Hip Hop Music

Crimson

Re: Hip Hop Music
« Reply #40 on: 2 Dec 2013, 11:48 pm »
I've got some favorites among Jay Z, Cypress Hill, Ice T, Method Man, Wu-Tang, Tupac, B.I.G., and Remy Ma, off the top of my head.

RDavidson

« Reply #41 on: 3 Dec 2013, 03:04 am »
Nas is great! If you're really into hip hop, you MUST listen to Illmatic, ESPECIALLY if you love east coast / NY hip hop. Keep in mind the time frame the album was made (1994). At that time west coast hip hop was still getting the most attention (Snoop, Dre. Nate Dog, Warren G, Ice Cube, Ice T, Eazy E). Nas dropped Illmatic and Wu-Tang dropped Enter the 36 Chambers (1993) but didn't get a lot of recognition until 1994 ; 2 atom bombs on the hip hop world in about the same time frame. West coast hip hop never really recovered. Of course there were great albums from Dre., Snoop, and Tupac, but east coast hip hop returned in full force after being overshadowed by the west. Even now, west coast hip hop doesn't have that "it factor" anymore except for The Game.

Nas never really topped Illmatic, which by many is considered the best hip hop album of all time if not at least somewhere in the top 10, but he still had some great songs on his following albums, such as One Mic and Made You Look.

wushuliu

« Reply #42 on: 3 Dec 2013, 03:35 am »
Wutang. As a lover of classic kung fu movies they pretty much were/are the greatest ever. ODB was a great loss - his solo album was terrific. They gave us Method Man, Ghostface, and RZA. Just amazing.

Mos Def's first album is genius. One of my top 5. Hell maybe number one.

I never really got into West Coast rap/NWA - a little too paranoid for my taste (now that I live in LA of course, I understand why). But they helped make Funkadelic/Parliament popular again and for that I'm forever grateful.

In fact I think I love the after effects/innovations of hip hop more than hip hop itself.

I'm also more a fan of the original hip hop - the Classic 60s/70s Jamaican djs and 'toasters', from whence the genre came.

roscoeiii

« Reply #43 on: 3 Dec 2013, 03:47 am »
Wutang. As a lover of classic kung fu movies they pretty much were/are the greatest ever.

Well, we will agree to disagree on that one. Not that Wu-Tang wasn't great. I have shown my Wu Wings on many occasions.

But greatest ever? My vote is for Eric B & Rakim (Follow the Leader, in particular). 2nd Place does to Ultramagnetic MCs (Critical Beatdown, in particular).

Wu would be in the top 10 I think. Maybe the rest of the night will involve figuring out what that Top 10 is for me.

wushuliu

« Reply #44 on: 3 Dec 2013, 03:53 am »
Well, we will agree to disagree on that one. Not that Wu-Tang wasn't great. I have shown my Wu Wings on many occasions.

But greatest ever? My vote is for Eric B & Rakim (Follow the Leader, in particular). 2nd Place does to Ultramagnetic MCs (Critical Beatdown, in particular).

Wu would be in the top 10 I think. Maybe the rest of the night will involve figuring out what that Top 10 is for me.

They quote so many of my favorite movies. They grew up watching the Saturday Afternoon Drive-In Theater like I did. It's impossible for me to not have them at the top. I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to agree!

RDavidson

« Reply #45 on: 3 Dec 2013, 03:59 am »
Wutang. As a lover of classic kung fu movies they pretty much were/are the greatest ever. ODB was a great loss - his solo album was terrific. They gave us Method Man, Ghostface, and RZA. Just amazing.

Mos Def's first album is genius. One of my top 5. Hell maybe number one.

I never really got into West Coast rap/NWA - a little too paranoid for my taste (now that I live in LA of course, I understand why). But they helped make Funkadelic/Parliament popular again and for that I'm forever grateful.

In fact I think I love the after effects/innovations of hip hop more than hip hop itself.

I'm also more a fan of the original hip hop - the Classic 60s/70s Jamaican djs and 'toasters', from whence the genre came.

