Re: I have a dream...
« Reply #20 on: 20 Apr 2013, 04:43 pm »
Nile Monitors.

I thought that was a small loudspeaker  :lol:
 Hard to keep plugged in. 

Emsquare

« Reply #21 on: 20 Apr 2013, 08:07 pm »
Maybe we should take the varmints to the Exotic Pets thread in the Personal Touch area.
I just counted, I have 29 boas and pythons at the moment and a beautiful Surinam Red Tail boa is keeping me company as I type this.
I guess that I like them or something.

I just thought of something: if you're expecting the Mini Maggie system to replace 1.7s for a good sized room listening situation, stick with the 1.7s.  The Mini will excel near field but won't have the nearly same impact as their larger siblings.

D@mn dude... I thought to look in your gallery and you have lots of reptile pics. I had no idea what a Dumeril was till I looked there. But I liked the boxer pic best. Boxers have all the canine attributes I like best in spades. Primarily because they're goofy. I'll let the reptile talk rest.

As for the mini-maggie motivation I came across this a few hours ago ... David Byrne & St. Vincent [NPR Live mini concert]

http://youtu.be/98KiqCJSGWw

This almost justifies premium desktop speakers all by itself. And to be certain I am going to see this show when it breezes through North Carolina. It's like a second chance to see the Talking Heads when they were great. More than that it has Annie Clark. I will be keeping track of this woman from this point forward.

http://youtu.be/8f0DKR037PA

I'm a sucker for a pretty face. And synth-pop. And boxers

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #22 on: 20 Apr 2013, 08:43 pm »
Thanks for posting that, everybody who's seen that tour has been really impressed.
What's not to like about a woman in a mini skirt playing a guitar?

So many people listen to music on their computers you'd think they'd be targeting that market a bit more.
They certainly have a lot more to offer than the headphones I have on right now.

Emsquare

« Reply #23 on: 21 Apr 2013, 12:08 pm »
Thanks for posting that, everybody who's seen that tour has been really impressed.
What's not to like about a woman in a mini skirt playing a guitar?

So many people listen to music on their computers you'd think they'd be targeting that market a bit more.
They certainly have a lot more to offer than the headphones I have on right now.

I'm glad that you liked it. It's art and that which is art to one man is rubbish to another.

to state the obvious, computers and the internet have changed the way people are navigating the landscape of music. Although it has displaced radio and the record store (mostly) it has provided possibilities that were never there before. I find more music and artists at a far faster rate than I ever have before. It's daunting to get a complete picture of what is going on in the now. For me it isn't even possible to get that picture because of the rate that it is happening. I find it fairly amusing when I read people bemoan that there hasn't been good music for decades. ... ???

What has this to do with Mini-Maggies? Almost nothing at all. I already have the enormous version of the Mini-Maggie in the 2.6 so I'm more interested in making it happen through those. Neither does that make one choose between the cherished all analog rig and digital medium. All too easy to have both so why choose?

Forgive please but in response to the rhetorical question "What's not to like about a woman in a miniskirt playing guitar?" When it's a girl like Annie Clark it's hard to find something not to like. Other than I'm not dating her. Have a cup of coffee and put the headphones on one last time.

St. Vincent on Austin City Limits (a five song set)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHmF18jAPzA&feature=share&list=PLD48DE574600D856E

Annie understands the electric guitar
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2013, 01:51 pm by Emsquare »

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #24 on: 21 Apr 2013, 01:51 pm »
The thing I find with all of the Maggies I've had so far is that they work very well in the near field. Modern TVs make superb computer monitors (a projector, I imagine, would be even better), so I've abandoned the desk – I have something to use as a surface for paperwork (though, I handle less and less of that thanks to the convenience of paying bills online). Dawnrazor nudged me into setting up a PC that does audio well – I didn't dedicate the PC to that purpose, so I am aware that the setup is compromised (however, it does sound very good, indeed (certainly far better than anything I've ever streamed (but I know the day is coming when that will change))).

Besides, I have other sources, including vinyl and a wonderful (not so) universal (anymore) disc player in that system. It's where my MMG/REL hybrids are. I can lean forward in my rocking recliner and touch them. I've never mentioned this before, but I honestly think the greatest challenge to the future of the minis is the transition away from using a computer while sitting at a desk (I'm not alone in that). Unlike your 2.6s, however, my MMGs differ from the minis in that they don't have true ribbons (and I appreciate the difference). There's no way I could squeeze the 2.6s in the space I have available, but the minis would increase the open space in the room. I just wonder if it would be an improvement – in the context of no desk. The MMGs are a tough act to follow.

