Hip Hop Music

decal

Re: Hip Hop Music
« Reply #20 on: 1 Dec 2013, 03:14 am »
Sorry guy but Grandmaster Flash has forgotten more about hip-hop than West will ever know.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #21 on: 1 Dec 2013, 03:47 am »
Can't believe a thread about hiphop on AC got this far without being burned down by a mob of people who see it as some kind of threat to civilization...there may be hope yet !

Some scattered thoughts on the topic and coming from the likes of me, really that is all one could ever hope for:

I have pretty much every Kanye album except 808's & Heartbreak - He's a huge talent. He's also a huge tool but really, is he breaking any new ground at this stage by being a pop star and a dick? You could say that about most of your rock'n'roll heroes - John Lennon certainly had his share of dickish moments, Bowie wasn't beyond riding around in an open car flashing the Nazi salute in a coked-up haze back in the day...Hell, even The Boss apparently has some history of dick moves and he's as close to sanctified as a pop star can be. At least Kanye admits it - self-awareness may some day lead to redemption. I would certainly rather listen to Yeezus for all it's flaws than to Jay-Z's latest or any of the assembly-line crap put out by the likes of Flo Rida or the Black-Eyed Peas. The first half or so is fantastic but then it sort of veers of into the weeds - I guess that means that the ultimate Kanye West album has yet to be made...Hmmm.

For me , the gateway was the group that Michael Franti formed after leaving the Beatnigs - they were called The Disposable Heroes Of Hiphoprisy - one of the greatest band names ever. Intense, political and socially -conscious. I enjoyed a lot of his work with Spearhead as well but they've become a little too "Up With People" for my tastes now.

Here's a shout-out for The Roots - I don't think I've ever heard a Roots album I didn't like. Great players, ambitious in their vision and fabulous ambassadors for the genre. Surprised that no-one has mentioned them yet. I guess we've begun to take them for granted and that is a shame.

I think that trying to define hiphop in terms of containing one or more of DJ'ing, MC'ing or beatboxing kind of underestimates the breadth of the genre in 2013. Hiphop is a pretty big tent encompassing a lot of sub-genres and flavours. And it's more than that as it transcends the genre and is actually a cultural phenomenon with it's own fashion, it's own jargon, it's own disposable heroes and so on.

Two turntables and a microphone ? And then some.

And so thirty-odd years on, hiphop shifts more units than rock and the world hasn't burst into flame and there aren't riots in the streets with the raping and the pillaging and the looting and the kids with the baggy pants burning down the city. If Sinatra and Elvis and backwards Led Zeppelin and Dee Snider's pointy teeth or Madonna's pointy bras and Marilyn Manson's showing up all spacey and chubby on Talking Dead haven't reversed the rotation of our much-abused planet, I don't think Yeezus will either. And if he does, tell Commissioner Gordon to fire up the Bat Light and the rest looks after itself.

We're gonna be alright...

D.D.

RDavidson

« Reply #22 on: 1 Dec 2013, 04:56 am »
Sorry guy but Grandmaster Flash has forgotten more about hip-hop than West will ever know.

I suggest fully reading before responding. Pretty sure Grandmaster Flash nor the Furious Five have produced an album in the timeframe I clearly mentioned in the very first sentence of my post, nor from that timeframe to present day. :duh: Did I say Kanye was the most influential OF ALL TIME? No. No I definitely did not.

But yeah, if you want to talk about most influential ever, Grandmaster Flash is a good choice. I would probably go with Run DMC for being the first to truly break into the mainstream popular music scene (rock scene) and bring rap and hip-hop to the masses. But, without Grandmaster, would Run DMC have become what they were? Hard to say. That's almost like asking if Jordan would've been the player he was if it wasn't for Bill Russell.

If you don't like Kanye, that's fine. I even said myself that I think he's arrogant, and I'll go on to say that his personality alone can rub even the most diehard fan the wrong way. I'm no diehard. But if you're going to deny his talent and influence, then please, I'm still waiting for you to tell me anyone more influential on the entire hip hop "industry" from the time The College Dropout dropped (2004) to present.
« Last Edit: 3 Dec 2013, 02:40 am by RDavidson »

RDavidson

« Reply #23 on: 1 Dec 2013, 04:59 am »
Can't believe a thread about hiphop on AC got this far without being burned down by a mob of people who see it as some kind of threat to civilization...there may be hope yet !

Some scattered thoughts on the topic and coming from the likes of me, really that is all one could ever hope for:

I have pretty much every Kanye album except 808's & Heartbreak - He's a huge talent. He's also a huge tool but really, is he breaking any new ground at this stage by being a pop star and a dick? You could say that about most of your rock'n'roll heroes - John Lennon certainly had his share of dickish moments, Bowie wasn't beyond riding around in an open car flashing the Nazi salute in a coked-up haze back in the day...Hell, even The Boss apparently has some history of dick moves and he's as close to sanctified as a pop star can be. At least Kanye admits it - self-awareness may some day lead to redemption. I would certainly rather listen to Yeezus for all it's flaws than to Jay-Z's latest or any of the assembly-line crap put out by the likes of Flo Rida or the Black-Eyed Peas. The first half or so is fantastic but then it sort of veers of into the weeds - I guess that means that the ultimate Kanye West album has yet to be made...Hmmm.