When I first heard Wu Tang, my mind was blown. Kung fu themes, mixed with rugged beats and even more rugged east coast gangster lyrics. Each rapper had their own style that sounded completely different from the next, but they all came together harmoniously, thanks to the RZA. Just incredible. They are my all time favorite as well and I'm still a huge fan and still buy new albums when the come out. Ghost has emerged with several excellent solo albums. Raekwon came out with Only built For Cuban Linx 2 back in 2009, which I think is equally as good as Linx 1 (which for some Wu Tang fans is their favorite album). For me, still my favorite Wu albums are Enter the 36 Chambers and the a GZA's Liquid Swords. After that it's really a toss up between several solo albums and Wu Tang Forever.

roscoeiii

« Reply #46 on: 3 Dec 2013, 04:04 am »
They quote so many of my favorite movies. They grew up watching the Saturday Afternoon Drive-In Theater like I did. It's impossible for me to not have them at the top. I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to agree!

Yeah, makes sense and the were definitely super influential.

Another great rapper you might like is Jeru tha Damaja, if you haven't checked him out.

RDavidson

« Reply #47 on: 3 Dec 2013, 04:09 am »

Someone else mentioned Microphone Fiend, you mention Follow the Leader (both amazing songs on the same album Follow the Leader). Let's not forget Paid in Full. :thumb:

Speaking of agreeing to disagree, Ultramagnetic MC's were great, but number 2 is a pretty high spot in my book.....but it seems you're making an argument for individual albums not groups or careers as a whole. Critical Beatdown is indeed a great album, but I think is another case of a group or individual not being able to surpass the greatness of their first album.

roscoeiii

« Reply #48 on: 3 Dec 2013, 04:14 am »
Someone else mentioned Microphone Fiend, you mention Follow the Leader (both amazing songs on the same album Follow the Leader). Let's not forget Paid in Full. :thumb:

Speaking of agreeing to disagree, Ultramagnetic MC's were great, but number 2 is a pretty high spot in my book.....but it seems you're making an argument for individual albums not groups or careers as a whole. Critical Beatdown is indeed a great album, but I think is another case of a group or individual not being able to surpass the greatness of their first album.

All valid points for sure.

Yeah, Paid in Full is a great album, just behind Follow The Leader in my book. And yeah Ultramagnetic really peaked with Critical Beatdown.

In other Rakim news, I was given VIP tickets to see Rakim on my birthday this year. Really great show. He even brought his dog on stage! Got to shake his hand after the show. Helluva good birthday this year.

RDavidson

« Reply #49 on: 3 Dec 2013, 04:14 am »
Yeah, makes sense and the were definitely super influential.

Another great rapper you might like is Jeru tha Damaja, if you haven't checked him out.

Jeru is really good. Don't quote me on this, but I believe DJ Premier did all the production and scratching on at least Jeru's first 2 albums. The song Come Clean has one of the absolute sickest beats ever produced.

RDavidson

« Reply #50 on: 3 Dec 2013, 04:16 am »
All valid points for sure.

Yeah, Paid in Full is a great album, just behind Follow The Leader in my book. And yeah Ultramagnetic really peaked with Critical Beatdown.

In other Rakim news, I was given VIP tickets to see Rakim on my birthday this year. Really great show. He even brought his dog on stage! Got to shake his hand after the show. Helluva good birthday this year.

Nice! That's awesome! I'd love to see Rakim.............but would settle and be pretty happy if I could just catch an Atmosphere show. :thumb:

roscoeiii

« Reply #51 on: 3 Dec 2013, 04:46 am »
Nice! That's awesome! I'd love to see Rakim.............but would settle and be pretty happy if I could just catch an Atmosphere show. :thumb:

Funny you mention Atmosphere. Slug the MC worked at my favorite Twin Cities music stores when I was in college (Electric Fetus ). And my mid-90s hip-hop collection is better for it. After Overcast came out they played at my school and all came back to a party at my house after the show.

Also love Brother Ali on that label.