YouTube has been an incredible tool in the search for more music. One can find just about anything on YouTube, which enables listening to entire albums. The result is that I've purchased more music and I've done it with greater confidence. Even so, I still buy stuff that I don't like – although, I do appreciate it as art. Contrary to what the Chicken Littles proclaim, art in music is far from dead. I reorganized my CD collection last weekend (for the 2nd time this year) and 63 had to be moved to another (on wall, DIY) rack to keep things alphabetized.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a great time to be alive. :thumb:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 21 Apr 2013, 02:03 pm »
I think I'll sit near field and put on Billie The Mountain - thanks for the idea!

Emsquare

« Reply #26 on: 21 Apr 2013, 09:54 pm »
The thing I find with all of the Maggies I've had so far is that they work very well in the near field. Modern TVs make superb computer monitors (a projector, I imagine, would be even better), so I've abandoned the desk – I have something to use as a surface for paperwork (though, I handle less and less of that thanks to the convenience of paying bills online). Dawnrazor nudged me into setting up a PC that does audio well – I didn't dedicate the PC to that purpose, so I am aware that the setup is compromised (however, it does sound very good, indeed (certainly far better than anything I've ever streamed (but I know the day is coming when that will change))).

Besides, I have other sources, including vinyl and a wonderful (not so) universal (anymore) disc player in that system. It's where my MMG/REL hybrids are. I can lean forward in my rocking recliner and touch them. I've never mentioned this before, but I honestly think the greatest challenge to the future of the minis is the transition away from using a computer while sitting at a desk (I'm not alone in that). Unlike your 2.6s, however, my MMGs differ from the minis in that they don't have true ribbons (and I appreciate the difference). There's no way I could squeeze the 2.6s in the space I have available, but the minis would increase the open space in the room. I just wonder if it would be an improvement – in the context of no desk. The MMGs are a tough act to follow.

YouTube has been an incredible tool in the search for more music. One can find just about anything on YouTube, which enables listening to entire albums. The result is that I've purchased more music and I've done it with greater confidence. Even so, I still buy stuff that I don't like – although, I do appreciate it as art. Contrary to what the Chicken Littles proclaim, art in music is far from dead. I reorganized my CD collection last weekend (for the 2nd time this year) and 63 had to be moved to another (on wall, DIY) rack to keep things alphabetized.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a great time to be alive. :thumb:

Hi Kevin,

Ya, I've not had good experiences with streaming quite yet. My brother is all up in there with it and insists it is what I should be doing. Yet when he tries to demo how cool it is it chokes on us. Grrreeeaaat. That leaves a bad impression about The Cloud for me and I think I'll wait it out until it's a bit more mature. I see the potential. But the reward seems to be that if one puts it off for a few more months then it gets cheaper and faster. I do lack the video presentation in the sound room still. That has to be rectified. Music isn't just about what you hear. Often it's about the people who do it. I'll make my case ...

Stanley Jordan. I can't hardly think of a guitarist I'm more impressed by. I seriously doubt that I'll buy any of his music. It's just not that impressive until you see what he is doing. Lauri Anderson held no fascination for me till I saw her Home of the Brave show. It makes a huge difference when you see certain performances. Just two that comes to mind.

And I could not agree more about streaming content being useful for finding new interests. Count me in for it being better than it has ever been. Not only with streaming media to see performances not normally accessable but with musicians blogs and social media content. You get to know a little bit about who they are as people and what they are listening to. Pretty enlightening I think. I find it kinda surprising how likeable many of them are. A few not so much but that appears to be more the exception nowdays. The buffer between artists and their patrons is much thinner than in the days of big dollar promoters. And the artists seem to actually like it for the most part. I can tell you that the misanthropes aren't going to do as well as they did in the past. I can name a few names but it's mostly based on hear-say.

Can you tell me why there still seems to be so many people that insist that all the good music has faded away? I'm not being rhetorical either. I just wonder if they don't know where to look for it. Jazz has not disappeared. It just morphed into other styles. Jazz was mostly about the improv to begin with.  And I seriously doubt that classical will die out. It will have to compete for the hearts of its audience and the people who want to be in it. Maybe that's more good than bad. Dunno.

