Hip Hop Music

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Hip Hop Music
« on: 29 Nov 2013, 05:00 pm »
I see with the exception of one album topic,  it's been years since the topic of Hip Hop music has come up here in the Music Circle.  And ironically even though I'm not a fan of a lot of it, as I suspect many if not most of the AC demographic feel the same way, it still seems like it merits a thread. 

And there is plenty of Hip Hop music I like, including and perhaps particularly what some consider to be the nadir and most offensive : 90's gangster rap.  Asked to name my favorites, it would have to include N.W.A. and all the greats that sprung from it such as Dr Dre, Ice Cube and indirectly through its members sponsorship of such as Snoop Dog (formerly, but like always will continue to be known as).

I was once asked by a friend in Hong Kong what the difference was between rap and hip hop, and not having the benefit of wikipedia back then, I said rap was a subset of hip-hop, which fortuitously turned out to be right.  As such I suggest including in "hip hop music" tracks that incorporate one or more of the following :

1) DJing : turntabalism / mixing
2) Mcing : aka rapping / emceeing
3) Beatboxing : vocal percussions

So feel free to shout out your favorite artist / albums / tracks and discoveries of new and old. That for me is the merit of this topic : clueing in others and discussing new and old favorites.  So please : don't just post album covers : let us know not just what you like, but why as well.

For me lately it's been the Latin / West Coast group Delinquent Habits, whose use of loops from the Tijuana Brass in the track "Tres Delinquentes" of their self-titled 1996 album is masterful.  Their newer (2009) album "The Common Man" is pretty good as well and keeps the brass loops and party feel going.  And of course going through the treasure of the earlier catalog of Beastie Boy albums.

If you're a Hip Hop / Rap etc hater : keep it to yourself! Don't want to see this topic get jacked criticizing and counter defending the merits of Hip Hop music / culture / etc.  Such posts will be deleted or moved to a hip hop hater topic if someone else feels strong enough to create one. Such trolling wouldn't be accepted in other music genre topics, so I don't see why it needs to be here.

So let it spin : two turntables and a microphone!

stlrman

Re: Hip Hop Music
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2013, 06:10 pm »
Hey Jchar,
Thanks for the interesting topic.
Have you listened to Kendrick Lamar's last album called Good Kid Mad City?
I'm not a big fan of Rap , but I was reading a review of top albums on Pichfork and then continued to do some research of reviews on this album . This album was on 90% of critics top ten list and for good reason. I then listened to this album over and over again. This kid is a genius!! Outstanding lyrics, song structure, with Jazz hooks, Mediterranean beats, classical elements etc.
The album is a masterpiece ! It should be listened to in its entirety as it is a story/concept album.
Rap offers me a visceral experience that  I don't really get from other genres of music. I like to listen with headphones to really get the effect.  Try this album out ( it's on Spotify ) I think you will blown away! Let me know your impressions .

strider

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2013, 06:19 pm »
Good topic, I'll play!

First album that came to my mind is Paul's Boutique by the Beastie Boys. Definitely an album I'd put on my desert island list now, but I hated it at first. When it came out I thought it was horrible; it was such a departure from the rock/punk style of Licensed to Ill that I swore it off. Now I have three copies of it, two on vinyl and of course CD. I'd really like to find my version on cassette, I remember it was really cool but I forgot why.   :oops:

I like it because of the sampling and the lyrics. The samples are all over the place, they mention so many random references it seems like I always hear something new. Here's a cool site if you're a fan of the album:

http://www.paulsboutique.info/index.php

"I'm like Sam the  butcher, bringing Alice the Meat." Damn I love that album

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2013, 06:23 pm »
I'll proudly chime in here. Like many art forms, hip hop is often misunderstood and not for everyone. I always think it is funny that audiophiles often have to proclaim that they "listen to everything EXCEPT rap." Why? Hip hop is no lesser an art form than rock. Just because it doesn't resonate with everyone, doesn't mean it should be shunned. Since I first heard The Fat Boys and Run DMC in grade school, hip hop has always resonated with me. The beats, the rhymes, I loved it immediately. Disclaimer for those who believe my ears must be broken,  I listen to a lot of different music genres and played classical violin for many years in grade school up into high school. I also played different instruments in band.