RDavidson

« Reply #52 on: 3 Dec 2013, 05:36 am »
Alright. You win. :thumb: You got to go to a Rakim show this year AND you got to hang out with Slug years ago. My coolest hip hop show / experience was back in college. In 1996 I got to see Run DMC in a small club venue. Souls of Mischief and Hieroglyphics opened. I was right up next to the stage the entire time with no one in front of me, but the artists. After the show, Run gave me his gold rope chain and DMC gave me the pair of Adidas right off his feet, then chilled out shoeless the rest of the night with me and one of my best friends. He ordered a glass of milk which was kinda weird. The bartender had to run across the street to a restaurant to get it. Okay, I'm totally making up that last part. :lol:

Have you kept up with Atmosphere? I heard the album Lucy Ford during my last semester in college and the rest was history. They're easily one of my all time favorite groups. Seven's Travels and To All My Friends might be my favorite Atmosphere albums, though Lucy Ford is classic (to me at least). Of all hip hop I've ever listened to (most of which I can only truly "understand" from a distance), Atmosphere actually makes songs / tells stories I can truly relate to. It speaks to my soul. Love it.

Yes, Brother Ali is also really good. I only have one of his albums, but definitely wouldn't mind owning more.

roscoeiii

« Reply #53 on: 3 Dec 2013, 01:33 pm »
Oh, there is no win or lose. I also love Hieroglyphics. Their album Third Eye Vision is a classsic. Must have come out around 96 or so.

From the late 90s I also love Jurrasic 5 and Blackalicious.

RDavidson

« Reply #54 on: 3 Dec 2013, 04:25 pm »
Oh, there is no win or lose. I also love Hieroglyphics. Their album Third Eye Vision is a classsic. Must have come out around 96 or so.

From the late 90s I also love Jurrasic 5 and Blackalicious.

All great stuff.

Have two J5 albums, actually. Saw them at the same small club venue where I saw Run DMC a couple of years prior. Rahzel opened the show, which was VERY entertaining. Then the Bombshelter DJ's put on a show (Z-Trip, Radar, and 2 other guys who I can't remember the names of for the life of me right now). Then, of course, Cut Chemist performed with J5. Awesome show. Man, that was a long time ago. Good times.

Blackalicious is great too. I became a fan immediately after hearing the A-Z EP. I bought the album NIA as soon as I could find it. I kinda miss having to dig for treasure, but am glad now to be able to just get online and find what I need, for the most part. Blazing Arrow is also an excellent album. I haven't heard The Craft unfortunately. It came out during a time when I fell out of the underground hip hop loop for awhile. It was post college, life got very hectic, and me and my friends had all gone our separate ways 2-3 years prior trying to get our footing in this world.

Speaking of Z-Trip (earlier), have you heard the song Breakfast Club? If not, do so ASAP. You'll love it.

RDavidson

« Reply #55 on: 4 Dec 2013, 04:06 am »
Let's keep this thread going. Here's another:
Das Efx

Discuss. :thumb:

roscoeiii

« Reply #56 on: 4 Dec 2013, 04:21 am »
Let's keep this thread going. Here's another:
Das Efx

Discuss. :thumb:

Funny you mention them. They opened for Yo La Tengo ant my college's outdoor spring concert. In a meadow, frisbees flying. Only real connection with the crowd was a love of weed.

roscoeiii

« Reply #57 on: 4 Dec 2013, 04:24 am »
And yeah. I think Premier produced those first 2 Jeru albums.

Also love the turntable scene. The Return of the DJ compilations are incredible. And there are the X-ecutioners, Beat Junkies and the Scratch Picklez. Killer stuff.

roscoeiii

« Reply #58 on: 4 Dec 2013, 04:27 am »
And a criminally slept on Classic is No ID's solo album.

He is best known as a producer. Common's early albums, then he taught Kanye the craft (check the Kanye shout outs to him in a song or so), and he did most of the production on the most recent Nas LP (best Nas in a while).

RDavidson

« Reply #59 on: 4 Dec 2013, 04:39 am »
And yeah. I think Premier produced those first 2 Jeru albums.

Also love the turntable scene. The Return of the DJ compilations are incredible. And there are the X-ecutioners, Beat Junkies and the Scratch Picklez. Killer stuff.

X-ecutioners! That's who I saw with J5. Not The Bombshelter DJ's. Man, how did I forget Rob Swift!
Have you listened to any of the Live at The Future Primitive Sound Sessions? Really good stuff, though I think Z-Trip's and Radar's Return of the DJ's volume is the best of the bunch that I've heard.