Chaos32

« Reply #27 on: 22 Apr 2013, 12:32 am »
SteveFord,

You won't go wrong with the Minis. I have all 4 of the current models excluding the MMG. The Minis are remarkable. It really does share a lot of the traits of the 3.7.

MaggiesAndCats

« Reply #28 on: 22 Apr 2013, 01:44 pm »
Hi Kevin,

Can you tell me why there still seems to be so many people that insist that all the good music has faded away? I'm not being rhetorical either. I just wonder if they don't know where to look for it.

Yes, I would say not knowing where to look is part of the problem.  Given my, ahem, advanced years, I regret the loss of diversity in music on commercial radio.  Commercial radio is as bland as it gets, IMHO.  That's why I went to satellite radio in my car.  I've found many artists, new and old, that I wouldn't have otherwise.  I stream Pandora on my TV while having breakfast to catch music I wouldn't otherwise hear.  It is much easier to find pretty much anything you want these days, but it isn't presented through the medium of my childhood anymore.  If you're aren't willing to adapt you'll complain and wish for "the good old days".  There is amazingly good music being made these days by extremely talented artists in many genres.  It's still there at the flick of a switch if you know where the switch is.

Regards,

Steve

Emsquare

« Reply #29 on: 23 Apr 2013, 09:52 pm »
MaggiesAndCats,

All I can do is speculate as to the reasons. I understand it if one is pining for what is considered divine in classical. That may not be coming back in the way of new inspired compositions that match the offerings of history's revered composers. Who can say with any certainty? If it is because there is precious little of the FM dial well that's pretty much so. I think a lot of us 'old dogs' took a lot of their cues for what was hot from a favorite radio station and the local record shop. I did love the cut out bin. A buck or two could score you something special when you got lucky.

I also have to think that some of us are somewhat stuck in their genres and appetites. I've experienced that. I also don't think it is that different from the cuisines one is used to. You have to take risks on new experiences before you start to develop a taste for it. I think the way our minds relate to music is not unlike that. Personally I find Coltrane or Mahler daunting to process. Still haven't made my mind up if I will ever 'get it' with them. But I will revisit artists like these from time to time. It seems like there has to be something to it even if I don't see it yet.

josh358

« Reply #30 on: 24 Apr 2013, 10:27 pm »
You have to take risks on new experiences before you start to develop a taste for it. I think the way our minds relate to music is not unlike that. Personally I find Coltrane or Mahler daunting to process. Still haven't made my mind up if I will ever 'get it' with them. But I will revisit artists like these from time to time. It seems like there has to be something to it even if I don't see it yet.
Yep. I've made some new discoveries in the last year. But it takes a bit of concentrated listening. I have a lot more respect for Wagner than I used to -- the Meistersinger is very fine -- as well as for Verdi, who isn't I think as shallow as he pretends to be. For what it's worth, Mahler has never clicked for me. He certainly tries, but he seems to me a composer with more craft than talent.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 24 Apr 2013, 10:33 pm »
I've got two decent college stations in my area and one jazz station and every once in a while something new will come along that will catch my attention but I've given up on waiting for the "next" Beatles as it's just not gonna happen.
One way of discovering new (to me) musicians is when someone I'm really familiar with will have them as a guest artist.  Jeff Beck is good at this and no, I don't mean Josh Stone.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #32 on: 24 Apr 2013, 11:50 pm »
Jeff Beck is good at this and no, I don't mean Josh Stone.

I think you mean Joss Stone, and I'm not a fan either.

There's nothing worth hearing on the FM dial in my neck of the woods - absolutely nothing.
Pandora is pretty cool - made some good discoveries listening to it at the shop.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 25 Apr 2013, 12:03 am »
You can tell I'm not much of a fan when I give her a sex change!
Imogene Heap was a really good Jeff Beck guest star - his version of Diving Duck with her is great.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #34 on: 25 Apr 2013, 12:15 am »
I'm with you there as well. :thumb:
When she sings "Rollin' and Tumblin'"...well, you know. :lol:

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #35 on: 25 Apr 2013, 12:45 am »
Stanley Jordan. I can hardly think of a guitarist I'm more impressed by. I seriously doubt that I'll buy any of his music. It's just not that impressive until you see what he is doing. Lauri Anderson held no fascination for me till I saw her Home of the Brave show. It makes a huge difference when you see certain performances. Just two that comes to mind.

