October, anyone?

Carlman

October, anyone?
« on: 17 Aug 2004, 01:57 am »
I'd like to start thinking about another group meet.  My first available time is early October, though so, feel free to have one without me. :(  However, post ideas for the next meeting here....

The reason I was thinking about this....

I'll be getting more speakers sometime soon... Rick's SA-1 and Shamrock's Keelins.  I also have a pair of Usher X-718's.  All of these monitors represent excellent value and if you want to hear them, please let me know.

I also have the AKSA Plus amp... which is now burned-in to the point that it has transformed into a smooth yet gutsy amp that I think most will find shockingly good.

I wouldn't mind hosting it at my place... especially since I know Tim is going to have to deal with moving to a small room... and my room is small...

I can do some interesting things like evaluating playing music at low volume, integrating a sub, or whatever... and even incorporate it into the criteria for speaker evaluations.  I'd also like to hear a hi-efficiency setup if possible.  I have an 8w amp I can bring to the mix if needed.

If someone else wants to host, please say so... I can bring this stuff along unless no one's interested.  So, if you specifically DON'T want to hear it, let me know.  Otherwise, I'll have it.  Or, simply plan a meeting between now and the end of September...  :lol:

So far, the first 2 weekends of October are looking good for me.  I have no other availability at this time.... other than maybe Labor Day.... but I may be 'laboring'. :(

So, any other ideas, plans, etc.?  Let's hear it!!!

Thanks,
Carl

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
October, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2004, 09:31 am »
Guys,

I expect to have some kind of new (probably hi-eff) setup by then.  I may have to break down and buy new, as I keep missing the boat on the few used pieces that come up now and then.  Though I'd still like to go to Denver for the Audio Fest, it is probably smarter to buy/sell several pieces and be able to audition in my own room ... and if I buy used, the net capital outlay/loss will be about the same as the trip.

So, anyway, that's just to say I'll have some stuff that could either be heard here, or possibly transported to Carl's or wherever.

On the slim chance I still can go to Denver, I'd rather plan on the weekend of 2nd/3rd than the 9th/10th.

Inscrutable

October, anyone?
« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2004, 09:34 am »
Guys,
Is it possible to have a CD transport and DAC with AES/EBU connections available for this  meet?

claud

October, anyone?
« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2004, 02:31 pm »
As far as I know, I will be fishing the US Open Oct 1 and 2. I can bring my SN Tube DAC Plus w/ the upgrade power supply and the Cary 308T.
Tim, do you need any help moving your system? I may need your help moving mine since it includes moving a 32" Sony TV. Who knowes, I may get my system moved in time to host the Oct meet. Kid moves to school this Saturday.

sheadlee

October, anyone?
« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2004, 03:42 pm »
Hi, Guys!

I'd like to try to get together again, as well. I will be out of town Sept 10-12, but before or after that I don't have any plans. I usually work on Saturdays, however, I can close an occasional Saturday. Obviously, Sundays would be my best day.

Tim: I could bring my Linn Ikemi and Perpetual Tech stuff...however, I have recently taken the Perpetual Tech units out of service...after a cabling upgrade...I like the stock Ikemi a bit better.

One of these days, if I can ever get time to finish some remodeling/repairs done, I would love to have everyone over. However, the house is a literal disaster now.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
October, anyone?
« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2004, 04:05 am »
If the room is big enough I can bring some new arrays with me.

Inscrutable

October, anyone?
« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2004, 09:56 am »
Claud, anytime you need some help just call.  It will be some time before I need the Ace Moving Company (unless it's just to get the 3.3's in their boxes to make room for new ones here.  We don't intend to move until spring.

Rick, I'd love to hear your new arrays ... is 500 sf big enough?  :wink:

I sold my Citation, so I'll likely be running a 2A3 by then, so someone else will need to bring some juice.

Inscrutable

October, anyone?
« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2004, 10:00 am »
Steve & Claud,
The reason I mentioned AES/EBU connections on the transport and DAC is to be able to put my Behringer in the digital chain, and then be able to play with equalization and in-room response. I don't think some of your items have those connections, do they?

sheadlee

October, anyone?
« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2004, 11:05 am »
Tim:

Yes, both the Linn and the Perpetual Tech have the AES/BEU outputs/inputs.

claud

October, anyone?
« Reply #9 on: 22 Aug 2004, 09:54 pm »
Now that I think about it, my HHb 850 CDR has those connections. Silly me, all I'm using is a RCA /single ended digital connection.
Thanks Inscrut/tim, I will call you when I get ready to move rooms. I got to buy a new TV stand first. Hollar if you need help with the NHTs.

