The Clapton Controversy

2bigears

Re: The Clapton Controversy
« Reply #40 on: 24 Jun 2013, 09:09 pm »
 :D  Tell the truth, whole truth and nothing but 'THE TRUTH'.  The big boys of music like The Stones, Aerosmith, Bruce Springsteen, And others have had some crazy good work. But i wouldn't pay over 25 bucks a ticket for them now when they are charging 500.  Wowwww. Never thought i would see this day. It's time for some of these guys to pack her up. Either get help and support with new stuff to change-up and freshen, or rely on your old workings. Changing times i guess.Most new music sucks balls. It's not sad music but if i listen to a video station playing new crap,after about 2 songs and the stupid video with it,i want to shot myself in the brain. Where are the icons for our kids,,,,THERE ARE NONE
      EC was great, Slowhand was a cool record. :D

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #41 on: 25 Jun 2013, 11:17 am »
rajacat,
no, not my boat. That's sitting just offshore of Lahaina.

I should also mention the Cream Live at Albert Hall had some great Clapton moments as well as for Jack and Ginger..

The Crossroad festivals were great in that Clapton was called on stage many times and he always played in support of the music and the others that were performing.

Anxious for the next one to be released!

Kim S.

« Reply #42 on: 26 Jun 2013, 09:12 am »
I'm not a fan of Clapton, but I did enjoy the Crossroad festivals on DVD.  Clapton was very gracious when he played in support of his guests.  He did not try to show off and let the guests playing be at the forefront.

dB Cooper

« Reply #43 on: 26 Jun 2013, 12:51 pm »
Clapton is possibly the world's most overrated guitarist. It's not that he isn't good- he is- it's just that the whole "Eric Clapton is God" thing got started by people who didn't realize that those awesome blues licks were actually copied from black American players they had not heard. Clapton was just the first one they heard doing it. So he got the reputation. There are any number of players I think could run Clapton off the stage in a "cutting" situation- Stevie Ray Vaughan, Charlie Baty, Jeff Beck just to name a few. Imagine "Layla" without Duane Allman.

Haven't heard the album the OP referred to so can't comment but my reaction to most recent Clapton has been "Ho-hum." And as 2bigears says, most new music sucks balls. Check out this picture from the "Warped" tour (whoever they are). Judging from the number of faces in the crowd, this meets the entertainment needs of today's concertgoer.

jackman

« Reply #44 on: 26 Jun 2013, 01:26 pm »
Hi dB,

For years I was in the "Clapton is overrated" camp, until I saw him handling guitar duties for Roger Waters on Waters' solo tour.  As a Gilmour fan, I was expecting Clapton to embarrass himself.  The reality was quite the opposite.  Clapton put on an amazing show.  He was tucked in a corner with Rodgeroccupying the center stage and spotlight and his rendition of every Floyd song was incredible.  He didn't mimic Gilmour but his version of every guitar piece made me understand his talent first hand.

Clapton might not be the most original guitarist but he is a true historian of blues and Rock and he has the ability to play so many styles.  I walked away from that show with a deep appreciation of his skill as an axe man.   The whole guitar god thing was a marketing creation.  Clapton is a shy guy and I don't think he liked that type of hype or exposure. 

I'm not a fan of much of his stuff but he deserves much of the accolades he has received.  This is just my opinion.  Check out From the Cradle.  Great blues album.

geowak

« Reply #45 on: 26 Jun 2013, 04:46 pm »
I would agree Clapton is great. I think he's great because he is a tremendous guitar player and he has done great things, that make him legendary. His Crossroads festivals have brought together the best guitarists and muscians for many to see and hear. Having fun and having raised over 20 million dollars for Antigua's drug rehab center. What a worthy cause from a man who has had his own problems. These kind of efforts make him great IMHO
BTW there have been a fair number of talented musicians who died from drug usage and complications. Afterwhich they were tagged "great". I think it's more fitting to admire an artist who beat an addiction, and went further to educate, bring attention to the problem and help treat people who have problems.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #46 on: 28 Jun 2013, 12:08 am »
That is a great picture of the empty cabinets - how humiliating!

FireGuy

« Reply #47 on: 28 Jun 2013, 12:10 am »
That is a great picture of the empty cabinets - how humiliating!

