Lets see your O.B. speakers....!

Jstower

Re: Lets see your O.B. speakers....!
« Reply #480 on: 16 Dec 2020, 02:19 pm »
What drivers are you using in your setup..?
 :popcorn:

I just came across, Pure Audio Project Quintet 15

https://hifipig.com/pureaudioproject-quintet15-wall-of-sound-open-baffle-speakers/

sfdoddsy

« Reply #481 on: 13 Feb 2021, 07:53 am »
Finished. 3 way passive open baffles. AST2560, Neo10, Satori WO24P. Corian baffle, sealed walnut bass enclosure.

JCarney

« Reply #482 on: 13 Feb 2021, 10:08 am »
Well done sfdoddsy! Those look very good, and I bet they sound very good as well. I'd say enjoy, but I'm guessing you already are.

JCarney

radarnyc

« Reply #483 on: 13 Feb 2021, 01:36 pm »

Digital XO done into Roon.

In-room response at my listening position:

Very nice! Questions:
1. Is the red part of room a wall or absorption panels running the length?
2. XO via Roon - do you DSP or XO? What is the. Actual setup to do a Dig XO via Roon?

Thanks,

pompon

« Reply #484 on: 14 Feb 2021, 12:50 am »
Very nice! Questions:
1. Is the red part of room a wall or absorption panels running the length?
2. XO via Roon - do you DSP or XO? What is the. Actual setup to do a Dig XO via Roon?
Thanks,

The red panels are 4 inch broadband absorbers.
On the top, gik gridfuser .

I do both XO and DSP

< 45hz (18db/oct) for my subs
between 45-300hz (18db/oct) for my woofers (18inch)
between 300-2800 (18dB/oct) for my fullrange wooders (10inch)
> 2800hz (18db/oct) for the tweeters.

I tried 12db/18db/24db/48db and 96db/oct.

24dB+ isolate too much one drivers. I am pretty close 8.5feets away from the speakers.
12dB is good but I have less precision than the 24.

18dB was a great compromise between natural and precision in my setup.

I am using Acourate software to generate XO and room correction.

Bumpy

« Reply #485 on: 21 Feb 2021, 03:03 pm »
Here's mine

Chops

« Reply #486 on: 21 Feb 2021, 04:15 pm »
I've been away from the DIY OB scene for a few years, but I'm back with my old project, and this time I plan on finalizing it and finishing it with proper baffles.

This is just all a temp setup, just for "proof of concept". These are the same drivers and dbx Venu 360 that I used a few years ago, but now in a much more suitable room, and with better gear overall ahead of it. I'll break down the entire system, as well as future plans...

Schiit Freya+ with NOS GE 6FQ7's and 6CG7's as the current tubes of choice. The Freya+ is being fed from from a Raspberry Pi 4 wirelessly via USB to a Schiit Bifrost 2 Multibit. From the Freya+, signal heads to the dbx Driverack Venu 360.

Audio Nirvana Super 12 Ferrite, powered by the Emotiva XPA 2 Gen 2, and crossed over at 35 Hz.

Eminence Acoustinator N1202, powered by Nuprime STA 9 (top one), and crossed over from 50 Hz to 190 Hz.

JL Audio e110 subwoofers, fed signal by second Nuprime STA 9 via high level input, and crossed over at 60 Hz.

All interconnects are Wireworld and Pangea XLR balanced cables.

Once I decide on a baffle design, it will be built with two layers of 0.75" Baltic Birch plywood for a nice and solid 1.5" thickness. The baffles won't be much wider than they are now, if at all. I have two pairs of the Eminence Acoustinator N1202 drivers and will wire them in parallel for a nominal 4 ohm load. So far with just two of them playing in the system (one per side), they are very impressive in their bass response and output capabilities. Running two per side in parallel will only make them that more efficient and dynamic, which they already are on their own.

As for the baffle design, I'm still on the fence as to how I'm going to go, whether it be a spin-off of the Pure Audio style or just a single, solid baffle, and whether or not I will have both bass drivers on the bottom, or one above and one below... a.k.a. - D' Appolito style.