Stanley is pretty amazing to watch. I still have a hard time getting my head around playing a guitar with one hand while playing a piano with the other. I can't think that way. He is not only a special guitarist, but he's a wonderful human being (at least, that's my impression).

If you don't have it, buy Pat Metheny's 'Orchestrion' BluRay - really cool performance to watch (as well as hear). Imagine being able to play a piano (along with many other instruments) with a guitar (and some brilliant robotics).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faendyU73Wc

I've never even looked for anything Laurie Anderson - I know I've heard something because she's filed in my 'not interested' folder. I'm game for a youtube investigation.
« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2013, 12:47 pm by kevin360 »

medium jim

« Reply #36 on: 25 Apr 2013, 02:20 am »
Jeff Beck with Imelda May, say no more....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY0rbcNlfTk

Jim

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #37 on: 25 Apr 2013, 09:13 am »
That was good! 
That whole album is a lot of fun.

It's out on BluRay and DVD, too.  I'd better pick that up as I only have the CD.

Emsquare

« Reply #38 on: 25 Apr 2013, 03:47 pm »
Yep. I've made some new discoveries in the last year. But it takes a bit of concentrated listening. I have a lot more respect for Wagner than I used to -- the Meistersinger is very fine -- as well as for Verdi, who isn't I think as shallow as he pretends to be. For what it's worth, Mahler has never clicked for me. He certainly tries, but he seems to me a composer with more craft than talent.

Not doubted for a minute. I'll be turning back to the land of The Classics at some point. I made an attempt to find out what is in the now in the musical landscape. It seems that it is more than I can keep track of so I need to let go of that a bit. I do have difficulty finding harmony with both modern and classical at the same. Somewhat of a left brain vs. right brain exercise, if that makes sense. Finding it a little easier to make that transition as I get older but it is still there. I have three areas I want to hold on to going forward. Classical, modern and playing music. It bothers me that I don't play music anymore. Need to do soemthing about that.

Stanley is pretty amazing to watch. I still have a hard time getting my head around playing a guitar with one hand while playing a piano with the other. I can't think that way. He is not only a special guitarist, but he's a wonderful human being (at least, that's my impression).

If you don't have it, buy Pat Metheny's 'Orchestrion' BluRay - really cool performance to watch (as well as hear).

I've never even looked for anything Laurie Anderson - I know I've heard something because she's filed in my 'not interested' folder. I'm game for a youtube investigation.

Stanley Jordan is a freak of nature on the guitar. He took tap technique farther than anyone I've seen. I watched an arrangement he did and caught that he was articulating the lead, rhythm and a bass line all at once in parts of it. You almost have to play the guitar to get what he is pulling off. The man does walk overs on the fretboard. Most keyboardists won't even try that playing piano and to pull it off doing tap on guitar? I would not have thought it possible had I not seen it. What occurs to me is that I really need to add video to the sound system. Perhaps then I can start collecting & streaming these kind of things and make it worth while.

I YouTubed Orchestrion on your recommendation. Wow. I'm buying that.

Lauri Anderson ... Even she jokes that her music is "Difficult Listening Hour". Home Of The Brave is the show to study of hers. It can be accessed by means of YouTube. Not so easy to process because of how many elements are woven together. Example; she makes up her own instruments. The tape bow violin. (early concept pictured below) A jumpsuit with pressure pads sewn into it which makes it a electronic drum kit you can wear. You will know when you see it. The prose that she writes for her songs can be amazing. Adrian Belew has the guitar on this one. (Bonus!) I've watched this concert movie a number of times and keep seeing things in it that I hadn't really noticed before.

Beyond Home Of The Brave I feel that Mr Heartbreak and Strange Angels are her best studio albums.  At  least her most accessable ones anyway. I have most everything she has done and I'm still thwarted by some of her other albums. Still I suspect they will sink in at a later time.

Question. I remember that you are a Thelonious Monk fan. Starter album for the uninitiated like myself?
« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2013, 05:37 pm by Emsquare »

medium jim

« Reply #39 on: 25 Apr 2013, 03:49 pm »
One thing is very clear, Magnepan/Planar owners sure love music :thumb:

Jim