The Clapton Controversy

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
The Clapton Controversy
« on: 28 May 2013, 03:35 pm »
I am a big Eric Clapton fan. With the release of his latest CD "Old Stock" a segment of his fans are disappointed and complaining this is a continuing of uninteresting music and failures of CD such as the "Clapton" 2010 and Wynton Marsalis 2011.

Well, the more I have listened to "old stock" I have to disagree. I am really on a few of the song such as "The Folks Who Live on the Hill", Got Get Over, All of Me, Goodnight Irene, and still the others songs I like. The guitar parts are not long ragging runs but there are some very taste full licks. More so there is something about his voice, no he is not singing like contestants of America Idol or TheVoice in a match to win it all, but he has the style that makes the song endear to the listener on this CD, just has he has done throughout his career.

No, I have not always liked every song that Eric Clapton wrote or performed, but still the ones I do like are iconic standards.

This is a different CD for him but anyone who has ever heard him Live ( I did, last concert in 2010) or ever seen him play in crossroads concerts have to be amazed at his performance. He maybe slowing down some but he is still one of the best ever.

What do you think?

WC

Re: The Clapton Controversy
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2013, 03:46 pm »
I didn't like the album. I only listened to it once and didn't plan on listening to it ever again. The songs just didn't interest me. I am not a big Clapton fan. I only have a few of his albums, but I won't be getting this one.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2013, 03:56 pm »
While I have not listening this latest Clapton album, I like him as a guitarist.
Unfortunately he is not a great composer, or Iam expecting too much from him.
When he compose alone his talent seems to be FM pop songs as Tears in Heaven.
In the Cream era Jack Bruce and Clapton made memorable songs.
A great album to listen Clapton is Final Cut where he plays guitar for Roger Waters.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2013, 04:08 pm »
I liked "Old Sock" a lot. There's a trend going on. Willie, Aaron Neville and Clapton have all released albums with songs older than they are. I'm sure there will be more.

Doc

DTB300

« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2013, 05:04 pm »
I have "Old Sock" and really like the album - of course being a Clapton fan.   Glad I purchased it.   But then again being able to hear it first with Rhapsody (or whatever you favorite streaming site is) helped.

This album reminds me of his older albums back in the late 70's early 80's:  There is one in every crowd, 461, No Reason to Cry, Just one night, Backless, etc.

MttBsh

« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2013, 07:17 pm »
I'm likely in the minority here, but I didn't care for his "laidback" period in the 70s, I saw him on the 74 tour where Santana opened for him, and I thought he was "OK". Oddly, I think his performances beginning in the late 80s until now have featured his finest playing ever. When I listen to his playing during his recent tours with Winwood, for example, I'm hard pressed to think of a better guitarist performing today. His albums? That's a different story. I haven't heard, nor am I interested in hearing Old Sock. As someone else mentioned, Clapton to me is a much better guitarist than songwriter.

brother love

« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2013, 07:45 pm »
I'm likely in the minority here, but I didn't care for his "laidback" period in the 70s, I saw him on the 74 tour where Santana opened for him, and I thought he was "OK". Oddly, I think his performances beginning in the late 80s until now have featured his finest playing ever. When I listen to his playing during his recent tours with Winwood, for example, I'm hard pressed to think of a better guitarist performing today. His albums? That's a different story. I haven't heard, nor am I interested in hearing Old Sock. As someone else mentioned, Clapton to me is a much better guitarist than songwriter.

+1.  I too saw Clapton during that 461 Ocean Boulevard tour w/ Santana.  Liked the album, but his playing on that tour screamed "burn out" (or stoned/ drunk whatever ...).  Saw him in the late 90's on the "Pilgrim" tour & his playing was exceptional. He was more comfortable too with playing more of his classic signature songs like White Room, Sunsine of your love, etc..

Those Crossroads concerts a few years back that Clapton formulated with all the great guitarists was the last I had heard him play.

When I listen to Clapton, I go to the Cream albums (particularly live cuts like "Sleepy Time Time"), & THE "go to" album for Clapton is still Derek & the Dominos-Layla in my book.

Haven't heard the new album yet, but might if it's on Spotify.

Now Jeff Beck is another matter.  He was always my favorite guitarist.  I listen to his releases from beginning to current regularly.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2013, 08:08 pm »
I remember seeing Clapton, in an interview, watching Jeff Beck off stage and turning to the interviewer and referring to himself, Page and Beck, "He's the best of all of us, you know".

Doc

rooze

« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2013, 08:52 pm »
I remember seeing Clapton, in an interview, watching Jeff Beck off stage and turning to the interviewer and referring to himself, Page and Beck, "He's the best of all of us, you know".

Doc

Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's is one of my all-time favorite concert vids. Clapton made an appearance on 3 or 4 tracks but Beck was in another league imho.

As for Clapton's solo stuff, I haven't heard anything original that's decent since the late 70's.