As far as the current sound I'm getting?... Absolutely shocking honestly. Right now I'm streaming Andrew Jones' Elac demo playlist on Qobuz (running via Roon). Vocal naturalness, dynamics, weight and life-size presence and height is incredibly realistic, to the point of being "spooky" or "eerie" and sending chills right down your spine. Heck, even when I was in the kitchen making my coffee earlier, I swore someone came walking into the room and started talking. It scared the crap out of me! LOL

So far, all instruments have proper weight, heft, meat to them and great texture and tonality. The amount of detail throughout the entire range is excellent. And the treble... Let's not forget about that. All three of my brothers were over last night for dinner and a movie. They picked whatever they wanted to listen to music-wise while dinner was cooking. All three of them swore that I had some tweeters installed somewhere. LOL  The treble extension on these Audio Nirvana Super 12's is amazing. Full of "zip", airy, crisp, but still silky smooth, detailed and non-fatiguing. And there's absolutely zero EQ correction up that high in the Auto EQ. In fact, the highest EQ correction is +1.5 dB at 8.25 kHz at a Q of 6.24.

Because the baffles are currently standing directly on the suspended wood floor, you can feel each and every note, foot stomp, bass drum kick, bass string come right through the floor, and that's all coming from those two single 12" bass drivers. The JL subs are 4" off the floor on IsoAcoustics ISO-200 sub isolators, so I get very little energy transfer from them through the floor.

And lastly, sounds stage is deep, wide and tall when needed, and imaging is pretty spot on. The funny thing is, these open baffles just replaced my beloved pair of Martin Logan SL3's which I had dialed in as good as they could be in this room. Those SL3's sound excellent, but these ugly little OB's are bringing a lot more to the table right now.

Here's a few pics taken earlier today...

Chops

« Reply #487 on: 22 Feb 2021, 01:06 am »

Poultrygeist

« Reply #488 on: 22 Feb 2021, 12:29 pm »
Here's mine

Love the yin and yang drivers.

Ishcabible

« Reply #489 on: 22 Feb 2021, 07:39 pm »
Here’s one of my LXMinis:

I wanted a project to complete last summer and the LXMini was always something that interested me because I wanted something open baffle but didn’t really have the space for one. The LXMini looked like a way to get around that issue and I’ve been enjoying it a good bit ever since but the itch to build something else is starting to creep up again now that I’ve moved and have a little more space. I really enjoy the LX’s imaging but I find myself wanting a bit more in terms of timbre and bass impact.

mcgsxr

« Reply #490 on: 22 Feb 2021, 08:16 pm »
Chops - nice speaker experiment.

What are those cat sacks?  2 of mine might like those. 

Chops

« Reply #491 on: 22 Feb 2021, 09:57 pm »
Chops - nice speaker experiment.

What are those cat sacks?  2 of mine might like those.

Thank you. Was listening to them all day yesterday, tweaking crossover points and running the Auto EQ. These are by far the best sounding speakers I have now, by a long shot. And that's comparing them to Martin Logan SL3's, NHT 2.9's, just to name a couple. They outperform my oldest brother's Magnepan 1.7's, and my other brother's Monitor Audio Bronze 500's. That's not only me saying that, but they also said that this past weekend.

As for the kitty beds, they're something new that PetsMart is carrying. https://www.petsmart.com/cat/beds-and-furniture/cuddler-beds/whisker-city-grey-marble-snuggle-cave-cuddler-cat-bed-61182.html

Our kitties love them, so we'll definitely be getting a few more.

Chops

« Reply #492 on: 23 Feb 2021, 12:38 am »
Looking back on a few old posts from when I first bought these Audio Nirvana drivers, and just realized that I totally forgot that I purchased a total of four pairs of these Eminence bass drivers!

Gotta go back to the drawing board and figure out how I'm going to implement all eight of these 12" drivers. I had originally planned on building something along the lines of the Pure Audio Quintet line, but I don't think I want to have these speakers standing that tall. Hmm...

Bumpy

« Reply #493 on: 27 Feb 2021, 11:39 am »

Nice system. Do you struggle with balancing the left and right speakers as one has a window for early reflections and the other a wide open doorway?

Shame that Audio Nirvana drivers are not easily available in the UK.

Chops

« Reply #494 on: 28 Feb 2021, 02:14 pm »
Nice system. Do you struggle with balancing the left and right speakers as one has a window for early reflections and the other a wide open doorway?

Shame that Audio Nirvana drivers are not easily available in the UK.