So with all that said, there's good, intelligent, well produced hip hop with a message, story, and/or is in another profound way creatively progressing the art. Then there's the stuff (mostly garbage) that gets radio play. While often catchy, it ultimately lacks longevity. While there's a market for it, just like rock, and pop country, it will continue to be produced. And I must admit, I sometimes enjoy listening to garbage rap, primarily in the car. It's like a guilty pleasure, similar to enjoying a bad movie.

I listen to all the variants from old school hip hop to underground hip hop. Some of my all time favorite hip hop artists include:
Wu-Tang Clan and MANY of the individual spin-off albums
Atmosphere
Kanye West
Beastie Boys

My favorite new artist BY FAR is Macklemore. The Heist is the best album I've heard in a long time.

My list could go on and on, but the artists listed above immediately come to mind when I think of who/what I've enjoyed listening to the most overall over my many years of listening.

stlrman

« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2013, 06:24 pm »
Another fantastic release that I discovered last year that was universally acclaimed was Frank Ocean's album Channel Orange. What a stellar album from beginning to end!

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2013, 06:39 pm »
Good topic, I'll play!

First album that came to my mind is Paul's Boutique by the Beastie Boys. Definitely an album I'd put on my desert island list now, but I hated it at first. When it came out I thought it was horrible; it was such a departure from the rock/punk style of Licensed to Ill that I swore it off. Now I have three copies of it, two on vinyl and of course CD. I'd really like to find my version on cassette, I remember it was really cool but I forgot why.   :oops:

I like it because of the sampling and the lyrics. The samples are all over the place, they mention so many random references it seems like I always hear something new. Here's a cool site if you're a fan of the album:

http://www.paulsboutique.info/index.php

"I'm like Sam the  butcher, bringing Alice the Meat." Damn I love that album

Paul's Boutique is a fantastic album. It isn't immediately likable like Licenced to Ill. It's almost as if The Beasties grew up and got too good too fast (with P's B) and people weren't ready. It definitely was the album that carved the sound of their following 2 albums (Check Your Head and Ill Communication). In a Star Wars analogy, Paul's Boutique is like The Empire Strikes Back of Beasties albums. :thumb:

strider

« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2013, 06:54 pm »
Paul's Boutique is a fantastic album. It isn't immediately likable like Licenced to Ill. It's almost as if The Beasties grew up and got too good too fast (with P's B) and people weren't ready. It definitely was the album that carved the sound of their following 2 albums (Check Your Head and Ill Communication). In a Star Wars analogy, Paul's Boutique is like The Empire Strikes Back of Beasties albums. :thumb:

I remember the first time I heard it, I was having a party while my parents were out of town. My friend put it on as we were sitting around playing drinking games in the back yard. I think I made it 'til about halfway through Shake Your Rump before I pulled the plug. I rarely listen to just a single track now.

RDavidson

« Reply #7 on: 29 Nov 2013, 07:21 pm »
I remember the first time I heard it, I was having a party while my parents were out of town. My friend put it on as we were sitting around playing drinking games in the back yard. I think I made it 'til about halfway through Shake Your Rump before I pulled the plug. I rarely listen to just a single track now.

I'm always conscious that my first impression of an album is often based on expectations. If I don't immediately like an album, I play it a few more times and REALLY listen / pay attention. I didn't like Wu-Tang Forever when it came out, as I was expecting a sound more like 36 Chambers. Over time, I loved it, but 36 Chambers is classic and I always regard it as Wu-Tang's absolute best.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #8 on: 29 Nov 2013, 09:49 pm »
The new Deltron 3030 (Event II) album is pretty good...but I am a sucker for anything with Kid Koala.
IMO hands down the best turntablist.

