AURALiC ARIES

TomS

Re: AURALiC ARIES
« Reply #120 on: 6 Apr 2015, 05:54 pm »
Thanks. That helps a lot. Couple more questions for now, I think.

So you use DS Lightning when you use the iPad to control it. But if you just want to use a macbook air laptop over the network, is there some different software to put onto your laptop to control it? Or do you have to access the iMac directly over the network to browse, search, etc.

I guess I'm wondering what would be involved with controlling it from a laptop. What sort of software and what steps would be involved? Eventually, I may get the ipad, but I want to understand first how it would work with the laptop.
Sorry, I have not tried it from a browser. As I understand it, that's something that can be done, though not nearly as functional.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #121 on: 6 Apr 2015, 06:20 pm »
If one uses a Mac and wants to control their library they can download Kazoo.  It hasn't worked on Mac until now.  I've used Kinsky which was great but it didn't have a search function (crazy) but Kazoo does.

http://www.linn.co.uk/software

Odal3

« Reply #122 on: 7 Apr 2015, 04:04 am »
And even if my Squeezebox continues to function, when I wind up getting a new computer, I may not I may not be able to find the Squeezebox Server software to install to be able to control it any more.

I have been researching options for a while, and no need to worry if you only want to replace existing software. There are many free open source alternatives. See for example Daphile (http://www.daphile.com/), which is based on the open source Squeezebox Server, SqueezePlay and Linux or why not check out one based on MPD. In fact, even if one want to go the route of one of the more expensive products such as the Auralic Aries it may not be a bad idea to try out a couple of different options to see which user interfaces works best for yourself.

nnck

• Music Collector, Audiophile, in that order :)
« Reply #123 on: 7 Apr 2015, 05:00 pm »
I'm a bit afraid of derailing this thread, but...

I have been researching options for a while, and no need to worry if you only want to replace existing software. There are many free open source alternatives. See for example Daphile (http://www.daphile.com/), which is based on the open source Squeezebox Server, SqueezePlay and Linux or why not check out one based on MPD. In fact, even if one want to go the route of one of the more expensive products such as the Auralic Aries it may not be a bad idea to try out a couple of different options to see which user interfaces works best for yourself.

So this software can work even now to turn my computer into a server and control my Squeezebox? I ask because even though Squeezebox server software is working on my iMac, it wont install properly on my Macbook Air which has Mavericks OS. It hasnt been much a a problem for me yet, since, as I mentioned, I just connect to my iMac through the local network and use it that way. But I'd be interested in I could download and install something like this to do the same from my laptop. Is that what this is?

Odal3

« Reply #124 on: 8 Apr 2015, 05:06 am »
I'm a bit afraid of derailing this thread, but...

So this software can work even now to turn my computer into a server and control my Squeezebox? I ask because even though Squeezebox server software is working on my iMac, it wont install properly on my Macbook Air which has Mavericks OS. It hasnt been much a a problem for me yet, since, as I mentioned, I just connect to my iMac through the local network and use it that way. But I'd be interested in I could download and install something like this to do the same from my laptop. Is that what this is?

That is only one option of many solutions out there and I 100% agree with Mike and Phil that more companies should make it easier to integrate with already great solutions out there. I only picked that one since it is similar to what you were describing and has had some recent debate over at computeraudiophile. This particular solution is a headless server (no monitor) you put in a corner and control it via apps. I have only briefly used it myself and have no experience with macs so I can unfortunately not help you there. Personally I have been exploring a lot of MPD (music player daemon server) based solutions which have many great client apps (for example Volumio, RUNE,and even media players such as XBMC). MPD is also the software running the SALK streamer and the Bryston BDP player. There are many good options and from a software side perhaps a more of a preference thing (assuming it is set-up correctly from an audio point of view). I believe there are other squeezebox based options as well and if you search around in the audiocircle and other forums you will find some discussions on the topic.

Back to the thread: Mike - forgot to say thanks for sharing the well-written review. Assuming the apps will be fixed, it sounds like a nice product if one doesn't want to have "dedicated, silent computer running".

TomS

« Reply #125 on: 8 Apr 2015, 02:29 pm »
I came from several years of using an Alix Voyage Linux player via MPD, as well as a few Vortexbox's, and it is far from plug and play. I found the Aries much better sonically and the Auralic DS Lightning UI is simpler and more effective than the various MPD UI's I used on OSX and iOS. YMMV.

ebag4

« Reply #126 on: 13 Apr 2015, 04:57 pm »
Has anyone heard when the new Lightning DS revision might be released to allow for streaming from Samba devices?  I am still looking into my permanent networking options and Samba would allow me to utilize some equipment I already own.