Inscrutable

October, anyone?
« Reply #10 on: 28 Aug 2004, 09:56 am »
OK guys ... I'm stocking inventory for the shoot-out  :wink:

I have on or about to be on the way:

Cain & Cain Abby's
Omega Super 3's
Fi-X 2A3 integrated (check Art Dudley's latest column in stereophile - I was searching for one of these and about to call Don Garber well before this published, and darn if the article didn't flush out a used one at a good price! :D )
Decware SE84B (SV83)

I'll still have the NHT's if someone can bring enough power with them.  Got all the switches and contacts cleaned on the PSAudio pre so all the active and phono stage settings are working now.

I can enlist informal visitations for evaluation kibbitzing, or I can just host the next meet  if you like.  I'm going to move my seating platforms out of the way to create 2 or 3 optimal (as nearly as possible) geometry listening 'stations' along different walls with different combinations of gear, so it won't take as long to switch among them - we'll just move/rotate chairs in the center of the room.  All the inventory probably won't last until the meet after this next one.  Or more to the point ... I won't last if I don't sell something by then.   :nono:

Let me know what you think.  The stuff starts arriving next week, and will all be here within 2 weeks, I think.

Inscrutable

October, anyone?
« Reply #11 on: 28 Aug 2004, 10:11 am »
This would also make it easier if other folks would like to bring some stuff.  Rick, you menitoned your new line arrays.  Carl, you mentioned the EE Minimax and maybe some speakers (although that's fine if you'd like me to bring the amps to your place another time, or both).  Claud, you always have new stuff, but you are also thinking of hosting sometime son as well, so ...   B, you can bring the audio PC (or even better, the Perreaux) and in our fine tradition forget and leave it here  :wink:  [BTW, I emailed 996Turbo and haven't heard back ... still have the Copland]

I'm probably going to need some extra cabling.  Or at least it'd be more convenient if you aren't concerned about introducing more variables.  I'd be more interested in atttempting to put the best combo together - which would mean different cables for each system anyway, if we can.

And the guys bringing stuff might need to come earlier or even the day before if local, so setup/optimization can be as done as possible.

I'm stoked, but if this is sounding too much like work, let me know and I'll adjust the meds  :wink:

Carlman

October, anyone?
« Reply #12 on: 28 Aug 2004, 02:57 pm »
Wow, Tim... yes, it does sound like a lot of work.. but like anything, you only get out what you put in.. ;)

I'll bring the EE Minimax for the high-eff and the AKSA Plus for the NHT's.  At the moment, I have a mixed bag of speakers but they are all sub-90db.  Scott Nixon is looking at my monoblocks because they had a problem.  It'll be a couple of weeks before I get those back but, that shouldn't matter if we're looking at late Sep/early Oct...

I'd be willing to come early and setup a whole system if you want... That might take some of the work away from you.  I could do the NHT system... I'd be willing to bring another preamp, TT, CDP, whatever to do that.  

I have plenty of cables and have no issue bringing IC's and speaker cables... and PC's.

I think you're on the right track to getting it organized.  I think YOU should let the NC AC'ers know what you'd like to hear and in what system and let us bring it.  I think that would work best to get the results you want.

-C

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
October, anyone?
« Reply #13 on: 28 Aug 2004, 03:36 pm »
I can volunteer anything you would like me to bring along....  speaker cables, interconnects, etc...

I could also arrange to have a pair of Von Schweikert dB-99s available for audition....  or a pair of the big Usher 8871s.... I know this is about low power, high efficiency.... so the Db-99s at least qualify.....  let me know... I know I posted about this in the past and didn't get too many bites.... but I thought I'd throw it out there again....

now that the better half has more time on her hands, she's started to notice that I've completely taken over the place....  the law is starting to be laid down... I guess I need to start moving out some of the boxes :(  anybody need anything??? :)

Inscrutable

October, anyone?
« Reply #14 on: 2 Sep 2004, 10:51 am »
I think YOU should let the NC AC'ers know what you'd like to hear and in what system and let us bring it.
I'm not that autocratical, and I'd like this to be more of the group and by the group.  

My own vested interest is two-fold:  
Primarily, an introduction to hi-eff, and comparison of good low-eff, high power vs hi-eff lo-power combos.  
Secondarily, within the constraints of what equipment to which we have access, a comparison of various permutations of the hi-eff lo-power permutations.

I think these two objectives will be satisfied as a matter of course through the day, so we can accomodate other peoples' interests/objectives as well.

Thanks for all the offers of help and gear/accessories.