I mostly listen to hip-hop "Instrumentals" if you will (hip-hop without any vocals).

Other favorites in that genere include Blockhead, Hashfinger, DJ Shadow and Nightmares on Wax.
All great HipHop preocuders in their own right.

RDavidson

« Reply #9 on: 29 Nov 2013, 10:13 pm »
The new Deltron 3030 (Event II) album is pretty good...but I am a sucker for anything with Kid Koala.

I mostly listen to hip-hop "Instrumentals" if you will (hip-hop without any vocals).

Other favorites in that genere include Blockhead, Hashfinger, DJ Shadow and Nightmares on Wax.

Del is Very good. He's a great lyricist, but his flow and voice I kind of have to be in the mood to listen to.

DJ Shadow's Endtroducing is my favorite hip-hop "instrumental" album. I always use it as a basis to judge others like RJD2 and El-P......though El-P's hip hop albums (with vocals) are EXCELLENT. I think Cancer For the Cure may be my favorite El-P album, but the first Company Flow album is an underground classic.

bunnyma357

« Reply #10 on: 30 Nov 2013, 02:36 am »
El-P is pretty great, saw him this year with Killer Mike, and their group Run the Jewels - each did a set on their own and then they performed together, I think I preferred each on their own, but it was a great show.

For old school, my faves are probably Digital Underground and Public Enemy.

I think a lot of the "everything but rap" AC members are missing out on some of the most vital music of the last few decades.

Jim C

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #11 on: 30 Nov 2013, 02:46 am »
El-P is pretty great, saw him this year with Killer Mike, and their group Run the Jewels - each did a set on their own and then they performed together, I think I preferred each on their own, but it was a great show.

I think a lot of the "everything but rap" AC members are missing out on some of the most vital music of the last few decades.

Jim C

Well said! I was a big fan of DU and PE, checking out EI-P now...

RDavidson

« Reply #12 on: 30 Nov 2013, 03:30 am »

Jim C
+1 on everything you stated

Run the Jewels is not as good as I thought it'd be. I still like it, but Killer Mike's album, Rap Music (produced by El-P) is very solid and set the stage for Run the Jewels. I had high expectations. Killer Mike's delivery reminds me a lot of Ice Cube, which is great. El-P has a lot of great albums too. Cancer for the Cure is probably the overall best. I'll Sleep When You're Dead is a close 2nd. Other albums he produced, like Cannibal Ox's Cold Vein and Company Flow's Fun Crusher Plus are underground classics.

PE is some of the best most influencial hip hop music ever recorded. Great stuff!

If you haven't listened to Atmosphere, you need to. All Atmosphere albums are REALLY good, and yes, the full albums can be listened to all the way through. If you want to know where to start, checkout the albums, Lucy Ford (which is basically the album that really put Atmosphere on the map), God Loves Ugly (the followup to Lucy Ford), You Can't Imagine How much Fun We're Having, Seven's Travels, and To All My Friends.... The first two listed are older, but still excellent. Their style has matured a lot and the production is even better on the last two on the list. Some of the best hip-hop I've ever listened to. What makes it really great, to me, is the story telling and relate-ability of many of their songs.

RDavidson

« Reply #13 on: 30 Nov 2013, 03:34 am »

As you're into instrumentals, check out Company Flow's (El-P's) Little Johnny From the Hospitul. It's very good. :thumb:

Bostown

• BASS CLUB [Boston Audio Stereo & Social Club]
    • Second Time Sound - Audio Gear Re-Purposed
« Reply #14 on: 30 Nov 2013, 03:46 am »
I've listened to quite a bit  of an older British Hip Hop variant known as  "GRIME"
Their incarnation of hip hop during the early and mid 2000's  had been heavily influenced by Dance Music most notably 2 Step and UK Garage which ultimately gave birth to the earliest form of Dubstep.   What it is today is anyone's guess since Dubstep has further morphed into just a shell of the groundbreaking genre of music is USED to be.   Grime may be considered the earliest vocal version of Dubstep, whereas today's vocal Dubstep is typically Pop Female vocals over erratic synth bass lines made from compressed sawtooth waves.  In any case some of my favorite "old school" Grime Artist include:

Wiley
Kano
Dizzee Rascal
Tinchy Stryder
Roll Deep Crew
So-Solid Crew
Pay as you go cartel

It's definitely an acquired taste since it is so vastly different from U.S Rap / Hip Hop.  I haven't kept up with the scene ( if one still exists) but figured I'd chime in to expand on the topic of Hip Hop in general from a different perspective.

Oi Oi!

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #15 on: 30 Nov 2013, 10:47 pm »
++++ :thumb: for Beastie Boys "Paul's Boutique". Was fortunate to come back to this after Check Your Head & Ill Communication albums, so never suffered the post Licensed To Ill shock.

Lots of great recommendations folks - keep em coming. Adding Kendrick Lamar and the many more suggestions to the audition list. 

bonsai

« Reply #16 on: 30 Nov 2013, 11:23 pm »
I'm never going back to Audiokarma again after reading this!!  This thread rules!

some of the best underground hip hop albums that you all should look into

Jedi Mind Tricks - Violent By Designs - from the year 2000
Jedi Mind Tricks - The Psycho-Social, Chemical, Biological & Electro-Magnetic Manipulation of Human Consciousness - from the year 1997

Jedi Mind Tricks - Visions of Gandhi is ok...  The two above are song after song underground classics

I got the above two on Vinyl from UGHH.com (Underground Hip Hop . com)

I wish I could get Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein on vinyl.

Good thread and good music taste!

PS - The original Deltron 3030 on vinyl is must have

RDavidson

« Reply #17 on: 1 Dec 2013, 01:11 am »
I'm never going back to Audiokarma again after reading this!!  This thread rules!

some of the best underground hip hop albums that you all should look into

Jedi Mind Tricks - Violent By Designs - from the year 2000
Jedi Mind Tricks - The Psycho-Social, Chemical, Biological & Electro-Magnetic Manipulation of Human Consciousness - from the year 1997

Jedi Mind Tricks - Visions of Gandhi is ok...  The two above are song after song underground classics

I got the above two on Vinyl from UGHH.com (Underground Hip Hop . com)

I wish I could get Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein on vinyl.

Good thread and good music taste!

PS - The original Deltron 3030 on vinyl is must have

The late 90's up through the mid 2000's was a great time to get into hip hop especially underground stuff. It seems to me that only the underground greats from that time frame are still doing it, while others have come and gone. I think Kanye blew the doors open for the general "indie / underground / non-mainstream" vibe.......which might explain partially why only the greats are still great while others have trailed off. Kanye changed the game / elevated the game, which pains me to admit at times because he's so arrogant. Love or hate him, he's probably overall the most talented/influential hip hop artist since he launched The College Dropout.

decal

« Reply #18 on: 1 Dec 2013, 02:15 am »
  Love or hate him, he's probably overall the most talented/influential hip hop artist since he launched The College Dropout.

Yea, right.

RDavidson

« Reply #19 on: 1 Dec 2013, 02:35 am »
Yea, right.

Great contribution to the thread. :duh:
If you disagree, cool. Please, drop knowledge on me and others.
.......But I'll say, I'm quite doubtful it's going to happen. Please thread dump elsewhere.

Kanye made it "cool" to be a mainstream rapper / producer / hip hop artist not from the streets or hood. His influence is easily seen and heard (especially in terms of production) in mainstream hip hop from the time The College Dropout dropped, to even today. Artists that come to mind include, Lupe Fiasco, Kid Cudi, Pharrell, Kendrick Lamar, Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, and the list goes on.