Yup,  rather sad indeed.

jackman

« Reply #48 on: 28 Jun 2013, 01:38 am »
That's pretty common, especially with hard rock bands.   I remember a Van Halen concert in the 80's where they had a giant wall of Marshall stacks.  No way those amps were all plugged in and cranked up.  It looks cool and makes a nice decoration.  I just can't believe the backs if the amps weren't covered. That's just sloppy!

dB Cooper

« Reply #49 on: 28 Jun 2013, 03:27 am »
I wasn't saying that Clapton isn't talented; it's just that he is literally worshipped by some; it's that that I think is waaay off the mark. There are lots of guitarists I think are as good or in some cases better- some, like SRV, are well known; some like Charlie Baty of Little Charlie and the Nightcats, less so.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #50 on: 28 Jun 2013, 04:01 am »
~
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2014, 03:51 pm by Mike Nomad »

ZENTISH

« Reply #51 on: 28 Jun 2013, 04:36 pm »
Hi all,  I listen to many different blues guitarists ( Gary Moore, Michael Bloomfield, Robin Ford just to name a few) and think they are all Gods after trying to play a guitar as well as them! LOL!  I think Clapton has mellowed since his "Clapton is God" days back in the 60's. To hear what I'm talking about get the DVD of "Cream at Royal Albert Hall" that they did in the late 60's
(I think it was their last performance before they broke up, kind of like a farewell concert) and then watch the more recent reunion concert, to me, his playing on the one from the 60's is always just on the edge of what he is technically capable of doing, and on the newer one he plays it safe and never pushes the envelope.  I think that he loses some fire even though you can see he has improved allot and is faster and smoother than in the old days. I think playing blues guitar is more about feeling and emotion than technical prowess.
Just my 2 cents- Tish

Mike B.

« Reply #52 on: 28 Jun 2013, 05:46 pm »
I have been a Clapton fan since the 1960's. More so then than now. I agree he seems to be at his best when he is a guest with another star. I am thinking of all those collaborations with Delaney and Bonnie, George Harrison, etc.  I assume getting clean and growing up was a big part in how his music has changed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir2eAEhtXvE

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #53 on: 28 Jun 2013, 07:51 pm »
What controversy? He can play in any band of mine anytime he wants. :lol:

Doc

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #54 on: 8 Feb 2014, 06:50 pm »
I thought about this ancient thread when I was reading about Clapton going from Gibson to Fender guitars and how his playing suffered.
Check this out to see someone really make a 335 sing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVaYwUAOeTY&feature=player_embedded

2bigears

« Reply #55 on: 8 Feb 2014, 06:57 pm »
 :D   MT boxes,,,, Wowwww .. That's show biz   :lol:

jackman

« Reply #56 on: 8 Feb 2014, 08:16 pm »
I thought about this ancient thread when I was reading about Clapton going from Gibson to Fender guitars and how his playing suffered.
Check this out to see someone really make a 335 sing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVaYwUAOeTY&feature=player_embedded

Not sure how that clip proves anything.  Clapton's playing didn't suffer when he went to Fender, I think it improved.   That clip you posted was from a Freddie King tribute and it only made sense for Clapton to use a 335 because that's what King used (or at least a Gibby semi hollow).   
Here is a clip of Clapton using several guitars including the 335 and a Strat.  He sounds pretty good on both but I'll always associate his playing with Fender even though the Cream stuff was mostly Gibson SG.

Personally, I love things about Gibson and Fender guitars.  I prefer the Gibson scale but Fender guitars are pretty indestructible, lightweight and fun to play.   Clapton's decline in the 70s had more to do with his drug problems than guitar choices.

Here he is working his magic on both guitars.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CB6Nxs7zHoY

Sorry I couldn't resist.  Here is Clapton playing several different guitars. It's hard for me to pick a favorite. He plays them all so beautifully.  Check out the early clip with Buddy Guy!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtMdTaISq_w

ctviggen

« Reply #57 on: 8 Feb 2014, 09:58 pm »

Haven't heard the album the OP referred to so can't comment but my reaction to most recent Clapton has been "Ho-hum." And as 2bigears says, most new music sucks balls.

Really?  I think there's a ton of good music out there.  The new Richard Thompson is very good; I like Mumford & Sons; The Civil Wars; The Lumineers; Of Monsters and Men; Dwight Yoakam; Eric Bibb; The Demberists; Florence and the Machine; Adele; Amy Winehouse; Elton John and Leon Russell; Robert Plant's last few CDs....   There's a lot of great music and it's occurring now. 

I guess if you solely listen to nothing but blues, maybe new music "sucks balls".

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #58 on: 8 Feb 2014, 10:23 pm »
I'm sure that the drugs had a lot to do with it and also the desire to blend in more in the background.
Even so, his work that I like best was done on a 335, SG, Les Paul Firebird or Explorer.  His work with Stratocasters never really did it for me, the tone always seemed too thin.  Too each his own.
I'll take Jeff Beck on Fender, please.

A funny one is for years I just loved Eric's playing on the Layla album and then I read an interview and the guitar playing that I admired so much was actually Duane Allman! 
As an aside, I used to hang out with this one guy in Florida who was buddies with Mr. Clapton and he'd stop by to hang out when he was in the area.  His comment was "Eric's a weird dude" which I found pretty funny.  He wouldn't elaborate, he just repeated it.

dB Cooper

« Reply #59 on: 9 Feb 2014, 03:34 am »