As for source(s), at least as far as digital goes, this would be easy enough to move from system to system (or to swap out or rotate 2 or 3), so anyone that would like to bring one, or a NOS DAC, would be more than welcome.  I'll have my modded 563 to use in any event.  This probably isn't quite so easy with analog.  Of course, if any of you really want to hear your source in any/one of these setups, bring it on over.  I have one spare Bell'O audio rack (has media on it now) and some other flat horizontal surfaces we can use.

I don't own a set of speaker stands, so anyone that could bring these would be great.  I have 2 pair (each) of Kimber Quik 12 (spade/banana) and Museatex (spade/spade), and a motley assortment of IC's.  There's not a boutique power cord in sight.  So bring anything you want to hear, or just go with the flow.

For preamplification,  I have the Rogue still, and the PSAudio (freshly serviced).  Both have decent but not great built-in phono stages.  

For amps ... of course the Fi is integrated, so that takes care of itself.  We'll have the Decware and Carl's EE for small tube amps, and the AKSA for SS (Carl, is that the 100 W model? ... the 3.3's LIKE more power, but don't NEED it).  

So we CAN set up several stations, but if anyone would LIKE to hear anything else in any of these rigs/combos, they are MORE than welcome to put it in the rotation.  I'm not going to impose and ask anyone to haul their stuff over.

Shane, as you say you've thrown out the db99's before, and I think I responded positively and still do ... but I will remind you that this is on the 3rd floor, so getting those beasts up there may be no small feat.  Is the bass cabinet separable like in the VR4's?  If so, then it should be a whole lot easier.  It's doable, and the geometry of the box vis-a-vis the stairs should be no problem - just the weight.  I'm going to leave it totally up to you.  I'll also offer that if you do bring them and would like to you may leave them for a short extended period (heck, leave them as long as you want  :wink: ) for anyone that wants to listen over a longer period/another time to perhaps write a review of sorts.

claud

October, anyone?
« Reply #15 on: 2 Sep 2004, 01:19 pm »
Have you set a weekend to hold this great shootout/meeting, Tim ? I looked through the posts of this thread, and must have missed it. Shane, I will help carry the VS db99s up the stairs just to hear them with the Fi.

ampgalore

October, anyone?
« Reply #16 on: 3 Sep 2004, 12:12 am »
I would love to participate, I am in Durham, NC.

I just have an Accuphase E-211 integrated amp, and just purchased a pair of Infinity Kappa 400 floorstanders. But they are way too heavy to bring to a meet.

Inscrutable

October, anyone?
« Reply #17 on: 3 Sep 2004, 10:33 am »
Ampgalore,
The more the merrier!  

Claud,
As long as we then don't have to carry you down  :wink:

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
October, anyone?
« Reply #18 on: 5 Sep 2004, 07:17 pm »
Quote from: Inscrutable
Shane, as you say you've thrown out the db99's before, and I think I responded positively and still do ... but I will remind you that this is on the 3rd floor, so getting those beasts up there may be no small feat. Is the bass cabinet separable like in the VR4's? If so, then it should be a whole lot easier. It's doable, and the geometry of the box vis-a-vis the stairs should be no problem - just the weight. I'm going to leave it totally up to you. I'll also offer that if you do bring them and would like to you may leave them for a short extended period (heck, leave them as long as you want  ) for anyone that wants to listen over a longer period/another time to perhaps write a review of sorts..

I'll check with the VSA rep to see about a longer term demo... he's the one with the speakers, and he takes them along for demos quite frequently...so I don't know how long he'll let me have them..... every single dealer whose heard them has ordered a demo pair for themselves on the spot.... so in a way, I kinda DON'T want to hear them because I just don't have a demo room to put them in right now!! :)

I'm also going to likely have the Butler monos very soon (i.e. before the meet) as I am 99.9999% sure I'm picking up the line to complement the Bel Canto stuff and thereby offer another high end alternative other than the Opera Audio stuff.......

You guys have got to get over to Carl's place sometime....  I actually really like the sound of his system now with the Usher X-718s in there :)

Carlman

October, anyone?
« Reply #19 on: 7 Sep 2004, 02:51 am »
Just a quick update... I'll be getting Rick's SA-1's for audition in the near future.  I'll bring 'em unless anyone is opposed.

The Usher's do sound outstanding.  It's a pleasant surprise.... especially since I'd never heard of 'Usher' until I met Shane... Anyway, the SA-1's have their work cut out for them.  If the Shamrock Keelin's get here sometime soon, I'll be doing a 3-way monitor comparison.  :o

-C