I have a dream...

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
I have a dream...
« on: 19 Apr 2013, 05:42 am »
2014 is coming up sooner or later and I just woke up with a brainstorm:
AVA AVAStar preamp mated with a Dynaco 70W amplifier with a Harman Kardon tube tuner and a SOTA turntable with an SME arm and an Ortofon MC cartridge running through the Mini Maggie System.
I can't do it this year but next year I can make some headway; I already have the preamp and the tuner so that's a start.

Is anyone else designing a system in their heads?

Johnaki

Re: I have a dream...
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2013, 08:04 am »
Is the Minni-Maggie system going to be for your desk, or will this be a small room system?

John

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2013, 09:50 am »
A little of both, I would suppose, but primarily desk to replace a headphone system.
That's about a year away but it will give me something to scheme about.

Emsquare

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2013, 09:43 pm »
You must be and endless source of amusement for "The Wife". She must be well familiar with the phrase "Boys with toys." by now.

I salute you, sir.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2013, 09:55 pm »
I may come back to reality but yes, my wife is a very patient woman.
She knows that I go through stages (guitars, reptiles, stereos, motorcycles, fishing) so she just rolls her eyes and mutters something vile in Spanish.
My family refers to me as a "special needs child" which I should probably find insulting but what can you do?

medium jim

« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2013, 10:11 pm »
Can't go wrong with a Dynaco ST70....

Jim

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2013, 10:18 pm »
Steve I didn't realize you had any more room to get another maggie system in there but can't wait to see if your dream materializes......

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2013, 10:42 pm »
Mini Maggies don't take up any more space than a desk does so we'll see what happens.
Ever since I heard a set I've been thinking about it, on and off.
They're these miniature marvels from Magnepan so maybe mate them Manley Mahi Mahis? 
That's a lot of M's in one sentence.  A Manley Stingray would actually be more like it.

Is anyone else scheming and dreaming about setting up another system?

jk@home

« Reply #8 on: 19 Apr 2013, 10:54 pm »
I've entertained going with Mini mags with double woofers, in my smallish room system, instead of 1.7s. So I will patiently await your verdict.  :D

medium jim

« Reply #9 on: 19 Apr 2013, 11:03 pm »
After putting a brain on it, I could see a vintage system in my future, a pair of AR 2A's a Marantz 2270 and a Pioneer or Thorens TT...simple but toneful..

Jim

*Scotty*

« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2013, 12:22 am »
Steve, all it takes is an empty walk-in closet for your small system.
Now why is that image disturbing???  :lol:
Scotty

Emsquare

« Reply #11 on: 20 Apr 2013, 01:41 am »
I may come back to reality but yes, my wife is a very patient woman.
She knows that I go through stages (guitars, reptiles, stereos, motorcycles, fishing) so she just rolls her eyes and mutters something vile in Spanish.
My family refers to me as a "special needs child" which I should probably find insulting but what can you do?

And to this day I have no idea what Ben-Day-Ho means. I'm not so sure I want to know, yet.

At least you choose interesting things to obsess over. I like guitars. (Taylor 615) I like audio rigs. Reptiles are cool. I almost let someone talk me into Nile monitors because his sounded like they were amazing animals. My next target for disposable income might have to be an ultralight autogyro. If I manage to end myself in one of those at least it would be while learning to fly. I can live with that  :green:

WireNut

« Reply #12 on: 20 Apr 2013, 02:52 am »
Steve, all it takes is an empty walk-in closet for your small system.
Now why is that image disturbing???  :lol:
Scotty

When I was a teenager me and a friend built what we called “The Box”. It was a large folded horn type of cabinet that you would sit inside of, on top of the dual woofers, with the mid range and tweeters hung from the front of “The Box” facing inside at the seated listener.  :rock:  It was awesome. I’ve never forgotten about “The Box”. What a craze idea, but it was kewl at the time. Sometimes I wish I could do it again.  :D

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 20 Apr 2013, 11:25 am »
The box idea might lead to a premature burial as my better half is kind of demented and isn't beyond renting a back hoe...
Don't EVER let anyone give you Nile Monitors as they can be kind of feisty and a 6' long lizard can really inflict some damage.   I keep Dumerils and a White Throat monitor and they're pretty well behaved (for miniature dinosaurs).
I do hear that bendejo and something that sounds like cat's asshole a lot - have you met her?
That walk-in closet reminds me a bit too much of John Wayne Gacey so I'll stick with a desk,

MediumJim,
Maybe some older Martin Logans for the speakers?

Emsquare

« Reply #14 on: 20 Apr 2013, 01:28 pm »
Don't EVER let anyone give you Nile Monitors as they can be kind of feisty and a 6' long lizard can really inflict some damage.   I keep Dumerils and a White Throat monitor and they're pretty well behaved (for miniature dinosaurs).
I do hear that bendejo and something that sounds like cat's asshole a lot - have you met her?

I'll take the advice on the Nile Monitors. People are enamored of their animals but they're not for everyone. It's just the way he described the behavior of his two 'Girls'. In his mind they're not much different than dogs. The more I think about it the more I have to question that assessment. I think monitors tend to harbor hideous bacteria in their saliva and I really don't want to have to explain that at the emergency room. I also tend to wonder about the wisdom in keeping giant constrictors as 'pets'. They're kinda cool at two feet. Twelve feet is another matter. You cannot predict which switch will get flipped in a reptile brain.

I finally looked up bendejo and it's about what I expected. Well you got her to live with big @ss speakers in her home so let's not poke the bear. Modern proverb says happy wife = happy life. Sometimes known as "If momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy" I do not doubt this for one minute.

Hope you enjoy the Mini-Maggies when you get them. Gotta spend the money on something.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 20 Apr 2013, 01:52 pm »
Monitor bites are no fun and their claws are very, very sharp.  They can be rather formidable but mine are all okay to deal with.
My snakes are all perfectly nice but I was warned as a kid to avoid Retics, African Rocks and Anacondas so I took that to heart.  A big one can take me and those guys are all known to snack on primates.
For the ones that I do keep, I've large male Burmese, Indian and Carpet pythons try to combat with me during breeding season so I think they view me as one of the guys.   
I always let them win so they won't get wimped out - Eeeek!  You win, run away, help, Mommy, etc...
They seem to enjoy it when I do that, it makes them feel like tough guys.
The little ones probably view me as the Big Pink Thing with the food.

rw@cn

« Reply #16 on: 20 Apr 2013, 02:19 pm »
You don't live in a warm weather climate do you?  :lol:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 20 Apr 2013, 04:14 pm »
Maybe we should take the varmints to the Exotic Pets thread in the Personal Touch area.
I just counted, I have 29 boas and pythons at the moment and a beautiful Surinam Red Tail boa is keeping me company as I type this.
I guess that I like them or something.

I just thought of something: if you're expecting the Mini Maggie system to replace 1.7s for a good sized room listening situation, stick with the 1.7s.  The Mini will excel near field but won't have the nearly same impact as their larger siblings.

medium jim

« Reply #18 on: 20 Apr 2013, 04:16 pm »
Maybe we should take the varmints to the Exotic Pets thread in the Personal Touch area.
I just counted, I have 29 boas and pythons at the moment and a beautiful Surinam Red Tail boa is keeping me company as I type this.
I guess that I like them or something.

Steve, ever considered moving the Hollywood and renting out your reptiles to the movie industry?  The weather is fine, mid 80's and sunshine 8)

Jim

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 20 Apr 2013, 04:17 pm »
I like that idea a lot!!!