Thanks,
Ed

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #127 on: 13 Apr 2015, 07:11 pm »
Has anyone heard when the new Lightning DS revision might be released to allow for streaming from Samba devices?  I am still looking into my permanent networking options and Samba would allow me to utilize some equipment I already own.

Thanks,
Ed
May is the latest. 

ebag4

« Reply #128 on: 14 Apr 2015, 12:03 am »

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #129 on: 14 Apr 2015, 12:04 am »
Thanks.
Don't hold me to it though.   ;)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #130 on: 14 Apr 2015, 10:57 am »
While you were sleeping your ARIES should've updated to 2.4.

ebag4

« Reply #131 on: 14 Apr 2015, 11:29 pm »
Yes it did!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #132 on: 14 Apr 2015, 11:59 pm »
For those that care here are the release notes. 

orientalexpress

« Reply #133 on: 21 Apr 2015, 11:17 pm »
I finally breakdown and bought ARIES .so far it pretty sweet.bought a new router since old one don't work with Aries .i bought fututech gt pro 2 usb cable ,still waiting for Gustard X12 Dac to arrive.in the mean time I use oppo 105 for the DAC.it sound pretty good  :thumb:.i have to see where streaming digital take me.

Lapsan

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #134 on: 21 Apr 2015, 11:25 pm »
I finally breakdown and bought ARIES .so far it pretty sweet.bought a new router since old one don't work with Aries .i bought fututech gt pro 2 usb cable ,still waiting for Gustard X12 Dac to arrive.in the mean time I use oppo 105 for the DAC.it sound pretty good  :thumb: .i have to see where streaming digital take me.

Lapsan
Congrats!   :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #135 on: 24 Apr 2015, 01:19 am »

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #136 on: 24 Apr 2015, 02:34 am »
Informative.

http://www.audiostream.com/content/auralic-aries-part-2

Quite. Especially with the comparisons to the Antipodes and Aurender servers. And with the fervor of Aries updates, sonics will continue to improve. Imagine if your car could be upgraded like that, and for free! From that standpoint, there is a tremendous value with owning the Aries.

Thanks!

Anand.

abernardi

« Reply #137 on: 24 Apr 2015, 04:49 am »
 :icon_lol: Got my Aries today! :icon_lol:

I don't have a NAS yet, so I put Minimserver on the Mac Mini I was using with Audirvana Plus up till now and connected the S/PDIF to my Audio-gd Reference 7.1 DAC.  I just had time to listen briefly to a few of my reference tracks and have not done an A/B comparison to the Mac Mini yet.  Here's what I think I'm noticing so far:

Gomez "Bring It On" 44/16 (This may seem like an odd reference album, but it is a good measuring stick for deep resonant bass and well recorded cymbals.)
   I was initially disappointed with the bass, it seemed a little smoother than I thought it should be, and not quite as resonant.  As the first song, "Get Miles", continued though I found myself being drawn in STRONGLY, like a magnet.  It was the vocals first that struck me as more organic than I'd heard before, more present and real.  I let the rest of the album play and started noticing the detail.  Not so much microscopics, but character.  I could "see" the instruments, their sizes and shapes.  It's not that there was more "air" around the instruments, or more separation, it's that there was just "more" there, very much as if it were a higher resolution recording, less smear for sure.  I think that accounted for the less resonant bass line in the first song, it was just getting a more accurate stream to my DAC. 
   I also noticed a blacker background, I could pick out the tape hiss cutting out at the end of songs more distinctly than before.  There was also an ease to the listening experience, almost as if someone turned off an old TV with a bad power supply (not that bad, of course, but that same sense of relief)
   Also, I noticed an increased dynamic range.  In fact it seemed too much.  I fear the Aries has uncovered a weak spot in my system because I noticed I was turning up the volume to higher levels for most of the song, but then these cymbal crashes would come or the song would build and it got REALLY loud, too loud.  I also thought I was hearing a tilt toward a brighter high end.  It wasn't unpleasant or piercing (unless played at too high a volume), but this album is definitely sounding brighter with the Aries.  Of course this is the Aries fresh out of the box with virtually no break in, etc. 
  I have Minimserver cataloguing my entire library now, so I'll probably get some more listening in tomorrow.  So far, I think I'm hearing my system getting the cleanest, best timed stream it's ever gotten, very excited!!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #138 on: 24 Apr 2015, 06:11 pm »
Congrats!  It's a great part of my systems which brings me great joy.

wisnon

« Reply #139 on: 24 Apr 2015, 10:31 pm »
Jason,

did you see my question on why a 1m Optical USB cable?