I have a dream...

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
Re: I have a dream...
« Reply #40 on: 25 Apr 2013, 05:19 pm »
Yes, Jim, we certainly do - Music is the Best!  :thumb:

If I could only have one of Monk's albums, it would be this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Live-at-Club-Thelonious-Monk/dp/B0000062F9/ref=sr_1_11?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1366909991&sr=1-11&keywords=thelonious+monk

Emsquare

« Reply #41 on: 25 Apr 2013, 05:40 pm »
Yes, Jim, we certainly do - Music is the Best!  :thumb:

If I could only have one of Monk's albums, it would be this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Live-at-Club-Thelonious-Monk/dp/B0000062F9/ref=sr_1_11?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1366909991&sr=1-11&keywords=thelonious+monk

Done. Thanks Kevin. Will be ordering that with the Pat Matheny.

josh358

« Reply #42 on: 25 Apr 2013, 09:23 pm »
Not doubted for a minute. I'll be turning back to the land of The Classics at some point. I made an attempt to find out what is in the now in the musical landscape. It seems that it is more than I can keep track of so I need to let go of that a bit. I do have difficulty finding harmony with both modern and classical at the same. Somewhat of a left brain vs. right brain exercise, if that makes sense. Finding it a little easier to make that transition as I get older but it is still there. I have three areas I want to hold on to going forward. Classical, modern and playing music. It bothers me that I don't play music anymore. Need to do soemthing about that.
I tend to listen in phases. Some of that is a matter of who I'm hanging out with -- since my tastes are more catholic than many I find it pretty easy to give. Part of it is just that I get bored. But I don't flip back and forth much and I never really thought about why that is. Sometimes, I can find it difficult to flip even within a genre, as when I was listening to a lot of Beethoven and it was jarring to go back to listening to Bach, who is pretty much my default composer. Funny, I was thinking the opposite of you -- that it might be harder to make that transition as we get older. Of course, I also listen differently than I used to, what with a music server and now MOG. One thing I'm thinking about the old way of doing things is that I was exposed to a much wider variety of stuff. It wouldn't have been that easy to focus on stuff even if I'd tried to.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #43 on: 25 Apr 2013, 09:25 pm »
One thing is very clear, Magnepan/Planar owners sure love music :thumb:

Jim

Truer words were never spoken.
I ordered that Jeff Beck DVD and an Imelda May record.
I also ordered a large oriental carpet for the living room to tone down the 20.7s a little bit.
All this before 6AM this morning - next week will be a good one for me!
Then perhaps tomorrow I'll have my refurbished tube tester show up and I'll be in business.
Oh yeah, I broke my Lucille out of mothballs and am getting up to speed on the guitar again.
Yeah, I guess we do like music!

medium jim

« Reply #44 on: 25 Apr 2013, 10:04 pm »
 :rock:
Truer words were never spoken.
I ordered that Jeff Beck DVD and an Imelda May record.
I also ordered a large oriental carpet for the living room to tone down the 20.7s a little bit.
All this before 6AM this morning - next week will be a good one for me!
Then perhaps tomorrow I'll have my refurbished tube tester show up and I'll be in business.
Oh yeah, I broke my Lucille out of mothballs and am getting up to speed on the guitar again.
Yeah, I guess we do like music!

:rock:

Jim

Rclark

« Reply #45 on: 25 Apr 2013, 10:48 pm »

Jim

hear hear!

Pryso

« Reply #46 on: 26 Apr 2013, 06:22 pm »
Concerning Monk, stylistically he didn't change much over the years.  The benefit of that is his many releases after signing with Columbia remain strong.  He never pandered or watered down his performances, that simply was not in his nature.

The real variations came from his solo, compared to quartet/quintet, compared to big band recordings.  Great inspiration can be found in each of those.

MGbert

« Reply #47 on: 27 Apr 2013, 03:19 am »

Jim

I can only speak for myself, but I think it goes further than that.  Not only do I love music (I listen to a lot using IEMs on my long commute into the big city on a train) but I love the SOUND of the instruments that make music, whether ot not they are real vice synthesized.  My Gunned MMGs give me the viceral feeling on a very large percentage of recordings that some of those instruments are actually in the room with me.  Which leads to the next level of enjoyment - marveling in how the audio gear I have pulls off that bit of audible magic!

Harry Pearson said that audio is really a time machine, allowing you to go back to when the music was recorded.  Jim Smith of "Get Better Sound" fame suggested that the real point of audiophilia is to allow the emotional impact that one experiences when you're in the presence of the musicians.  I think they're both right!   :)

MGbert

jimdgoulding

« Reply #48 on: 27 Apr 2013, 03:35 am »
Oh, yeah, Stevie, I've been designing one for the past several weeks.  First up, I would like grander orchestral and instrumental scale in my room and on my virtual stage.  I know that may be recording dependent as much as I know that I have SOME recordings that will benefit from it.  Should be a good match, too, for my 15X12X8' room.  Don't really need much else.  My speakers are time and phase coherent already, just too short and too small.  The speakers that I am focused on auditioning are Magnepan 1.7's.