I saw him in Milw a few years back. I was embarrassed for him - he was playing quiet/solo-acoustic stuff and people were wandering about the venue drinking beer, eating pizza and 'chatting'. Show some respect you douchebags  :lol:

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2013, 09:02 pm »
I can't imagine it could ever get better than this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIBxn8arV3w).  Ever since I found the "24 Nights" live album at The Royal Albert Hall I was convinced Eric Clapton was a guitar god.  Are there better albums by him out there?

kenreau

« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2013, 09:46 pm »
The "24 Nights" live album is great.  I've always had "Slowhand" at the top of his studio albums.  I'll see if I can pick up Old Sock at the library and check it out.  He's definitely mailed in a few albums over the decades.  I recall a critic once wrote it's hard to have the Blues after you're a millionaire.

Kenreau

geowak

« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2013, 10:26 pm »
I think it's not realistic to like every album or song by a given artist. It's nonsensical. Eric Clapton has been in many bands and made music over decades. Because he, not unlike other very good musical artists, has changed his music to venture out into uncharted musical waters, if you will, we are bound to "not like" some of these albums and songs???

Now if he started an attempt to bring back "disco" into his music, well I would have to burn all his albums. :lol:  he he he

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #12 on: 29 May 2013, 01:49 am »
I think it's not realistic to like every album or song by a given artist. It's nonsensical. Eric Clapton has been in many bands and made music over decades. Because he, not unlike other very good musical artists, has changed his music to venture out into uncharted musical waters, if you will, we are bound to "not like" some of these albums and songs???

I think it's entirely realistic to like every album or song by some artists - I can think of a bunch where I've enjoyed their entire body of work and look forward to what they're going to do next ( if they're still releasing new music ). Clapton is not one of those I would include in that group but he certainly has done some things I enjoy, usually when he is being driven by the people around him ie: Bluesbreakers, Cream, Derek and the Dominos. Left to his own devices, he makes safe and lazy music but manages to pull the odd rabbit out of the hat and resuscitate his career. From The Cradle comes to mind immediately as an example.
I spent a lot of time in the 90's listening to blues and after getting heavily into the catalogues of artists like Buddy Guy, the Three Kings, Otis Rush, Hubert Sumlin, and others, I found Clapton to be pretty weak tea compared to those cats. Both as a player and as an artist. Clapton is God? Maybe then, to people who didn't know better. Even back then, Buddy Guy would have annihilated him any night of the week. Still could. With ease.

But that's just my opinion...and I could be wrong.

D.D.

Wasatch

« Reply #13 on: 29 May 2013, 03:00 am »
The only Clapton I like is with the Bluesbreakers, Cream, Blind Faith. Yeah, Jeff Beck ran circles around Clapton on that Live at Ronnie Scott's video.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #14 on: 29 May 2013, 06:10 am »
I never understood Clapton's fame until I heard him in concert back in the late 80's, which was incredibly good.  I think 24 Nights really captures that. And some of the live Cream albums as well. And for those reasons I'm thinking he just might be a better live performer than an album artist.  Gives him a chance to cut loose, or whatever. 

kenreau

« Reply #15 on: 31 May 2013, 12:11 am »
I think it's entirely realistic to like every album or song by some artists - I can think of a bunch where I've enjoyed their entire body of work and look forward to what they're going to do next ( if they're still releasing new music ). Clapton is not one of those I would include in that group but he certainly has done some things I enjoy, usually when he is being driven by the people around him ie: Bluesbreakers, Cream, Derek and the Dominos. Left to his own devices, he makes safe and lazy music but manages to pull the odd rabbit out of the hat and resuscitate his career. From The Cradle comes to mind immediately as an example.
I spent a lot of time in the 90's listening to blues and after getting heavily into the catalogues of artists like Buddy Guy, the Three Kings, Otis Rush, Hubert Sumlin, and others, I found Clapton to be pretty weak tea compared to those cats. Both as a player and as an artist. Clapton is God? Maybe then, to people who didn't know better. Even back then, Buddy Guy would have annihilated him any night of the week. Still could. With ease.

But that's just my opinion...and I could be wrong.

D.D.

Yeah, what he said.  Buddy Guy is the last living king to rule them all. 

Kenreau

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #16 on: 31 May 2013, 01:15 am »
I think that the heroin addiction took a lot out of EC as he just never seemed to consistently play with the same fire after that.
Perhaps his musical tastes just changed as he aged?  He can still turn it on when he wants to.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #17 on: 31 May 2013, 01:36 am »
Eric Clapton is a legendary guitarist, singer, and entertainer. He's earned his chops, and can record whatever the hell he wants.

Personally, I like the older Eric Clapton better than I ever liked the younger Eric Clapton. He killed it during the 12-12-12 concert.

If this were a RIP thread....   :?

Have fun,

Jerry

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #18 on: 31 May 2013, 01:49 am »
I've grown up listening to EC.
Unfortunately, the local radio stations shoved, 'I Shot The Sheriff", and "Layla", and "Cocaine", down our throats, so naturally....I disliked him.
It just got old. He just got old.

Having grown away from those stations I've had a chance to re-discover Mr. Clapton.
I have not heard the new album, but am now looking forward to it.
His Crossroads Festivals are awesome and taught me to respect the man and his music.

Bob --- A new fan.

geowak

« Reply #19 on: 31 May 2013, 02:33 am »
Crossroads concerts. YES Awesome! Very, very good talent there. Great cause. Awesome. Saw them all!