For me , the gateway was the group that Michael Franti formed after leaving the Beatnigs - they were called The Disposable Heroes Of Hiphoprisy - one of the greatest band names ever. Intense, political and socially -conscious. I enjoyed a lot of his work with Spearhead as well but they've become a little too "Up With People" for my tastes now.

Here's a shout-out for The Roots - I don't think I've ever heard a Roots album I didn't like. Great players, ambitious in their vision and fabulous ambassadors for the genre. Surprised that no-one has mentioned them yet. I guess we've begun to take them for granted and that is a shame.

I think that trying to define hiphop in terms of containing one or more of DJ'ing, MC'ing or beatboxing kind of underestimates the breadth of the genre in 2013. Hiphop is a pretty big tent encompassing a lot of sub-genres and flavours. And it's more than that as it transcends the genre and is actually a cultural phenomenon with it's own fashion, it's own jargon, it's own disposable heroes and so on.

And so thirty-odd years on, hiphop shifts more units than rock and the world hasn't burst into flame and there aren't riots in the streets with the raping and the pillaging and the looting and the kids with the baggy pants burning down the city. If Sinatra and Elvis and backwards Led Zeppelin and Dee Snider's pointy teeth or Madonna's pointy bras and Marilyn Manson's showing up all spacey and chubby on Talking Dead haven't reversed the rotation of our much-abused planet, I don't think Yeezus will either. And if he does, tell Commissioner Gordon to fire up the Bat Light and the rest looks after itself.

D.D.

Well said and I couldn't agree more. The ultimate Kanye album might be My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Not sure he'll top it. I think 808's was an experiment to him. I'm not a fan of 808's. But if you took Graduation (if not all his albums thru Graduation) and combine it with 808's, you get this fusion of hip hop and very creative musical production which is My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy......which is a pretty awesome album.

And if I listed my top 10 favorite groups, The Roots would've been on that list. I didn't forget about them. Trust me. What's great about The Roots is that they make great music, period, not just great hip hop. :thumb:

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #24 on: 1 Dec 2013, 04:08 pm »

D.D.

Also glad we can get into this without categorical aspersions / praise of "hip hop" as a whole. Prefer to save the vitriol for the relative merits of Kanye West etcetera.

Don't really know how to define Hop Hop music - the tri-criteria thing was cribbed from Wikipedia. Guess I just wanted to clarify that it's not just "rap" music as conventionally known. Now spanning the globe over 30+ years and who knows how many languages, is there any one definition that can contain it all?  "Urban Beat"?

Speaking of non-English hip hop - I'm a big fan of French language MC Solaar even if don't  understand  most of what the guy is saying. The loops / samples etc kick ass though.

sts9fan

« Reply #25 on: 1 Dec 2013, 04:19 pm »
Has Kool Keith been mentioned? Dr Octogon is a classic and Q-Bert is a beast on the tables.
Half man alligator half shark...
I also love Del and his stuff with Kid Koala.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #26 on: 1 Dec 2013, 06:05 pm »
Don't really know how to define Hop Hop music - the tri-criteria thing was cribbed from Wikipedia.

"It's like trying to tell a stranger 'bout rock'n'roll...."

Cribbed from The Lovin' Spoonful    :wink:

D.D.

RDavidson

« Reply #27 on: 1 Dec 2013, 06:19 pm »
Has Kool Keith been mentioned? Dr Octogon is a classic and Q-Bert is a beast on the tables.
Half man alligator half shark...
I also love Del and his stuff with Kid Koala.

Kool Keith was great, even in his Electromagnetic MC days. Dr. Octogon is definitely underground classic. When I first heard it back in 1996-1997 timeframe, my mind was completely blown. The beats, the scratching, and the rhymes were totally new and unheard of. Weird? Definitely. Creative? Definitely. I love it. That album played a huge role in the underground scene and a lot of other very creative / "non-traditional" hip hop mixed works followed, from Handsome Boy Modeling School, El-P (Company Flow), Deltron 3030, Unkle, Aesop Rock etc. etc. Not saying these artists copied Dr. Octo, but they furthered the creative progression of the art of hip hop. Great stuff!

Q-bert is amazing. He's probably the best "technical" DJ of all time. The guy can do anything he wants with his turntables and can do it effortlessly.

RDavidson

« Reply #28 on: 1 Dec 2013, 06:26 pm »
Someone mentioned MC Solaar, which automatically made me think of Guru (and Gang Starr) who is/are also in my personal top 10. Guru was an amazing lyricist and DJ Premier is easily one of the best, most musically gifted, DJ's of all time.

R.I.P. Guru :cry:

Not sure what is going on and it's a very strange and messed up legal battle, but somehow MC Solaar now owns all the rights to Guru's music and DJ Premier was left with nothing. Something isn't right. :scratch:
« Last Edit: 1 Dec 2013, 09:53 pm by RDavidson »

sts9fan

« Reply #29 on: 1 Dec 2013, 07:59 pm »
Wow. Moving into the French language MCs.
I have Mach 6 and Cinquieme. Both good.

strider

« Reply #30 on: 2 Dec 2013, 03:08 am »
For my money, I'd say that Eric B. and Rakim were (are?) without a doubt the best MC/DJ duo. Microphone Fiend just crushes from the first note, Rakim lays back in the pocket and lets you know he's a force to be reckoned with.

RDavidson

« Reply #31 on: 2 Dec 2013, 03:49 am »
For my money, I'd say that Eric B. and Rakim were (are?) without a doubt the best MC/DJ duo. Microphone Fiend just crushes from the first note, Rakim lays back in the pocket and lets you know he's a force to be reckoned with.

+1 Classic classic classic........Microphone Fiend is one of the best hip hop songs of all time. Rakim is one of the best, if not THE BEST, MC of all time. The duo is one of the best, if not THE BEST, of all time. They changed the game.

Some songs that just hit me from the first beat or lyric (including Microphone Fiend) are Mass Appeal by Gang Starr, King of Rock by Run DMC, Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nuttin' to F Wit (by Wu-Tang of course), Straight Outta Compton by NWA, Southern Hospitality by Ludacris, Juicy by Notorious BIG, Fight the Power by Public Enemy......
Man, there are sooo many great songs, it's hard for me to really think of all of them that just hit me every single time I hear them.

This thread is great. :thumb:

strider

« Reply #32 on: 2 Dec 2013, 03:26 pm »
This thread is great. :thumb:

Agreed!

I no very little about any current rap, nice to have some direction to go a lookin'.

Another that I always come back to is A Tribe Called Quest, more specifically the albums The Low End Theory and Midnight Marauders. Intelligent lyrics delivered expertly, their first album was ok but didn't seem to gel as well as the second. When they got to The Love Movement, to me at least, you could tell they weren't getting along as well. Kinda seemed like their vision wasn't as focused on the common goal. The Michael Rappaport movie about the group really gave some insight into their break up. Really liked their live act,  caught them in a small club in Baltimore with Naughty by Nature as the surprise opener. Good times.

RDavidson

« Reply #33 on: 2 Dec 2013, 05:05 pm »
Agreed!

I no very little about any current rap, nice to have some direction to go a lookin'.

Another that I always come back to is A Tribe Called Quest, more specifically the albums The Low End Theory and Midnight Marauders. Intelligent lyrics delivered expertly, their first album was ok but didn't seem to gel as well as the second. When they got to The Love Movement, to me at least, you could tell they weren't getting along as well. Kinda seemed like their vision wasn't as focused on the common goal. The Michael Rappaport movie about the group really gave some insight into their break up. Really liked their live act,  caught them in a small club in Baltimore with Naughty by Nature as the surprise opener. Good times.

Tribe is great. Their first 4 albums are all really good, with Low End Theory being the overall best / most complete. De La Soul is great too for mellow, old school, intelligent, east coast, hip hop vibes. All their albums are consistently good. Luckily they didn't suffer drama as other groups have. I never saw the Michael Rappaport movie. I might have to check it out.

bonsai

« Reply #34 on: 2 Dec 2013, 06:31 pm »
Funk Master Flex - Vol 1 - 60 min of Funk

Great call on Guru...  Gang Star the Full Clip is unreal.  Jazzmatazz Vol 1, 2, 3

Mob Deep

I got to see the Fuges

Good stuff.

RDavidson

« Reply #35 on: 2 Dec 2013, 07:47 pm »
Funk Master Flex - Vol 1 - 60 min of Funk

Great call on Guru...  Gang Star the Full Clip is unreal.  Jazzmatazz Vol 1, 2, 3

Mob Deep

I got to see the Fuges

Good stuff.

Mobb Deep's first album (The Infamous) is classic east coast gangsta. GREAT Great album! Wish their following albums were as solid. They had some good tracks on their other albums though.

Fugees may possibly be the greatest hip hop group to release only 1 album....which is a huge shame.

R_burke

« Reply #36 on: 2 Dec 2013, 08:23 pm »
It shows my age, but I really like Tribe Called Quest and Dakah Hip Hop Orchestra.  I also second the emotion on early Spearhead

bonsai

« Reply #37 on: 2 Dec 2013, 11:19 pm »
It shows my age???  How about Public Enemy

bonsai

« Reply #38 on: 2 Dec 2013, 11:20 pm »
Nasty NAS

I nearly forgot about one I have in my car CD player right now!:

NAS  -  It was Written

mcgsxr

« Reply #39 on: 2 Dec 2013, 11:38 pm »
I listen to many types of music, and have some of this in the collection too.

Digable Planets
Beastie Boys (The In Sounds from Way Out is a personal fav)