aries and allow you to configure it to connect to your normal wireless network. Once that's done, press Exit on the remote, then reconnect your iPad to your normal network. Lightning DS should now see the Aries. Note, when configuring the Aries, you need to select USB output. Once connected to your wireless network, you can remove the Ethernet cable. Hope this helps.

Mike

groovybassist

« Reply #90 on: 4 Apr 2015, 01:53 am »
One more thing - when connecting to the Aries in AP mode, all the configuration stuff I mentioned is done in Lightning DS by selecting the Aries device on the left side of the screen. The configuration info is also in the Lightning DS manual, which is available within the Lightning DS app. I had the same problem connecting to it when I got mine. It will be more stable if you can set it up on its own 5ghz wireless network.

Mike

ebag4

« Reply #91 on: 4 Apr 2015, 01:56 am »
Thanks Mike!  That did it, I thought it would initially connect via the Ethernet connection.  I really appreciate the info.  I am getting a disc error on the external drive from my Mac Mini but I will get that straightened out.  Streaming a classic rock channel now so at least I am getting sound. :thumb:

Best,
Ed

santacore

« Reply #92 on: 4 Apr 2015, 01:59 am »
It will be more stable if you can set it up on its own 5ghz wireless network.

I met one of the Wang's(Auralic creators) at the CanJam last weekend. Once of his sales men told me that I really should make sure my router was 5ghz for best performance.

groovybassist

« Reply #93 on: 4 Apr 2015, 02:22 am »
Ed:

Glad you got it running. I had the same problem when I got mine and tripped over a post somewhere that said what to do. They really should publish some basic connectivity instructions.

Mike

ebag4

« Reply #94 on: 4 Apr 2015, 03:19 am »
Ed:

Glad you got it running. I had the same problem when I got mine and tripped over a post somewhere that said what to do. They really should publish some basic connectivity instructions.

Mike
Thanks, me too.  The hard drive issue was multiple partitions.  Formatted a 120G SSD USB powered with about 20 SACD rips copied to it, plugged it in and Lightning DS had all of that info in just a few seconds.  Loving the UI, much better than Audirvana+.

Question, my Aries is the version with the Femto Clocks, however there doesn't seem to be a sleep mode like there is with the Vega, am I simply not finding it?  Does the Aries automatically keep power on the Femtos all of the time?

Thanks,
Ed
« Last Edit: 4 Apr 2015, 02:02 pm by ebag4 »

ebag4

« Reply #95 on: 4 Apr 2015, 07:27 pm »
I thought I would mention that once Mike helped me past my initial setup issue the rest of the configuration/operation was very simple and intuitive.  I love the UI, a nice step up from what I have been using.

I have fed it with a directly connected SSD and via my wireless network with my laptop running MinimServer, my router is a Linksys E1550 running at 2.4G only, no 5G option.  Everything is running without issue.

So far the sound has been good with both the USB drive and network, I am hearing very little difference between them.  The sound from the Aries is very close to my battery powered Macmini (120G internal SSD) running Audirvana Plus, however I would at this point give the Mac a slight edge in emotional connection.  I am wondering what other tweaks may take the Aries up a notch.  Some have stated that a dedicated network is best, I may end up trying this but am wondering why that may be.  In my case I am in a rural area without a lot of interference from other wireless systems other than my own network of course, does that mean that a separate network is less of an advantage? 

Regardless the great UI and ability to use airplay when my son comes home from school and wants to play new tunes from his Macbook pro makes the package very attractive to me.  However for me, in the end the best sound will win out.  I hope anyone who has tweaks or anything else they would like to share will pipe in, I am anxious to get the best sound out of this package.

BTW, I am connecting both the Mac Mini and the Aries with the same TotalDac USB cable to an Auralic Vega.

Best,
Ed

groovybassist

« Reply #96 on: 4 Apr 2015, 09:23 pm »
Ed:

I'm not aware of any sleep mode - I have the same version and leave it powered on 24x7.  After experimenting a bit, I've found the best sound in my setup is streaming wireless from my NAS.  I originally started with a USB drive plugged directly into the Aries, but over time simply found streaming wireless to have more involving sound and enjoyed listening more.  In terms of network, I think a separate 5ghz network ensures the most robust wireless connection - doubt it would have any effect on sound quality, unless your current network is suffering from dropouts, etc.  If you plan to stream hi-Rez music wirelessly, especially DSD, I think you'll need the 5ghz network.

I don't personally know of any real tweaks you can make beyond cables, isolation from vibration and power filtering.  Enjoy the Aries!

Mike

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #97 on: 4 Apr 2015, 11:57 pm »
Ed:

I'm not aware of any sleep mode - I have the same version and leave it powered on 24x7.  After experimenting a bit, I've found the best sound in my setup is streaming wireless from my NAS.  I originally started with a USB drive plugged directly into the Aries, but over time simply found streaming wireless to have more involving sound and enjoyed listening more.  In terms of network, I think a separate 5ghz network ensures the most robust wireless connection - doubt it would have any effect on sound quality, unless your current network is suffering from dropouts, etc.  If you plan to stream hi-Rez music wirelessly, especially DSD, I think you'll need the 5ghz network.

I don't personally know of any real tweaks you can make beyond cables, isolation from vibration and power filtering.  Enjoy the Aries!

Mike

+1.

Best,
Anand.

ebag4

« Reply #98 on: 5 Apr 2015, 12:33 am »
Thanks Guys.  If I am not experiencing dropouts with DSD files over my current wireless network I am wondering if adding a separate network for audio only will make any audible difference.  I am using Exact mode on the Vega with no issue.

I am currently using A PI Audio Majik Buss for my power conditioning and a TotalDac USB cable, I guess that leaves isolation from vibration.  I will work on that.

For those of you with an Aries and a Vega, is there a way to leave the Aries on and still put the Vega in sleep mode via remote?  Probably not, I may have to resort to physically pushing the power button on the Vega...the horror..... :lol:

Best,
Ed

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #99 on: 5 Apr 2015, 05:59 am »
For those of you with an Aries and a Vega, is there a way to leave the Aries on and still put the Vega in sleep mode via remote?  Probably not, I may have to resort to physically pushing the power button on the Vega...the horror..... :lol:

Best,
Ed
Other than getting up close to the Vega; no.  However, I leave my Vega & ARIES on 24/7 and there isn't anything to worry about by doing do.  The most important part on both pieces is to put the OLED screens to sleep.  That's it.