Thank you. Surprisingly, no. I've had everything from NHT 2.9's, GR-Research X-Statik's, Klipsch Heresy III's, JBL Studio 530's, Martin Logan SL3's, and these nasty looking open baffles (LOL), and have never had any balance issues. Even when I close that door on the left, nothing changes. I think most of that has to do with the fact that I sit so close to the speakers. That and that fluffy, plush area rug I have in the room, which helped tremendously.

It looks like I have a lot of room in my pictures and that I sit a good distance away, but that's just because of the wide angle lens I use on my phone. The speakers are typically 9' or so apart at their centers (almost 5' from front wall and 2.5' from the side walls), and I sit roughly 9' to 10' in front of them and the rear wall is about 4' behind me. The room itself is 12.5' x 15.5' x 8' IIRC.

I could be off a little on those measurements, but the point being is that I basically sit in the nearfield.

It's a shame it's difficult for you to get Audio Nirvana drivers over in the UK. If you ever come across a pair for a really good deal, you should definitely pick them up.

They really are great sounding drivers. I love these things. We were watching the David Gilmore - Live at Pompeii concert last night at some pretty loud volumes, and man, these speakers are so extremely effortless, clean, clear and life-like. So much dynamic range, snap and energy. A wide, expansive sound stage and great detail and extension without ever being fatiguing. These completely blow away ALL of my other speakers combined. And that's a tall order considering their direct competition are the GR-Research X-Statik's with fully upgraded crossovers and No-Rez installed, and the excellent Martin Logan SL3's.

These little, ugly OB's simply dominate in all aspects. The only downside is the slapped together baffles (from scrap wood I had laying around) have a tendency to rattle from time to time with certain bass notes at high volumes, but again, these baffles were ONLY meant to be a temporary thing just to break in those AN drivers.

The funny thing is, if they sound this good now, I can't even begin to imagine how great they are going to sound when I add in the other six 12" bass drivers and on the finished baffles!!!

Chops

« Reply #495 on: 8 Mar 2021, 03:52 am »
Been tweaking speaker positioning more, adjusting levels, crossover points and such. Really getting these dialed in. The result of all that work was that the AutoEQ in the dbx Venu 360 had to implement a lot less in order to make corrections.
Afterwards, I played my reference songs from Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight, I Don't Care Anymore, and Genesis - Mama. Songs/albums that I have lived and breathed for the past 30+ years. Also Carley Simon -Coming Around Again and Sting - Why Should I Cry For You and When The Angels Fall.

Especially while playing the Phil Collins and Genesis tracks, tonight was the first time in a very long time that my system made me get chills down my spine and actually start laughing to myself because how damn good it sounded! The last time this happened was when I was running HUGE open baffles back in the early 2000's with Usher Audio 15" drivers and Altec Voice Of The Theater 511B horns and 908-8b drivers. And this system is more refined than that system was, and much smaller by comparison!

Sheer dynamic swing, purely effortless slam, in-the-room vocals and drums, stage width and depth galore! And the naturalness and realistic presentation of it all... And this is STILL with the flimsy temp baffles and only one bass driver per side. I still have six more of these Eminence Acoustinator N2012 drivers to install (three per channel).

This is the RTA on the dbx Venu 360 after all the tweaking and running AutoEQ again, now with a lot less processing needed.

Bumpy

« Reply #496 on: 12 Dec 2021, 08:40 am »
Latest upgrade to my baffles

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #497 on: 12 Dec 2021, 11:25 pm »
Wow nice woofers.
What preamp is this ?

Bumpy

« Reply #498 on: 13 Dec 2021, 08:31 am »
Here's the system

Source
SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
SW1X USB II
SW1X DAC III Special
Amps
Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil resistors, AN tantalum bypass resistors and silver wired.
Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W......Decware Taboo 6W......Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK 9W......ICE Power 1000W
Speakers
Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers (no crossovers or pass filters). 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers with dedicated amp using MiniDSP
Occasional REL T5i sub
Cabling
Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2021, 10:10 am by Bumpy »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #499 on: 13 Dec 2021, 04:24 pm »
I have 2 systems, both with OB speakers.  GR Research Super 7's downstairs and Spatial Audio X3's upstairs:

GR Research Super 7's:

Spatial Audio X3's: