October, anyone?

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
October, anyone?
« Reply #20 on: 8 Sep 2004, 09:50 am »
I'll be getting Rick's SA-1's for audition in the near future. I'll bring 'em unless anyone is opposed
Carl, that's great.  Rick, of course you are welcome to come on over yourself as well.
every single dealer whose heard them has ordered a demo pair for themselves on the spot.... so in a way, I kinda DON'T want to hear them
Shane, I think we're willing (for you) to take that risk  :wink:
I'm also going to likely have the Butler monos very soon
Cool

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
October, anyone?
« Reply #21 on: 8 Sep 2004, 01:25 pm »
Guys,

Can we firm up the date a bit??  I spoke with the rep... We can definitely do weekends later in the month of October if you wish... he has to come down this way anyways, and can drop the speakers off with me for a few days and pick them up on his way back through.... I doubt we can do a real long term demo....

give me some idea of precise weekend and I'll see if I can make something happen.. Thanks!!

Inscrutable

October, anyone?
« Reply #22 on: 9 Sep 2004, 01:25 am »
Well, I believe we were talking either the first or second weekend.   I think Claud was tied up the first, so we'll steer clear of that.  I don't think anyone was going to RMAF, so the second isn't a problem.  Unlike this month, I'm actually pretty clear all through October, so later in the month works too.  I think we'll go Sunday again so Steve can make it, unless there are many people who prefer Saturday.  What say y'all?

Carlman

October, anyone?
« Reply #23 on: 9 Sep 2004, 02:43 am »
Well.. hmm... Rick's SA-1's will be here tomorrow and I have 1 week to audition them.  I'm out of town this weekend.  I'm also out of town the weekend of Oct 8th.

I'm free Sept. 25th all day.. and totally free the weekend of Oct 1st.  I will not have the SA-1's at the time since the demo will be over by late next week.  I may have the Keelins by early October.... but I doubt it.

So, if anyone wants to hear the SA-1's, let me know and I'll arrange a short audition one night at my place.  I'll have at a minimum the Usher X-718's to compare to them.... the Europa's are going in for repair.

So, that's what I've got to work with....

-C

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
October, anyone?
« Reply #24 on: 9 Sep 2004, 11:06 am »
Quote from: Carlman
Well.. hmm... Rick's SA-1's will be here tomorrow and I have 1 week to audition them.  I'm out of town this weekend.  I'm also out of town the weekend of Oct 8th.

I'm free Sept. 25th all day.. and totally free the weekend of Oct 1st.  I will not have the SA-1's at the time since the demo will be over by late next week.  I may have the Keelins by early October.... but I doubt it.

So, if anyone wants to hear the SA-1's, let me know and I'll arrange a short audition one night at my place.  I'll have at a ...

Feel free to keep them longer if needed.

Rick

Inscrutable

October, anyone?
« Reply #25 on: 22 Sep 2004, 10:03 am »
Since Carl is hosting Saturday, let's move any gathering here to later in October.  Shane, do you want to see what weekend works for the VS rep?

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
October, anyone?
« Reply #26 on: 22 Sep 2004, 11:15 am »
Quote from: Inscrutable
Since Carl is hosting Saturday, let's move any gathering here to later in October.  Shane, do you want to see what weekend works for the VS rep?

He said anytime in mid to late October would be perfect, but that I needed to let him know soon.

Pick a date, any date :)

BTW, Butler A100 monos ........   WOW!!! :)

Inscrutable

October, anyone?
« Reply #27 on: 28 Sep 2004, 09:50 am »
Shane,
Even tho the VS rep is passing thru, I don't think I can make this weekend work, and it's probably too soon after Carl's meet.  How about checking with him for the 24th?  And how would that day be for all of you guys?  I'd say the 31st, and these would be as good a 'treat' as I'm likely to get that day, but some of you may have little ghosts and goblins to get ready.

Carlman

October, anyone?
« Reply #28 on: 28 Sep 2004, 12:08 pm »
Right now either weekend works for me.  That could all change, of course.

sheadlee

October, anyone?
« Reply #29 on: 28 Sep 2004, 01:51 pm »
Tim,

I could do either date (Oct 24 or Oct 31).

Do you need for us to bring anything (equipment or otherwise)?

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
October, anyone?
« Reply #30 on: 28 Sep 2004, 02:27 pm »
Quote from: Inscrutable
Shane,
Even tho the VS rep is passing thru, I don't think I can make this weekend work, and it's probably too soon after Carl's meet.  How about checking with him for the 24th?  And how would that day be for all of you guys?  I'd say the 31st, and these would be as good a 'treat' as I'm likely to get that day, but some of you may have little ghosts and goblins to get ready.

ok... I'll pass the word along and see what we can do...  I'll let you know which of the weekends it will be...

I'll be bringing the Butlers, the Bel Cantos, and some source equipment....

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
October, anyone?
« Reply #31 on: 29 Sep 2004, 01:27 pm »
I had to force things, and specifically set a date without getting complete agreement.....

But we're set for the weekend of October 24th....  that's when we can make this happen....

One of two things will happen:

1) the rep will drop the speakers off to me a week or so early when he is passing through town.... so these can be setup in your house early Tim and allow them time to warm and for you to have fun listening to them for a week prior to the actual meet..

2) the rep will come down a day before the meet and setup.  So if we are planning on Saturday that weekend, he will be down on Friday and leave Sunday... or if we do Sunday (which I think is preferred), he will bring them down Saturday.

let me know if this is cool... I think we should plan to listen to the db-99s in comparison to your 3.3s and just  swap source equipment, amps and cables instead of listening to too many speakers...

Let me know your thoughts....  I can also bring along the VR-4jrs if we really do want to compare a third model... but then they might not come back to my place if I let you have them for a few days, right Tim?  :)

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
October, anyone?
« Reply #32 on: 29 Sep 2004, 01:28 pm »
almost forgot....

start inviting people... if anyone has connections to the other audiophile groups in the area, get the word out if you don't mind.  The more attendees the better....

Inscrutable

October, anyone?
« Reply #33 on: 29 Sep 2004, 03:22 pm »
Shane,

Sounds great! There will be at least one other pair ... I expect to have my Cain & Cain Abby's in by then.  So we'll have a pretty good single driver hi-eff to compare to the multi-driver hi-eff dB99's, and the multi-driver lo-eff NHT's.  And yes, I liked the VR4Jr's enough at CES for them to be dangerous in my possession.

I've got the Fi-X to drive the Abby's and/or the dB99's.  I may even convince myself to spring for a pair of TJ meshplate 2A3's for it.  The Butlers and/or Bel Canto would work on the NHT's.  Heck, I'd like to hear the Butler's on everything!, even tho the others don't need that kind of power.  It'd be great if some of this could be set up ahead of time, but we'll make it work one way or another. Thanks!

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
October, anyone?
« Reply #34 on: 29 Sep 2004, 05:19 pm »
Quote from: hometheaterdoc
I had to force things, and specifically set a date without getting complete agreement.....

But we're set for the weekend of October 24th....  that's when we can make this happen....

One of two things will happen:

1) the rep will drop the speakers off to me a week or so early when he is passing through town.... so these can be setup in your house early Tim and allow them time to warm and for you to have fun listening to them for a week prior to the actual meet..

2) the rep will come down a day be ...

Too bad I'll be out of town then at the Des Moines audio gathering  :(

Maybe in November I can bring some line arrays to a meeting.

Carlman

AC/shee-shee
« Reply #35 on: 29 Sep 2004, 06:16 pm »
Line Arrays? db-99's?  Butlers?  Wow!  This is the kind of gear that's really rare to be able to hear in person, in a comfortable setting, and for a long time.  This isn't exactly the 'normal' demographic at AC... ;)

Thanks Shane for getting this gear together and Rick for offering yours for November's meet.  I have heard the line-array's but it's been over a year... and that was on a system that I'm told was not well-matched by its owner.  So, I'd really like to hear them again.

BTW, I got the OK to hold onto the EE Minimax 8-watt until this meeting.  That would be the only piece of gear I'd bring.  I'm willing to bring it earlier also.  Much earlier, in fact if Tim wants to play around with it.

Rick, someone with a larger room will need to host a meet for the line-arrays.  If you want to host or are looking for someone who wants to, it'd be wise to start a new post about it.... Just a thought.

I will likely host  a Christmas party where there's minimal gear swaps and everyone has to bring audiophile-level Christmas music. ;)

-C

sheadlee

October, anyone?
« Reply #36 on: 29 Sep 2004, 06:41 pm »
For my clarification...

1) Sunday October 24 is the date (yaah, another Sunday!)

2) We are meeting at Tim's house.

3) What time are we starting?

4) Do you need any extra cables, CD player, etc?

Inscrutable

October, anyone?
« Reply #37 on: 29 Sep 2004, 09:33 pm »
Steve
For my clarification...

1) Sunday October 24 is the date (yaah, another Sunday!)

2) We are meeting at Tim's house.

3) What time are we starting?

4) Do you need any extra cables, CD player, etc

1 yes
2 yes
3 whenever anyone gets here, 11-ish is fine for you late-risers
4 i dunno yet.  for cabling, as you might recall i have some extras of everything, but nothing stellar.  Sources ... it kinda depends how much we want to eliminate variables between the speakers by feeding them the same diet as closely as possible. or just go for convenience and have a complete ready-to-rock setup at different parts of the room and not have to swap/move stuff constantly. we'd be covered if we had 2 more cdp's.  we are going to have enough amps and preamps as a matter of course anyway.

Inscrutable

October, anyone?
« Reply #38 on: 29 Sep 2004, 09:35 pm »
Rick,
Too bad I'll be out of town then at the Des Moines audio gathering  

Maybe in November I can bring some line arrays to a meeting.
That's a shame you'll miss this ... woulda been great to have your line arrays here.  I'l look forward to November.

Inscrutable

October, anyone?
« Reply #39 on: 3 Oct 2004, 11:52 am »
Finally, after much ado, the Abby's are in the house!  Well, technically, they are in a crate in the garage.  I won't have time to uncrate and move them until maybe tomorrow night.

Also, perhaps Louis is right.  After about 30 hours of re-break-in, the Omega's are opening up a bit.  He says they need about 100 hours.  I'm hoping ... we'll see ...